• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Official Thread

Varna said:
Nvidia released some beta drivers especially for this release. They are said to improve performance quiet a bit on FEAR 2 and other recent games (Fallout 3, Left4dead).

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_182.05_beta.html
Don't mind if I do. Not like Fear 2's performance really needs improvement though. Perfectly content with the demo running at 61FPS average.

Kuroyume said:
Hah. How quaint.

HokieJoe

Other than the motion simulation when walking crouched, (it makes me dizzy) I really like the demo. The weapon variety is nice, and I like the old-school FPS vibe allowing me to carry more than 2-3 weapons at a time. The Mech level alone makes this game worthy- love it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Much like FEAR 1, I feel like I am totally missing every scare event. Screen goes bonkers, I pan around to see whatsup, probably because I am looking in a direction Monolith didn't intend, then it goes back to normal and I'm like '...?'. Where the fuck is Alma??

element

Dazzyman said:
Anyone got PS3 version and is the framerate issues causing slowdown (not the bloody ingame slowdown before anyone gets sarky lol) gone from the demo? Just Im undecided whether to go for this on either 360 or PS3 (demo wise it would be 360 but Im hoping they improved final code). Cheers.
Get the 360 version.

Just beat the single player campaign with my friend John and I need someone to explain to me
what the fuck I just watched. So you kill your two former teammates who "wanted" Alma only to have you FUCK her and impregnate her in the end? WHAT THE HELL. Isn't Alma 15 years old? Both my friend and I wondered why she was making orgasm sounds in the ending of the game until we saw she was pregnant. Seriously, what the fuck.
element said:
Get the 360 version.
From what I played today (both versions, beat it on friend's 360, played it majority of the time on PS3), the 360 one seemed just as bad and, in fact, texture popping was worse on the 360 version than the PS3 one.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wii Will Rock U said:
Just beat the single player campaign with my friend John and I need someone to explain to me
what the fuck I just watched. So you kill your two former teammates who "wanted" Alma only to have you FUCK her and impregnate her in the end? WHAT THE HELL. Isn't Alma 15 years old? Both my friend and I wondered why she was making orgasm sounds in the ending of the game until we saw she was pregnant. Seriously, what the fuck.

From what I played today (both versions, beat it on friend's 360, played it majority of the time on PS3), the 360 one seemed just as bad and, in fact, texture popping was worse on the 360 version than the PS3 one.

Alma is not 15, she was 15 when she gave birth to the character from the first FEAR, and if I remember correctly something like 25 years old when they pulled life support from her pod thinger.

Nizz

Wii Will Rock U said:

How's the framerate holding up in the PS3 version? Was it better/worse than the demo?

As someone who is not that into FPS's, the TV spot I caught recently made the game look very tempting. Plus, the demo made it seem as though the horror aspects are integrated much more organicly than the were in the first. While I doubt I will pay full price, if the story gets good marks from GAF posters & Co. it may be a hard wait.

element

well here is what I remember...
Alma is actually in her 30's or something, she was the mom of Point Man and Fettell. Well she wants another baby and she is looking for someone. Alma tries to seduce members of Delta Squad through the entire game, and she finds out that you are the most powerful or receptive to her. Genevieve Aristide knows this as well (that you are the most gifted). Alma knows she is ugly, so and uses different versions of her to get what she wants. So she projects herself as a attractive older version of herself to seduce Beckett. There are actually three different versions of Alma. The young Alma, the 'pretty' Alma, and normal Alma.

Nizz

Gekko87 said:
I didn't get slowdown on my ps3, the demo I mean.
If you didn't see slowdown in that demo, God bless you. I guess you're not sensitive to that, but I sure noticed the framedrops...

Wii Will Rock U said:

Heads up

If anyone can get ahold of the "Genevive" Document that came with the preorder, I highly suggest you check it out. I just read all 60+ pages of it and it really is fantastic how much is summed up in it.

Playing through FEAR2 is going to be that much more awesome now....really hope Monolith makes it available in PDF form or something on the website at some point...

not far in (still on interval 2) but so far so good.

F.E.A.R. 2 isn't a gourmet meal or anything. it's not the sort of thing you'd eat in a fancy restaurant... it's more of a cheeseburger.

but it's the kind of cheeseburger you'd drive forty minutes to eat no matter how crazy your friends think you are.

on paper there's nothing special, and maybe in practice there's nothing special. some people will say it's just a cheeseburger and then go off to some four star restaurant and have some tiny millet mignons with artful fresh herbs carefully arranged on the plate and wonder why the hell you're eating a grease bomb out of a wax paper wrapper...

but they don't know what they're missing.

because F.E.A.R. 2 may just be a cheese burger, but it's like a cheese burger from Shack Shake. it's everything you'd expect out of a cheeseburger with no surprises... but it's so damn good it reminds you why cheeseburgers got popular in the first place.

element said:
haha. the trigger failed :lol
That guy is suppose to fall and go splat at the bottom floor.
Oh that's it?
Thought it would've been something cooler.

At first I thought it was some kind of new wall-crawling civilian enemy, even fought it for a few seconds before I realized it wasn't doing anything back. :lol
Weird that it didn't trigger.

TheListener said:
You can tell it's not the first game because of the grain filter.
Don't forget the visor. It was a standard HUD in FEAR 1.

the first level i really liked...but the second ("hospital") just goes on and on and on through underground labyrinths forever until you are begging the game..."please just let me get outside". hours pass. then finally...you get outside for 15 seconds...then are back in hallways and tunnels again. sob sob. doesn't feel like the team learned their lesson about making repetitive samey levels from fear1. although "hospital" was torture i still have a little faith that they will change things up.

edit: ok, been playing some more. i was wrong. outside really is mostly outside. feels more like condemned now where you are outside then go in dilapidated buildings, then back out. just fought the dude who raises the dead...was awesome.

Guy Legend

Just played the demo on the PS3. My first FEAR experience and wow, that was awesome. The controls, gun play, destructible environments were very good. I wasn't even considering getting this game, but the demo has put it on my purchasing radar.

Nikorasu

plagiarize said:

F.E.A.R. 2 isn't a gourmet meal or anything. it's not the sort of thing you'd eat in a fancy restaurant... it's more of a cheeseburger.

but it's the kind of cheeseburger you'd drive forty minutes to eat no matter how crazy your friends think you are.

on paper there's nothing special, and maybe in practice there's nothing special. some people will say it's just a cheeseburger and then go off to some four star restaurant and have some tiny millet mignons with artful fresh herbs carefully arranged on the plate and wonder why the hell you're eating a grease bomb out of a wax paper wrapper...

because F.E.A.R. 2 may just be a cheese burger, but it's like a cheese burger from Shack Shack. it's everything you'd expect out of a cheeseburger with no surprises... but it's so damn good it reminds you why cheeseburgers got popular in the first place.

:lol awesome.

Sinatar said:
Game has been out 2 days and steam still hasn't unlocked it.

Doubleyou Tee Eff.

And not even a preload...for a 12 gb game. Bad form valve.

Shawsie64

Banned
plagiarize said:

because F.E.A.R. 2 may just be a cheese burger, but it's like a cheese burger from Shack Shack. it's everything you'd expect out of a cheeseburger with no surprises... but it's so damn good it reminds you why cheeseburgers got popular in the first place.

Fucking awesome post! :lol

Flunkie

Banned
plagiarize said:

:lol :lol :lol

So awesome.

And when you think of it, it's kinda true, too.

Combine

Banned
Sinatar said:
Game has been out 2 days and steam still hasn't unlocked it.

Doubleyou Tee Eff.
Nikorasu said:
And not even a preload...for a 12 gb game. Bad form valve.
Seriously, it'll probably take me until the Weekend to get it all. Valve really dropped the ball on this one.

Edwood

How's the multiplayer for the 360?

Does the graphics look as good as the single player campaign?

How's the netcode? Laggy bugfest? or not?

Just played for about 3 hours
outside the hospital in the caverns now

....fuuuuuuck! :D

Epitome of solid, kick-ass shooter.

Quick impressions:

First level: Fear 1 clone, boring, fucking endless office corridors...

Second Level: Fear 1 clo... wait a minute...nice graphics, non-generic scary moments, new enemies and weapons. Intense at times.

Who knows how this will turn out but at this point its classic Monolith [for better or worse]. The game is exactly as you might imagine: Fear 1 with better graphics, better levels, better scares. Its hard for me to imagine someone who liked games like Deadspace not liking this. A lot.

No regrets on the purchase.

True true about 1st area ....it throws you off but maybe that was on purpose. In the 2nd area, things got immediately more exciting!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well the steam store shows it as available now, but my preorder still won't download, I imagine that'll change shortly enough.

Brakara

dark10x said:
Can anyone confirm gamepad support in the PC version? I believe someone from Monolith stated it would be there, but I just wanted to make certain.

Aren't Games for Windows titles required to support the 360 controller?

Nikorasu

Game is an hour late on steam. Fsck I'm going to bed. I was hoping to have this ready when I have time to play it tomorrow. :(

Cheeseburgers got popular because its basically the perfect "panino": Bread, meat and fresh vegetables, and tasty if the ingredeints are good.You don't need anything else in a meal.

It's not popular cause was fuckin' taken as the vehicle for a massive commercial operation that uses the worst ingredients and aims for being eaten in the fastest way possible (aka cha-ching!), and lazy people just eat them with a "whatever, i'm a proud one" written on their shirt. But that's the common situation nowadays.

Now, this reminds you why FEAR2 and those kind of fast-selling cheesburgers got popular in the first place.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just found out that Activision is digitally distribution FEAR + Extraction Point for $29.99. Webpage is here.

I'll buy and play through the original before I pick up 2.

Dazzyman

fps fanatic said:
How's the framerate holding up in the PS3 version? Was it better/worse than the demo?

Indeed if you let us know frame rate on PS3 please. And please let us know if you played the demo and spotted it as if you didnt then theirs no point asking as the demo was foooking shocking on PS3 for slowdown over 360 version. I just want best version dont care about the badge before anyone starts as have both machines :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
plagiarize said:
dark, seems like no pad support. not that i could find anyways.
Yeah, I found that out myself. I decided to give the game a shot and I am enjoying it a lot more than the original thus far, but I'm really disappointed with the lack of pad support.

Someone from Monolith actually confirmed its inclusion, yet it is missing in the final. I don't get it. I see no reason why they would not include it. They could simply disable it during multiplayer if that was the issue.

jmdajr

Seems like the reviewers cant agree if the game is scary or not.

Personally from the demo, I found it pretty creepy. I don't think I could play for
hours on end. I would get too jittery.

I suppose some folks just don't scare easily.

TheOddOne

I've just played the first level. It has its creepy moments,
especially when going into Alma's memories. I walked away from the scene where Alama is shitting on the swing, then got fastforwarded to her :lol
.Just like the first F.E.A.R. its has those moments of ''something is going to happen here and yet i'm gonna be suprised''
(like the hospital part, when waking up)
. When going trough the level i tried to find as many diaries as possible, there pretty fun to read and intresting (unlike other games).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I honestly don't find it scary at all. It relies entirely on cheap scares. They look nifty, but never really leave much of an impression beyond that.

One thing that I've been thinking about is the basic design of the game. I think FEAR could have benefited from a less linear layout. Imagine if they took a more "Thief - The Dark Project" or Hitman approach to level design in that you had an objective and were able to go about it as you pleased. I like to the idea of busting into a building rather than following a series of linear pathways. Actually exploration would have been welcomed. They could still have focused on intense shootouts.

Varna

Nikorasu said:
Game is an hour late on steam. Fsck I'm going to bed. I was hoping to have this ready when I have time to play it tomorrow. :(

Way more then an hour late now... I can't believe it. This is the last time I preorder a game off Steam. I can't even start the download (which is 11 gigs apparently) before I go to work.

dark10x said:
Yeah, I found that out myself. I decided to give the game a shot and I am enjoying it a lot more than the original thus far, but I'm really disappointed with the lack of pad support.

Someone from Monolith actually confirmed its inclusion, yet it is missing in the final. I don't get it. I see no reason why they would not include it. They could simply disable it during multiplayer if that was the issue.
it's espescially weird to me given that F.E.A.R. was one of the first games that i remember working with the 360 pad out of the box, and that wasn't even a multiplatform release.

it has scared me a couple of times. the stuff that really gets me is the times things appear behind you. you check behind yourself and for a split second, there she is.

'scary' is always subjective. the thing that worked really well about the first FEAR for me, that still seems to work here, is that i get so into the combat that i forget i'm playing a scary game and drop my guard. spooky sections don't really get me cause i attune to it, but that first scare after a period of combat... that's the one that makes me tense. that's the one that gets me.

ram

what a crap game, especially after playing killzone 2.

- visuals are mediocre at best, i hate the fucking grain filter (or whatever makes the picture blurry)
- controls on ps3 are dates (no custom config, firering at r1)
- nothing scary or shocking in the game

after condemnes 2 the next crap games from monolith. they used to be sooo good, but this times are long gone...

ram said:
- visuals are mediocre at best

I'd just like to say, if you think this games visuals are mediocre at best. I feel bad for you. You must think half the shit that comes out now adays is mediocre. Besides Killzone 2 of course.

Edwood

How's the Multiplayer experience for the 360?

Does it suck that bad? No one else has tried it?

I've only seen one post about it, and it was not a good experience.

Top Bottom