• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

I've got a 5850, 4gb RAM and a Phenom II X4 955 so I'm hoping that it will run as smoothly as Dirt 2 on my computer.

The High Res PC Screenshot thread better be full of gorgeous shots soon :D

Those comparison pictures say no hotlinking. Actual link?

markao

Stallion Free said:
Other than the rain, not at all. In fact it almost looks less demanding as there is far less foliage on your average track and Grid ran excellently on track-based tracks.
Besides the additional cars and weather effects, don't forget, it is easier to optimize a fantasy track then something that's based on Real Live.

Most RL tracks have certain parts, mainly around the pit area & S&F line, that are more busy then other parts of the track and don't forget the huge difference between a desert and Monaco ;) In fantasy tracks you can move things around, add them, use less demanding stuff that still looks good, this is harder to pull of when you are recreating reality.

So I would expect F1 2010 to be slightly more demanding and a little more fluctuation in performance between different scenarios, compared to Dirt2. However I must say, that does PCHardware numbers (FPS) were a little lower then I expected, hope the DX11 version will not be to much more demanding.

19Kilo

Kinda worried about my little 4870 after seeing some of those benchmarks. Although it gets nice performance in Dirt2, hopefully it's up to snuff for F1 2010.

ACH1LL3US

Those comparios shots... is the pc version at 1080p? The difference between the PC and console versions is striking to say the least wow! The more I look at F1 2010, the more I realize its going to be more demanding then Dirt 2 :/

ACH1LL3US

Nabs said:
you should stop stressing it, your computer is going to kill this game.

I hope so.. I will def post in here and see how it goes! Does FRAPS normally lower fps ingame? I dont know how else to monitor the fps while playing to see if I can get a constant 60fps

ACH1LL3US

chespace said:
Needs photomode and/or at least a way for us to use a trackside/cinematic cam that isn't baked into their preset replay script.

That's one thing that's frustrated me about the Codies racing games. Such a missed opportunity since their games always look so great.

Hey Che! Have you guys ever thought of bringing Forza 3 to the pc? What is holding you guys back from doing that? I would imagine that game would look redunkulous on the pc ;)

Blackvette94 said:
Hey Che! Have you guys ever thought of bringing Forza 3 to the pc? What is holding you guys back from doing that? I would imagine that game would look redunkulous on the pc ;)

To answer your question, I would assume Microsoft. And Che doesn't work for Turn 10 anymore.

ACH1LL3US

Bungieware said:
To answer your question, I would assume Microsoft. And Che doesn't work for Turn 10 anymore.

Oh, I didn't know he left Turn 10 :/ I dont understand why Microsoft would prevent the game from coming out on the pc, in all honesty I dont see the pc gaming market a threat to console gaming... two different beasts. Maybe they think it wouldnt sell well? I dunno

AcridMeat

Banned
Welp according to this I have the exact recommended card. I'm less worried now, but still think I'll only get a max of around 35-40fps. Oh well, I'll lower settings as I see fit.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Damn. I have a GTX 260, i5 750, 4GB rig. I can run Dirt 2 well, but F1 looks like it will be problematic. Ugh, what a letdown.

moojito

DenogginizerOS said:
Damn. I have a GTX 260, i5 750, 4GB rig. I can run Dirt 2 well, but F1 looks like it will be problematic. Ugh, what a letdown.

Aye, pc gaming master race is all well and good, if you can afford the constant upgrades!

I'm not usually in to GAF's online groups but I'd like to be included with this so I could race with people who aren't dickheads and just ram you off the road. :lol

Presumably -_-

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
moojito said:
Aye, pc gaming master race is all well and good, if you can afford the constant upgrades!
Or suck it up and move a couple of sliders from maximum to high, or even -puking noises- to medium.

poppabk said:
Or suck it up and move a couple of sliders from maximum to high, or even -puking noises- to medium.

faint.gif

TylerD

Looks like 1680x1050 is not going to happen with my HD4850, 3.2 core 2 duo, 4 gb ram machine. I had planned on running this on my 46' TV so should I be able to run a lower resolution but keep the same aspect ratio so it properly fills the screen and doesn't stretch?

Do you think 720p and high settings would get me better than 30 fps avg and look a lot better than that poor poor ps3 version? Will it even have 1280 x 720 as an option? D:

I have a g25 so the 360 version is out of the question.

Lucius86

Banned
TylerD said:
Looks like 1680x1050 is not going to happen with my HD4850, 3.2 core 2 duo, 4 gb ram machine. I had planned on running this on my 46' TV so should I be able to run a lower resolution but keep the same aspect ratio so it properly fills the screen and doesn't stretch?

Do you think 720p and high settings would get me better than 30 fps avg and look a lot better than that poor poor ps3 version? Will it even have 1280 x 720 as an option? D:

I have a g25 so the 360 version is out of the question.

I would be surprised if you can't get that res. Don't run any AA or AF and bump the resolution up.

I suppose we won't really find out til launch day...

Blackvette94 said:
Oh, I didn't know he left Turn 10 :/ I dont understand why Microsoft would prevent the game from coming out on the pc, in all honesty I dont see the pc gaming market a threat to console gaming... two different beasts. Maybe they think it wouldnt sell well? I dunno

If Forza 3 came to PC I would double dip just so I could use my G27 for that game. Can you imagine how much more you could crank up the detail?! :eek:

AcridMeat

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm not usually in to GAF's online groups but I'd like to be included with this so I could race with people who aren't dickheads and just ram you off the road. :lol

Presumably -_-

What is your steamy steam?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Blackvette94 said:
I tried to read that German website... it doesnt look good performance wise for this game on the pc..

I wanted to run the game at 1920x1080 with 4x AA and 16 AF,max details at 60 FPS... anyone know if the below system will come close to doing that??

i7 980x @ 4.5ghz
gtx 480 at 900mhz
ddr3 6gb at 2000mhz

Do I have any chance at running the game at the settings outline above??

Blackvette out of curiosity what are you using to overclock your cpu to 4.5ghz? I am looking to upgrade my cpu and wondering if I should with the Core i7 980 or 960

Animal

Banned
Well after a bit of thought, I'm not worried about running this game.

The console versions seem to be running around 720p resolution so if you set your resolution to that, I'm sure you'll blow the console versions out of the water by bringing the effects up a notch.

I'm rollin' a i7 920 @ 3.8, an overclocked 260GTX 216SP and 6GB of DDR3 RAM at 1600Mhz.

Even If none of my components were overclocked, I'd be running 720p at very high settings I imagine. I know 1080p range is nice and all but 720p is far the dumps.

Also where are the DX10 benchmarks?

ACH1LL3US

isamu said:
Blackvette out of curiosity what are you using to overclock your cpu to 4.5ghz? I am looking to upgrade my cpu and wondering if I should with the Core i7 980 or 960

Hey Isamu, I have the cpu, gpu and mobo all water cooled, i have it cooled by a 480mm radiator and a 240mm radiator all on a single loop. You may be able to get the 980x to 4.5 on air but will def run alot hotter then water cooled :)

Lucius86

Banned
I seriously think you guys are overestimating how demanding this game will be. Worried a GTX 260 with a core i7 can't run the game at 720P? I would DEMAND 1080P resolution from that system.

The early hardware sites do not make this out to be a Crysis...

Dilly

Banned
Exactly, I play DIRT2 on highest settings with an C2D E6400@2.4, I really doubt people with an i7 are going to struggle to play this game which has the same engine.

It will probably be more demanding because of the weather and AI system, but Codies always managed to optimize their engine in new games.

Sloane

Banned
Got a chance to play the review code at a friend's last night, some impressions:

- The driving itself does feel pretty good, especially in wet conditions. When it's dry, the game seems to be a bit too forgiving at times (when driving over curbs, for example) but overall I can't complain. What bothered me a bit was the sensibility of the controls. I was using the analog stick of the gamepad but it felt like I was driving with the D-Pad, if that makes any sense? Maybe there's an option to change the sensibility, I didn't check.

- The AI was doing a pretty good job at blocking my overtaking attempts but they crashed into me a few times when I was clearly in front. Might be realistic unless it happens to often, I can't tell from the limited time I've played.

- Set-ups don't seem to have much influence on the driving and the options are pretty limited but that was to be expected.

- I was incredibly annoyed by the damage system (and Codemasters' attempts to cover it up). Unless you drive at 300 km/h into a wall, the worst that can really happen during a race is a broken front wing. What happened to Hamilton in Monza seems impossible to recreate in the game. I tried to get the car flying by driving on another car's tires but that didn't seem to work either. :lol

- I noticed a few slowdowns, most of them happened while driving through the pit lane. (Does anyone know if drive-through penalties exist, by the way? I hit another car once during a race and was only told that 10 seconds would be added at the end of the race.)

- Load times felt pretty long.

- Multiplayer doesn't work yet (I think) and I didn't have enough time to try the campaign, so no impressions on that. You probably know about missing features, so I won't list them.

All in all, I strongly disagree with everyone who compares F1 2010 to Geoff Crammond's works. The Grand Prix games were deep simulations of the sport while F1 2010, in my opinion, is a great looking arcade game with a relatively realistic driving model, but still an arcade game. And that's perfectly fine -- if you don't expect a simulation, it's definitely fun and you'll probably be happy with it.

PeteJ

- I noticed a few slowdowns, most of them happened while driving through the pit lane. (Does anyone know if drive-through penalties exist, by the way? I hit another car once during a race and was only told that 10 seconds would be added at the end of the race.)
I might have got this wrong so someone may correct me, but I believe that you get drive throughs on the longer race settings.

Were you playing it on expert?

Sloane

Banned
PeteJ said:
I might have got this wrong so someone may correct me, but I believe that you get drive throughs on the longer race settings.
Yeah, that's possible. I was playing on a custom setting, I think, with helps off except for manual shifting which I hate without having a proper steering wheel. Another thing I've noticed was that Lotus and Virgin were often racing at P12 or something. Might have been a coincidence though or their strength is more accurate in Live the Life? Don't know.

TylerD

Ok, I am feeling better about my rig and running this game after downloading Dirt 2 demo and running through a bunch of benchmarks at 720p running on my TV. I should easily be able to surpass the ps3 version in graphical quality with a much better framerate.

F1 2010 is preloading! :D

Juicy Bob

Sloane said:
Got a chance to play the review code at a friend's last night, some impressions:

*snip*

All in all, I strongly disagree with everyone who compares F1 2010 to Geoff Crammond's works. The Grand Prix games were deep simulations of the sport while F1 2010, in my opinion, is a great looking arcade game with a relatively realistic driving model, but still an arcade game. And that's perfectly fine -- if you don't expect a simulation, it's definitely fun and you'll probably be happy with it.

Thanks for that. From the sounds of it, this game is everything I was expecting it to be. As much as I can't help feeling a bit disappointed with some of the gameplay aspects, it seems as if Codemasters have delivered where it really matters most - a challenging but accessible driving model and a rewarding racing experience with the AI.

1-D_FTW

Joined the steam group. Muhahaha, just lowered the group average from 18 hours a week to 14. Guess they don't give credit for hours even when I launch Starcraft 2 through Steam.

Most people don't read the OP once you get past page 1. Probably have the most luck with an online thread. That way we can also list Steam ID and Live ID.

GuessWho

very excited about the game and got it for pc, but after seeing those performance charts...urgh.

I have a 8800gt...I'm still confident though.

Top Bottom