• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Dragnet

Christ, judging by that video, it seems that Anthony Davidson thinks the game is 'Anthony Davidsons F1 2010'. I this, I that..

19Kilo

Helios_CM said:
There will defo be an F1 2011, plus we also have an option with FOM for 2012.

Oh, and while I'm here, I've linked below to another quality vid from Autosport with plenty of crisp gameplay footage along with Ant Davidsons views on the game. Some of the Monaco footage looks amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZeGbQ0fojo

Interlagos in the wet also looks like it will be a blast.

One thing I noticed - do the AI driver's cars not produce any spray during replays? I noticed a bit of spray early in the video during gameplay but none during the replay later in the video. Also, the player's car seems to be generating a huge spray during the replay - much more than the AI cars are putting out during gameplay.

Nitpicking, I know, and not a big deal for me - just curious.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Helios_CM said:

Oh, and while I'm here, I've linked below to another quality vid from Autosport with plenty of crisp gameplay footage along with Ant Davidsons views on the game. Some of the Monaco footage looks amazing.

Yes, yes it does look amazing. Squint and...
your eyes will hurt

Anyway, 2 weeks until we get racing, I can't wait. SO how many people are going for the PC version and how many will be playing online? I'd love to get some GAF racing going.

Seanspeed

Banned
Helios_CM said:

Pretty sweet! Good to finally see a driver who's decent make a lap.

AcridMeat

Banned
Welp I did it, I pre-ordered on steam. Now I need people who did the same, as no one on my list has it.

edit: Oh god please let there be a pre-load before release. 12.5gb is going to take me like 3 days. :(

ksimm

AcridMeat said:
Welp I did it, I pre-ordered on steam. Now I need people who did the same, as no one on my list has it.

edit: Oh god please let there be a pre-load before release. 12.5gb is going to take me like 3 days. :(
Heh i feel your pain. I will be downloading it at 180KB/sec with my lightning broadband!
I still refuse to buy physical PC games, even if they do take days to download. :lol

I'm really looking forward to this, my only worry though is the damage on hard. All the vids I've seen look a bit weak and rubbery when it comes to collisions. Everything else looks really promising though, and I'm especially excited for the wet weather.

Helios_CM said:

I want that that F1 wheel on my G27 too!

bmks508scoxen4hg8.jpg

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Supervlieg said:
Pc is not an option for now. I want to play this on my couch and the big screen. So the q remains. Ps3 or 360?

Does your TV have a dvi, hdmi or vga input? If so, move your pc out of your office/den area and place it right next to the TV. Problem solved :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
How many of you will skip the single player career mode and go straight to online racing? I usually have the patience to put the online mode on hold and complete the entire single player campaign in the racing games I play, but this time I don't know if I can stand it. The urge to hop online will be too strong! Especially knowing there will likely be hundreds of thousands of players out there racing online as well.

Am I the only one that will not be able to resist jumping into online multiplayer right away?

1-D_FTW

I'll probably resist and use single-player practice to level myself up to mediocrity. Once I've played every track a couple times and have a basic grip on the control, I'll hop on.

We need to have a online thread once it launches. DaFish is the only Steam friend I have with the game.

moojito

I think a lot of people who don't know the tracks will go straight online and every raice will be a massive pile up at turn 1. I'll certainly make sure I can drive properly before going online.

NHale

DieH@rd said:
How are blue flags implemented in SP and MP? What are the penalties for not obeying them [expecially in MP] ?

I hope there are no blue flags in MP because those don't work with the online community in public games. In GRID everyone that lost any chance to win or get in the podium, would quit and stop the car in the middle of a blind corner so you would crash against them. Imagine driving in Monaco with people like that, everyone would DNF.

I pry that F1 2010 is like Dirt 2 where the slower car that is getting 1 lap behind, becomes a ghost car so they can't block you or try to ruin your race doing juvenile stuff like in GRID.

EDIT: Found a video with some of the stuff those people did in GRID. A blue flag would clearly be effective :lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOq26B-ckCc

moojito said:
I think a lot of people who don't know the tracks will go straight online and every raice will be a massive pile up at turn 1. I'll certainly make sure I can drive properly before going online.

Even when they know the tracks, they refuse to brake in the 1st corner. Those people like to crash and hope you get badly damaged. It's why playing a "serious" racing game in public matches is a nightmare.

jlevel13

NHale said:
It's why playing a "serious" racing game in public matches is a nightmare.

This X 10. I honestly feel this game will (unfortunately) be a nightmare online, I mean, I will definitely try it out, but see myself playing mostly offline in single player and time trials. Most straight racing games online are frustrating enough, but something this fast, technical and unforgiving(?) is going to be one brutal trainwreck in pub servers. I remember in Grid, even racing the two destruction derby courses, people figured out a way to ruin it 10 out of 10 races.

Drastic

jlevel13 said:
This X 10. I honestly feel this game will (unfortunately) be a nightmare online, I mean, I will definitely try it out, but see myself playing mostly offline in single player and time trials. Most straight racing games online are frustrating enough, but something this fast, technical and unforgiving(?) is going to be one brutal trainwreck in pub servers. I remember in Grid, even racing the two destruction derby courses, people figured out a way to ruin it 10 out of 10 races.

This is why you need custom public lobbies. You start with a friend or two, and as the room fills up, get rid of people with no mics. Idiots continually get weeded out as you play. Yes you deal with one guy for one race, but never again. As your room gets critical mass, and it will if you're serious about sim racing and having fun while at it, people learn to find your room for that kind of racing or avoid trying to grief there since they know they'll be kicked.

During Forza 2 glory days, we would host a room for hours on end with sim settings, comms during overtaking, long laps and just great racing overall. Met a lot of new people and made some of my best online friends in that game.

I haven't seen all of the custom lobby details yet, but if they get it right, this game could fill a great niche that has been left wanting.

AcridMeat

Banned
I would like to think that because this is an F1 game it wouldn't draw as many of the griefers that were online in GRiD.

As for going online straight away, I'll probably play a quick race then go into their career mode to see how that is. Once I have some people on my friends list with the game I'll try going online.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Drastic said:
This is why you need custom public lobbies. You start with a friend or two, and as the room fills up, get rid of people with no mics

Meh.
Why would the mic be a requirement?
It's not a fucking squad/co-op shooter you know.
Most of the best non-friend players I met online are the mic-less/muted ones, oh god how I fucking hate chatty people in my games...

elfinke

I was adamant I was going to grab this on PS3 (big telly, big speakers, big microphone, big custom made steering wheel mount), but between all you guys and one or two other forums I frequent all harping on about grabbing it for PC, I was ready to jump ship to PC...

... but then the fantabulous AUS$ price hike on Steam occurred this week, and now I'm really undecided :S

PS3 now, Steam sale later perhaps? Dammit! :D

Frawdder

For me, I'll probably only go online with people I know, so that's anyone in AusGAF and maybe some other GAFfers depending on how the netcode is. But that's only after I get some laps in on all the tracks, getting braking points down, tuning the car for the track and so on.

elfinke said:
I was adamant I was going to grab this on PS3 (big telly, big speakers, big microphone, big custom made steering wheel mount), but between all you guys and one or two other forums I frequent all harping on about grabbing it for PC, I was ready to jump ship to PC...

... but then the fantabulous AUS$ price hike on Steam occurred this week, and now I'm really undecided :S

PS3 now, Steam sale later perhaps? Dammit! :D
Or get it gifted to you by an American.

Drastic

Dash Kappei said:
Meh.
Why would the mic be a requirement?
It's not a fucking squad/co-op shooter you know.
Most of the best non-friend players I met online are the mic-less/muted ones, oh god how I fucking hate chatty people in my games...
To communicate about being inside/outside on overtake, to keep unnecessary damage to a minimum. Most sim racers use hood or cockpit view so this is a must on a game without side mirrors like Forza 2.

There is very little talk outside of the actual race, if at all. People who can't be bothered to plug in a mic generally are looking for a standard, no-holds-barred lobby.

Mush said:
:lol I was re-watching that race last night!

I hope you can view replays for mutliplayer, because when something like that happens in a GAF tournament no one will take the blame (and start last on the grid in the next race)

Mush

Bungieware said:
I hope you can view replays for mutliplayer, because when something like that happens in a GAF tournament no one will take the blame (and start last on the grid in the next race)
Remember, it was David's fault. Always.

Deeku

Day 1 for me. I don't really have the setup for a solid wheel experience so I'm hoping this will be just as fun and awesome with a controller.

Chris R

Drastic said:
To communicate about being inside/outside on overtake, to keep unnecessary damage to a minimum. Most sim racers use hood or cockpit view so this is a must on a game without side mirrors like Forza 2.

There is very little talk outside of the actual race, if at all. People who can't be bothered to plug in a mic generally are looking for a standard, no-holds-barred lobby.
Not everyone has a mic, and even if they do some prefer not to use one. Though if you are going to kick people for not using mics make sure to do it quick so they don't go and think everything is fine only to be kicked 3/4 the way through a race. Also try to tag your lobby "MIC ONLY" or something similar so I can avoid it :D

AcridMeat

Banned
commanderdeek said:
Day 1 for me. I don't really have the setup for a solid wheel experience so I'm hoping this will be just as fun and awesome with a controller.

360 pad on PC as well. We'll be fine. :D

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Bungieware said:
David Coulthard, legendary
crash god.

I hope I don't cause that online at the start of a wet race at Spa but I can't make any promises...

Mush said:
Remember, it was David's fault. Always.
Even years after he retires, it is still ALWAYS his fault.

Drastic

nasanu said:
That annoys the crap out of me. I can drive, you don't need to tell me where you are, I know.
Most sim people don't play in 3rd person, for you know, the simulation? It's common courtesy online, if you don't like it or care to offer it, feel free to have fun in mic-less games.

rhfb said:
Not everyone has a mic, and even if they do some prefer not to use one. Though if you are going to kick people for not using mics make sure to do it quick so they don't go and think everything is fine only to be kicked 3/4 the way through a race. Also try to tag your lobby "MIC ONLY" or something similar so I can avoid it :D

I don't think anyone would kick someone after race start for not having a mic. Not anyone with half a brain anyway. I dunno if you can tag your lobbies in this game or not (console), but mine would be tagged sim settings or something like that.

Dilly

Banned
I've never used a mic online in all the sim games I played. Only heard a few people with mics in racing sims.

Why do you use it? I just look around and in my mirrors to check where my competitors are.

nli10

Having largely ignored this I'm actually really tempted.

Will it be casual enough for me though - been watching the F1 since birth, but I'm just not a fan of sim racing.

Will wait for reviews before deciding accessibility of the game.

Do we know if there are unlockable drivers? Will Yamamoto be available from half way through the season?
Will you patch in the actual season's results/weather for the last few races via a non-DLC game update or will it just estimate based on the previous form?

Dilly said:
I've never used a mic online in all the sim games I played. Only heard a few people with mics in racing sims.

Why do you use it? I just look around and in my mirrors to check where my competitors are.

How do you talk to your mechanics then though?

There was a bit of footage of Codemasters F1 2010 during the build up to today's F1 race at Monza on BBC 1. No mention of the game but you could tell.

A good race today. A good win for Alonso and Button did well. Dream race for Alonso really. One of his best.

DieH@rd

Banned
Slackbladder said:
There was a bit of footage of Codemasters F1 2010 during the build up to today's F1 race at Monza on BBC 1. No mention of the game but you could tell.

A good race today. A good win for Alonso and Button did well. Dream race for Alonso really. One of his best.

FU for spoiling the race.

Top Bottom