• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

AcridMeat

Banned
I just did a GP with the AI to practice with the set up I devised for myself more. I managed a 1:35 flat in the Renault in qualifying, not sure how good that is but I know I can be faster in the hairpin and final chicane. I finally figured out the chicane so I can get through it in 2nd no problem. Still need to work out the hairpin, I'll study Lucius' video and a real on board lap to see if I can crack it.

Also, more random fun during qualifying. Not sure how the hell this happened, but all of these cars were stationary as I passed.

4Bbw4l.jpg

nImOHl.jpg

CEPsCl.jpg

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Leunam said:
Epic Post
Awesome as always.

Personal goal for this weekend: Attain 6th in the GAF Championship. With Acrid hitting form, I don't think I can challenge him but hopefully I can enjoy some close racing with Folorium (If his issues are sorted) and TylerD on Saturday.

My game is officially broken. Still got major lag.

So I'm afraid I have to drop out of the GAF league. :( A real shame because for those two weeks it was the highlight of my weekend. :lol I took Orgun out again on the first corner due to lag though and on Saturday it could easily be Lucius or Animal I come in to contact with, which isn't fair. Not to mention it isn't fun to drive like that, anyway.

So yeah, Orgun or someone can take my lovely Force India car, and I'll move on to Fallout New Vegas, which is by all accounts equally as buggy as this fucking game :lol

Yeah definitely :) I'll still try and find a fix so I can play with you guys! The codemasters forum is crap though and no help at all, so I've contacted their official support. Threatening them by demanding a refund if they don't provide sufficient support might scare them a bit. :lol

At least when this patch hits I can start my career properly!

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
My game is officially broken. Still got major lag.

I took Orgun out again on the first corner due to lag though and on Saturday it could easily be Lucius or Animal I come in to contact with, which isn't fair.

You know what is not fair? You suffering these lag issues :(

Have you tried hosting FV? Do you have the same problems then?

AcridMeat

Banned
The Marlboro McLaren skin at racedepartment was released. I have it, looks great. Driving it is like having the Toyota team back because of the similar color scheme.

1-D_FTW

Lucius86 said:
You know what is not fair? You suffering these lag issues :(

Have you tried hosting FV? Do you have the same problems then?

I'm pretty sure that's the first time it happened. I remember he was hosting and us hitting the wall of champions turn and me driving right through his slow-mo ghost.

I remember because I was going to host, but I kept crashing when I hit create game and had to exit out and reset DX9=true.

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, when I host it doesn't help at all. Oddly enough, nobody else lags either when I host, so I'm certain it's not a connection issue.

Well surely the best thing to do is you try hosting for the forthcoming races?? We could trial it before 5pm UK time Saturday to make sure a number of us don't get connection issues. It's worth a shot.

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, when I host it doesn't help at all. Oddly enough, nobody else lags either when I host, so I'm certain it's not a connection issue.
Then it may be a graphics driver issue. What card are you using at the moment? Have you tried a complete clearance of the drivers, including driver sweeper? If it is 100% not a connection issue, let's eliminate all other potential issues.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Lucius86

Banned
Stop It said:
Then it may be a graphics driver issue. What card are you using at the moment? Have you tried a complete clearance of the drivers, including driver sweeper? If it is 100% not a connection issue, let's eliminate all other potential issues.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

In this modern day with mature graphics drivers this is not needed - but this is a very odd scenario so it is worth doing this, followed by installing the latest Forceware/Catalyst drivers just to exclude it. I would recommend checking every driver whilst we are at it - sound, motherboard, GFX, wireless keyboards - maybe even the latest BIOS if you feel confident enough.

1-D_FTW

I've not played single-player, but how badly do you slow down when you blow a tire? It almost sounds like that's what's happening. The game has spurts where it's confused and temporarily assigns a tire blow.

Lucius86 said:
In this modern day with mature graphics drivers this is not needed - but this is a very odd scenario so it is worth doing this, followed by installing the latest Forceware/Catalyst drivers just to exclude it. I would recommend checking every driver whilst we are at it - sound, motherboard, GFX, wireless keyboards - maybe even the latest BIOS if you feel confident enough.

And if it hasn't been done already, turn the audio from Rapture to software. I thought it fixed my crashing while DX9=false (turns out it didn't, eventually was even worse), but I definitely don't notice any difference in the sound running without. And I'm not sure it's not a buggy solution anyways.

Right, I've uninstalled/reinstalled drivers, and I already have switched audio over. :)

I'm going to set up a lobby and now and see if I can get some people to join. If not, I'm going back to Fallout. :lol

Edit: Did a three lap race with four other guys, no lag. But who knows if that will last. I'll play with you guys tonight I guess.

Stop It

Lucius86 said:
There was (and possibly is) a flaw in the ATI driver installer that meant if you were just "re-installing" a set of drivers that were there already, key files would not be replaced.

When I was using a HD4870, a BSOD caused driver corruption and crashing in many games, after 3 re-installs of the existing drivers the issue remained. Only a full uninstall (including a pass of driver sweeper) fixed the issue. Of course this was lats year and hopefully the issue has been sorted, but it cannot harm to do a full clean up to eliminate the possibility.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Right, I've uninstalled/reinstalled drivers, and I already have switched audio over. :)

I'm going to set up a lobby and now and see if I can get some people to join. If not, I'm going back to Fallout. :lol

Edit: Did a three lap race with four other guys, no lag. But who knows if that will last. I'll play with you guys tonight I guess.
Yey. Well I'll be online tonight, so if you're up for a race, hit me on Steam.

I'll no doubt be playing Fallout until someone pulls me away from it, so message me when you want to race! :lol I'm being well uncool and doing fuck all tonight.

deim0s

Just finished my first year of career from Lotus and won the WDC at 252 points and settled with Toro Rosso. Yay. (Was expecting some celebration anims but got nothing, straight to the paddocks!)

Upped the AI to Pro and started with the 2nd season - all I could say is WTH! With my first race in Bahrain the team objectives for me is to Q at 4th and finish at 3rd!

I know the team's like "we could do anything with you being a WDC champ/rabbits foot/the re-incarnation of Senna" shtick, but c'mon... I'm expecting something middle-tier, around 10th, seeing Lotus wanting to bag it in the twenties. Not podium finishes like the sister team.

Is this a bug in the game?

AcridMeat

Banned
1w1LQl.jpg

Hot butts, tomorrow will be intense.

edit: deim0s, I had trouble with that in my career as well. As soon as I got a downforce upgrade for my car (on Monaco) Williams wanted me to, instead of qualify 10th, finish 8th, qualify 6th and finish 4th. Not quite as big of a jump as you described but the car handled no freaking differently. :lol

1-D_FTW

AcridMeat said:
1w1LQl.jpg

edit: deim0s, I had trouble with that in my career as well. As soon as I got a downforce upgrade for my car (on Monaco) Williams wanted me to, instead of qualify 10th, finish 8th, qualify 6th and finish 4th. Not quite as big of a jump as you described but the car handled no freaking differently. :lol

I'm a gamer. I always do better in races than I do qualifying.

Stop It

AcridMeat said:
1w1LQl.jpg

Well, I'm not sure if I can manage that time this afternoon, especially as it was easily my best ever time in Qualifying online, but it certainly shows that we're in for one heck of a battle.

In fact, There will be 2 distintc battles going on going off this, the top 3 of Dilly, Animal and Lucius, and then the 2nd group of Salacious Crumbs, AcridMeat, Myself, 1d/FormedTrain, TylerD (If he wakes up) and if he can get sorted, Folorium.

I don't like the first corner, especially if someone risks Primes for quali! this will be a nightmare!

TylerD

Crap, my XBox live gold subscription expired and the windows live ID site is down... Hurry up and get that damn site up MS!

Stop It and Lucius just did tech support for me and my game is seemingly working :D 15+ laps without a hiccup. Stop It had the genius idea of checking my GPU temp, and for that I give him this:

This is my Stop It. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. Stop It is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, Stop It is useless. Without Stop It, I am useless. I must fire Stop It true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: Stop It and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

...And then later a blowjob.

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
Stop It and Lucius just did tech support for me and my game is seemingly working :D 15+ laps without a hiccup. Stop It had the genius idea of checking my GPU temp, and for that I give him this:

This is my Stop It. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. Stop It is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, Stop It is useless. Without Stop It, I am useless. I must fire Stop It true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: Stop It and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

...And then later a blowjob.
:D

Lucius86 said:
SUZUKAAAAA - 50 mins to race time.
:D

woeds

How does this GAF-league work? Does one need to sign up somewhere? Is there some sort of roster, and can people just join as a race is about to begin?

Leunam

Join us on Steam. First come first serve with priority given to the drivers who have participated before. Qualifying starts in like 15 mins.

woeds

woeds said:
How does this GAF-league work? Does one need to sign up somewhere? Is there some sort of roster, and can people just join as a race is about to begin?
Apparently, joining 10 minutes before the start isn't the best way :D

Stop It

woeds said:
Apparently, joining 10 minutes before the start isn't the best way :D
Yeah, we actually had most of the people turn up and had one spot for a reserve, sorry about that :(

Anyway, great race. Shame about Dilly crashing out (Thanks to a connection issue) and I binned it near the end, chucking away 2nd, but that's my first podium in the GAF Championship in the bag!

Onto Silverstone, a proper drivers track again and hopefully another cracking race in store. Well done to everyone, especially Lucius86 who is in imperious form :D

woeds

Stop It said:
Yeah, we actually had most of the people turn up and had one spot for a reserve, sorry about that :(

Anyway, great race. Shame about Dilly crashing out (Thanks to a connection issue) and I binned it near the end, chucking away 2nd, but that's my first podium in the GAF Championship in the bag!

Onto Silverstone, a proper drivers track again and hopefully another cracking race in store. Well done to everyone, especially Lucius86 who is in imperious form :D
So, do you guys race every saturday?

Stop It

woeds said:
So, do you guys race every saturday?
At the moment, yes, but I have just realised I am not here next Saturday, as I am at Santa Pod for a drag racing meeting.

This isn't good :( I love Silverstone!

Orgun

Stop It said:
At the moment, yes, but I have just realised I am not here next Saturday, as I am at Santa Pod for a drag racing meeting.

This isn't good :( I love Silverstone!
Hmm if a lot of people are away for Halloween etc maybe we should delay it till the following week?

Stop It

Orgun said:
Hmm if a lot of people are away for Halloween etc maybe we should delay it till the following week?
Personally I hope so, but it depends on others. Either way, I'll really miss Silverstone if I cannot play :(

Leunam

KKMaI.png

K5113.png

HoBsR.png

E9AQO.png
hhses.png
JSDCM.png

S1D6s.png
Cz576.png

qcFtt.png
n1fSe.png

E4XbF.png
ieK0i.png

gUXAc.png

0yhL1.png

GP08a.png

v5V25.png

FLUcm.png

XgyJj.png
3gjie.png

6P5f9.png
3gjie.png

yvIGY.png
3gjie.png

671pB.png

3478bbn.jpg

Leunam: Lucius, you're doing a fantastic job this season, with another win at a very demanding circuit. Thoughts?
Lucius86: Yeah, the team have done another fantastic job. This was the first track we have been to where I actually had the confidence in the car to push harder than before, and it showed in the lap times.
Leunam: That differs from last week, where you weren't sure if you were going to perform as well as you have. What changed for you?
Lucius86: The team have spent a lot of time developing in the car, and coming to Suzuka it was immediately apparent we had made progress, which allowed me to push harder. I still made a mistake or two today, but the extra confidence helped me pull out a decent lead from quite early on in the race.
Leunam: Suzuka has many distinct features. Degner, spoon, 130r. Was there any sector or corner that was giving you a hard time?
Lucius86: I think Spoon gave everyone a run for their money, but I was most scared of the hairpin actually. If you attack the exit of the corner, it can be all too easy to lose the rear of the car. After the first few laps in the race I was being a lot more cautious out of there once I had built an advantage
Leunam: The setup you provided really helped everyone out and provided a great base for people to work with. You mentioned you changed a couple of settings from the original plans. Was there anything you changed further to suit the car to your specific needs?
Lucius86: In all honesty, the car setup was as tailored to my driving style. It wears out the tires quite hard though, so perhaps some race time could be made up by adjusting a setting here or there - but the car felt great this weekend, and I think the team got the setup spot on.

15yyoh5.gif

Leunam: Congratulations on your podium finish, how do you feel?
Animal: Frustrated. I was expecting to battle it out with Lucius after being side by side through the first corner but I spun out on the exit. Not sure If someone hit me from behind or not. I spent the rest making mistakes left and right and struggling with lagging cars. They would just appear and disappear in front of me and really throw me off. Though finishing 2nd at least the damage was limited.
Leunam: Definitely, it's still a great result. We had a little rain at the end of qualifying, did that worry you at all? Did you think a rainy race might have turned out differently?
Animal: Well the forecast indicated 58% chance of rain during quali and it started off dry. I decided to immediately go out and put in a time just to have one in the bank. It did the job.
Leunam: You're clearly at the top of your game, but I'm sure you're itching for a race win. What kind of track do you suppose would suit your strengths?
Animal: Ya its been very frustrating to not be able to challenge Lucius but we can only carry on. All the tracks we have been to so far are tracks we are very strong on. We are a very strong team and feel we have the performance to win on every track this year.
Leunam: Do you think there may have been room in your setup for improvement?
Animal: No. Our setup was perfect.

human_mage.jpg

Leunam: Congratulations on your first podium of the season. how do you feel about your accomplishment, especially on such a difficult track?
Stop It: I'm still in shock if I'm honest. All this weekend I had been gradually edging towards the top 3 in the practice sessions, but I still didn't expect to compete come the race itself. Needless to say I am delighted with a podium.
Leunam: as you very well know, Suzuka has very very distinct sectors? Which one gave you the most trouble and which one was the easiest?
Stop It: Well, the entire lap has its perils, once you get a corner wrong, you're in trouble for a long while after that. That said, the 2nd sector was always a problem for me, from the Hairpin down to Spoon, that section is enough to make or break your race and near the end I nearly threw it away by spinning at Spoon, but I just about held on and finished the race. As for my best sector? Sector 1 is flowing, and once you're into a rhythm, you're going to be very fast
Leunam: How did the car feel? We all had a good idea of what kind of setup to use. is there anything you changed that made the car suit you better compared to what Lucius suggested?
Stop It: Well, I prefer a more stable car than the setups that Lucius usually provides. To that end I increased the Front and rear wing angles by one notch to allow for more stability in the S bend and Spoon. It costed me some speed and my approach to 130R probably was slower than most, but through the lap the car felt more balanced and it enabled me to push harder, especially in Qualifying. I wish everyone luck for the next race,m and thank the Virgin Racing team for providing me with a great car at Suzuka.

Leunam: Silverstone is next, with a new sector even. Any thoughts on how that race may play out?
Lucius86: As the races go on, it's clear that more and more drivers are getting faster and faster. I expect the competition to be tougher and tighter than ever - people need to start taking risks now to make headway into the championship. The new sector is tricky, so that will need some time in the simulator to nail down. But as always, I am very much looking forward to it.
Animal: Silverstone is a track i'm less familiar with but that shouldn't matter. I'm sure with a little extra effort we will again be top performers.
Stop It: It's anybodies race. I think there are a few veterans here who know the old circuit like the back of their hand but the new Arena section is going to play a huge part in the outcome of the race. If I can continue this form and compete at the highest level I will be delighted, but there's a long way to go yet. All I do know is this: This championship is really coming alive; the standards are very high and consistency and a strong will is going to be key to success going forward.

I'd personally find it good if next Saturday was delayed because it's my birthday on Thursday, I'm out Friday night and then Saturday will be... rough, I imagine. There's also a good chance I will be doing something for Halloween, but I don't know about that.

I will be able to make it next Saturday, but I'm not against delaying it if that's better for people.

Edit: I posted that the same time as Leunam! Great post as always :)

Edit 2: Can I have a GB flag on my bit, by the way? :D

Top Bottom