• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2016 |OT| Daniil Kvyat Simulator

NotSaladin

Neo Member
This will be my first current gen F1 game and I'm really pleased to see that Codemasters have got their act together.

Looking forward to playing this once it arrives. I'll be starting off with a pad but I'm oh so tempted to buy myself a wheel for the PS4 since my Logitech PS3 wheel isn't compatible.

I don't want to spend a huge amount, under €150. I want something that is good value for money and I'm leaning towards Thrustmasters.

Malcolm9

Loving it so far, especially the mini objectives during free practice. You learn the track and get points to spend on upgrades, brilliant.

Rivalry system is nice too, got beat in quali but finished ahead in the opening race of my team mate.

I can't get radio audio (PS4) to work correctly though. Playing with a headset there's no sound at all, have to rely on subtitles. With TV sound it's way too low to be audible.

I set it so the radio comes through my TV speakers, as I could hardly hear it via the DS4.

Putty

Finished 2nd behind a one stopping Verstappen....Had 2 3 second penalties for corner cutting but was well ahead of Rosberg for them to be of any significance...

Putty

I'm curious how the A.I can do a one stop race really...50% race distance....I imagine it would be impossible for me to achieve that...

Dommel

I set it so the radio comes through my TV speakers, as I could hardly hear it via the DS4.

That option does nothing for me, just shows ds4 as output and no way to change it.

Maybe I should try starting the game with DS4 instead of my wheel only to see if i can change it.

Jibbed

This will be my first current gen F1 game and I'm really pleased to see that Codemasters have got their act together.

Looking forward to playing this once it arrives. I'll be starting off with a pad but I'm oh so tempted to buy myself a wheel for the PS4 since my Logitech PS3 wheel isn't compatible.

I don't want to spend a huge amount, under €150. I want something that is good value for money and I'm leaning towards Thrustmasters.

The cheaper wheels are pretty good for the money, even the lower tier Thrustmasters.

Just bear in mind that the pedals will be utter shit. Mine are on my DFGT.

Jibbed

Hoping some decent setups will start to appear on the workshop soon.

Trying to do Pro Career and I'm making Haryanto look like a driving god.

Par Score

I'm curious how the A.I can do a one stop race really...50% race distance....I imagine it would be impossible for me to achieve that...

It's incredible how easy / hard you can be on your tires if you really try either way.

The AI seems heavily balanced towards conserving it's tires, which is pretty true to life but does tend to make them sitting sucks if you're just out there to thrash it at the start.

Zaru

It's incredible how easy / hard you can be on your tires if you really try either way.

The tyre management test really works in telling you what kind of lines/maneuvers conserve or kill tyres on a track. Combined with the immediate live delta (and some flashback abuse if you're so inclined), the game now actually lets you LEARN a track and enables actual racecraft.

Staab

I won the race in Bahrain with a Haas, on Hard difficulty, about 5second advantage over second place Rosberg, felt good (no flashback too !) !
So then I switched to Expert for China.. damn can't even get within P17 in quali.
The difference in pole time between the two difficulties is almost 2 seconds :lol

Jibbed

Right, I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong here because I'm pushing like crazy, car is on the limit and I can't get more than a lap or two done (under the delta) of this bloody tyre life practice objective.

Pro Career in the Manor, all assists off, the car absolutely will not go faster around Melbourne and I've fiddled with just about every setup change there is to be made.

Edit: It's also worth noting I'm 1.5s off where I need to be in quali.

Help?

Fox Mulder

Ran out of gas on second to last turn at Australia in a 50℅ race career. :(

I actually like this, like when my engineer comes over the radio to give me an update or suggest a strategy change in the middle of a tricky section, makes me appreciate the IRL drivers complaining about their guys talking to them in the corners a lot more :D

Like, seriously, you have my GPS, just save it until I'm on a straight.

I haven't played much f1 since 2013, my brain needs to catch back up. I used to be good with manual gears and doing shit like changing brake bias on certain turns.

I'm fumbling around just to change basic stuff right now. It just takes time to get back in the groove.

Azzawon

Just my luck, steering wheel has just died on me :( going to have to wait a few weeks for some form of replacement or fix.

I wouldn't mind the inconvenience if I hadn't gotten such a good racing game a mere two days ago.

Pimpbaa

I'm not seeing a whole lot of marbles (in 50% races at least) in corners. Last game I played in the series, they would stick to your tires (you could see them on there) and the engineer would warn you on the radio to try and wear them down.

Hasney

These fuel stories are the opposite of what happens to me. I usually have over a lap spare and have some time to switch it to rich. Helped me take Palmer last race.

Par Score

These fuel stories are the opposite of what happens to me. I usually have over a lap spare and have some time to switch it to rich. Helped me take Palmer last race.

Are you using any Traction Control assists?

Traction Control basically gives you free fuel and much lower rear tire wear because you're not spinning them up out of every slow corner.

With TC on I can cream Expert and run Rich almost the whole race, with it off I struggle to keep up with Hard and have to spend a lot of time Lean.

Hasney

Are you using any Traction Control assists?

Traction Control basically gives you free fuel and much lower rear tire wear because you're not spinning them up out of every slow corner.

With TC on I can cream Expert and run Rich almost the whole race, with it off I struggle to keep up with Hard and have to spend a lot of time Lean.

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, I'm on medium for now while I work myself up to having it off. I'm aiming to have that and anti-lock brakes off by the summer break of the season. Might accelerate that since I'm not fucking up my tyres like you said and I'll need to concentrate on that wear., (Once I've made Ryo the #2 driver mwahaha).

Unrelated, my agent had a bad hair day

8E6A721F8FF2AA2724AB45CAB12C524E4A3B76D2

Nyx

What's the difference between lean and rich fuel and how should I use them?

So far I haven't even touched the D-pad during a race.

Hasney

So far I haven't even touched the D-pad during a race.

Circle/B depending on the controller and it's the first option. Lean would be slower but conserve fuel, then standard and rich is faster, but burns more fuel.

Started as a Manor on Legend Difficulty. Finished in decent points finishes in almost every race so far (up to Monaco now) but Barcelona felt really slippery and I could only finish 9th. I think I need to tweek some settings as I'm playing on pad and it feels like it takes too long to change directions compared to the last game and I can achieve full throttle by pushing down R2 to about 75% which is throwing me off.

Enjoying the game so far though, except for the tyre management sessions in practice. I'm either at the top end of purple at the end of a lap or on the cusp between red and green. I feel like I don't have a full understanding of it yet.

In my career the Manor is now above the Sauber in terms of R&D and performance. Is it possible to eventually move the Manor up above Mercedes if you put in enough seasons? If you can I'll stick with them throughout the entire career, if not I'll probably end up jumping to McLaren and then the one of the top three if I can.

Zaru

Use Rich Mix whenever you need the fastest laptime possible. For example, there's absolutely no reason to not use Rich in Qualifying, or when you want to catch up to someone and overtake during the race.
Use Lean Mix if you need to conserve fuel to make it to the end (like after using too much Rich Mix), or if you want to build a buffer during a phase where you don't need maximum power, and then later go all out with Rich Mix again.

A special scenario is when safety cars and/or rain make you use less fuel than expected. Rich Mix it is!

In one of the pages of the Info display, there's a very useful remaining laps value, e.g. "+1.5 laps" which means you can use more fuel.

sam777

Is it just me that struggles with the tyre wear practice challenge? I find it almost impossible I always finish the lap in the red zone.

Ryne

Is it just me that struggles with the tyre wear practice challenge? I find it almost impossible I always finish the lap in the red zone.

Not just you, but I'm getting better at it. Gotta do some lifting and coasting into braking zones, no braking into turns, soft acceleration, etc.

Zaru

That really depends on a lot of things.
If you're slightly off the pace for the target times in your difficulty setting, then you'll obviouslyy struggle with going slightly slower for tyre saving.
If you drive in a backmarker team, you'll struggle more than with one that has better driveability.
If you drive without certain assists, you might be hurting your tires in ways you don't even notice (happened to me on the first race when I didn't realize that I was sort of straining my wheels at every turn without traction control - don't accelerate too much!)

And are you on wheel or pad? Force Feedback should tell you whenever you steer too much. In many turns, there's a point where additional steering doesn't change the turn speed at all, BUT heavily affects the tyre wear. I mean, I might be telling you things you think are obvious but it doesn't hurt to check.

sam777

Not just you, but I'm getting better at it. Gotta do some lifting and coasting into braking zones, no braking into turns, soft acceleration, etc.

That really depends on a lot of things.
If you're slightly off the pace for the target times in your difficulty setting, then you'll obviouslyy struggle with going slightly slower for tyre saving.
If you drive in a backmarker team, you'll struggle more than with one that has better driveability.
If you drive without certain assists, you might be hurting your tires in ways you don't even notice (happened to me on the first race when I didn't realize that I was sort of straining my wheels at every turn without traction control - don't accelerate too much!)

And are you on wheel or pad? Force Feedback should tell you whenever you steer too much. In many turns, there's a point where additional steering doesn't change the turn speed at all, BUT heavily affects the tyre wear. I mean, I might be telling you things you think are obvious but it doesn't hurt to check.

Thanks. Yeah on a pad, so I probably struggle more with it. I will just coast a lot more then.

Ryne

Thanks. Yeah on a pad, so I probably struggle more with it. I will just coast a lot more then.

It's definitely harder with a pad. I'm using one too (the wheel is too annoying to set up everytime), but it's really all about being gentile. I ended up doing all purples in the past few tyre tests.

Lach

I won the race in Bahrain with a Haas, on Hard difficulty, about 5second advantage over second place Rosberg, felt good (no flashback too !) !
So then I switched to Expert for China.. damn can't even get within P17 in quali.
The difference in pole time between the two difficulties is almost 2 seconds :lol

Decided to start with Hard as well (with Renault). Went 10th in Australia and 2nd in Bahrain (Hamilton took me on the last lap with new SS tires, after safety car fucked up my strategy! I love it! ). I think I'll still stay on Hard for the rest of the first season, to get familiar with the tracks again.

[edit] Nice, the steam group already has 10 members! I'll be on holiday next week (including next two weekends), but after that I hope for some multiplayer racing (league or otherwise).
[edit2] I know it's impossible to do well, but Crofty always calling me "The Renault" always feels so condesending..

Zaru

Seems a lot of people are preferring to start their career with Renault. Probably because it has a surprisingly sexy livery and wouldn't mind moving it to the top

Jibbed

Seems a lot of people are preferring to start their career with Renault. Probably because it has a surprisingly sexy livery and wouldn't mind moving it to the top

I might do this too. Trying to race with Manor on Pro Career is making me want to die.

Nyx

Use Rich Mix whenever you need the fastest laptime possible. For example, there's absolutely no reason to not use Rich in Qualifying, or when you want to catch up to someone and overtake during the race.
Use Lean Mix if you need to conserve fuel to make it to the end (like after using too much Rich Mix), or if you want to build a buffer during a phase where you don't need maximum power, and then later go all out with Rich Mix again.

A special scenario is when safety cars and/or rain make you use less fuel than expected. Rich Mix it is!

In one of the pages of the Info display, there's a very useful remaining laps value, e.g. "+1.5 laps" which means you can use more fuel.

Thank you, definitely using this to my advantage now!

Fox Mulder

I assume the game doesn't cook tires when you follow too closely like real life. Had an AI on my ass the entire race. Was fun battling, but I was wondering if he'd destroy his tires thr whole time.

I was gonna go with them, but went Haas.

Ryne

Renault and Haas are the best starter teams.

Manor if you're a masochist but their in game livery is so nice.

Jibbed

Tried Renault, still 1.5s off K-Mag in quali and can't manage faster than a 1:28.2.

This Pro Career business is brutal. Think I need to watch some videos of inhuman people to see where I'm going wrong.

Anyone managing on Ultimate / Pro Career?

Putty

As a Lewis fanboy I naturally did what I must...I've topped the charts in practice by a good 6 tenths over Nico, I might have a little test race with the A.I on Elite is it after hard?

Azzawon

God damn, Catalunya is some serious shit. Just reached it with all Stage 1 upgrades on my Renault and I really seem to be struggling compared to previous circuits. Regretting not choosing a set of ultrasofts for quali now.

Zaru

The career races are already damn exciting and I haven't even had any rain or safety cars yet.

Started from third in China. Great start, jumped Mercedes and held off Rosberg on softer tyres for a few laps despite DRS. He pitted early, leaving room for a changing mix of Hamilton, Kimi and Verstappen, breathing down my neck seemingly in turns.
At one point, I was being DRS-overtaken on the long straight by Hamilton on the left and Verstappen on the right AT THE SAME TIME. Only the most daring late braking maneuver managed to salvage that situation.
Rosberg and Vettel had somehow fallen back due to incidents, and it was time for the first pitstop. My tyres still felt good - but what strategy would the others be using? Might I get undercut? I overplayed my hand and pitted too late, Verstappen had closed up and was meters behind me when I had my first pit stop. Being (albeit already heavily upgraded) Renault, my team managed a terrible pitstop which made Verstappen jump me because they couldn't safely release me before him. Then out of nowhere comes a 2012-level 1-stopping Grosjean and makes Max break so hard into the first turn that I managed to overtake him on the inside.
Managed a tiny gap to Verstappen for another third of the race. Now it was time for the final pitstop to Mediums. Everyone else behind me had already pitted to the same. After the shuffle behind me, Kimi was on my trail. Lap after lap he would inch closer. Any tiny mistake would bring him closer to my DRS window. And lo and behold, in the final lap, on the final straight, he got DRS. Another daring late braking maneuver later, I barely came out ahead and crossed the finish line with Kimi just meters behind me.

tl;dr
Race stories like these are what make this game absolutely enjoyable for an F1 fan.

Aside from an impossible simulated AI lap time, I haven't even encountered any bugs yet.

Shaneus

Renault and Haas are the best starter teams.

Manor if you're a masochist but their in game livery is so nice.
I've started as McLaren. No idea if there's any difference picking between any of the teams in a single tier, just across different tiers?

I just wanted to be teammates with Nando :)

Also, what race lengths are people picking? I think I'm starting with Short Quali (not the longest one, but not the shortest) and half race distance.

Final question: what assists do the cars have IRL? Do they have ABS or TC? Obviously they don't have driving line ;P

Unrelated, my agent had a bad hair day
Oh sweet, there's an async multiplayer mode? Nice.

Top Bottom