• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2016 |OT| Daniil Kvyat Simulator

DavidDesu

Goddamit, I can't make it through my first race without an AI taking me out. The minute you make a mistake and slow down a little they just rush past (and into) me. I'm staying on the racing line, they're just careering into me! Argh. Third time now. Hmm.

Also I'm not hearing any of my radio comms. The audio dips but not hearing my engineer at all. Got the latest patch and checked the audio levels, and reinstalled the game (PS4) and still nothing.

Yes, yes and yes. I also love Bahrain, it may not always produce the best races but it is a very fun lap to drive.

I agree but Bahrain's turn 10 is legit one of the worst in the entire F1 calendar.

i love the game but have a huge issue with the AI difference between Expert and Legend. I'm driving a McLaren and i'm easily among the top 3 in pace on Expert, change to Legend and I'm a backmarker.
I don't feel like i can make up the 1-2 seconds i would need to make things perfect..

They need an AI slider BAD.. the career only works if you are at exactly the 5-6 skill levels they chose. Otherwise the experience of having a realistic career just doesn't work. The difference between the upper skill levels is just too high.

Biggest issue for me. I've finally managed to tame the controls (using a pad on PS4), but the jump from Expert and Legend is killing the experience for me.

When playing on Expert with Manor, I could easily make Q2 or even Q3, and could easily finish top 10 on merit.

On Legend, qualifying pace is right where I want it (i.e., I don't make it out of Q1) but in the race, I am basically a Trulli train especially given how easy it is to bully the AI around. However, I can still manage a point scoring position, but that's with me defending for pretty much the entire race (Verstappen style) and that doesn't feel right to me at all.

Jesus the menus in race are super challenging to navigate.

Just done my first weekend, racing with manor, finished 16th on hard (50% race distance) Got a puncture in the last lap and lost a place.

Liking it. Controller doesn't feel that bad, i got used to it fairly quickly, but it will probably take me a while to master it. The first thing that struck is me, as a console gamer, this felt like the first F1 game to feel like a driving game as well as a racing one. It certainly has more depth to other console f1 games I have played so that is encouraging.

Overall a pretty scrappy effort from me, Lap times were quite inconsistent, preformed much better behind other cars than on my own, but once I get used to it I'll be ok, and probably knock it up a difficulty too.

Race went through some unique phases to, last 5 laps I spent racing to fuel limit, switching between standard and lean, made it though!

Ryökäle

Neo Member
Couple of years ago I told myself to never trust Codemasters again, but after Dirt Rally and now the impressions of F1 2016, I'm suddenly tempted to by F1 game again. Anyone using DFGT on pc, how is the handling in this one?

I'm still having nightmares of 2012's understeer and that amazing netcode.

If I end up buying the game, I'm definitely interested in a pc league!

sTiTcH AU

I find Expert difficulty to be great for me. I still have won every race but not always gotten pole position. I am tempted to bump it up to legend difficulty as that would then be more real in terms of where the car should be in the race (Red Bull).

I would say anything above expert difficulty a wheel would be essential.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Loving the game so far, but why do the engines sound like fart noises?

Hopefully, the vintage stuff comes back next year.

Jibbed

Installing, let's do this.

Going all out. Max difficulty, all assists off etc. Will post how I find things with my DFGT later on.

Sickbean

Can anyone recommend a good YouTube series for learning braking points for each track etc, especially with telemetry so I know what gear to be in??

Jibbed

Can anyone recommend a good YouTube series for learning braking points for each track etc, especially with telemetry so I know what gear to be in??

Have you tried just doing Time Trial / Practice with the racing line on?

In terms of gears, I've learnt everything I know from watching it on TV haha. Watch a few onboards from this season on F1.com. Click on a circuit here and select 'Video - Onboard Lap' on the right menu.

Best thing to do braking point-wise is just laps, laps, laps. Pick a reference point on the circuit (something like a marker board or line on the tarmac) and brake a few metres later each lap. You'll soon find the point where the car washes out and you've gone too far.

I'm one of those strange people that does everything 'by feel' and doesn't use references, so I'm not much help with specifics per circuit sorry!

Randdalf

Pushed my tyres too hard at Shanghai, got a puncture on the final lap
sad.gif

I then had to do a drive of shame to the finish line whilst everyone else overtook me.

Couple of quick tips about the in-race menu I found after doing 2 career week-end.

-If you want to close the menu quickly without having to tab through every pages you can simply hold down the menu button.
-At any time (no matter if the menu is open or on which page it is open) you can press left or right on the D-Pad to change the fuel mix
-If you press left/right to change the fuel mix while the menu is already open (not on the first page) it will automatically go to page 1 to show you which fuel mix you just selected and then go back to your previous page after a couple of second. For example I spend most of my races with the last page open (the race strategy) so when I want to change from standard to rich I press Right on the d-pad, the menu change to the first page to show me the change and then automatically goes back to the strategy page.
The fuel thing is super handy for getting the most out of the race. Ty

Ryne

You can enable gear shift beeping in the game if you want; it will notify you when to shift gears in game.

andshrew

You can enable gear shift beeping in the game if you want; it will notify you when to shift gears in game.

I love the little things like this as it feels like there is a real attention to detail that previous games were missing.

The audio seems to be messed up on PS4 for me. When racing with a wheel the engineer is coming through the speakers but it's almost impossible to hear them. When racing with the controller it seems that the only option is for the engineer to either come from the controllers speaker or through a headset. Annoying that you don't seem to be able to force it out of the main speakers.

Anyone getting input lag with a wheel?

Not a good start.
What wheel are you using? I haven't noticed any input lag here with my G25.

Try tweaking the steering saturation setting in game.

Also what degree of rotation are you using for your wheel?

Ryne

First mod I found was the Williams updated to the Martini livery. Love it.

Edit: don't let your tires go above 70% degradation, almost always a puncture.

Jibbed

What wheel are you using? I haven't noticed any input lag here with my G25.

Try tweaking the steering saturation setting in game.

Also what degree of rotation are you using for your wheel?

DFGT. Just hopped on pCARS for 2 seconds to check it wasn't something else.

I've got the steering wheel set to the 900 default, and 65% saturation in-game. The issue I'm having is there's a noticeable (1-2 tenths of second) lag between me turning my wheel and the same happening in game.

Other than that, this feels like a pretty significant step up from 2015 in the handling department.

LilJoka

Forgot to add Kerb are really brutal now, if you get 2 or 3 wheel up on em and your still foot down then expect the back end to come out on you....I find riding them is fine but you gotta lift off until all wheels back on the tarmac...

lastly can't remember if it was in F12015 but when you get a lap in your engineer tells you what your time was ...so you don't have to keep looking at the timer ...

Every single time this is happening to me on the kerbs. I would expect at 100mph plus there is enough downforce to be able to floor like they were in hockenheim and Austria irl.
Otherwise the driving is ok.

How does the radio work with a microphone?

You open the menu and say the line? It's too difficult to navigate with the d-pad when you're driviing

Staab

How does the radio work with a microphone?

You open the menu and say the line? It's too difficult to navigate with the d-pad when you're driviing

Yeah that's exactly how it works, there's a "voice command" option you need to press and then you say whatever relevant line. Works pretty well.

I feel like the menu is a bit hard to handle during driving as well... I like the amount of info though.

Anyone up for some MP ? (I'm on now if anyone wants)

Par Score

Jesus the menus in race are super challenging to navigate.
Yeah that's exactly how it works, there's a "voice command" option you need to press and then you say whatever relevant line. Works pretty well.

I feel like the menu is a bit hard to handle during driving as well... I like the amount of info though.

I actually like this, like when my engineer comes over the radio to give me an update or suggest a strategy change in the middle of a tricky section, makes me appreciate the IRL drivers complaining about their guys talking to them in the corners a lot more :D

Like, seriously, you have my GPS, just save it until I'm on a straight.

kiyomi

This is an example of the pad steering 'issue' that I have. It's most notable through high speed corners where you need quick change of direction.

Note the way the wheel hesitates around the centre point. This wasn't present in F1 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3_C-1JN8YA

That's with steering sensitivity set to 20, by the way.

I feel like there's been some degree of this in every F1 game I've played since 2010. (Didn't play much of 2015 tbf.) It's what makes things feel very unresponsive at times when a real F1 car is able to change direction incredibly quickly with a quick turn. It's like the ingame wheel has a deadzone or something?

Juicy Bob

I mean, it's perfectly driveable like that. It's just a bit frustrating when you do push too hard and start sliding, you try to correct but even though you react quickly, there feels like an input lag with the lack of sensitivity around the centre and so you have a tank-slapper instead.

Aiii

So not worth it
Digital Anthony Davidson and Crofty just lounging around casually having a conversation across from me in our motorhome is freaking me out for some reason.

DFGT. Just hopped on pCARS for 2 seconds to check it wasn't something else.

I've got the steering wheel set to the 900 default, and 65% saturation in-game. The issue I'm having is there's a noticeable (1-2 tenths of second) lag between me turning my wheel and the same happening in game.

Other than that, this feels like a pretty significant step up from 2015 in the handling department.
900 is super high for CM F1 games. People usually recommend around 360.

LilJoka

Ive been playing the last hour with the G27, its pretty good to be honest.
I set the throttle linearity to 20, that helps me keep in the sweet 75% throttle zone when exiting off the kerbs to prevent getting oversteer.

For G27 Settings I have in profiler set:
F1 2016 - specific game settings:
100 - 100 - 0
Centering spring enabled and set to 100 -> this setting doesn't seem to have any effect.
Special steering options checked
360* rotation
Use special game setting and allow game to adjust settings checked.

In game I have set the FFB to 80 - 30 - 50

Real F1 Cars use around 360* or less, so nobody should be using more than that. 900* would be just terribly slow steering response, and exaggerate any steering input lag.

I found reducing tyre pressures, more front negative camber and softer rear spring helped keep the back end in check.

Jibbed

Ive been playing the last hour with the G27, its pretty good to be honest.
I set the throttle linearity to 20, that helps me keep in the sweet 75% throttle zone when exiting off the kerbs to prevent getting oversteer.

For G27 Settings I have in profiler set:
F1 2016 - specific game settings:
100 - 100 - 0
Centering spring enabled and set to 100 -> this setting doesn't seem to have any effect.
Special steering options checked
360* rotation
Use special game setting and allow game to adjust settings checked.

In game I have set the FFB to 80 - 30 - 50

Real F1 Cars use around 360* or less, so nobody should be using more than that. 900* would be just terribly slow steering response, and exaggerate any steering input lag.

I found reducing tyre pressures, more front negative camber and softer rear spring helped keep the back end in check.

Will try a few of these tweaks with my DFGT. Really struggling to get the power down with my shit pedals, losing so much time in the final sector at Melbourne.

For the record, 900deg lock + 65% saturation = about 360 anyway. It feels no different to me.

Edit: Ok so this is a dumb observation, but I'm now finding buckets of time using the T-cam view instead of cockpit. Didn't occur to me really that I'd be losing so much due to visibility but there you go.

The car feels a lot more stable from higher up.

LilJoka

Will try a few of these tweaks with my DFGT. Really struggling to get the power down with my shit pedals, losing so much time in the final sector at Melbourne.

For the record, 900deg lock + 65% saturation = about 360 anyway. It feels no different to me.

Edit: Ok so this is a dumb observation, but I'm now finding buckets of time using the T-cam view instead of cockpit. Didn't occur to me really that I'd be losing so much due to visibility but there you go.

The car feels a lot more stable from higher up.

Indeed, I always find it easier using the T Cam in F1 cars. Cockpit view on other sim racers with cars. Not sure why, but easier to place the car on track with T cam.

I was still dogshit slow, I think I ran a 1.30.000 at Melbourne in the merc with the wheel.

Malcolm9

Loving the game so far, may have to step up from hard as I'm qualifying on pole in a McLaren.

The framerate and screen tearing in the paddock is hideous though (PS4 version).

Doikor

Biggest issue I currently have is with the controls and UI. The game knows that I have a Thrustmaster TX (which has the xbox one button colors/icons) and yet it fails to show those as prompts in game. Instead I have to press "Button 9" to answer something to a radio message. So much fun mashing trough all the buttons in the first race to figure that out. At that point I just alt+f4 and maybe I'll try again sometime next week once my anger at the UX has come down.

Hasney

It's deleted the default profile for my wheel. Fucking hell.

EDIT: reinstalled the game and the wheel works again.

Putty

There's a mega buzz going from the formation lap to the start of the race itself especially using manual starts! Brilliants stuff. Though the formation lap the cars should be much slower when going around...

Dommel

Loving it so far, especially the mini objectives during free practice. You learn the track and get points to spend on upgrades, brilliant.

Rivalry system is nice too, got beat in quali but finished ahead in the opening race of my team mate.

I can't get radio audio (PS4) to work correctly though. Playing with a headset there's no sound at all, have to rely on subtitles. With TV sound it's way too low to be audible.

Top Bottom