• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

fernoca

WickedLaharl said:
looks janky as all hell. in the twenty mins i've been watching 3 enemies have gotten stuck in the environment (accompanied by a constant audio thudding) and several enemies with their backs turned didn't engage the player until he was breathing on them.
I remember some talk in other place, about the guy on the stream already finishing the game yesterday, so he's being playing around doing random things and even trying to force glitches. But I could be wrong, maybe is another stream.

fernoca said:
I remember some talk in other place, about the guy on the stream already finishing the game yesterday, so he's being playing around doing random things and even trying to force glitches. But I could be wrong, maybe is another stream.
There is really no need to force glitches, they happen enough on their own. Game is still better than Fable 2 tho, so much more to do...

DA Is the option to see other people(gamerpics) floating around in the game?
Have those stone goblins(?) you shoot made a return?
Thanks!

Tubobutts

Are there different types of weapons like there were in the old games (i.e. axes, maces, katanas etc.)

From the the tiny bit of the stream I watched I saw that he chose between a hammer and a sword at the beginning. I also believe that all the pre-order legendary weapons are hammers or swords. Seems like it would be a weird thing to take out the weapon types but you never know.

I'm sure they will patch a lot of things. Even though the hype is not SUPER HIGH around this one, the game will sell well and they should (they better) patch up things and support it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tiamatsword22 said:
Are there different types of weapons like there were in the old games (i.e. axes, maces, katanas etc.)

From the the tiny bit of the stream I watched I saw that he chose between a hammer and a sword at the beginning. I also believe that all the pre-order legendary weapons are hammers or swords. Seems like it would be a weird thing to take out the weapon types but you never know.

there is

hammers
swords
rifles
&
pistols

Tiamatsword22 said:
That's a bit disappointing. I wonder why they removed everything else.

They removed bows and arrows because they don't fit the time period. What else was there, axes? I only played the first Fable, and that was a long time ago.

fernoca said:
I had no problems with Fable II visuals. The blurriness I think was more related to the excessive amount of bloom-lighting rather than actual blurriness.

I always assumed it was an issue with image upscaling due to the game not being native 720. Whatever it was I found it quite irritating.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tiamatsword22 said:
That's a bit disappointing. I wonder why they removed everything else.

well, your weapons morph and shit as you go on so it won't be like using the same thing the whole time

hopefully

Tubobutts

In Fable 2 for melee they had: Longswords, cutlasses, katanas, cleavers, maces, hammers, and axes.

And for ranged they had 3 types of crossbows, 3 kinds of rifles and pistols, and blunderbusses.

Just seems weird that they would limit you to two weapons for each category.

Tiamatsword22 said:
In Fable 2 for melee they had: Longswords, cutlasses, katanas, cleavers, maces, hammers, and axes.

And for ranged they had 3 types of crossbows, 3 kinds of rifles and pistols, and blunderbusses.

Just seems weird that they would limit you to two weapons for each category.

I'm pretty sure I saw a cutlass-looking weapon in some of the videos so they probably just merged longswords, cutlasses and katanas into the swords category (they're all swords, after all). It could be the same for blunt weapons and rifles. Remember that they morph this time around.

fernoca

The weapons morph depending on how you play and how good or evil you are. Also depending on your achievements and even have yoru gamertag, according to some old info. Maybe people with the game can shed more light into it.

Azure Phoenix said:
Hopefully his character gets a more prominent role this time. It was a real shame that a man of his talent was only given the part of a character you met an hour before the end of the game.

If you want to know how early or late he appears, not really a proper spoiler:

You first see him relatively early, before you become King, and he's bloody everywhere since "Reaver is Industry!" as his propaganda posters proudly declare.

Mastperf

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I'm pretty sure I saw a cutlass-looking weapon in some of the videos so they probably just merged longswords, cutlasses and katanas into the swords category (they're all swords, after all). It could be the same for blunt weapons and rifles. Remember that they morph this time around.
Yeah, with something like 88,000 possible morphs, the sword will probably morph to look like these other sword types depending on your play style. Maybe hammers will morph to look more like axes if you regularly swing it swiftly rather than charging a flourish.

Eliciel

I recently watched a computergames magazine on ps3 called: play'd and they were talking to Molyneux. He once again talked too much but he somehow confused me. He said that we will be able to see our progression with "gameplay chests" where you earn new skills. And in the end of this journey you become king.

I actually thought that we would be become king earlier and then have to show how we perform as a king?

What does he actually mean? Oo

voady said:
I recently watched a computergames magazine on ps3 called: play'd and they were talking to Molyneux. He once again talked too much but he somehow confused me. He said that we will be able to see our progression with "gameplay chests" where you earn new skills. And in the end of this journey you become king.

I actually thought that we would be become king earlier and then have to show how we perform as a king?

The chests is the leveling up system, a big long room full of chests in your pause hub thing.

Would probably have to see the proper thing he said about the "journey". I figure you just misunderstood somewhat. You do get to be king for the second part of the game.

Eliciel

HadesGigas said:
The chests is the leveling up system, a big long room full of chests in your pause hub thing.

Would probably have to see the proper thing he said about the "journey". I figure you just misunderstood somewhat. You do get to be king for the second part of the game.

All right, yeah maybe I misunderstood what he was saying which is not that hard...because I personally think that Molyneux often talks a little bit confusing stuff...

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I just realized how the subtitle of this thread so perfectly matches the general (flawed) opinon of mr. Molyneux himself. King For A Day - during the Amiga years he created Populous and Syndicate. And Fool for a lifetime - he overpromised and under delivered on Fable 1, and talks openly and passionately about games. For some obscure reason, people just won't let the Fable 1 "scandal" go, and being passionate and excited about his own games is somehow wrong.

Hixx

TheOddOne said:
Apparently this got leaked on sie interwebz.

Wouldn't be surprised, reviewers have had it this weekend. Journo on my friends list has been hammering it, hate him. He had Super Meat Boy ages ago as well :(

Nearly all the impressions I've read so far have been positive, hype is rising daily!

CitizenCope said:
Thanks!
Yes, the floating orbs are still part of the game and don't seem to be changed at all from Fable II. The Gargoyles are gone, but instead there are Gnomes to hunt down.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Yeah, it's either morphed weapons OR legendary weapons that you've seen. According to the achievement there are 50 legendary weapons this time around, so it's fair to assume they are very diverse and cover the missing weapon types.

voady said:

The first half of the game has you making progress towards becoming king, this is charted by gathering followers. As you reach set goals of followers the gates on the Road to Rule open up, once all the gates are open you are ready to take on Logan. Essentially it's just a fancy progress bar.

Wiggum2007 said:
Are there any clips of the female main character and voice acting?
Not really, however in the 1 hour Fable III video that Gamespot put up a few days ago it does cut to a voiced scene with the female character for a few seconds - the only thing you can hear her say is "Hey, come on boy!", or you can hear her making vague pirate noises when playing with the dog.

If you want to hear them watch this video at 23:17 to 23:20 for the "Hey, come on boy!" and 28:25 to 28:50 for the dog bit. Set the video to Static streaming so you can skip to the correct points, as there are a lot of spoilers in the video.

TheOddOne

Azure Phoenix said:
Not really, however in the 1 hour Fable III video that Gamespot put up a few days ago it does cut to a voiced scene with the female character for a few seconds - the only thing you can hear her say is "Hey, come on boy!", or you can hear her making vague pirate noises when playing with the dog.

If you want to hear them watch this video at 23:17 to 23:20 for the "Hey, come on boy!" and 28:25 to 28:50 for the dog bit. Set the video to Static streaming so you can skip to the correct points, as there are a lot of spoilers in the video.
The engine seems to have been streamlined. It does looks beautiful.

Wiggum2007 said:
Are there any clips of the female main character and voice acting?
im playing as a female. her voice acting is fine. im curious to see how the game plays out from the male perspective as well.

for those worried about the game being short, im 20 hours in and not even at the halfway point of the story. i am doing a lot of sidequests but very few trivial or repeated ones (fetch courier etc)

CitizenCope said:
Thanks!
1) i havent been online with the game yet so i cant comment; i just assumed the servers and day one DLC wont be up until tuesday. i played some couch coop but didnt like it, the frame-rate seemed to drop a ton.
2) not sure what you mean by stone goblins.. there are a ton of talking gnomes to find and shoot - similiar to pigeons from gta4.

TheOddOne

DevelopmentArrested said:
im playing as a female. her voice acting is fine. im curious to see how the game plays out from the male perspective as well.

for those worried about the game being short, im 20 hours in and not even at the halfway point of the story. i am doing a lot of sidequests but very few trivial or repeated ones (fetch courier etc)
noice.

Finally put down my pre-order today and am going to the midnight launch tomorrow. I can't wait. I actually like that there has been so little information. I went into Fable 2 blind with zero expectations and walked away enjoying it more for the better.

Quick question, though. Can I assume that we can switch between melee weapons and rifles the same as Fable 2? The only reason I ask is that this whole weapon morphing things seems like a big deal, so I hope they don't restrict you to one type at any given time.

GillianSeed79 said:
Finally put down my pre-order today and am going to the midnight launch tomorrow. I can't wait. I actually like that there has been so little information. I went into Fable 2 blind with zero expectations and walked away enjoying it more for the better.

Quick question, though. Can I assume that we can switch between melee weapons and rifles the same as Fable 2? The only reason I ask is that this whole weapon morphing things seems like a big deal, so I hope they don't restrict you to one type at any given time.
you can switch on the fly like fable 2.
also was magic over-powered in F2? Because holy shit, it's like the win button in this.

elwes

DevelopmentArrested said:
you can switch on the fly like fable 2.
also was magic over-powered in F2? Because holy shit, it's like the win button in this.

It was overpowered, but not as overpowered as it was in F1. That AOE Fire spell in F1 destroyed everything. What I remember of F2 is that you had to charge up the spell, and when you got to the final stage of that charge, you'd unleash the fist of god. It was especially useful in the arena stages. I'd start charging it at the very start of each match and destroy everything on screen with the most powerful version of the attack. Repeat until nothing is alive.

This release really snuck up on me. I knew it was coming out soon, but had no idea soon ='ed next Tuesday.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Havent played Fable 3 yet but i loved the overpowered magic you get in F2 after leveling up. Its not overpowered until you hit level 4-5.

Trying to start creating my villager but the site is not responding to the code I'm redeeming nor just creating it in general. wth.

Edit: Called Microsoft, the Villager Maker experienced a glitch in the system so it won't be up until Fable 3 actually releases. People will still be able to do everything and get the 1000G and such, even though the game will be released that day.

Blah.

[Nintex]

TheOddOne said:
Don't let Nintex hear any of this.
I don't like Fable much and have zero interest in it but I was magically called to this thread. Molyneux wants to make an FPS, Rare wants to make an FPS... just make Perfect Dark 2 already and don't cancel it this time :(

Zeal

Banned
This is a quick question for those who are playing, it's not even a spoiler so here goes:

Can you re-read the books you find within the game? I liked in Fable II how you could actually go back through your menu and read about items over again, but there's no freaking UI here and the books are simply read aloud to you like a child and then disappear.

Please tell me they are somewhere in your Sanctuary.

Prine

Banned
http://twitter.com/#!/tombramwell/statuses/28628398328

Almost finished reviewing Fable 3. Not sure what I'll play next - I suspect whatever it is will seem harsh and joyless in comparison.

HYPE!!!

Zeal

Banned
to those sitting on the fence with this, go ahead and buy it, seriously. the sheer amount of stuff you can do in this game seems limitless. the combat is extremely fluid and fast paced and the level of character interaction is way up there. hell, managing property/buying and selling homes/business is like a game in itself this time. love seeing a big fatty rent check come in every 5 mins.

the best comparison i can make is to fable F3 is to the Fable series what Reach was to Fable; an extremely polished iteration, taking all the best features throughout the series and adding enough new stuff to keep you excited.

derFeef said:
To buy or wait for PC to buy or wait for PC.....
He also tweeted that 5am BST Tuesday is embargo lift time.
Yeah I am trying to avoid buying it on 360. Hopefully I can rent it at BBV to tide me over until (if ever) there is a pc release.
Zeal said:
to those sitting on the fence with this, go ahead and buy it, seriously. the sheer amount of stuff you can do in this game seems limitless. the combat is extremely fluid and fast paced and the level of character interaction is way up there.

hell, managing property/buying and selling homes/business is like a game in itself this time. love seeing a big fatty rent check come in every 5 mins.
Yeah but people were pretty excited about Fable 2 as well. And I was kind of upset with it, certainly enjoyed it much less than Fable back in the day.

fernoca

Zeal said:
the best comparison i can make is to fable F3 is to the Fable series what Reach was to Fable; an extremely polished iteration, taking all the best features throughout the series and adding enough new stuff to keep you excited.
:p Megaton?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Everdred said:
If you have played through Fable 2 do you get anything in Fable 3 for it?

If you have a Fable II save, supposedly it will make the gender of the king in the start of III the same as your character in II, but that's it. Nothing else carries over as far as we know.

There could have been some potential there. Imagine booting up Fable II and burying an item, then switching to Fable III and digging up that item at the same spot 50 years later.
Trippy.

Top Bottom