• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Wiggum2007

Snuggler said:
If you have a Fable II save, supposedly it will make the gender of the king in the start of III the same as your character in II, but that's it. Nothing else carries over as far as we know.

There could have been some potential there. Imagine booting up Fable II and burying an item, then switching to Fable III and digging up that item at the same spot 50 years later.
Trippy.

What would've been cool is if your FII Hero appeared in III in statue form, wearing whatever your outfit was in your FII save.

Choc

Banned
does this game have the 'win' button that F2 had?

where you just keep mashing it and you can die and just pick up exactly where you were?

or does it actually punish you for dying now

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Snuggler said:
If you have a Fable II save, supposedly it will make the gender of the king in the start of III the same as your character in II, but that's it. Nothing else carries over as far as we know.

There could have been some potential there. Imagine booting up Fable II and burying an item, then switching to Fable III and digging up that item at the same spot 50 years later.
Trippy.

They should at least use your ending and your character to be the king in III :(

fernoca

Choc said:

where you just keep mashing it and you can die and just pick up exactly where you were?

Well on Fable II, you weren't supposed to smash the buttons all the time. You were supposed to press them following some rythm (like when the attacks hit, you press the button again to continue the combo/string of attacks). Moving the analog stick also changed the direction of the attacks, so you could hit enemies at multiple locations at the same time. Though smashing the buttons was easier.

The punishment has always been in looks and experience. The more you died in battle, the more scars you had. The more scars, the uglier people found you. Plus you lose experience every time you died and you also lose the experience orbs that were floating around.

Blackace

piratepwnsninja said:
That'd suck though. I was a good guy. I wouldn't want my character from Fable 2 to be the evil king in Fable 3.

Your character dies and leaves his kingodm to the evil person..

Red

fernoca said:
Well on Fable II, you weren't supposed to smash the buttons all the time. You were supposed to press them following some rythm (like when the attacks hit, you press the button again to continue the combo/string of attacks). Moving the analog stick also changed the direction of the attacks, so you could hit enemies at multiple locations at the same time. Though smashing the buttons was easier.

The punishment has always been in looks and experience. The more you died in battle, the more scars you had. The more scars, the uglier people found you. Plus you lose experience every time you died and you also lose the experience orbs that were floating around.
I don't think I've ever died in either Fable game, and I don't have a problem with that. They're not very difficult. Rewards lie outside of battle.

Blackace

Crunched said:
I don't think I've ever died in either Fable game, and I don't have a problem with that. They're not very difficult. Rewards lie outside of battle.

amen to this!

Also the gameplay in III sounds awesome.. gathering the support of the kingdom, becoming king and trying to live up to your promises! hell yeah!

Choc said:

the game is supereasy like the other 2. havent died once.

Blackace said:
amen to this!

Also the gameplay in III sounds awesome.. gathering the support of the kingdom, becoming king and trying to live up to your promises! hell yeah!
just started this part of the game and it is awesome.. just remember to have a lot of cash saved up!!!

Zeal said:
to those sitting on the fence with this, go ahead and buy it, seriously. the sheer amount of stuff you can do in this game seems limitless. the combat is extremely fluid and fast paced and the level of character interaction is way up there. hell, managing property/buying and selling homes/business is like a game in itself this time. love seeing a big fatty rent check come in every 5 mins.

the best comparison i can make is to fable F3 is to the Fable series what Reach was to Fable; an extremely polished iteration, taking all the best features throughout the series and adding enough new stuff to keep you excited.

Sold. fucking sold.

fernoca

burgerdog said:
You're still just helping out the other player complete their quests in coop, right?
You can. But the co-op character will also have his/her "traits", so if it's a big guy with horns and everything; don't expect people to be happy when you're around with him.

You can also marry your co-op friend, have children, etc. Joining their back accounts too. So, try not to get on a messy divorce. :p

burgerdog

That's kind of cool, still would have preferred being able to complete quests and both players getting credit. Either way, I love this series and I can't wait to play it.

burgerdog said:
That's kind of cool, still would have preferred being able to complete quests and both players getting credit. Either way, I love this series and I can't wait to play it.

here's a link that details it more for you

Red

Would be nice if my real estate carried over from Fable II. Starting III and already owning everything in Albion would be a nice touch :lol

fernoca

Or like when you become king, you obtain a chest with the clothes, weapon, items, money; your Fable II character/save had.

Hawk269

How is the challenge in the game for those that played it? I found Fable 2 to be WAY too easy of a game and am hoping that F3 is a bit more of a challenging game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So glorious. Fable 3 finally might do the series justice. Ive loved every iteration but hopefully everyone else will love this one too.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeal said:
to those sitting on the fence with this, go ahead and buy it, seriously. the sheer amount of stuff you can do in this game seems limitless. the combat is extremely fluid and fast paced and the level of character interaction is way up there. hell, managing property/buying and selling homes/business is like a game in itself this time. love seeing a big fatty rent check come in every 5 mins.

the best comparison i can make is to fable F3 is to the Fable series what Reach was to Fable; an extremely polished iteration, taking all the best features throughout the series and adding enough new stuff to keep you excited.

You could manage rents and properties and get a big fat check every few minutes in Fable II as well, and it was ridiculously shallow, throwaway tripe

what makes this game DIFFERENT or this feature any better? What makes the character interaction better? In Fable II it was laughably terrible farting in people's faces for communication. I am asking these questions sincerely because Fable II was already on the fence of too casual, and this seems to be even more easy and shallow, so I am genuinely curious to hear you expand on the details of the differences

~Kinggi~

Banned
Amir0x said:
You could manage rents and properties and get a big fat check every few minutes in Fable II as well, and it was ridiculously shallow, throwaway tripe
There were people who thought that was really great and not throwaway tripe at all.

Seems like Fable just isnt going to please you either way.

Hawk269 said:
How is the challenge in the game for those that played it? I found Fable 2 to be WAY too easy of a game and am hoping that F3 is a bit more of a challenging game.
it isn't. in fact it may be easier if you grind guild seals, level up etc.

Amir0x said:
there was nothing to it. you purchased every property and put them just low enough so everyone loves you, and you raked in cash perpetually until you were filthy rich and money had no meaning before the game was even 1/3 over.

not exactly an enjoyable or well balanced system. I would hope to see improvements to this empty nothingness system, much less if someone's gonna say the improvement is Reach level, so I want to know the finer details.

People always like "herp derp nuffin' gonna plz u Amir0x u standards are KER-AZY expecting balance pfft". Ridiculous. Keep it to your self

property system is better now, more involved more to do.plus you actually need to pay attention to it and save money for the late game.

eshwaaz

Crunched said:
Very well put. Not every game needs to offer white-knuckle challenge to be enjoyable and satisfying.

Amir0x

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
There were people who thought that was really great and not throwaway tripe at all.

Seems like Fable just isnt going to please you either way.

there was nothing to it. you purchased every property and put them just low enough so everyone loves you, and you raked in cash perpetually until you were filthy rich and money had no meaning before the game was even 1/3 over.

not exactly an enjoyable or well balanced system. I would hope to see improvements to this empty nothingness system, much less if someone's gonna say the improvement is Reach level, so I want to know the finer details.

People always like "herp derp nuffin' gonna plz u Amir0x u standards are KER-AZY expecting balance pfft". Ridiculous. Keep it to your self

Blackace

Spirit of Jazz said:
Your character dies and as a monarch he leaves his kingdom to his first son who just so happens to be evil. Makes sense to me.

me too. So whatever you play as in Fable II should affect the kingdom in III.. in a perfect world

I've had one of those nights where I've started and deleted about 10 posts before hitting submit. I just want to say I'm hyped. I spent an hour tonight creating my villager, Rosencranz, a brave man of virtue with a saucy tongue that never backs down from a fight. Viva La Revolution!

Amir0x said:

without going to much into it, money and property play bigger roles in fable 3.

Property also requires some maintenance.

leng jai

I really liked the art style of Fable 2, there was something about it that was so "enchanting" for lack of a better world. The game itself didn't really grab me, everything was just so simple. Fable 3 sounds promising though.

Blueblur1

I played a little bit of Fable 1 tonight and all I can say is wow. That is one fugly game. But a lot of the charm that I loved in Fable 2 is present. I may just finish it.

Blackace

leng jai said:
I really liked the art style of Fable 2, there was something about it that was so "enchanting" for lack of a better world. The game itself didn't really grab me, everything was just so simple. Fable 3 sounds promising though.

Fable II didn't grab me at first and I had to put it down for about a month... picked it back up during the slow season and loved it

Blueblur1 said:
I played a little bit of Fable 1 tonight and all I can say is wow. That is one fugly game. But a lot of the charm that I loved in Fable 2 is present. I may just finish it.

It may be fugly, but i definitely like the fantasy setting in fable 1 more than 2.

I agree with Amirox's perspective. Fable II was a very shallow experience. I enjoyed the first Fable partly because I didn't have any knowledge of the "hype." It was a very enjoyable RPG yet nothing more than enjoyable. I read up about Fable II before the game released.

I was " :D ", then I became " :-/ ".

I didn't hate Fable II, though I'm not purchasing Fable III. I'll be renting the game to have the ability to discuss it. My expectations aren't low, but they aren't high either. I'm interested in what Fable III will do right. I expect the combat to be mediocre. I certainly hope I'll enjoy it. Thankfully, my knowledge on Fable III is somewhat low.

Also, Amirox's opinions had not failed me yet. I respect his harsh views on game, mostly because it's usually the truth. :lol

It also doesn't hurt he is one of the few people who believes Harry Potter is a garbage series.

Attackthebase said:
I agree with Amirox's perspective. Fable II was a very shallow experience.

Can't really talk for other aspects of the game, but all sources seem to indicate that the world is significantly larger than in Fable 2. At least on that side of things, this game should be a little more meaty.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Has anyone successfully entered their preorder code to design their own villager at the Fable site or is it still broken?

I emailed Newegg to see what was up with my code, they said they're putting theirs in with the game when they ship it. Hopefully this shit is sorted out by the time I get it.

Strange how y'all are complaining how Fable II did not grab you in the beginning. I thought the beginning scene, as a kid, was very memorable and quite captivating.

Top Bottom