• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Hixx

Watched those G4 videos and my hype is rising. Got Super Meat Boy and Fallout to tide me over, gonna be a good 2 weeks :D

derFeef

watership said:
The stream is pretty awesome. Fuck. Now i'm really excited. Just 4 days away.
Yeah, seems like a player that cares about the game. Most streams on jtv are more like jumping around, skipping stuff and so on.
S1kkZ said:
the stream is choppy as hell for me, but my connection is fine (first time i have issues with justin.tv).
does it offer a lowerQ stream to you? I never get a fluid stream on jtv :/

I've been watching the stream for a while now, and while the visuals haven't been improved the level design has taken a massive step forwards. Mistpeak Valley looks breathtaking and the first dungeon is equally impressive, expansive and with a unique style, it's a far cry from the numerous tiny and identikit dank caves of Fable II.

Hype meter reaching critical levels.

S1kkZ said:
the stream is choppy as hell for me, but my connection is fine (first time i have issues with justin.tv).
Click the Popout button and then close your internet browser so that only the video is left running, I find the useless chatroom and adverts cripple the stream. Don't switch to low quality, it's worse than ultra blurry camera footage uploaded to Youtube.

I see the same dumb expressions from the last game. Burp at people, flex muscles, etc.. what happened to the whole touching thing?

It all looks really similar to Fable 2 to me.

Azure Phoenix said:
One of the designers said in an interview that they looked to Sharpe as an influence.
Well that I didn't know, probably because I never watched any of the interviews. Guess maybe I should get on that now.

S1kkZ said:
question for the guys watching the stream: how are the pop-ups, draw-ins and the framerate?
It's hard to get a feel for the framerate due to the stream not being particularly stable. Draw distance seems fine - considering how much further you can see into the distance now, it's pretty decent. Pop-up is hit and miss, quite a lot of the time there isn't any but a couple of times I've noticed some large set pieces only appear when the hero is right near it. I've also seen some tearing.

Confidence Man said:
I see the same dumb expressions from the last game. Burp at people, flex muscles, etc.. what happened to the whole touching thing?
To be fair, aside from the opening there hasn't been any need to use it yet. The person playing has just been rigidly following the main quest, aside from belching in the face of a few people.

Lostconfused said:
Well that I didn't know, probably because I never watched any of the interviews. Guess maybe I should get on that now.
The Sharpe quote was from a text interview with the artists on Eurogamer: here
It was quite instinctual too - we knew that the story involved war, and munitions, and colonisation... It just clicked, and we all said, "Napoleonic! Let's watch Sharpe! Let's get Sharpe's Rifles, come on!" That's when the look of the soldiers clicked, the military uniforms...

Ok I saw some of the Stream. Graphics look on par with Fable 2 and that is fine to me.
Need to finish Castlevania before this comes out.

Rhino

Must....stop....watching.....stream....

As a huge fan of Fable 1 I found myself somewhat disappointed with Fable 2 but from the stream Fable 3 is looking amazing!

Can't wait till Tuesday.

Seth C

So has any store started selling this bad boy early? I know it shipped early, and I remember picking up Fable II almost a week early at Miejer.

Impressions one hour in:

The main girl has tits bigger than Lara Croft.
Voice-acting is excellent; lips don't match up t ho.
Pretty big choice to make near the beginning.
Graphics seem improved, a little blurry though.

Watching the stream...

This game seems really rough around the edges. After the disappointment of the second, I think I'm going to pass.

DancingJesus said:
Watching the stream...

This game seems really rough around the edges. After the disappointment of the second, I think I'm going to pass.
Speaking of that.. my character just got stuck in a dig site and i couldnt move.. lost 2 hours of gameplay because everytime i tried to reload it just put me back in the same spot.

Nelo Ice

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Speaking of that.. my character just got stuck in a dig site and i couldnt move.. lost 2 hours of gameplay because everytime i tried to reload it just put me back in the same spot.

damnit other than that hows the game been?
upgraded to the LE but if the games glitchy or the game is disappointing then i'll go back to my original plan of getting the standard then eventually trading it back to amazon :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just checked out the stream for the first time, they're playing the king part right now. It looks like a lot of fun, you're making some big choices. The Fable games have always been ego strokers. I definitely like what I see, but I hope theres a lot of substantial content behind the king stuff since Fable II, as fun as it was, felt too short and left me wanting more. It would be a true bummer if you only get to play the king simulation part for a few hours since it's a concept they could get a lot out of.

On a side note, I've always liked the character design in the Fable games and it looks better than ever in the stream.

Dead

well not really...yet
Dude on the stream beat the game in
a little under 11 hours
. Though it seems like he barely did anything other than the main quest and just powered through it.

So, I loved Fable II. Finally going to preorder 3 later today. Think its worth it to play the first? I downloaded it awhile ago on live but my backlog took over. Any chance of a midnight release for 3? I'm going to be stuck in a murder trial next week that was supposed to plead out but the nutter balked. Nsver fails. I'm always stuck in a damn trial whenever a game I'm looking forward to releases.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
GillianSeed79 said:
So, I loved Fable II. Finally going to preorder 3 later today. Think its worth it to play the first? I downloaded it awhile ago on live but my backlog took over. Any chance of a midnight release for 3? I'm going to be stuck in a murder trial next week that was supposed to plead out but the nutter balked. Nsver fails. I'm always stuck in a damn trial whenever a game I'm looking forward to releases.

Whoa.

Anyways, playing OG Fable isn't a necessity, but I would recommend it. It's a neat little game when separated from the hype/disappointment. If anything it'll give you a better perspective on the series. Be sure to play the Lost Chapters version since it has extra content, I should track down a copy one of these days.

game's menus and stuff are definitely better now.. you can basically fast travel to any location (stores, etc) in any town. also, you can change in and out of outfits really quickly. also, i have to say - it's a pretty hilarious game at times.

Nelo Ice

Banned
game's menus and stuff are definitely better now.. you can basically fast travel to any location (stores, etc) in any town. also, you can change in and out of outfits really quickly. also, i have to say - it's a pretty hilarious game at times.

so it sounds like the game itself is good but are the glitches bad enough to ruin the experience?

Nelo Ice said:
so it sounds like the game itself is good but are the glitches bad enough to ruin the experience?

those glitches were horrible, and this is coming from someone who's just played Fallout New Vegas for 15 hours. As long as they don't happen again, it'll be okay but two game-breaking bugs in first 2 hours sucks! I wonder if the guy on the stream ran into them or if it's just me... either way the game is great.

Nelo Ice

Banned
those glitches were horrible, and this is coming from someone who's just played Fallout New Vegas for 15 hours. As long as they don't happen again, it'll be okay but two game-breaking bugs in first 2 hours sucks! I wonder if the guy on the stream ran into them or if it's just me... either way the game is great.

works for me though lionhead is going to take forever to patch that shit =/

I'd really love to see lionhead turn the fable engine into a middle-wear platform and see a dungeon crawler or MMO on it. It seems almost perfectly suited for such a role, just throw in some optimization.

You could even turn the land-owning mechanic into guild housing or something.

VegaShinra said:
The color of the screen darkens as your character takes damage in battle.

Yeah, but does it stay dark... or do you regen like in pretty much every other game with that kind of mechanic (Mass Effect, tons of FPS games)

VegaShinra

HadesGigas said:
Yeah, but does it stay dark... or do you regen like in pretty much every other game with that kind of mechanic (Mass Effect, tons of FPS games)
Regains. Potions and stuff can only be used while in battle, so you'll need to be getting beaten pretty bad to be forced to use a health potion.

VegaShinra said:
Regains. Potions and stuff can only be used while in battle, so you'll need to be getting beaten pretty bad to be forced to use a health potion.

Hm. That seems like it'll make the game even easier. Though not like it's much different. There was no shortage of free healing items in either previous Fables, but now you don't even have to stop and use them! (Also no getting fat from using foods as healing)

Did you try warping to the sanctuary and then using the map to quick travel to another area? Quick travel usually fixed a lot of the "I'm stuck on something" glitches in Fable 2.

HadesGigas said:
(Also no getting fat from using foods as healing)
Food still heals and makes you fat, according to the description for Mutton during the stream, so I'd assume it can be used during combat.

HadesGigas said:
Hm. That seems like it'll make the game even easier. Though not like it's much different. There was no shortage of free healing items in either previous Fables, but now you don't even have to stop and use them! (Also no getting fat from using foods as healing)
If I remember correctly, I had something in Fable II which made my health go up every time I hit an enemy. I don't think I ever died. To be fair though, I really don't play Fable for the challenge, I'm happy to just experience the world.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
supermackem said:
Hmmm dont know if i should go Normal or limited on this.
I went with LE simply because it sounds like there are 1 or 2 areas to explore that are not available in the SE. Hopefully, those extras along with the weapon are worth $20....

Hmmm, saying that outloud kind of makes me think I should get the standard. :lol

Nemesis_

DenogginizerOS said:
I went with LE simply because it sounds like there are 1 or 2 areas to explore that are not available in the SE. Hopefully, those extras along with the weapon are worth $20....

Hmmm, saying that outloud kind of makes me think I should get the standard. :lol

The price difference is actually negligable here. So I think it's very much worth it.

Top Bottom