• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Dechaios said:
It's gone in a second and doesn't affect the gameplay at all.. what's so annoying about it? I like to see how far I am compared to my friends!
Yeah but I get one like, every 3 seconds. I find it obnoxious. I'm not one to usually complain about things breaking immersion in games but goddamn.

fernoca said:
Kinda similar, but the character has more weight this time. No longer need to hold RT to absorb experience, it's automatic now.

How's the leveling system? If it's all based around opening the chests won't it essentially result in everybody maxing out everything?

Spirit of Jazz said:
How's the leveling system? If it's all based around opening the chests won't it essentially result in everybody maxing out everything?

Yeah, it's much more of a Zelda now. Actually it's pretty much what I've always wanted from an HD zelda.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Any opinions on difficulty? I've finished 2 about three times without a single knockdown.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see an optional hardcore mode in the Fable series. Death means you get sent back a fair distance for example, or you have less health. 2 took a decent amount of XP from you but it's so easy to get more!

fernoca

Spirit of Jazz said:
Yeah but, you can advance the story without opening all the chests. It is harder than in Fable II at least, were you could get lots of experience and max oput everything in a short time. You also need to use that experience to buy/unlock gestures and jobs levels.

Also, (crappy) pic of my husband, though I already posted a pic of him from the site (Village Maker); here he is in-game! :lol

2qsnn2h.jpg

Thnikkaman said:
Any opinions on difficulty? I've finished 2 about three times without a single knockdown.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see an optional hardcore mode in the Fable series. Death means you get sent back a fair distance for example, or you have less health. 2 took a decent amount of XP from you but it's so easy to get more!
finishing the game without dying is one of the easiest achievements in a while. there's my opinion on difficulty.

seat

I know there was discussion earlier in this thread about Fable III having this kind of problem, but I never thought I'd encounter a game-breaking bug, which I think I may have here...

game_breaking_bug.jpg

I think the game assumed I was further ahead on my quest progress and lead me to a point where I can't do anything. I regrettably saved my game at this point, (like I said, I'd never encountered a game-breaking bug before in my life), and I can't seem to get around it. I've reloaded my game save, turned the Xbox off and on again, and disconnected my internet connection. Unless anyone suggests any other alternatives, I suppose I'll have to start over.

Sucks to be me, I guess.

seat said:
I know there was discussion earlier in this thread about Fable III having this kind of problem, but I never thought I'd encounter a game-breaking bug, which I think I may have here...

game_breaking_bug.jpg

I think the game assumed I was further ahead on my quest progress and lead me to a point where I can't do anything. I regrettably saved my game at this point, (like I said, I'd never encountered a game-breaking bug before in my life), and I can't seem to get around it. I've reloaded my game save, turned the Xbox off and on again, and disconnected my internet connection. Unless anyone suggests any other alternatives, I suppose I'll have to start over.

Sucks to be me, I guess.
Have you tried "returning to Samuel"?

Go to the sanctuary, select the map, find where Samuel is and fast-travel to him.

I love all the little references to Fable II, especially the quest in Millfields (Bower Lake),
where you have to restore the bridge to the gypsy camp, where "the former monarch grew up".
:D

MrNyarlathotep said:
PC version is indefinitely delayed as part of Microsofts renewed commitment to supporting the PC as a viable gaming platform.

No no no... Jokes? This has to be a joke!

Why when I decide it would be smarter to go the PC route, I hear crap like this?

Didn't something similar happen with Fable 2?

seat

7echnicolor said:
Have you tried "returning to Samuel"?

Go to the sanctuary, select the map, find where Samuel is and fast-travel to him.
Thanks for pointing that out, smart ass. You don't think I tried that?

I can't get to the map. When I press start, it takes me to the "options" screen. From there, I can get to the "load game save" room, but when I leave it just takes me back to where I started, which is the scene in that picture. There's a wall of people cheering for me won't allow me to pass them to go anywhere.

seat

Come to think of it, I haven't even met a character named Samuel in the game yet, so this save is probably fucked.

fernoca

Was just completing that quest. No problem. Samuel is supposed to be there waiting. Let me know if it's a spoiler, to spoiler tag it. :p

EDIT:
Samuel is
that guy you met in the bar with Walter. Which asks you to perform a few missions, to become mroe well known.
..I think.

seat

fernoca said:
Was just completing that quest. No problem. Samuel is supposed to be there waiting. Let me know if it's a spoiler, to spoiler tag it. :p

EDIT:
Samuel is
that guy you met in the bar with Walter. Which asks you to perform a few missions, to become mroe well known.
..I think.
That guy? He's nowhere to be found, and I can't explore beyond this tiny area. Either I'm missing something obvious, or he doesn't want to load for my save.

dralla

im surprised at how good this looks. Fable 2 looked like ass but this one is really impressive. I also really like the pause "menu", as impractical as it is. the combat is still not very good [not yet anyway]. holding X to block is just so dumb

~Kinggi~

Banned
Areas are a lot larger in this game than in past ones. Lots more corners to explore. Loving the game so far. About 4 hours in now. The game seems to have retained all of the features from past games despite changing the interface. I actually think this way is kinda quicker in some regards.

seat

game_breaking_bug2.jpg

These villagers are creating a wall that I can't pass, and I literally can't interact with or pass through anything or anyone. Everyone should face the fact that this title was shipped as a broken game.

Regardless, I enjoyed what I played so far and I might as well start over. I just hope this kind of thing doesn't happen to the rest of you.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
seat said:
game_breaking_bug2.jpg

These villagers are creating a wall that I can't pass, and I literally can't interact with or pass through anything or anyone. Everyone should face the fact that this title was shipped as a broken game.

Regardless, I enjoyed what I played so far and I might as well start over. I just hope this kind of thing doesn't happen to the rest of you.
Can you have fun and cut them to pieces?

Retrofluxed

So, I've punched in all my DLC codes, and I still have yet to get the tattoos from the controller and book, the sword from the novel, nor the Boxer morph for the dog. When the hell do I get them? For info, I'm about to do
the second mission for proving you are a hero where you dress as the bandit to enter a camp.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Ok, is there some way to switch quests? I have a couple queued up but apparently I have to finish the one I queued up immediately. Backlog be damned.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Played about three more hours.

+ Combat is still fun, but the game is piss easy from the word go. When you acquire a certain treasure on the Road to Rule, it becomes a cakewalk. I wonder if a run through the game were possible where one didn't pick up any damage upgrades at all. This would probably turn out boring as fuck though. =/

- Graphics have gotten more blurry as the game marches on. I've been running across more framerate issues and stuttering as well. This would be walking into buildings or in the snow, just walking. Wonder if its my system but the framerate would become a slideshow. =/ Hasn't happened during combat though.

- Still hate the hub world. I really don't feel like exploring the world because of it. You hit a place in the storyline where you need so many guild seals, hit the hub world and run through the list of quests, fast travel, and repeat.

- So tempted to murder every living soul I see because of the hub world...

RiccochetJ said:
Ok, is there some way to switch quests? I have a couple queued up but apparently I have to finish the one I queued up immediately. Backlog be damned.

Enter the hub world, walk up to the map, hit Y for the quest list and select them. This is the only way to switch active quests. Also, you can not do it until you hit a certain point in the game.

fernoca

goat said:
So, I've punched in all my DLC codes, and I still have yet to get the tattoos from the controller and book, the sword from the novel, nor the Boxer morph for the dog. When the hell do I get them? For info, I'm about to do
the second mission for proving you are a hero where you dress as the bandit to enter a camp.
A little later it seems. I couldn't use my Best Buy weapon/tattoo till after that mission you mentioned.

Though I changed my dog (to the one fro mthe regular/everyoen code) just by going to him in the Sactuary and changing it.

RiccochetJ said:
Could be wrong, but my experience was like in Fable II. As in, you can have some in queue, you can be in your way to start one and switch to another. But once you start one, you can't start another one till you finish it first.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Kintaro said:
Enter the hub world, walk up to the map, hit Y for the quest list and select them. This is the only way to switch active quests. Also, you can not do it until you hit a certain point in the game.

Ahh, thank you. Apparently I haven't opened up that option yet. Already I'm annoyed by the Hub World and I absolutely adore John Cleese. Lionhead, patch in a menu so that I can quickly switch between quests.. Like any other game. You know, like WoW... the one that has 12 million subscribers that gives them $15 a month? Thanks.

Edit:
fernoca said:
Could be wrong, but my experience was like in Fable II. As in, you can have some in queue, you can be in your way to start one and switch to another. But once you start one, you can't start another one till you finish it first.

Nah, you could just hit start and then pick your quests. Now it takes you to a hub which is confusing to me because they apparently haven't opened it up yet. While interesting, it became annoying after 5 mins after I was able to open it up.

Monocle

Just popping in to express my jealousy. This game will be mine, but I don't know how soon. Waiting for a decent deal on the LE.

Have fun guys.

Edit:
p3tran said:
trolling aside, its a very nice game, far better than previous titles.
very beautiful gfx, sounds, voice etc.

the only thing that does not "fit", is that molyneux tries to make an interface that is great for kids, yet game is full of gay bullshit.

does not compute at all in my book.

dont mix your bedroom preferences with your work, mr molyneux!
Oh snap, I missed this before. Good riddance you filthy bigot.

WELCOME TO THE SANCTUARY
WELCOME TO THE SANCTUARY
WELCOME TO THE SANCTUARY
WELCOME TO THE SANCTUARY
WELCOME TO THE SANCTUARY
WELCOME TO THE SANCTUARY
WELCOME TO THE SANCTUARY

Dead

well not really...yet
Something funny I just read in the guide re: Legendary Weapons:

Apparently some Legendary Weapons require the hero to perform an orgy with multiple prostitutes in order to unlock bonuses
:lol

dralla

is it worth it to explorer the world? everytime I go off the path and find some treasure it's always money or some useless gem. Do you ever find weapons or anything worth while?

theultimo

Dead said:
Something funny I just read in the guide re: Legendary Weapons:

Apparently some Legendary Weapons require the hero to perform an orgy with multiple prostitutes in order to unlock bonuses

Is anyone having huge stuttering issues? I am getting it running around bright wall and ore places. It feels like the caching this game has sucks.

FrostuTheNinja said:
No no no... Jokes? This has to be a joke!

Why when I decide it would be smarter to go the PC route, I hear crap like this?

Didn't something similar happen with Fable 2?

Fable 2 was never even announced for PC iirc.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Looking forward to playing this on my PC when that version hits. I really dig the revolution angle.

Edit: guess I should change that when to an if

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Kintaro said:
Played about three more hours.

+ Combat is still fun, but the game is piss easy from the word go. When you acquire a certain treasure on the Road to Rule, it becomes a cakewalk. I wonder if a run through the game were possible where one didn't pick up any damage upgrades at all. This would probably turn out boring as fuck though. =/

- Graphics have gotten more blurry as the game marches on. I've been running across more framerate issues and stuttering as well. This would be walking into buildings or in the snow, just walking. Wonder if its my system but the framerate would become a slideshow. =/ Hasn't happened during combat though.

- Still hate the hub world. I really don't feel like exploring the world because of it. You hit a place in the storyline where you need so many guild seals, hit the hub world and run through the list of quests, fast travel, and repeat.

- So tempted to murder every living soul I see because of the hub world...

I fixed (part of) the stuttering by installing the game. Far less pop-up, less stuttering, faster loading (loadingscreen only shows 1, maybe 2 tips for large areas). Makes the entire experience more enjoyable by miles.

Thing I hate most is that you can buy & manage property from the hub, but for redecorating you need to be in your house, even if you want Jasper to do it. That and it's impossible to find your house in the gameworld.

Halfmunch

I love Fable, but I have to say co op is pretty weak, you can't buy things in other people towns, you can't complete quests, weird black screen anytime someone interacts with NPC's, most of the time you can't even tell what's going on. Not full co op in my opinion.

I can only hope for a patch that makes the world a bit more interactive for the visiting player.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Halfmunch said:
I love Fable, but I have to say co op is pretty weak, you can't buy things in other people towns, you can't complete quests, weird black screen anytime someone interacts with NPC's, most of the time you can't even tell what's going on. Not full co op in my opinion.

I can only hope for a patch that makes the world a bit more interactive for the visiting player.

Live-co-op or couch? I have to say couch-co-op is step above Fable 2's.

So started this game in coop and we both found it jarring the way the screen fades in and out in order to interact with an NPC. The perspective shift is also jarring when going into and leaving a conversation.

Also, I like my screen clear........... So many pop up instructions when I just want to see the pretty graphics.

The environments look great so far and I even like the foreground blur effect. The animation in the snow forest on the leaves of the trees was very pretty.

Multiplayer has been alot more integrated and you can start right away with 2 players. I'm getting into this more than the first two.……

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Fffffeh! Just had a horrible experience trying to get this sent from Shopto. Saw it as "in stock" and tried to get it bought, but they'd only send it to my billing address which is not where I am right now. A lot of faffing about and I got the purchase canceled. That's what I get for trying to get it two days early.

Buying it from Game.co.uk instead. Limited edition isn't "sold out" so I guess it's good for release day! Isn't all bad, getting Rock Band and Darksiders PC out of it too. Anyone gotten emails from Game about pre-order bonuses?

Edit: The small print is fantastic. "Terms & Conditions: UK ONLY. Limited Offer while stocks last. Your bonus code will be emailed to you on 12th November 2010." At least I have the nice collectors stuff. :lol

Squeee! It's been dispatched!

Halfmunch said:

I played online Co-Op all day today with my buddy and I have to say I was impressed. I thought it is going to bomb compared to Fable 2's online Co-Op but they did a much better job with it this time around.

However there are few gltiches while playing it, however you can get around them. My buddy however, though he wasn't able to open some of the chests, he did buy books for his dog, unlocked achievements for the campaign while I was the host.

Hopefully, there will be a patch soon that will sort some of the glitches though.

Mastperf

Monocle said:
Just popping in to express my jealousy. This game will be mine, but I don't know how soon. Waiting for a decent deal on the LE.

Have fun guys.

Edit:

Oh snap, I missed this before. Good riddance you filthy bigot.

Not that I agree with him, but the freedom of being yourself on here should be extended to everyone. The word gay is censored on here but saying JESUS CHRIST! or GODDAMN! is considered ok. It's unfair to only censor some of the offensive things while leaving others.
People spend hours a day on here offending each other over videogames. I'm not sure how calling something gay is any more offensive than the other things people call each other. People are all for freedom to be who you are until they get offended and then it's time to take that freedom away from others. If he thinks the game is " Full of gay bullshit." then his opinion should be respected. You don't have to agree with others opinion but it doesn't make it ok to completely silence it.
The gay people I know couldn't give a rats ass about someone calling something gay and usually call each other far worse when joking around with each other.

Zeal

Banned
Can someone please explain to me how the fuck you actually get to Driftwood? I have beaten the game and a quest marker still appears over the town of Driftwood, yet it does not display the town's name over my map nor the quest in my quest list.

Glitched out I presume? Man, I love this game, but it's buggy as shit.

stupei

Mastperf said:
Not that I agree with him, but the freedom of being yourself on here should be extended to everyone. The word gay is censored on here but saying JESUS CHRIST! or GODDAMN! is considered ok. It's unfair to only censor some of the offensive things while leaving others.
People spend hours a day on here offending each other over videogames. I'm not sure how calling something gay is any more offensive than the other things people call each other. People are all for freedom to be who you are until they get offended and then it's time to take that freedom away from others. If he thinks the game is " Full of gay bullshit." then his opinion should be respected. You don't have to agree with others opinion but it doesn't make it ok to completely silence it.
The gay people I know couldn't give a rats ass about someone calling something gay and usually call each other far worse when joking around with each other.

That's nice for them. This gay person is really happy the bigot isn't in the thread anymore telling us how the game isn't okay for children solely because the gay cooties are in it and that shit is catching. The "all the gay people I know are totally cool with it, so it's not actually offensive" perspective is really fascinating and helpful, but largely unnecessary given the existence of gay-GAF.

If it's unclear somehow, you can say "gay" on GAF. You just can't insult things that are actually homoerotic and say they are bad for kids just because they are between same sex characters. If it's appropriate if it's a boy and girl, it's appropriate for a boy and boy. Fact. If you think children need to be shielded away from the game because of the gay cooties and not, you know, the violence and prostitutes that gave it a M rating, you are talking some bigoted dumb shit and likely to be banned. Not for the word "gay" but the actual tone and content of the opinion.

Anyway, Amazon did email me last night to tell me my game is arriving this afternoon, so that's exciting. Hopefully it'll be an easy day at work and I'll get out by 5 or 6. Despite some of the negative impressions in this thread, I'm still really excited and the Giantbomb QL only made me more hyped. I guess maybe I just don't trust Brad's ideas about how to play a game properly and trust myself not to create an ending that I hate. Maybe that's naive, but. :lol

You can still rename your dog in this one, right?

Zeal said:
Can someone please explain to me how the fuck you actually get to Driftwood? I have beaten the game and a quest marker still appears over the town of Driftwood, yet it does not display the town's name over my map nor the quest in my quest list.

Glitched out I presume? Man, I love this game, but it's buggy as shit.

The last one had its share of bugs at launch. I remember interacting with a villager, going to check out their info, and the tool tip got stuck at the top of the screen for the next 40 minutes, even throughout two quests. Random crap like that. They patched it quickly, though, so hopefully it'll be the same this time.

Top Bottom