• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

p3tran said:
I'm 35.

In the game, you have to talk to people to gain approval.
Your character talks to another same sex character.
Opening move ('A' button for you) is an intimate dance that starts with your character sticking his face to the other guys face, wave him from the waist, ends with your character lifting the other character gently in the air, like a ballerina.
Next press of 'A' button has your character performing some macho-like animation gestures, and the other character leans over with admiration, his hands touching around your belt and to the thighs.
Next 'A' keypress said 'whistle'. sorry but I didnt care to press for the third time.

Then you got the right trigger that displays information for other npc's like "common, gay, flirty". And that tag is on neutral people, that you havent even talked to.
The character I talked to in my example, the dance 'partner' that admired my character's groins, had right trigger info "common, straight, aggresive"

harsh for some or not , my critique stands.

Rob Ford plays Xbox?

Only Toronto-GAF will get this.

Just received me LE from Amazon when I returned to my office from lunch. Man, this package is awesome! MS Games Studio has produced three aesthetically pleasing LE packages this year with Alan Wake, Halo Reach and now Fable 3. :D

And GAF, I'm upset with the lack of impressions in the thread. What the hell? Did everyone order from Amaxon and have their game shipment get delayed?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Reluctant-Hero said:
And GAF, I'm upset with the lack of impressions in the thread. What the hell? Did everyone order from Amaxon and have their game shipment get delayed?

Yeah I'm hoping for more impressions but I guess UK Gaf doesn't have it yet and most of US Gaf is just now getting it, or like me, have to wait a few days.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Reluctant-Hero said:
Just received me LE from Amazon when I returned to my office from lunch. Man, this package is awesome! MS Games Studio has produced three aesthetically pleasing LE packages this year with Alan Wake, Halo Reach and now Fable 3. :D

i would have my LE right now from ontrac but amazon decided to use ups this time =/

Colin the cowardly Bowerstone Market pimp is still waiting for UPS to deliver my game. I even got up early this morning to make my villager and clean the house for Fable day. :/

colinpimp.jpg

Just picked up my LE from Best Buy, will post impressions later on. I took some pics of the unboxing of the LE if anyone was curious in the October Pick Up Thread. :D

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just put in about 2 hours worth. So far I'm loving it! Extremely interesting plot and I can tell already that this game is going to do what I thought it wouldn't: pull me away from FO:NV. On the graphics end of things, some minor screen tearing here and there but nothing to write home about really, at least for me. Loving the music, and the voice acting is top notch.

Pushing start to go to the Sanctuary to do all the normal stuff like change clothes doesn't bother me a bit, and in fact I rather like it. The various rooms are sweet. It is neat seeing all the shelves for future trophies, achievements, and such.

Overall, extremely impressed and I can't wait to see more.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Alright, you've hyped me up for Friday, Gaf. As a huge fan of 2 I was planning on giving this a miss after reading Brad's review but I can't stay mad for long... Anybody in the UK or elsewhere interested in an adventuring buddy for co-op? I'll hover around and help you out before starting the character's campaign for real.

Brb, playing 1 & 2 to get back up to speed!

Oh, are there any PC impressions too? If its Live enabled I'm hoping for cross-platform play.

Einbroch

Banned
Okay, this is stupid.

Spoilers about 2/3rd the way through the game, no major story spoilers, though:

When you're king/queen, it's impossible to earn money for the keep without pissing people off. I understand that it's supposed to be difficult and that you aren't supposed to be good all the time. I get that. But my God, my vault is at like -2million. I'm just leaving my 360 on while I go to work to accrue money.

Kind of annoying. But liking the game.

I unlocked the landlord pack or whatever it's called, but when I approach a property sign it stills says I need to unlock the pack. Anyone know whats up?

Only managed to play for about 15 mins last night, so I can't really give any impressions of gameplay...

But fuck me it is seriously jarring when it cuts from the beautifully rendered CG intro to an in game cut scene.
That shit is kinda ugly :(

Having said that, from my very limited time spent with the game the voice acting is fantastic and the story has already pulled me in. Can't wait to get stuck into this game, I want to hold off playing until I finish New Vegas but I'm not sure if I can resist the temptation!

Hootie

Ok so I know nearly nothing about the game, but I heard that you eventually become king. What I want to know is whether or not you can just stop progressing in the storyline and just dick around, being king and all. I'd love to do that :lol

I'm a bit worried this "Road to Rule" concept will kill replayability. In II, once you're through the intro you're able to run off, earn as much as you want, buy properties, get all the clothes you want, colour them you want, do the jobs you want... it was a great way to boost yourself up for the rest of the game.

But now, you have to do multiple quests before you can even buy properties and reach certain job levels. It doesn't feel as flexible this time around, I often wonder if I'll bother playing through again.

lastplayed said:
I'm a bit worried this "Road to Rule" concept will kill replayability. In II, once you're through the intro you're able to run off, earn as much as you want, buy properties, get all the clothes you want, colour them you want, do the jobs you want... it was a great way to boost yourself up for the rest of the game.

But now, you have to do multiple quests before you can even buy properties and reach certain job levels. It doesn't feel as flexible this time around, I often wonder if I'll bother playing through again.
I never replayed Fable II. The game actually did have an emotional impact on me as I felt sad when I lost my dog and my wife,
Lady Grey
. I didn't want to replay it an cheapen the emotional impact it had on me.

I can only hope that Fable 3 will also have the same impact on me.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I got the game today. Not sure why since I still have Fable II sitting on my shelf unplayed.

Tried it out and the BLUR BLUR BLUR everywhere was an instant turn-off. It hurts to look at the game in motion, and there's no option to turn this off. What were they thinking? :/

Lyte Edge said:
I got the game today. Not sure why since I still have Fable II sitting on my shelf unplayed.

Tried it out and the BLUR BLUR BLUR everywhere was an instant turn-off. It hurts to look at the game in motion, and there's no option to turn this off. What were they thinking? :/

The blur is annoying but it isn't as bad as Fable 2. It's a shame because some of the towns and environments look great.

I’m really enjoying the game though. Quite a bit more than I did Fable 2 this far in, which is about four or five hours.

p3tran said:
I dont have a problem with jesus/hell/straight/gay etc.

if you read my original post, I said it just doesnt make sense to make this beautiful game so easy and accesible to kids (rpg with no menus, single press actions, audiovisual style etc) , while sporting this -clearly not for kids- attitude.

so
if you are a parent, you may want to keep this away from your kids.
if you are a gay that feels talking about gay is taboo and/or offensive, eh, not my problem.

It's so light-hearted I have no idea how someone would find it as issue, and I don't think anyone has an issue with talking about it, it's the 'WTF is this gay bullsh*t' attitude that people find offensive.

I'm always suspect on people who feel so threatened by anything vaguely homosexual.

Dead

well not really...yet
Got the LE and kinda surprised how much I like it.

The book/box is actually pretty cool, and the pack of cards are really nice as well.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Impressions after four hours.

+ Voice Acting is very good.
+/- Graphics are blurry, but if you get past that, they're pretty well done.
+ Combat feels as smooth as ever. I really do enjoy it.
- Dog pathing is stupid as shit. It has gotten stuck at least six times now.
- Road to Rule is lame. It's just a round about way of abilities unlocking as you level up.
+/- There iare some funny interactions with the citizens. However, the progression as you level up is weird. First you start with a handshake. Cool. This is how you greet people. Then you unlock an expression pack. Then that handshake is replaced by ...whistling a tune? Then flexing? Then chatting? Then the handshake? What? On top of this, you must do this for every single citizen. One by one by one by one... this will get old quick. I wonder if there is a pack to allow for group interactions to speed things up. Or maybe I'll just murder then all. Is there a way to change the order of your actions in meeting people? If so, I must have missed it.

The Biggies...

- The Good/Bad choices are...well, bland. That is directly from the start too. You've not given very much to go on and that game has you making decisions on who lives or dies with zero context. This is all done so the game can probably try to pull a fast one over on you later in the game. It will probably provide you with the proper context, making you second guess your decisions up to that point. It already feels manipulative. No middle road either. You may as well be an angel or evil as fuck. Yes, other Fables were like this but that doesn't mean it had to continue being so.

- The Hub World is painfully stupid. Basically, we replace adding quick and easy menus with menus that you have to enter. A bit later, they add shortcuts to most of the rooms via the D-pad, but it does not cover everything. Want to switch weapons? Walk over to the armory, then walk over to the weapon, then read about it, then pick it. Repeat for each one. Same with clothing, hair, tattoos, everything. Hell, it has you walking over to the options so you can save your game. Why? Why do this? It is completely pointless. This is a FFXIV level design choice. This is wrong and bad. This is Badong.

- Speaking of Badong, the quest system. Holy shit. Once again, to switch between your active quests, one must go back to the hub world, access the map, pick the town, then hit Y, then pick the active quest. Then, after all that, instead of exploring the world, you may as well fast travel because you've already been taken out of the game with this. Why do I have to do five steps for something that should take three? Open menu, pick quests, select active quest. Done. No loading and no more fucking John Cleese being John Cleese in my earhole.

So far, combat and the main quest are the only thing holding my attention. Everything else is really getting in my way and the hub world may kill this game for me.

fernoca

Well, a little over 4 hours later; so far:

• No glitches, locks or bugs to report.
  • Loadings has been greatly reduced compared to Fable II.
  • Visuals are sharper and more crisp. Looks more clean. Lots of neat lighting effects (and shadows effects too). [Models and geometry are improved, but more simple compared to other games. But considering the change and the upgrades to Fable II is not a problem at least to me, it still looks darn nice]
  • No longer need to hold the trigger to absorb expeirence. There's just 1 kind of experiece and it's automatically sent to the character by doing stuff from fighting, to getting to know people.
  • Game's definetely more complicated. While in Fable II you could basically do whatever you could at any time; here you have to earn and even work to get to do stuff. Which is nice, since it adds difficulty. Like:
    1. You can't just perform random gestures and everyone will like/hate you on it. You have to talk to each character individually for that.
    2. You can't spam the jobs and gets lots of money. Once you max a level of a job, you need to unlock (and pay for) the next level.
  • Music, acting, so far so great.
  • The game iseems to constantly be throwing choices that may alter the later half of the game.
  • The "menu"/sanctuary is a welcome addition, way faster that the slow menu from Fable II, with more options to (like to join random games, achievements, etc)
So far, it's just better and harder than Fable II. Maybe a few won't like the added difficutly to get things to work or to do, but I like it. Makes for a better experience and one that you have to actually work to get right.

Got my copy a day early (Yay streetdates?) and have put in somewhere around 8-9 hours. I'll agree with most of the impressions so far, though the combat becomes "win button" once you get spellweaving and double any complimentary spells that are level 4 or 5.

The first half of the game is just damn good fun and really resembles Fable II in most respects, but once you get a hold of the Kingdom aspect.. it just falls apart. You get stuck with these daily task lists and there's no real management of Albion, just a bunch of "Will you do X and spend Y or won't you and save/make money?"

Any questions, ask away.

fernoca

I still haven't seen my villager yet. Heck, still haven't obtained my Best Buy's tattoo/weapon. Guess it will be later when I have more experience and stuff.

Dead

well not really...yet
^ Best Buy didn't give me my Sword/Tatoo DLC. They said it was only for the regular edition, and besides they didn't even know where the fuck the DLC card was.

btw

Info on first DLC leaked?

Saw this on the Lionhead forum:

Fable III Understone Quest Pack- 400msp

"Discover a whole new town built beneath the streets of Bowerstone. This full size region contains new houses and stalls to own, new creatures to fight and a major mystery to solve. As a special bonus, you will also receive two extra quests for free: the Mercenary Shooting Range, where you can earn prizes by hitting a variety of targets, and the Wheel of Misfortune, which gives you a chance to return to Reaver's manor and participate in his insane combat arena."

http://lionhead.com/forums/t/290714.aspx

fernoca

Dead said:
^ Best Buy didn't give me my Sword/Tatoo DLC. They said it was only for the regular edition, and besides they didn't even know where the fuck the DLC card was.
Weird.
I got the regular edition. The code was in a card they handed to you when picking up the game. (Though it was going to be inside)

Dead

well not really...yet
fernoca said:
Weird.
I got the regular edition. The code was in a card they handed to you when picking up the game. (Though it was going to be inside)
Yeah, they didnt even know about the cards.

They just said, "Oh, the Best Buy stuff is probably inside the regular editions case"

Looks like I got screwed out of it :\

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Reluctant-Hero said:
Yeesh. Between Kintaro & Fernoca's impressions, Fable 3 sounds polarizing as hell.

Still, can't wait to get home and play it for myself!

Garnett Lee didn't like the hub world either:

The elimination of a traditional menu system is not as enjoyable. Pressing the start button whisks your character off to their "sanctuary." It still confuses me every time a menu doesn't come up, but beyond that ingrained response, there are some drawbacks. The sanctuary is something like a virtual master suite with a dressing room, armory, a trophy room, and a space for meeting other players online. There's also a central room with a diorama map table used for getting around the world with quick travel and managing quests. All are fun and engaging to use, but when I'm just out adventuring it's annoying to not have something as simple as a map or a journal with some quest notes to pull up for reference.

Hub world was fun...the first couple of times. Now? It can burn in hell.

Domino Theory said:
Is there a lot of free-roaming/exploration in FIII compared to FII?

Hrm, not really. You're free to roam the areas that unlock, but it seemed like anything in the area (Caves, towns..etc) were setup to be ventured into for quests. The usual chests, dig spots and water treasure are around, but not much else.

fernoca

Dead said:
Yeah, they didnt even know about the cards.

They just said, "Oh, the Best Buy stuff is probably inside the regular editions case"

Looks like I got screwed out of it :\
Try contacting them and/or go to the store. Take the card that says that they were going to give it to you on Oct. 26 when picking up the game (the one that came wit hthe "preoder box" that had the villager code inside too). If you don't have it, just take the receipt that shows you preordered in there.

If they still say they don't and if you have another Best buy in there, contact them.

Though checking on eBay, the codes are going for $40+.. WTF?! :lol

Oh!
And nice info on DLC. Price seems nice too.

Dead

well not really...yet
The menu in FII is unbearably slow and clunky (not to mention the miniscule map), the hub world sounds like an improvement either way imo.

fernoca

Dead, checking around online seems other people had problems with Best Buy too, but got them anyway (from GameFaqs):
So I pre-ordered through BB, went in with my reciept to pick up the CE and my Crystal Sword/Tatoo's card. Guy says "We didn't get any of those". I said BS. Lemme talk to the manager. So he gets the manager and everyone starts DIGGING. Waiting, waiting, some guy brings out all the boxes that Fable shipped in, nothing. So I call another store on the East Coast (my primary store) and they guy there says "Oh, it's in the box". So I cut open my CE, and there is NO preorder codes in there (the CE and the first time codes were in there). FINALLY, (after an hour and change) they find the cards in a FED-EX envelope. So if they have and issue finding them, let them know to check for a fedex envelop with the packs of preorder cards inside. DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT THE PREORDER CARD IN HAND.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow, yeah, I wouldnt wait for an hour though :lol

I think Ill just let it go. I didn't pre-order it btw, but its in the weekly ad, that if you purchase the game, you get the content as well, no pre-order necessary.

Thnikkaman said:
Oh, are there any PC impressions too? If its Live enabled I'm hoping for cross-platform play.

PC version is indefinitely delayed as part of Microsofts renewed commitment to supporting the PC as a viable gaming platform.

Any UKers desperate to get this before friday should probably go with a shop.to order (if they've not paid elsewhere) - if you order before half five tomorrow you'll likely get it thursday morning in the post.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
TheNiX said:
Hrm, not really. You're free to roam the areas that unlock, but it seemed like anything in the area (Caves, towns..etc) were setup to be ventured into for quests. The usual chests, dig spots and water treasure are around, but not much else.

Hm, that's not bad. My favorite thing to do in Fable II was go to Bowerstone Market and just screw with the NPCs while they oodled over my dog. :lol

I LOVE Bowerstone Market.

I have been reading some reviews but cannot seem to find any answers.

Is the game short. I vaguely remember Fable 2 being relatively short.

Is the game more open world?

I liked #2 right up until about 2/3 of the way through.
Once you left Albion, and went to the under ground prison or what ever it was just killed it for me.

I am hoping #3 doesnt go down the same path.

Oh yeah...does the game have real time weather? I cannot remember if 2 did or not.

Kintaro said:
- The Hub World is painfully stupid. Basically, we replace adding quick and easy menus with menus that you have to enter. A bit later, they add shortcuts to most of the rooms via the D-pad, but it does not cover everything. Want to switch weapons? Walk over to the armory, then walk over to the weapon, then read about it, then pick it. Repeat for each one. Same with clothing, hair, tattoos, everything. Hell, it has you walking over to the options so you can save your game. Why? Why do this? It is completely pointless. This is a FFXIV level design choice. This is wrong and bad. This is Badong.

Completely agree. I LOVE Fable, I really do, but this new menu system is baffling. It'd be nice as an optional place to visit, but to be forced to go there every time I want to change something or look up something... it's just a lot of extra hoops I have to jump through that countless other games have avoided since the beginning of time.

Top Bottom