• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Wow! Anyone having major sound issues in the underground tomb? A loud noise that sounds like digital noise keeps intermittently coming on and scaring the hell out of me. It's also loud.

Mastperf

stupei said:
That's nice for them. This gay person is really happy the bigot isn't in the thread anymore telling us how the game isn't okay for children solely because the gay cooties are in it and that shit is catching. The "all the gay people I know are totally cool with it, so it's not actually offensive" perspective is really fascinating and helpful, but largely unnecessary given the existence of gay-GAF.

If it's unclear somehow, you can say "gay" on GAF. You just can't insult things that are actually homoerotic and say they are bad for kids just because they are between same sex characters. If it's appropriate if it's a boy and girl, it's appropriate for a boy and boy. Fact. If you think children need to be shielded away from the game because of the gay cooties and not, you know, the violence and prostitutes that gave it a M rating, you are talking some bigoted dumb shit and likely to be banned. Not for the word "gay" but the actual tone and content of the opinion.
I'm amazed that some people on here are actually able to have a normal life with all the offensive things people face on daily basis. Being an adult mean having to choose what's worth fighting over and what should be ignored. People on here are banned for calling things gay all the time. Let's not act like they have to actually be talking about homosexuality for it to constitute a ban. Had he not mentioned children at all it would have been the same result.
It's selective censorship, plain and simple.

from what i've played so far they really should have delayed this into next year and ironed out the technical issues.

my dog and NPC's constantly get stuck and at times the game stutters like crazy when nothing is going on around me.

venom2124

I have an old 20 gb 360 that I despise because it's so damn loud. I'm thinking of getting a new slim but I wanted to see if anyone here has done the same thing I did. After getting fable 3 I stupidly entered the 3 dlc codes right away. Now I read I can transfer saves via memory card, but is it possible to transfer the fable 3 dlc to a new hard drive?

venom2124 said:
I have an old 20 gb 360 that I despise because it's so damn loud. I'm thinking of getting a new slim but I wanted to see if anyone here has done the same thing I did. After getting fable 3 I stupidly entered the 3 dlc codes right away. Now I read I can transfer saves via memory card, but is it possible to transfer the fable 3 dlc to a new hard drive?
I am sure you can do a license transfer for it.

venom2124

Lostconfused said:
I am sure you can do a license transfer for it.
Thanks for the quick response. How would you go about doing a license transfer? I haven't touched my 360 in a long time due to it's jet engine and I can't find anything in it's cluttered menus.

venom2124 said:
Thanks for the quick response. How would you go about doing a license transfer? I haven't touched my 360 in a long time due to it's jet engine and I can't find anything in it's cluttered menus.
You have to do it through the xbox site

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Support/LicenseMigration/Home

anything you download through live is tied to the console and your live account, if you copy DLC to another console you have to be signed in online to use it. You can do the license transfer so you can use the DLC on the new console without going online.

Shurs said:
Do you still have to hold down a trigger in order to collect the XP orbs dropped by defeated enemies?
Its been mentioned before that you don't. But you barely get any XP from killing anything anyways so it really wouldn't matter in the first place.

hetchi said:
Couldn't he just redownload the DLC through the download history and just transfer his save with a memory card?
Well he well have to download it anyways. With the license transfer it will just save him the hassle of going online to actually use the things he paid for.

MaddenNFL64

I'm going to get this game soon. In the mean time, can someone fill me in on why a weapons pack is over 200 megabytes? What the...

Better be some shiny ass weapons.

So wow yeah they don't just make a joke about fantasy games and game design at the end they also say "Hey that was a joke about fantasy games and game design in general, you got it right, right? That was funny wasn't it, lets all have a laugh now"

stupei

No, seriously: can we change the dog's name this time? I noticed in the QL that Brad hadn't bothered to do so and it made me worry that maybe it's not possible.

ShapeGSX

I ran into a bug last night where I had just finished a quest and then went to the sanctuary to save because I was done for the night. But it said that I had to finish what I was doing in order to save. So I tried to back out of the sanctuary, but it wouldn't let me do that, either. It wouldn't let me talk to John Cleese, either. So I figured I'd fast travel somewhere with the map. But once I got into the map, it wouldn't let me fast travel. It said I had to finish my current quest first. And then it wouldn't let me back out of the map, either.

I probably lost an hour since the last save. :(

Risible

"You have breathed life into a gardenful of gnomes, an act that could not possibly have any consequences in the future."

Bwahahahahahaha.

venom2124 said:

You go to xbox.com website and do license transfer there. Or you can just redowload the DLC when you get your new 360 and it would still work as long as you are connet to Live.

ultron87

Snagged one of the Best Buy codes from the register I was at while buying Rock Band yesterday. They were just sitting there in a big pile. So now I'll be able to get some sort of crystal sword thing and whatever the Amazon weapon is.

Generally loading the Sanctuary is pretty fast, so it seems like a fine menu substitute. However in certain circumstances it takes foorrrrrreeeevvvveeeerrrr. The only time it happened to me so far is immediately after exiting the first dungeon, hopefully it doesn't become a major issue. And I hadn't installed the game yet, so that should help too.

I like that all the experience is the same. That way I can use the one magic spell I have occasionally and not worry about wasting valuable strength or skill experience I could be getting.

so...do towns ever get like impressive looking? So far the increased scale means that IMO they look less interesting, for example you see less houses/area at a given view point.
I got up to the town past the hollow men motar battle

Some of the combat areas look great, but I find the towns looks a lot more generic than in Fable 2.

Einbroch

Banned
Fuck this game. Seriously.

Guys, if you want a hint about when the end of the game suddenly arrives, highlight the spoiler. No story spoilers, promise.

Day 121 is the last day before the end of the game.

No warning. No nothing. Just OOPS END OF GAME SORRY IF YOU WEREN'T READY.

God damn.

ultron87

Is that a constantly approaching deadline or can you mess around as much as you want before that? Can you explore the world after the end to do leftover quests and stuff?

Anyone else playing with Golden Trail off? I like the exploring without it.

Effect

Liking the game so far. Though the mercenary camp reminded me of that bandit camp in Fable 2 at it's start. Same location as well I think from the looks of it or perhaps similarly located. The fight was nice though but I burned through whatever potions I had for the fight. Not having an on screen health indicator is going to be interesting.

The scale of the game world is impressive though compared to the past games. I just hope they put it to good use as I get further into the game. The Sanctuary is nice but I wish I could just pop into a menu system and quickly select things.

venom2124 said:
I have an old 20 gb 360 that I despise because it's so damn loud.

I have the same system. I haven't played it much in recent months but forgot how loud the thing was.

Effect said:
Liking the game so far. Though the mercenary camp reminded me of that bandit camp in Fable 2 at it's start.
No its nothing like that. Maybe you are thinking of the Fable 1 bandit camp.

Or maybe Overlord or something.

FrankT

Einbroch said:

Guys, if you want a hint about when the end of the game suddenly arrives, highlight the spoiler. No story spoilers, promise.

Hmm, yea what Ultron asked.

Einbroch

Banned
ultron87 said:
Is that a constantly approaching deadline or can you mess around as much as you want before that? Can you explore the world after the end to do leftover quests and stuff?

Anyone else playing with Golden Trail off? I like the exploring without it.
You can mess around as much as you want before that, only doing certain "quests" to advance the story. I just didn't think that with
121 days left was the last fucking day was the next day.

Basically I missed out on an achievement, but mostly I just wanted to see the ramifications of what I was trying to do in game. This is stupid, and it honestly makes me want to quit. I haven't completed the game yet, finishing it now.

TommyT

Einbroch said:

No warning. No nothing. Just OOPS END OF GAME SORRY IF YOU WEREN'T READY.

God damn.

lolwut?

So if the console is left one for this amount of time ingame the game will just end?

I'm glad they delayed it. I would've bought it with some Live points I've been hanging on to, but after reviews and impressions here I probably would've been pissed.

Maybe next time you'll get that AAA game to stand alongside Halo and CoD, Peter. :lol

TheBlackKing said:
Just curious...whatever happened to the PC version?

supposedly they're still working on it and after playing for several hours you can kinda see their intent on releasing a PC version (almost all of the button press indicators could easily have their text switched out).

oh how i wish that i would have waited for F3 to hit PC. the horrid blurring and screen-tearing is giving me a headache.

Einbroch

Banned
Review:

+ Combat is much improved over Fable 2. I really enjoyed the way you weave guns and swordplay. Spells were used (a lot), but they weren't really combined with other types of combat. Flourishes, however, take too long and are too easily interrupted by faster enemies later in the game.
+ Weapon leveling is awesome. I love games where you can level weapons. Maybe it's the RPG nerd inside me, but I loved it.
+ Story is very interesting, especially impressed with the depth and detail of the side quests. There are arching side quests that keep your interest throughout.
+ The Sanctuary is very easy to use, even if it's not as good as smooth menu. So much, much, much better than Fable 2.
+ Tons to do. Books, gnomes, weapons upgrades, marriage, children, keys (silver and gold), flowers to collect...there's just a ton of stuff here.
+ Multiplayer, especially couch co-op, is much improved. Still not fully fleshed out, but a good start.
+ Music is absolutely amazing. The soundtrack strikes that balance of adding to a scene without overtaking it.

- The ending. Two reasons: one, it just arrives. No warning. If you're not ready, too bad. The game saves too, so no going back. There is post-game, but you better be ready for it! Two: It's a letdown. Not Fable 2 levels, but it is a letdown. The final boss is laughable.
- Bugs. Dog getting stuck, people not talking to me, objects not letting me interact with them, etc. They're everywhere. Not game breaking, and I never had to reload a file, but they were distracting.
- The game is too easy. I never died and maybe used health potions four times.
- Graphics, especially when it comes to light and moving edges, are jaggy. Atmosphere is great, but technically it's not very pretty on a big TV.
- Accessing quests is really annoying. I really have to pause the game, go the map, press Y, then select my quest? Really? Streamline that shit.
- Clothing options are limited. Maybe there are a ton of secret ones, but I have like 7 sets per gender.
- No face/skin customization. By the third iteration I would have thought they might throw it in, but nope.
- Being good gives you almost no visual queues that you are good! No butterflies, no nothing. Only a small, faded white tattoo above your eyes.

Overall it's a very good game but the ending left a really sour taste in my mouth. Even if I was prepared and knew when it was coming it was still very anti-climactic. The combat, weapon leveling, and sidequests really make this game good.

aesop

Amazon came through with solid release date delivery yet again.  Got it at noon yesterday.

So far, I’m really enjoying the game.  The charm and atmosphere present in previous games returns in stunning fashion.  The writing and voice acting in this game is unparalleled.  So good.  Really like the art style and environments.  The quests that I’ve done so far (4 hours in) have been fun and varied. 

That said… I get the impression that the development team at Lionhead is really lopsided.  It’s like they spent their entire dev budget on artists, actors and writers and skimped on the programmers and tech side of the team.  The game is buggy as hell and the odd framerate issues (it chugs when you’re standing still with no action going on around you, also happened while doing Lute Hero) really take you out of the game.  Molyneux’s over-promising aside, what really hinders the Fable series is the tech.  This game would have greatly benefitted from a 6 month delay and a couple more polish passes. 

Overall, I really like the game.  I’m able to see past the bugs and glitches and enjoy it.  Could have been great, but they settled for good.

why why why can't i back up my save?! these damn auto-saving games come with a HUGE flaw - that if you should, say, get a DRE during a save it fucks you over completely!!

i had to restart F2 over when such a thing happening to me and the same almost happened again! luckily my save was fine this time but i was damn scared.

what's really fucked up is that i got a disc read error WITH THE GAME INSTALLED TO THE HDD!

So I've been hit with the Sanctuary bug where once you go to it you can't leave unless you fast travel, and likewise once you open the map you can't close it and can only fast travel from it.

ShapeGSX

forgeforsaken said:
So I've been hit with the Sanctuary bug where once you go to it you can't leave unless you fast travel, and likewise once you open the map you can't close it and can only fast travel from it.

Lionhead has no email address. I wanted to report the bug to them. So I tweeted it to them over 5 tweets. Pretty sure they will ignore it. Not like it is going to the right person.

SamVT

ShapeGSX said:
Lionhead has no email address. I wanted to report the bug to them. So I tweeted it to them over 5 tweets. Pretty sure they will ignore it. Not like it is going to the right person.

I call bullshit on you sir, especially since I'm in charge of the team looking at the Lionhead email.

Also, we set up a page especially for people who want to report a technical issue which you can find on the Fable 3 forums here http://lionhead.com/forums/83.aspx

SamVT

forgeforsaken said:

Is this during the "tutorial" part of the Sanctuary where you have to fast travel to go to Brightwall village? If thats the case just complete it and it should all be fine.

ShapeGSX

SamVT said:
I call bullshit on you sir, especially since I'm in charge of the team looking at the Lionhead email.

Also, we set up a page especially for people who want to report a technical issue which you can find on the Fable 3 forums here http://lionhead.com/forums/83.aspx

Wow, awesome! :D

Your "Contact Us" page has no email address, though!

I'm glad that you guys are monitoring other forums. I'll report this in the official forum right away.

Normally I'm not that cynical, but I was really bummed about losing my progress last night.

Einbroch said:
Review:
- Graphics, especially when it comes to light and moving edges, are jaggy. Atmosphere is great, but technically it's not very pretty on a big TV.

I'm not very far but I definitely agree with this. I played Fable 2 on a small PC monitor. Since then I've upgraded to a 40'' plasma TV, and it's pretty jarring how messy the game can look. Love the art and atmosphere but so far it's pretty janky performance wise.

SamVT

ShapeGSX said:
Wow, awesome! :D

Your "Contact Us" page has no email address, though!

Normally I'm not that cynical, but I was really bummed about losing my progress last night.

I think we took the email off that page for the time being (always do that during launch days) as on a normal day we get about 5K but on launch days sometimes it goes up to 20K (people asking questions, having problems, asking for tips and hints etc...)

I can imagine getting bummed about loosing progress, wouldn't be happy myself either and I think I speak for everyone at Lionhead when I say that.

I'm about 4 hours in and still feel like I'm in the damn tutorial. I don't know, I loved Fable 2 but so far I'm not feeling this one. We shall see.

TheBlackKing

Neo Member
WickedLaharl said:
supposedly they're still working on it and after playing for several hours you can kinda see their intent on releasing a PC version (almost all of the button press indicators could easily have their text switched out).

oh how i wish that i would have waited for F3 to hit PC. the horrid blurring and screen-tearing is giving me a headache.

Ah-ha, so that's it. I think I'll wait on it to come to the PC, then. That was basically my intent from the beginning but you've just reinforced it.

MechDX

CitizenCope said:
I'm about 4 hours in and still feel like I'm in the damn tutorial. I don't know, I loved Fable 2 but so far I'm not feeling this one. We shall see.

It gets better. Fable games, IMO, always start out pretty slow. This one ramped up nicely.

Top Bottom