• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

SamVT said:
Is this during the "tutorial" part of the Sanctuary where you have to fast travel to go to Brightwall village? If thats the case just complete it and it should all be fine.

Doesn't seem to be. It's every time I go to the Sanctuary and I've completed enough quests that they sent food to the dwellers. It's like it never registered that I did that tutorial and has frozen on it's logic for the Sanctuary.

ShapeGSX

SamVT said:
I think we took the email off that page for the time being (always do that during launch days) as on a normal day we get about 5K but on launch days sometimes it goes up to 20K (people asking questions, having problems, asking for tips and hints etc...)

I can imagine getting bummed about loosing progress, wouldn't be happy myself either and I think I speak for everyone at Lionhead when I say that.

My description of the bug is well over 500 characters, unfortunately. I could neuter it. But if you could provide me with an address to send it to without the 500 character limit, that would be awesome.

Alternatively, here is the bug report:
I have run across a bug previous to this where you go into the sanctuary, and the butler won't talk to you (No A button over his head), and you can't exit the sanctuary by hitting start again. You have to fast travel using the map, instead. I do not know why this happened. I can't get it to happen all the time. But it did happen when I hit start while I was in the "road to rule."

A more insidious version of this bug can lead to loss of progress and having to quit the game and reverting to the last save. I can detail how I ended up with this happening.

1. Talking to the knight (can't remember his name) in the Brightwall tavern.
2. Butler interrupts and tells me how I can earn more seals. I think I had ~27 seals at this point.
3. The compass shows up at the "Up" position on the D-Pad. So I hit it.
4. I went to the road to rule. But I meant to go talk to the butler in the sanctuary.
5. I hit Start. It takes me to the sanctuary, but the butler won't speak to me (no A button over his head).
6. I hit start again and go back to the road to rule, and I then teleport back to the tavern.
7. Then I hit start and go to the sanctuary, and the butler is quite happy to tell me all about how to find quests on the map!
8. I find the
Chicken Suit quest
and fast travel to it.
9. I complete the
chicken suit quest (elect to save the poor chickens)
and want to save (it's late).
10. I hit start. But the butler won't speak to me, and the Save menu item tells me that I have to finish what I am doing in order to save (really annoying. I should be able to save any time).
11. Now I can't get back to the game by hitting B or Start. Nothing happens.
12. So I fast travel to the
gnome quest
from the map. It lets me. I let the guy say his thing. But I don't start the quest!
13. I still want to save. So I hit Start.
14. The butler still won't speak to me. I still can't Save. And I can't back out of the sanctuary!
15. I go into the map of Brightwall to fast travel, and it says that I can't fast travel until I have finished my quest. But it also won't let me hit B to exit the map. I hit Y to see what quests are active, and it has a green checkmark next to the first one. I can select other quests in the map, but it won't let me fast travel to them. I can't get out of the map. Game over.
16. I eventually hit the guide button and quit back to the dashboard, losing an hour or so of progress in the game.

watership

Is this dog breeding in this game? Do you just get new dogs? If so, what breeds of dogs are available? I did some searching and found vague forum posts and speculation but I couldn't find anything confirming it.

atomsk

Party Pooper
kinda not related to this thread, but if there is some kind soul on GAF who would spend 5 minutes and help me with the stupid doll achievement in Fable 2, I would be very grateful.

it's the very last thing I'm missing and it still bugs me that I don't have it

derFeef

Dang, so happy the english voices are going to be available as download again. Just watched a bit of German gameplay and it is HORRIBLE. The typical "I have no idea what´s going on right now and so I am going to accentuate the sentence/word completely wrong" thing.

SamVT

ShapeGSX said:
My description of the bug is well over 500 characters, unfortunately. I could neuter it. But if you could provide me with an address to send it to without the 500 character limit, that would be awesome.

I've forwarded it and included it in the internal report here ShapeGSX it doesn't mean it will be fixed today but we're looking at it and if they can repro, then they can fix.

ShapeGSX

SamVT said:
I've forwarded it and included it in the internal report here ShapeGSX it doesn't mean it will be fixed today but we're looking at it and if they can repro, then they can fix.

Thanks, Sam! I know these things take time to fix (especially with MS certification), but if other people can avoid it, that's good enough for me.

Thanks for being active in the community. It definitely helps!

Jinaar

SAMVT: Request - please inform the team that the full screen motion blur / full bloom effect is headache inducing. I thought REACH was bad. This is nauseating. At times FABLE 3 runs so smooth, everything is sharp and chrisp! Then, the game realizes you might be enjoy the experience and decides to shit on your parade and bloom/blur the screen to the abyss. I had to stop playing the game it was so bad last night. Why does it have to be like this? :(

Enjoying the shit out of the game though, the environments are way bigger this time, so I will suck it up and take the good with the bad....

*eyes bleeding*

FrankT

Wait, someone tell me where I can find the actual day in the game. As referring to the cut off mentioned earlier. I like the dressing room/areas better than the old menu system. As for as the blur it seems to be not be effecting me as much as Reach. Though after playing that so much of that perhaps I got used to it. I haven't ran into any bugs yet although some serious FR issues early on and tearing from time to time, do not like. So very rpg light feeling this time though.

Einbroch

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Wait, someone tell me where I can find the actual day in the game. As referring to the cut off mentioned earlier. I like the dressing room/areas better than the old menu system. As for as the blur it seems to be not be effecting me as much as Reach. Though after playing that so much of that perhaps I got used to it. I haven't ran into any bugs yet although some serious FR issues early on and tearing from time to time, do not like. So very rpg light feeling this time though.
It's not until you're king/queen. If you're just playing through the game up to that point there is no date.

And it's not a "leave the 360 on for 4 hours and oh shit the game's over". It's a "Oh, it's this day. That means I have
days left, I'll just continue on...wait, what? I had
days! Why is it the last day!?"

watership said:
Is this dog breeding in this game? Do you just get new dogs? If so, what breeds of dogs are available? I did some searching and found vague forum posts and speculation but I couldn't find anything confirming it.

The collie is the first breed you get, the settler breed is one you get just for buying the game like with Halo Reach's armor. The Boxer breed is given only through the purchase of the LE.

FrankT

Einbroch said:
It's not until you're king/queen. If you're just playing through the game up to that point there is no date.

And it's not a "leave the 360 on for 4 hours and oh shit the game's over". It's a "Oh, it's this day. That means I have
days left, I'll just continue on...wait, what? I had
days! Why is it the last day!?"

Weird decision. I suppose that is what CVG was referring to, but then again there doesn't seem like anything you can do to postpone going on like ME2.

Einbroch

Banned
Trust me. If you don't want to continue in the game to the ending you don't have to. Just don't do
the daily duties on the day with 121 days left
and you'll be able to play as long as you want.

But there's no warning. That's what really bothered me.

sethcheek

When I saw my friend's orb in the game last night, I tried to interact with it. Not knowing what the icon was that showed up on the D-Pad, I hit "down". I later figured it out, and think I "hid" him, but now I can't get it back.

I've gone to the sanctuary and changed the "View Orbs" setting to everyone, friends only, and no one, but nothing I do brings back his orb. I've also restarted the game with no luck.

I can't find a list of people I'm "ignoring", and can't figure out a way to get him to show up again. Anyone have any ideas, or having this problem also?

FrankT

Einbroch said:
Trust me. If you don't want to continue in the game to the ending you don't have to. Just don't do

Well that is good to hear then. Hate it for ya, but thanks for the heads up.

TommyT

Einbroch said:

lol yeah thanks for that heads up. Will be sure to keep a post-it note or something to prevent this from happening. :lol

sethcheek said:
I've gone to the sanctuary and changed the "View Orbs" setting to everyone, friends only, and no one, but nothing I do brings back his orb. I've also restarted the game with no luck.
Sorry I can't help you. I am surprised orbs are in the game again. 4+ hours in and I haven't found the option. Game can be pretty confusing in the beginning. At least it has been for me.

Hawk269

I will post some impressions in here along with some "weird" stuff the game does when you have a Co-Op partner.

Issues w/Co-Op:

I invited a friend to join my game hoping to open a demon door (I was early in the game). When he joined my game, the glowing trailer (bread crumb trail) appeared. Even though it is off in my game and he joined my game. When he left the game, I had to go back to the menu to turn it off. It appears that when someone else joins "YOUR" game, their settings are over-writtten and you have to reset yours. Not sure if it did anything else, but thought that was very odd.

Impressions:
WoW. I am very impressed by the game. At first a friend that was about 1 hour ahead of me was unsure of the game as it seemed linear "paths", but he did not venture out very much. When I played the same area, I ventured out and discovered that the "zones" are much larger and detailed than the ones in Fable 2. Visually, I think the game looks alot better than F2. To me it seems a bit more crisp, perhaps running at a true 720p rez of something, but that slight blurriness that I experienced in F2 is not present in F3.

There is some screen tearing, but it seems to be kind of limited to certain areas, screeen tearing really bugs me and it was disapointing to see right when you start the game, but as I played, it seemed to clear up a bit. It showed up again when you enter the first underground area, but only when you first enter the area. So, yes, there is some tearing, but for someone like me that hates tearing, it is very tolerable.

I know some folks dont like the Santurary, but I ask that you go play F2 again and deal with menus and then try the Santurary again. I think it is pretty amazing that they can make a menu system, without a menu. It is pretty well implemented and really welll done. I also like the lack of a hud in the game world as it is more immersive to me that way.

This is the first Fable game where I did not follow it much, I did not watch many videos, screens shots etc...and to be honest I was not expecting too much and I am pleasently supprised on how good the game is.

DarkKyo

One thing really pissing me off about this game.. I love lute hero but in the later stages (8-10 multiplier) it's so quick and dependent on timing yet the framerate begins to stutter when there are lots of civilians around, completely throwing my timing off on the mini-game. SUCKS ASS.

stupei

Ugh, seriously my luck with this game is so terrible before I've even put the disc in the tray, I'm starting to think it's a bad omen.

My LE arrived from Amazon just a few minutes ago and I immediately opened it, even though I'm at work. Just wanted to check the condition and all. Like others have said, I'm very impressed by the condition of the book.

But just one catch: the little coin thing that's supposed to come with it is missing. Now this isn't one of the big things I was that interested in, but still I paid the extra $20 and want all the extras. Do you think if I contact Lionhead directly they'll send me one or do I have to send the whole thing back to Amazon and wait even longer to play the game? I really don't want to have to go that route, I really want to play it tonight.

SamVT

stupei said:
But just one catch: the little coin thing that's supposed to come with it is missing. Now this isn't one of the big things I was that interested in, but still I paid the extra $20 and want all the extras. Do you think if I contact Lionhead directly they'll send me one or do I have to send the whole thing back to Amazon and wait even longer to play the game? I really don't want to have to go that route, I really want to play it tonight.

We had 3 similar cases on the official Lionhead forums last night, after a lot of back and forth we discovered the coin was dislodged but inside the hidden compartment nonetheless. They all found their coin in the end by taking it out. Give that a try please and let me know!

stupei

SamVT said:
We had 3 similar cases on the official Lionhead forums last night, after a lot of back and forth we discovered the coin was dislodged but inside the hidden compartment nonetheless. They all found their coin in the end by taking it out. Give that a try please and let me know!

I was wondering if that might be the case, but was worried the compartment would be easy to break. And like I said, the book is really nice, so I didn't want to mess it up. :lol (Between this and the Alan Wake LE, I'm starting to think fake books are the way to go if you want to make your Collector's Edition really classy.) But with your assurance, I went ahead and tried removing it and, yeah, it's in there. Thanks for that!

And yeah, the coin is of really nice quality too. Glad I went ahead and got the LE, it's very, very nice.

TimeLike

All this talk of bugs is really getting me paranoid. Is there any way to back up the game save? I navigated to the file through the dashboard and tried to "copy" it to an external memory card, but the xbox says I am not allowed to do that. Any other options or do I just have to play with my fingers crossed?

Anyone know if you can get the snazzy prince outfit back later in the game? In the very beginning where you choose between the prince outfit and the practical outfit, I chose the practical outfit. Alas, the prince outfit is nowhere to be found in my sanctuary. I'm half tempted to start the game over.:lol

Einbroch

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
Anyone know if you can get the snazzy prince outfit back later in the game? In the very beginning where you choose between the prince outfit and the practical outfit, I chose the practical outfit. Alas, the prince outfit is nowhere to be found in my sanctuary. I'm half tempted to start the game over.:lol
You can buy it later, no worries.

sethcheek said:
When I saw my friend's orb in the game last night, I tried to interact with it. Not knowing what the icon was that showed up on the D-Pad, I hit "down". I later figured it out, and think I "hid" him, but now I can't get it back.

I can't find a list of people I'm "ignoring", and can't figure out a way to get him to show up again. Anyone have any ideas, or having this problem also?
The same thing happened to me last night. I had no idea what hitting down on the d-pad would do, and then my friend's orb just blooped out of existence and I also can't find a way to undo it.

Some quick niggling bits/questions:

* Is it now impossible to play fetch with your dog? I can throw the ball but he won't go after it. Am I missing a dog expression?
* Is it just me or are the expressions you can use on villagers completely random? No I don't want to sexy dance with the shopkeeper dude - why is that my only option?
* Its hard to use the zoom-in map over a region to tell where you need to go. It needs to say "You are here" somewhere.
* Is there no longer any system to spend points on strength, dexterity etc.? Or does it just happen over time through your actions?

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
not sure if this has been answered yet but can anyone give me (as spoiler free as possible) an idea of where the "point of no return" is at the end? Do you see it coming at all?

Painraze said:
not sure if this has been answered yet but can anyone give me (as spoiler free as possible) an idea of where the "point of no return" is at the end? Do you see it coming at all?

I'd like to know this as well.

7echnicolor said:
I'd like to know this as well.
Fuck this game. Seriously.

Guys, if you want a hint about when the end of the game suddenly arrives, highlight the spoiler. No story spoilers, promise.

Day 121 is the last day before the end of the game.

No warning. No nothing. Just OOPS END OF GAME SORRY IF YOU WEREN'T READY.

God damn.

Just wanted to reiterate this question:

* Is it just me or are the expressions you can use on villagers completely random? No I don't want to sexy dance with the shopkeeper dude - why is that my only option?

Its the only part of F3 thats really bothered me so far. Why cant I choose how to emote? Its not an expression if I'm only given one choice. But hey, I can hold anybody's hands...

NullPointer said:
* Is there no longer any system to spend points on strength, dexterity etc.? Or does it just happen over time through your actions?

You upgrade through the road to rule, by opening the chests. The end. Yeah sucks:lol

TommyT

NullPointer said:
Just wanted to reiterate this question:

Its the only part of F3 thats really bothered me so far. Why cant I choose how to emote? Its not an expression if I'm only given one choice. But hey, I can hold anybody's hands...

I believe it's been mentioned that the game randomly picks an action from your pool of actions for you.

cleveridea said:
You upgrade through the road to rule, by opening the chests. The end. Yeah sucks:lol
Not really. If you look at the stats screen there are 3 stats strength/stature/magical aura that are not effected by the road to rule and probably are based on what you use in combat the most.

TommyT said:
I believe it's been mentioned that the game randomly picks an action from your pool of actions for you.
If true, that's a horrible, horrible design decision.

Whats the use of emotes if they're chosen at random? What a letdown.

TommyT

Lostconfused said:
Not really. If you look at the stats screen there are 3 stats strength/stature/magical aura that are not effected by the road to rule and probably are based on what you use in combat the most.

Also, don't remember if it was mentioned in game or in a review but... If you use the hammer you get larger/muscular as if you're building strength from swinging around a big hammer. If you were to use a range weapon a lot you will be tall and lean.

NullPointer said:
If true, that's a horrible, horrible design decision.

Whats the use of emotes if they're chosen at random? What a letdown.

From the G4 review:
Whereas in previous Fable games you selected your interaction from a wheel and could perform for an individual or a group, here you choose a single NPC and then select a good, silly, or mean expression (assuming you have earned them) except the specific expression that is displayed, after you pick a category, is chosen by the game.

Whereas in previous Fable games you selected your interaction from a wheel and could perform for an individual or a group, here you choose a single NPC and then select a good, silly, or mean expression (assuming you have earned them) except the specific expression that is displayed, after you pick a category, is chosen by the game.
So what about gifting items, or the love expressions, or proposing? Does that really mean that if I want to use the Blow Kiss or Come Here expressions I'm going to have to keep entering and exiting the interaction menu until they come up?

Really, really stupid decision that Lionhead has made.

Azure Phoenix said:
So what about gifting items, or the love expressions, or proposing? Does that really mean that if I want to use the Blow Kiss or Come Here expressions I'm going to have to keep entering and exiting the interaction menu until they come up?

Really, really stupid decision that Lionhead has made.
Gifting/Donating is a separate option that will come up if you cant do it. Come here or kiss expressions wont ever come up at all with some one who isn't a friend/lover or whatever it is.

fernoca

Love how the wedding are actual weddings this time.
Like you propose, then you're asked to choose a house that you own for the matrimony. Then you're asked wha kind of wedding do you want from free (0 gold) to more elaborate (4,000 gold) and were do you want it. Then the ceremony is shown, people celebrating, etc. really nice.

heringer

Oh, ouch. This game is completely cheap and unfair with people who play as good hero. And I don't mean "more challenging", I mean cheap. Seriously, wow. So unbalanced, it's not even funny.

fernoca said:
Love how the wedding are actual weddings this time.
Like you propose, then you're asked to choose a house that you own for the matrimony. Then you're asked wha kind of wedding do you want from free (0 gold) to more elaborate (4,000 gold) and were do you want it. Then the ceremony is shown, people celebrating, etc. really nice.

Except that if you marry a beggar he/she won't even take a bath and change clothes. I mean, how hard it is to change the skins? WTF? :lol

Seth C

The way you interact with people is just a huge downgrade in general. Why do I have to click a button to enter the "interact" mode? It's like they worked so hard to get rid of the normal menu only to create one where it didn't exist before. Then when I'm done I have to exit and wait for the fade out. So annoying. Makes me not want to interact with anyone, ever. Which is a shame considering it is such a key part of Fable 3 and yet the mechanics have been downgraded from Fable 2. Silly.

TommyT said:
From the G4 review: ...
Thats not even how I'm seeing it to work, but I guess that's one description. Say I walk up to a beggar - my options right off the bat are to hold hands or interact. Holding hands is ALWAYS available, at all times. If I interact, I always get two options: Belch and Give Money, with the third option being a randomly chosen "good" option I guess. In this case it might be "dance". That's it. Not "shake hands". Not "hero pose", nor anything else I might actually *want* or *decide* to do.

Its like this with every village and shopkeeper. And for the life of me I can't think of just what drove them to remove all the heart from the expression system.

heringer

Seth C said:
The way you interact with people is just a huge downgrade in general. Why do I have to click a button to enter the "interact" mode? It's like they worked so hard to get rid of the normal menu only to create one where it didn't exist before. Then when I'm done I have to exit and wait for the fade out. So annoying. Makes me not want to interact with anyone, ever. Which is a shame considering it is such a key part of Fable 3 and yet the mechanics have been downgraded from Fable 2. Silly.
It's crazy how for every step forward they took two steps backwards. Some design decisions are truly baffling.

TommyT

NullPointer said:
Thats not even how I'm seeing it to work, but I guess that's one description. Say I walk up to a beggar - my options right off the bat are to hold hands or interact. Holding hands is ALWAYS available, at all times. If I interact, I always get two options: Belch and Give Money, with the third option being a randomly chosen "good" option I guess. In this case it might be "dance". That's it. Not "shake hands". Not "hero pose", nor anything else I might actually *want* or *decide* to do.

Its like this with every village and shopkeeper. And for the life of me I can't think of just what drove them to remove all the heart from the expression system.

Oh, well that's probably because you haven't 'purchased' the other interactions from the Road to Rule. Later you'll get the lover ones, humor ones, bully, etc.

Top Bottom