• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Warnen said:
I know they aren't the same type of game but this game blows fallout NV out of the water. That game was fighting me every inch with the game stopping bugs and glitches. So far fable 3 is my fav game since Dragon Age. Great stuff.
Eh these are two different games and you can't really compare them.

Dead

well not really...yet
I heard there was some trouble with all the DLC codes yesterday.

Has everything been sorted out?

bigswords

Lostconfused said:
Different as in Stalker has more bugs than Halo and I would call you a twat for comparing the two.

What's the difference, both are you playing as a role of someone. Call me whatever you want I have +10000 against gaf insults as there are usually not worth anything.

bigswords

Einbroch said:
It's not really a plus when one game has 128 and another has 133. :p

At least I didn't encountered a bug in Fable 3 where I used a key on a door , the key is used and the door is still locked and the game is broken.

Ok no more OT stuff, dont want to get ban over Fallout NV. Shitty bug ridden game shouldn't cost me my gaf account. I will wait for a patch for that game before touching it.

Since we are talking about bugs and news from Lionhead on any? Well I at least submitted some bugs for them.

Zeal

Banned
Very happy now, because...

I just found my Super Best Friend, Chesty. His apperance in the game this time around is pretty freakin' epic and brings back memories. I swear, I want a spin-off with this character.

jred2k

I'll feel stupid if I'm missing it, but is there anyway to switch the active quest. It annoying losing the trail for a main quest just because I accepted the side quest. Doing away with the start menu has been really annoying so far. Like the idea, hate the implementation.

soujiro_seta said:
How can I unlock the city on the water and the one at the very top of the map?

So far, all the unlocked cities will eventually unlock while going through the campaign.

For the ones that don't unlock in the campaign, might be DLC.

Just my guesses though.

EDIT:

jred2k said:
I'll feel stupid if I'm missing it, but is there anyway to switch the active quest. It annoying losing the trail for a main quest just because I accepted the side quest. Doing away with the start menu has been really annoying so far. Like the idea, hate the implementation.

As far as I know that is the only way.

Minosha

Neo Member
I'm enjoying the game so far, still building my followers up for the revolution. Lots of positives, however there are a few things that bother me.

For one, the new interact system. While I like the idea of actually interacting, I don't particularly care for going to a 'new screen' to do so - especially in co-op. However, my biggest complaint is that I don't get to choice my interactions as freely. They give a (random?) nice and naughty.... I don't want to dance with the guys, I want to shake their hands. I wish there was a way to cycle the presented options; besides leaving and going back in, which still doesn't guarantee you the one you want.

Not sure exactly how I feel about the 'Road to Rule'. I kind of miss getting melee, skill, will exp and spending it accordingly - but I guess it isn't a negative to me, just different. At first, I didn't know what to think about the Sanctuary, but after using it for a while and the fact that its just as fast loading wise as a menu, I think it works well. Still a little disconcerting to hit start and not see a pause menu, but I'm getting past that.

Final negative, the slow down I experience at times... can be quite annoying; Its like I'm randomly using a Time Slow potion while walking around! The stutter while playing Lute Hero makes me weep too.

Overall though, I'm thoroughly enjoying it, just like I did Fable and Fable II and the positives outweigh the negatives by quite a lot in my mind so far.

Oh, and a quick question for those further along than myself:
If I tell Elise to stay with Lazlo, will I see her around town later in the game or does she vanish? I kind of want to marry her, but I'm not ready for a wife yet! lol (My quitting point for tonight was right before I have to make the decision so that I can sleep on it.... These decisions really weigh on me! Part of the reason I love the game so much!)

Minosha said:
I'm enjoying the game so far, still building my followers up for the revolution. Lots of positives, however there are a few things that bother me.

For one, the new interact system. While I like the idea of actually interacting, I don't particularly care for going to a 'new screen' to do so - especially in co-op. However, my biggest complaint is that I don't get to choice my interactions as freely. They give a (random?) nice and naughty.... I don't want to dance with the guys, I want to shake their hands. I wish there was a way to cycle the presented options; besides leaving and going back in, which still doesn't guarantee you the one you want.

Not sure exactly how I feel about the 'Road to Rule'. I kind of miss getting melee, skill, will exp and spending it accordingly - but I guess it isn't a negative to me, just different. At first, I didn't know what to think about the Sanctuary, but after using it for a while and the fact that its just as fast loading wise as a menu, I think it works well. Still a little disconcerting to hit start and not see a pause menu, but I'm getting past that.

Final negative, the slow down I experience at times... can be quite annoying; Its like I'm randomly using a Time Slow potion while walking around! The stutter while playing Lute Hero makes me weep too.

Overall though, I'm thoroughly enjoying it, just like I did Fable and Fable II and the positives outweigh the negatives by quite a lot in my mind so far.

Oh, and a quick question for those further along than myself:
If I tell Elise to stay with Lazlo, will I see her around town later in the game or does she vanish? I kind of want to marry her, but I'm not ready for a wife yet! lol (My quitting point for tonight was right before I have to make the decision so that I can sleep on it.... These decisions really weigh on me! Part of the reason I love the game so much!)

I think she vanishes, I did that quest, made the decision but never saw her around later. Then again, I haven't spent much time in the town other than doing couple other quests.

jred2k said:

You can use the world map thingy, just find the main quest, and set it to the active quest. You can still accomplish the side quests if you've accepted them.

Reaver is singlehandedly the most annoying character in this game. The fact that I can't put a sword through his head the moment I become King irks me to no end.

So I finally found my villager I created- what a waste of time that was.. Anyone who didn't get a chance to use the villager maker, you didn't miss a thing.

My biggest gripes:
- the dogs AI is still terrible, it's almost a chore trying to find the dig spot he sees.
- the quest trail is completely ridiculous, it freaks out at every direction if you aren't facing the right way.
- interacting with others is better IMO but having to go to another screen doesn't transition well.
- major major slowdown, the framerate just drops like crazy randomly.

Also, where is the sanctuary shop? Jasper keeps reminding me and I have no idea where it is.

Tubobutts

Square Triangle said:
So I finally found my villager I created- what a waste of time that was.. Anyone who didn't get a chance to use the villager maker, you didn't miss a thing.

My biggest gripes:
- the dogs AI is still terrible, it's almost a chore trying to find the dig spot he sees.
- the quest trail is completely ridiculous, it freaks out at every direction if you aren't facing the right way.
- interacting with others is better IMO but having to go to another screen doesn't transition well.
- major major slowdown, the framerate just drops like crazy randomly.

Also, where is the sanctuary shop? Jasper keeps reminding me and I have no idea where it is.

It's in the Xbox Live room on the wall.

Mastperf

I'm really missing Fable 2's lighting. The outdoor lighting was so bright and beautiful. Bowerstone market is the best place to see just how downgraded it is. It makes everything seem so much flatter.

glaurung

So anybody who has played the game for some time:

Is the weapon development in there or not? I mean the weapon development that was discussed somewhere around E3. It was partly something about the weapon changing appearance and stats when used in some way, there was also supposed to be some kind of weapon fusing etc.

Anyone care to comment or was that yet another of Molyneux's stupid lies.

Zeal

Banned
Mastperf said:
I'm really missing Fable 2's lighting. The outdoor lighting was so bright and beautiful. Bowerstone market is the best place to see just how downgraded it is. It makes everything seem so much flatter.

although the tone of the game is much darker and the lighting adjusted to reflect that fact, i agree.

I'm about 8-12 hours into the game.

I like it, especially since I enjoy the Fable atmosphere.

That said, the combat in this game is even easier than in previous games (if that was possible). They've simplified just a little too much in this game. Using a certain magic combination, I basically have no fear of anything including Balverines, which used to scare the shit out of me when they showed up.

Also, I wish there was more info when you buy properties like in Fable II.

And lastly, is there a way to toggle the different expressions you can do to NPCs? I like the new animations a lot, but I really *don't like* not being able to choose the expression. I don't always want to dance with every guy I see on the street. I just want to give them a hand-shake. I'm really disappointed that they made the interactions with the NPCs much more rigid this game. I was really enjoying the interactions with the NPCs in Fable III initially but then once I got expression upgrades and couldn't choose the ones I wanted, it became uninteresting and I couldn't role-play the way I wanted.

But please tell me there's some hidden way to toggle expressions with NPCs.

glaurung said:
So anybody who has played the game for some time:

Is the weapon development in there or not? I mean the weapon development that was discussed somewhere around E3. It was partly something about the weapon changing appearance and stats when used in some way, there was also supposed to be some kind of weapon fusing etc.

Anyone care to comment or was that yet another of Molyneux's stupid lies.

When I upgraded my Melee, I think the weapon changed the way it looks. My buddy who was playing Co-Op with me said that my sword changed.

I do know that some of the weapons have challenges that you will have to complete, you get rewards for those challenges, however they are not easy to get done.

So may be you will have to do those as well?

Seriously, I'm surprised there isn't more of an outcry over the lack of expression wheel or proper replacement. Dancing with a guard is hilarious at first, but it gets old very fast. I also don't want to dance with every woman I see. I want to choose how I interact with these people. The women also get far too clingy way too fast. After just 2-3 expressions, they're already hounding me for Date Quests and there's no way to get them to stop (unless you kill them).

The Fable II NPC system was FAR superior. You had complete freedom to choose whatever expression you wanted and the women/men NPCs wouldn't really get interested in you unless you matched your expression with their likes. In Fable III, it seems the NPC info popup is completely irrelevant because whether they're straight, gay, aggressive, calm, flirty, or whatever, they pretty much all respond to you in the same way.

I really don't understand why Lionhead would take a giant leap backwards with the NPCs like this. The writing and the voice acting are top-notch, so it's a shame they butchered the NPC system, which was one of my favorite things about the Fable series.

So is there no Axe weapon in this game? I loved the cleaver type axe you could get in the last game. Also, no more sword spell? I haven't unlock the last spell gauntlet, but the first three seem element based. Though the ice spell is a very cool animation, I will miss the sword spell.

IZZO

Neo Member
E-Mercenary said:
So is there no Axe weapon in this game? I loved the cleaver type axe you could get in the last game. Also, no more sword spell? I haven't unlock the last spell gauntlet, but the first three seem element based. Though the ice spell is a very cool animation, I will miss the sword spell.
There are axes in the game. They just put them in the same group as hammers. In fact you get one when you download the free weapons DLC.

While I don't have the sword spell yet, I saw an enemy use it against me once. So I think you unlock it later.

E-Mercenary said:
The sword spell is definitely there, Brad showed it during the quick look on Giant Bomb.

IZZO said:
There are axes in the game. They just put them in the same group as hammers. In fact you get one when you download the free weapons DLC.

While I don't have the sword spell yet, I saw an enemy use it against me once. So I think you unlock it later.

Ah this is very good news. Still not sure where the axe will show up in my armory, but I will start looking for one in the real world. I also sill don't understand the need to buy weapons if mine automatically upgrade.

SpokkX

The Chosen One said:
That said, the combat in this game is even easier than in previous games (if that was possible).
:lol

Fable 2 had the easiest fighting I have ever experienced and it bothered me quite a bit since that was a big part of the game. I can´t understand why they would build a battlesystem with lots of moves, blocks etc and then just make it stupidly easy? This is a GAME after all. When i play I want to be at least somewhat challenged. At least give me a higher difficulity?!

I have always bought Molyneux games before (mostly because of old credits since I loved Dungeon Keeper, Popoluos 2 and even Bland & White) but this time the blabbermouth has gone to far. I fear he is out of touch with what game design is today. I will not buy this game on old credits

SpokkX said:
:lol

Fable 2 had the easiest fighting I have ever experienced and it bothered me quite a bit since that was a big part of the game. I can´t understand why they would build a battlesystem with lots of moves, blocks etc and then just make it stupidly easy? This is a GAME after all. When i play I want to be at least somewhat challenged. At least give me a higher difficulity?!

I don't want to slag off the game too much because I am enjoying it. But overall it is a step back from Fable II. Everything has been over-simplified.

Yeah the death penalty is non-existent. If you somehow manage to die, you just lose progress on the current guild seal you're building up. You can overcome this simply by talking to a new NPC or battling a few more enemies. They should have made you lose 10-20 guild seals or something. That would have at least made you a little nervous about dying. As it is now the death penalty is so negligible, there's little need to stock up on potions.

But if you treat Fable as an interactive story rather than an actual action/rpg game, then you'll be much happier. You basically watch the story unfold and make some choices along the way. But as I mentioned in my previous post, it's a shame they yanked out many of the choices you could make from Fable II. Makes the game feel much more linear.

EDIT: That Tom Chick review is spot on.

SpokkX

To me it seems Molyneux really wants to reach the casuals. However the setting is wrong as is the gameplay type so instead he just dumbs it down... to the point where it becomes an ordinary rpg that is just idiotically easy and has very light rpg elements.

Imo casual != easy.

Look at Nintendo. New Super Mario Wii is not easy, it is simple to pick up hence the casuals like it. The enjoyment still comes from challange just as it does in hardcore games imo

JaggedSac

Damn it the frame rate on the jobs really ticks me off.

Other than that, having a ball with the game.

Anyone know what exactly triggers your hero weapons to change?

I have to agree with people complaining about combat, I think it'd be nice to see some more unique attacks added to the game. I've done some really killer moves, like the knee neck break, and the sword through, but it'd be nice to see those trigger with a combat meter or something.

rezuth

Wait, this game is out? I have seen no ads for it at all. I thought it was a christmas release. Is it worth picking up? I always felt like I enjoyed the Fable games until the very end where it always felt like it cheated me out of a real ending and ruined the whole experience for me. I just can't seem to pick it up after finishing the main story.

The gameplay itself presents no such tough choices. It's almost on a rail. ... A lot of Fable III is running back and forth through loading screens. You know the typical FedEx routine. Everyone has something he wants delivered.

The streamlined gameplay is a really odd choice. If there’s one game that didn’t really need any streamlining, it was Fable II. Leveling up, social interaction, and sometimes even combat are just formalities now. There was some joy in stringing together and managing various social options in Fable II, but that’s gone. Now you simply hold a button and wait for an animation to finish. An animation you’ll sit through a hundred times. It doesn’t matter whether it makes any sense. ... You get the sense that Fable includes homosexual relationships not because it’s trying to make a bold social statement, but because Lionhead couldn’t be bothered with a social system that acknowledges gender in any meaningful way.

Fable III’s “Road to Rule” leveling system is similarly disappointing for how little it’s fleshed out. It’s another example of how sometimes less is less. ... Many of the upgrades don’t matter one whit and are priced accordingly. Why are they even part of the upgrade system? To keep it from being as empty as it actually is?

Then there’s the combat, which has been distilled down from button mashing to idiot-proof button mashing. The meager spells are mostly interchangeable. The previous game’s slow-mo and summon undead spells have been demoted to potions, which means you’ll probably never use them because you’re hoarding potions for the tough boss fight that never comes. Food and drink are nearly streamlined out of the game entirely, along with the cute concept of your character getting fat. Your dog is little more than an alert system for treasure. Sometimes you lose more than complexity when you simplify a game. Sometimes you lose personality.

Perhaps the worst bit of streamlining isn't even streamlining. The menus have been replaced with a Tardis style sanctuary manned by John Cleese. This might seem like a nifty feature at first, but Fable III gains absolutely nothing from it. I just want to check how many more hobbes I have to kill to level up my pistol. Why do I have to go through so many stages to walk into the proper room and then cycle to the correct weapon display and then press two buttons? What if I just want to change my hat or use a different spell? Why do I need to muck around in an elaborately rendered extra-dimension pocket? What’s the point of forcing me through so many steps? How can I check how many potions I have? And what does Fable III gain by requiring two button presses and a short walk to check the map, which is only marginally more useful than Fable II’s horrible maps? Since when were actual information screens such a problem? Instead of improving Fable II’s interface, Lionhead just decided to take it out entirely and present a whole new pain in the neck.

How does this end up with a B-?

Salz01

So I play the game, run around and do quests, then all of a sudden my screen gets these green interlacing lines on my screen. I freak out, quit the game, and its still on my xbox dashboard. Then I power off boot back up, seems normal, play RDR have no problem. Insert Fable 3, play a bit, and then get green interlacing lines when I port to Sanctuary. Turn the system off, wait a few mins put it back on. Red ring of death, and I get a black screen with all languages saying to call Microsoft.

I can only wonder to think if this game has caused my xbox to crash with all these weird bugs being reported. Second time my Xbox has died.

Hixx

Trying to save a custom costume just completely fucked my game up, everything in the room despawned, got trapped in the room. Can't even back out to the main sanctuary room or to the game world. Going to make our tea now but if its saved like that it will have wasted my afternoon.

Amazing how many games are released blatantly unfinished these days.

FrankT

Gnomes in this game are hilarious. Love some Flute Hero too. Heck just been burning time in Brightwall forever. I'll put some serious hours into this game.

TommyT

Jtyettis said:
Gnomes in this game are hilarious. Love some Flute Hero too. Heck just been burning time in Brightwall forever. I'll put some serious hours into this game.

What's the income like from lute hero and blacksmith? Seems pie making is like beer in that you can just keep racking up money pretty fast. Granted, I haven't played either of the other income mini-games yet which is why I ask.

Saw this on gamefaqs... a 'glitch' to dupe:

There's a quick, easy glitch that allows you to dupe gold or anything else. You just need a 2nd controller with a 2nd character logged into your game. Then use player 1 to "gift" player 2 whatever you want to dupe, then leave player 1's sanctuary. Have player 2 go into his sanctuary and find the gift. Now have him reject the gift to send it back to player 1. Immediately have player 2 leave his sanctuary then immediately drop him from the game. Now player 1 has a rejected gift in his sanctuary and player 2 will not be saved, meaning when you reload him, he will also have a gift the game didn't save as being rejected. Dupe! You can dupe up to 100k gold at a time using this.

Not that money is hard to come by... and doesn't seem like anything really NEEDS to be duped in the game.

edit: pun wasn't intended :(

TommyT

Also, I keep reading that you do and don't accumulate gold during the day while the system is off. Can anyone confirm it one way or the other?

Prine

Banned
Upset and slightly annoyed at Lionhead removing the challenge from combat. Such a move not only dampens the joy of the game but it could potentially discourage people from other, genuinely decent moments. Fable 2 was far too easy, AC2 was far too easy, Enslaved is bloody easy (combat can be challenging at times) but its a worrying trend. Please provide an option.

Looks like i should look to Vanquish to challenge myself (still need to buy it).

Erekiddo

I'm sure it's been said several times over, but the lack of a traditional menu is something I gotta get used to. I still haven't been able to figure out:

- How to check inventory for non weapons/clothes. (Such as potions, collectables, and such)
- How to keep track of the hidden books I've found.

:(

Dechaios said:
It's gone in a second and doesn't affect the gameplay at all.. what's so annoying about it? I like to see how far I am compared to my friends!

I wish the pop up stayed longer. Never have enough time to read it.

Blueblur1

In the beginning of the game, you only get to choose one of two outfits. Anyone know if the opposite outfit becomes available later in the game?

After installing the game, some of the flickering and texture pop-in I was experiencing was alleviated. I'm usually pretty immune to noticing such things but it was really jarring in Fable 3, for met at least. I had a much better time playing it last night.

I'm still working my way down the Road to Rule, but I wanted to give Lionhead props on some of the changes in Fable 3:

* Spellweaving. Awesome, just awesome. Being able to mix two spell effects together, along with the way powering up your spells gets quicker as you progress in magic level turns what used to be OK in previous Fables to something powerful and fun in F3. Because of these changes its more fun to rely upon magic as your primary combat style, but its also easier to sprinkle it into the mix with the melee and ranged.

* Slow Time and Summon being potions instead of spells. Good call. Slow Time was Fable's easy-button (and still is to a degree) and having it limited by inventory is nice way to keep it's use more focused. And maybe its just me but Summon Creatures seems a lot more useful this time around. Very helpful against bosses that spawn minions at you, to keep the crowd occupied.

* The Sanctuary. I know this is something people either love or loathe, or maybe just find annoying, but I like it. Seeing your achievements on the wall, your pile of gold and treasure, your weapons and clothes laid out, your promises framed on the wall, all of this works to keep you in the game and add some visual flair to what would normally be menu options. The fact that there's no noticeable load between entering and exiting it surprises the hell out of me. That must have taken some work to nail down. It takes some getting used to (there's no pause? how do I leave the game? Is it safe?) but it also oozes Fable personality. Its unique, love it or hate it.

Dineren

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
In the beginning of the game, you only get to choose one of two outfits. Anyone know if the opposite outfit becomes available later in the game?

Yes, you can purchase it later in the game.

Top Bottom