• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

fernoca

Skirn said:
It WAS an actual Villager Maker code... in disguise! It worked. :lol
;)
Contact the store anyway regarding the weapon code.

GillianSeed79 said:
Is it me or is the lighting in this game nonexistent? I usually don't get hung up on technical stuff like this, but everything seems so washed out and a little World of Warcrafty if you know what I mean.
Lighting is there and quite nice too. Go to "the library" in Brightwall inside as an example. Or run around Millfield too. Is less "exagerated" and less "bloomy" than the one in Fable II.
There are better examples, but that may fall under spoiler territory.

Do you guys think we'll be able to get download the preorder bonuses in the future? I didn't preorder at Best Buy- so I wasnt able to get Garths sword/tattoo set.

Also, to anyone who has the Garth sword, is it any special? Powerful?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
maybe but most of the preorder bullshit sounds useless.

they might as well throw ALL of it in a pack in sell it for like 160 msp

New quests should be priority

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What names have you guys given to your weapons?

Just got my sword, named it "The Divider" since thats what badasses do with swords.

fernoca

Snuggler said:

Just got my sword, named it "The Divider" since thats what badasses do with swords.
Random names while I thing for better ones. :p
With the good guy, I called the sword 'Vain' and with the newly evil gal, I called her sword 'Vleed'.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
fernoca said:
:lol :lol
Sounds tempting. Depending on who would you prefer a gay King or an evil Queen? :p

I'm playing female so I don't think an evil queen will work but your gay king can probably shoot one in if he tries

STD free, I hope. I'm staying clean.

fernoca

Snuggler said:
I'm playing female so I don't think an evil queen will work but your gay king can probably shoot one in if he tries

STD free, I hope. I'm staying clean.
:lol :lol
Sorry to disappoint you then, but my husband gave me an STD. Freaking village maker came (no pun intended :p) with a bonus. :lol :lol

It took me by surprise.
I was waiting in one of the loadscreen, after sex and out of nowhere I see 'STD: 1' and was like "WAT?! THAT WHORE!!". Just when I ran out of condoms. :lol

No wonder he's never around the castle with the 2 adopted kids.

Female is STD free, since she's a virgin. :p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just named my rifle "The Decider" - naming weapons is cool

but just so y'all know I still need an online sex partner but I need a male who is without STD and who has the proper gifts to woo me

Fletcher

A question for people who have finished:

So I have finished the main quest
and was not ready for that 120+ day jump. Didn't have my money in order and yadda yadda yadda everyone died, apparently. I was a good king. Kept all my promises. But everyone died. Ok fine. So the game is over and I'm running around and there is literally nobody in the game. All shops and homes are vacant, but I can still do quests. Is this a glitch? Are there supposed to be people or is my game ruined? And it's funny that there are no people in my world, but I'm still making rent and the shops are giving me money. haha

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
is it just me or is Theresa

2e2nt.jpg

the exact same character as Kreia

O764r.jpg

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I just bought this. Can't play it yet, have to wait until tonight (my daughter's birthday and all that). Fable II is maybe my favourite X360 game, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
StarEye said:
I just bought this. Can't play it yet, have to wait until tonight (my daughter's birthday and all that). Fable II is maybe my favourite X360 game, so I'm really looking forward to this.
fuck yeah Fable II is awesome, you'll like this one

StarEye said:

Not trying to be a party killer here, but I also liked Fable II very much, yet I am considering selling this game after 3 hours with it.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
There will always be someone who doesn't enjoy a game that others do. Let's just hope that I'm not one of them (it's my first full-price game in a loooooong time). ;)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
CecilRousso said:
Not trying to be a party killer here, but I also liked Fable II very much, yet I am considering selling this game after 3 hours with it.
3 hours?

You probably haven't even finished the tutorial yet.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
StarEye said:
There will always be someone who doesn't enjoy a game that others do. Let's just hope that I'm not one of them (it's my first full-price game in a loooooong time). ;)

well if you like Fable 2 that much, I would anticipate that you will enjoy this very much as well

I loved the first two Fables and this feels just right so far, there are some questionable design decisions but overall it's an improvement. The only bummer so far is that the conversation wheel was ditched in favor of a system that is wayyyy over simplified but if you like Fable, you'll love this game I think.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
CecilRousso said:
I reached Mourningwood.

Haven't got there yet, but you're not the only one who feels that way.

So do you think this is a lesser game compared to Fable II? I'm actually asking for your opinions, not trying to challenge you or whatev.

Snuggler said:

Just got my sword, named it "The Divider" since that's what badasses do with swords.
I'm so damn goodness and righteousness that its not even funny. But I do wield one major fucking hammer of judicious ultra violence named "The Other Cheek" that I never leave the castle without. Who says justice is painless?

Guaranteed, you let me name something, I sure as hell will.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've avoided the hammer because I heard it makes your player buff and I don't want to deal with another muscle lady, it looks so weird

swords and rifles and I'm set

Snuggler said:
Haven't got there yet, but you're not the only one who feels that way.

So do you think this is a lesser game compared to Fable II? I'm actually asking for your opinions, not trying to challenge you or whatev.

Yes, I think that. Because of 3 things.

1. The lack of any real challenge and punishment for getting knocked out in battles. You loose your guild seals yes. But I still have managed to unlock all available chests in the Road to Rule.
2. And since I can unlock everything there, there isn´t any proper character development. You can upgrade your weapons bu using them, yes. But since the battles doesn´t seem to offer any challenge, why bother?
3. So far, there hasn´t been any choice in the missions that seem to have any kind of consquence.

And there are so many other strange design choices.
*Why does everyone, including male adults, agree to hold my hand and follow me whenever I want?
*Why do I gain a follower by insulting him?
*Why isn´t there a proper inventory system?
*Seriously, why is there so much focus on my character working as a pie maker?
*And why are both that chore and the lute playing just worthless quick time events based on two buttons?

CecilRousso said:
As someone who has given this game a lot of shit, and who had my original expectations dashed, let me at least tell you that it does get better. In some ways, much, much better.

This game needs a patch, like fucking yesterday, but the premise seems sound so far. By the time you find your way to rule, you'll have a different perspective on the game and what it has to offer. That's how its been for me anyhow.

CecilRousso said:
*And why are both that chore and the lute playing just worthless quick time events based on two buttons?
A true missed opportunity here for sure. I remember playing Fable 2 and digging the little woodchopping mini-game. That is, until I saw the beer pouring and blacksmith minigames that used the exact same mechanic. Same thing with Fable 3. Once I saw the lute hero system I thought Lionhead finally saw the light, but it turns out blacksmithing and pie making just use the same lute hero mechanic. Its too bad. All they needed to do was mix up the systems used and they would have had a much better jobs experience. Of course, for both games they have to nail the framerate for any of it to work out right in the first place.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
All valid points, Cecil.

I don't disagree with the lack of challenge being an issue, but what you described is (supposedly*) the same in Fable 2.

* I never died in combat in 2 but I heard that's how it works

So far, the character development is my big issue. It is a serious bummer that I can't develop unique characters based on melee/ranged/magic, it's all now lumped into one category. Even if you're trying to make baby's first RPG, you should still let players build their own characters instead of forcing them to go down the same path. It doesn't matter what attack you use, it's all the same. I was always a ranged guy in Fable, but I could use melee 99% of the time and still end up with the same ranged skill level. Fuck that.

I'm also bummed that they ditched the expression system in favor of...I'm not sure what we have now. I was at the poor people winter camp and I could just shake hands and belch at people. How is that an improvement? That Fable II fart 4 love system was kinda 'tarded but this is no improvement.

everything else is enchantingly great but there are some so blatantly bone headed decisions that it drives me crazy, it's like they're holding back the series in some hopes of selling it as fools gold for ree-ree's who don't understand RPG's (or anything for that matter).

oh well, it's still fun. For the record, I'm having a great time with the game but all the above stuff just bums me out since it holds the game back from being achieving the greatness it's capable of.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
CecilRousso said:
Yes, I think that. Because of 3 things.

1. The lack of any real challenge and punishment for getting knocked out in battles. You loose your guild seals yes. But I still have managed to unlock all available chests in the Road to Rule.
2. And since I can unlock everything there, there isn´t any proper character development. You can upgrade your weapons bu using them, yes. But since the battles doesn´t seem to offer any challenge, why bother?
3. So far, there hasn´t been any choice in the missions that seem to have any kind of consquence.

And there are so many other strange design choices.
*Why does everyone, including male adults, agree to hold my hand and follow me whenever I want?
*Why do I gain a follower by insulting him?
*Why isn´t there a proper inventory system?
*Seriously, why is there so much focus on my character working as a pie maker?

Just about all of that can be put against Fable 2, though. Fable 2 was not challenging at all. You could max out everything easy. There isn't a proper inventory system here, but F2's inventory system was horribly slow and not much better.

I'm not even trying to defend the game hardcore so much. I'm sure the thread regulars will tell you I haven't been in here at all and I've only played about 3 hours myself but it has what made Fable 2 fun for me while adding a great co-op mode. My main complaint so far is that the character development/progression is almost non-existent. Then again the character progression isn't what made Fable 2 fun for me so it doesn't really bother me too much.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
JaxJag said:
My character is taller and bigger than everyone on my friends list.

So i'm happy with Fable 3...

Despite my criticism, I am too so far. It's still Fable, and I fuckin' love Fable. I've already topped most of the dudes on my friends list event thought it's my first time player.

this is probably nothing for most people but I was playing offline and you can still compete with XBL friends offline which is nice and unprecedented

_tetsuo_ said:
Just about all of that can be put against Fable 2, though.

Yes, it can. Well, not that Fable 2 lacked proper inventory system just because it was slow, because it was still there. But the other things yes. The problem is that it is driven too far in this. You did max out everything in Fable 2, but up until a certain point far in the game, it felt that you were making choices on which way to go. In Fable 3, you get everything from the beginning.

I think my frustration is that they aren´t building on the strength that Fable 1 had, but are instead trying to make a game for childs and the The Sims audience.

Fable 2 compromised on something but put you in situations were you felt you had to make meaningful descisions, and I just don´t see them so far in this game. And there more I read about the game, the less I got convinced that I will see any.

The impression I get now is that the game is not really a game about choices which Fable 1 and Fable 2 was, but a linear action game with funny quests. And that is not good enough for me.

This is a odd situation for me. Ever since Black&White1 I have been the one defending Peter Molyneux and his games on gaming forums. And now I´m the one on the other side, alone. :lol

Poona

cjelly said:
So where is my created Villager?

I'm assuming it is the same for all, but in my game they appeared in Brightwall, but only when Walter told me to go out and help some villagers to gain as followers. They were one of the villagers needing help.

Blueblur1

Poona said:
I'm assuming it is the same for all, but in my game they appeared in Brightwall, but only when Walter told me to go out and help some villagers to gain as followers. They were one of the villagers needing help.
Oh really. I'm gonna look around when I get home and play some more.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Poona said:
I was betting on some chicken races and he was stood next to me after.

Is there a point to the created villager? Seems pointless... Just another person to do dirty dancing with.

JayDubya

Banned
Snuggler said:
I've avoided the hammer because I heard it makes your player buff and I don't want to deal with another muscle lady, it looks so weird

swords and rifles and I'm set

I don't know enough about the levelling mechanics here... There's only three things you don't open up on the Road to Rule: Strength, Stature, and Magical Aura.

As far as I know, sword or hammer doesn't much matter for Strength levelling up. Use your sword a lot and Strength will increase; as Strength increases, your character will have more visible muscles.

If it's based on number of swings / number of hits, a sword would actually level your strength faster than the hammer. Hopefully it's based on damage done or kills or something, and it probably is.

In any event, I'm going hammer / pistol on my first Hero (although one may change to sword or rifle at any point), and I will say that it takes rather a lot of swings or rather a lot of shooting to level up Strength or Stature by one star. If you favor that rifle, what you're describing shouldn't be an issue.

cjelly said:
Is there a point to the created villager? Seems pointless... Just another person to do dirty dancing with.
They offer a new quest with a 1000 gold reward, other than that the character is basically just there to marry.

Mastperf

Snuggler said:
is it just me or is Theresa

2e2nt.jpg

the exact same character as Kreia

O764r.jpg
I mentioned this in another forum and kinda got people pissed at me. Here's what I posted.
Yep, and it only took 4 years to completely destroy most of what made Fable 1 special with Fable 2. They destroy the Guild, get rid of almost all Heroes and destroy Oakvale. The feeling of belonging to something important was awesome and one of the main things 2 lacked. I did enjoy the story the first time I played it.....In Knights Of The Old Republic 2. Seriously, compare the 2. The Jedi Academy destroyed - Heroes Guild destroyed. The Jedi Hunted and killed - The Heroes hunted and killed. A blind old lady guiding you in both games who also gives you a chance to know the future at the end of Knights 2 and See The Future. Combine this with a completely unnecessary 500 year jump into the future that gave nothing more than pistols and rifles and you've left with an irreparably damaged story that has lost all of the magic of the original. I wouldn't be surprised if magic was the next thing they destroyed.
I only rant because Fable is my favorite franchise by far and it saddens me to see it handled so carelessly.

Top Bottom