• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ok, not long until I can unwrap my game now. So to prepare myself before I play - install to harddrive or not? Anyone found out the benefits of doing it? I know Fable II benefitted greatly from it (menus were a lot more responsive, loading was faster, silence).

Hixx

Any word on a patch? The bugs are annoying as fuck.

In 12 hours:

- Trapped inside the dressing room in the Sanctuary
- Walter and the dog bugging out in Bowerstone Industrial after a cutscene, halting the game until a reboot
- Jasper becoming a mute
- Important UI elements disappearing until reboot. The only thing that showed up was the 'A' button prompt

Not to mention the mini-games being broken due to technical issues (how does this shit get passed at QA?)

When the game works its brilliant but wow, my experience is being completely soured by the bugs and technical problems the game has. Still on the very first part of being the Queen and I'll finish it before a patch does hopefully come out but think I'll wait for the second, evil runthrough until a patch comes.

Really, really frustrated...

Fewr

International GAF:
I bought the game, haven't opened it. Box is in spanish, are the voices in spanish as well? If so, can I download the audio in English like last time? How big is the file?
Thanks,

fernoca

Confidence Man said:
How about after this they do a reboot and go back to the open world you see in some of these clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiw9GMWShbc

If Spiderman can reboot after three installments so can Fable!
Technically there's nothing on that video that looks "that big" or "open world" that isn't already in Fable III. Though the areas are still divided and many would like it to be like there all the time.

If anything, what would be cool (and promised on the first game) was a constantly evolving, realtime open world. Like the whole "plating a tree" thing, or destroying an area and it stays detroyed, etc. Though for a story based game is probably too ambitious but not impossible.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I dug into the game last night and thought it was pretty good fun. The opening choice was very interesting (picked the dark option) but I've kind of noticed in the amount I've played that morality doesn't really mean much.
Just reached Bowerstone sewers.
Since you're trying to impress your future subjects there are no evil quest endings and that really sucks (I did help the lost child though :D). In short, being a prince is bad for a game about moral choices but the combat is still a blast.

Laughed out loud a few times as well!
Gnomes are great.
I think I'll visit yours for tea. I'll do your mum!
I specifically instructed you to remain buried!

Oh and the game loves to hard crash when I switch between the Road to Rule and Albion, installed.

Aaah!! I think my Jasper broke... right before I got weapons. Now I'm stuck staring at the blue orb, hopelessly throwing fireballs at it.

Do I need to restart? This really sucks, talk about a waste of 2 or 3 hours. :(

fernoca

Revengeance said:
Aaah!! I think my Jasper broke... right before I got weapons. Now I'm stuck staring at the blue orb, hopelessly throwing fireballs at it.

Do I need to restart? This really sucks, talk about a waste of 2 or 3 hours. :(
What happened? can't access the sanctuary?
Quit and load the game again just in case.
Clear the cache of the Xbox if needed.

Raide

Confidence Man said:
How about after this they do a reboot and go back to the open world you see in some of these clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiw9GMWShbc

If Spiderman can reboot after three installments so can Fable!

I wish they would just made more of the physical character changes that happen due to your environment/what weapons you do etc. I actually miss all the Use Weapons = Get Buff. I think they have spent way too much time on the dog and the actual player is being left out.

I am all for Fable 4 but ain't it time for them to announce Fable Online? :lol

fernoca

The Chef said:
In fable II after a couple hours money was never a problem. Is it more difficult to get a billion dollars in this one?
Tricks and cheats aside, it's more difficult if you try to be a good guy. :p

Raide said:
I actually miss all the Use Weapons = Get Buff. I think they have spent way too much time on the dog and the actual player is being left out.
That's still in Fable III, though more subtle.
  • Scars = Die a lot
  • Fat = Eat a lot of pies, drink beer
  • Skinny =Eat a lot of celery, carrots, drin kapple juice
  • Buff = Use the hammers a lot (max them out too)
  • Tall = Use ranged weapons a lot (max them out too)
  • Speed = Use swords a lot (max them out too)
  • Glow in the dark tattooes (depending on if you use tattooes) = Use will powers a lot (max them out too) [red glow = evil, light blue glow = good]
In some aspects is better, like the glowing lines. In the previous games if you used will a lot, your character was stuck with the shiny lines even if you didn't liked them.

Now, the lines only appear if you use (max) powers (i.e. holding down a botton).
And if you want similar (eternal) lines, you just get a tattoo of your choice and it glows.

fernoca said:
What happened? can't access the sanctuary?
Quit and load the game again just in case.
Clear the cache of the Xbox if needed.

Did all of that. Jasper still broken.

Fuck.

God I hate starting games over. Screw it, I'm going back to Starcraft.

fernoca said:
Tricks and cheats aside, it's more difficult if you try to be a good guy. :p

That's still in Fable III, though more subtle.
  • Scars = Die a lot
  • Fat = Eat a lot of pies, drink beer
  • Skinny =Eat a lot of celery, carrots, drin kapple juice
  • Buff = Use the hammers a lot (max them out too)
  • Tall = Use ranged weapons a lot (max them out too)
  • Speed = Use swords a lot (max them out too)
  • Glow in the dark tattooes (depending on if you use tattooes) = Use will powers a lot (max them out too) [red glow = evil, light blue glow = good]
In some aspects is better, like the glowing lines. In the previous games if you used will a lot, your character was stuck with the shiny lines even if you didn't liked them.

Now, the lines only appear if you use (max) powers (i.e. holding down a botton).
And if you want similar (eternal) lines, you just get a tattoo of your choice and it glows.

Also, you get extremely pale if you max out magic. I focused mainly on magic in my game and now I'm pale as a ghost :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
man, I wish I wasn't at work all day : (

I've hardly been able to play this, I won't get another good go at it until Tuesday

Raide

What do people think about the change from getting XP orbs based upon what skills you used, to kill anyway and get universal XP?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Raide said:
What do people think about the change from getting XP orbs based upon what skills you used, to kill anyway and get universal XP?

Strongly against.

I like to create unique characters. I'd like my first character to focus on ranged combat, then maybe the second time through I can play the game differently by focusing on magic. Universal XP means that your character will play the same no matter what, that the end result will be identical in every playthrough (aside from morality and stuff) and I think that's a step back for the series.

fernoca

Snuggler said:
Strongly against.

I like to create unique characters. I'd like my first character to focus on ranged combat, then maybe the second time through I can play the game differently by focusing on magic. Universal XP means that your character will play the same no matter what, that the end result will be identical in every playthrough (aside from morality and stuff) and I think that's a step back for the series.
Though in some way still the same.
If you want to focus on ranged combat, just not open the other chests. :p
In Fable II if you didn't used the sword, you got yellow experience to upgrade/max ranged weapons; therefore not upgrading the other two.
Here you get general and choose what to upgrade; though with less options, but still have the same effect.

Any case, quick pics of the glowing tattoo in the face:
2m6lvr4.jpg

And comparing my maxed out good guy, with the starting guy (both naked :p)
2v83879.jpg

(Muscles are more subtle, but at least you don't end looking like some freak which was kinda weird in the previous games, but cool anyway. The guy in here can end being good looking even after all upgrades)

fernoca

cjelly said:
That face tattoo is badass.
Highlander tatoo, by the way.

OMG! :lol
I just went to Reaver's
bedroom! / quest.
Is like a torture chamber with a bed in the center, and the only items in there are condoms. There's also a jail with a chicken on it and a bunny jumping around the room.
:lol

EDIT:
By the way, fetch (with the dog) does work
You have to hold down the botton to throw the ball.
Your character will throw the ball and it will cut back to gameplay.
The dog is going to get all happy and run around to look for the ball and if it fell in an area that the dog can actually reach, he will pick the ball and bring it back to you.

Regarding the morphing, can you still end up with pale white/grey skin and red eyes ala. the Evil/Pure route in Fable II? I always found that to be the best look for evil characters.

fernoca

Azure Phoenix said:
Regarding the morphing, can you still end up with pale white/grey skin and red eyes ala. the Evil/Pure route in Fable II? I always found that to be the best look for evil characters.
Well, nnot as exagerated though. My evil character is barely starting and looks quite pale.
Though I'm relatively early with her, so no red tattooes yet (except when she performs magic) [more blurry pics incoming]

25aq3k3.jpg

(notice the red marks in the pants)

16htb81.jpg

(when I the tattoes start to glow I'll put one in the face and the one in the chest is going to glow too :))

In both cases (good and evil) eyes glow and wings appear when you max out your character, but only doing special (slow mo) moves, holding bottons to do power-attacks or as a gesture when talking to people)

fernoca

derFeef said:
I fail every time trying to make an evil character. My inner paragon is very strong.
Do what I did.
One playthrough as a uber good guy and now a second playthrough as an evil one. :p

EDIT:
Also suggestions to those having problems with the trail.
Threat it as a cheap GPS. Like if you turn around too much, it needs some time to re-calculate and trace the route. So stand still for a few secs, till it appears again.

fernoca said:
Well, nnot as exagerated though. My evil character is barely starting and looks quite pale.
If you max out good the character's skin color becomes extremely pale, even the lips lose color, pretty much white. There are also weird floral patterns around the eyes. I guess the skin color is supposed to not look human anymore.
fernoca said:
In both cases (good and evil) eyes glow and wings appear when you max out your character, but only doing special (slow mo) moves, holding bottons to do power-attacks or as a gesture when talking to people)
The wings only appear after a special story event. The tattoos start to glow based on the "Magical Aura" stat, which I think is a much better way to handle it than Fable 1/2 method of glowing squiggles all over the character. Yeah the red marks appear on clothes, the marks are specific to that piece of clothing, when you hold down the button for a power attack.

derFeef said:
I fail every time trying to make an evil character. My inner paragon is very strong.
Its actually really easy to max out the evil rank, just take money from the treasury. You get good/evil points. So dump like 10 million into the treasury and then take it all out, should max out your evil meter. Otherwise start a new game and have some fun, because it definitely seems like you can have way more fun if you are playing evil.

derFeef

Lostconfused said:
Its actually really easy to max out the evil rank, just take money from the treasury. You get good/evil points. So dump like 10 million into the treasury and then take it all out, should max out your evil meter. Otherwise start a new game and have some fun, because it definitely seems like you can have way more fun if you are playing evil.

It`s more because of the moral decisions. I still don´t have it, but I guess I´ll end up choosing the good stuff anyway, like I did in Mass Effect and so on. I just can`t be evil!

derFeef said:
It`s more because of the moral decisions. I still don´t have it, but I guess I´ll end up choosing the good stuff anyway, like I did in Mass Effect and so on. I just can`t be evil!
Nah I understand you, I am the same way. So yes pick all good if this is your first play through and thats the way you want to do it. Because the evil options in this game, are like hilariously comically twirl your mustache while putting a gun to a puppy's head evil. Otherwise you can just fart in people's faces and rob stores or something, which is probably kind of fun in a hooligan sort of way.

Edit: Might as well put a pic of my character. All stats maxed out, good.
2wdul9e.jpg

brobban

When we finally get a map in a Fable game, they make it crappy.
It doesnt show a proper representation, and there doesnt seem to be any way to see where you are on it.. It's just stupid.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Hmm I went with Evil bastard on my first playthrough, It is allot of fun and the evil options in quests are great.

I'll do a female Good playthrough next time, oh and I love the Orb system in this game, reminds me allot of Demon Souls ghosts.

HixxSAFC said:
Being good is so frustrating when you're in charge :lol Just going to have to see how it goes then :(
Unless you are the largest real estate owner in Albion. Then it becomes rather trivial. Expensive social policies? Not a problem for His/Her Royal Highness McMoneybags.

eshwaaz

All of the talk about the terrible bugginess of this game is really bumming me out. I thoroughly enjoyed Fable 1 and 2, but the sloppy, unfinished state of Fable 3 has kept me from a purchase. I hope some patches are incoming soon.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I heard you need a load of gold at the end of the game, how much we talking? Just did Reavers house party and I'm at about 4.5 mil owning everything I can (not all locations unlocked).

fernoca said:
Though in some way still the same.
If you want to focus on ranged combat, just not open the other chests. :p
In Fable II if you didn't used the sword, you got yellow experience to upgrade/max ranged weapons; therefore not upgrading the other two.
Here you get general and choose what to upgrade; though with less options, but still have the same effect.

Any case, quick pics of the glowing tattoo in the face:
2m6lvr4.jpg

And comparing my maxed out good guy, with the starting guy (both naked :p)
2v83879.jpg

(Muscles are more subtle, but at least you don't end looking like some freak which was kinda weird in the previous games, but cool anyway. The guy in here can end being good looking even after all upgrades)

Not sure how I did it, but all of my tattoos start glowing extremely bright when I charge up for a sword attack and it looks badass glowing through my clothes and whatnot.

hermit7

The game after becoming the King/Queen is so much worse than the start. The policies thing is somewhat interesting to start out, but I would rather just be free to prepare the kingdom as I wish rather than rely on arbitrary decisions

Warnen said:
I heard you need a load of gold at the end of the game, how much we talking? Just did Reavers house party and I'm at about 4.5 mil owning everything I can (not all locations unlocked).
At least 6.5 mil. 10 Million or more if you want to maintain your "good" morality
Mizzou Gaming said:
Not sure how I did it, but all of my tattoos start glowing extremely bright when I charge up for a sword attack and it looks badass glowing through my clothes and whatnot.
Your tattoos glow when you have a high magic aura rating from using magic attacks often enough.

fernoca

eshwaaz said:
All of the talk about the terrible bugginess of this game is really bumming me out. I thoroughly enjoyed Fable 1 and 2, but the sloppy, unfinished state of Fable 3 has kept me from a purchase. I hope some patches are incoming soon.
The game's a sloppy, buggy and glitched as the first two. Which means, some will get them, some won't.

I'm on my second playthrough and no problems of any kind at the moment. That doesn't mean that the problems aren't there and I'm kinda expecting at any moment to get one, but so far the overall experience has being smoother than I and II; even when I already loved both of those games too. (I still remember having to restart Fable I because of a glitch I got while beign a kid that he got stuck in a table and the game loaded inside the table too :p )

In any case, got the 4+1 Gold Keys and the 4 Gold Doors and the +1 Reward! :D
Now just need the remaning 25 silver keys. :( ...and 20 more gnomes and 10 more flowers. :lol

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Lostconfused said:
At least 6.5 mil. 10 Million or more if you want to maintain your "good" morality

Your tattoos glow when you have a high magic aura rating from using magic attacks often enough.

Thanks, gonna goof around lvling up weapons and gnome hunt till I get to that before I trigger next story part.

Loving this game. I get an odd fps slow down once and a while but no other bugs so far. Running it installed on the new xbox if that matters.

fernoca

By the way, the game has a health indicator.
I've seen a review and some people complaining about not knowing when their health is low, but when you're close to die aside the screen flashing red and the words at the top saying basically "you're injured heal yourself", the items/shortcut in the corner showing that you need to eat also starts glowing in red and stays like that until you're fully cured by either eating food or drinking potions if you're i na hurry, or just waiting.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Man I want this game but I'm just now getting into New Vegas. :lol Maybe Amazon will run some deals for thanksgiving.

Zeal

Banned
What's with all the dudes here at gaf playing female characters? Not only that, but every female that comes into my co-op is accompanied with a squeaky, male voice. I get a little weirded out.

Just saying.

FinFan

I got hit with the sanctuary bug. Once I go there I can't get out. Do I have to start a new character?

P.S. Fuck you Pete.

fernoca

Zeal said:
What's with all the dudes here at gaf playing female characters? Not only that, but every female that comes into my co-op is accompanied with a squeaky, male voice. I get a little weirded out.

Just saying.
My main is a male one, and gay too. :p
No squeky voice here. ;)
I chose a female the second time, since I was going to be evil; to make things more interesting. :p

eshwaaz said:
I have had quite a few bugs and freezes and in this very thread I was pretty down on this game but there is still that something that keeps me coming back for more. Here it is almost midnight on the east coast and I bet I won't even be able to put this game down until 3am. Damn you Fable!! I can't even tell you exactlly what you do right but it's there, there is something there.

PG2G said:
Ugh, I'm kind of pissed off that the point of no return kind of snuck up on me :/

Yeah, there's 0 warning.
It just skips from something like 129 days to 1 day. I expected a bit more in there considering there were at least 3 days covered in the 300s.

Top Bottom