• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

derFeef

The Chosen One said:
Btw, wasn't your save file from Fable II suppose to have some effect on Fable III? So far I've seen no indication of this. Did that feature get the axe?
People refer to the "King" or "Queen" depending on your characters gender in F2. At least that´s what I read somewhere.

fernoca

Well, back because: I finished the game (a few hours ago)
Now onto trying to get all the keys and gnomes and....darn I'll see. :lol

But overall, a great sequel, great improvement over Fable II in every possible way. Favorite Fable game at the moment. Loved seeing the old areas and how much they changed. Would've liked some more connections to the previous games, since what was shown were mostly teases . Maybe the DLC, other than the one that was"leaked" will handle some of this like
the Spire and how you can still see it in the horizon
from Fable II. And what happened to
Oakfield, since it kinda gave the impression that Oakfield/Temple of Light was just completely destroyed and you can see columns and areas similar to it, on Millfield; like the port and the big Oak tree
; but maybe I'm wrong and it was that it was similar.

Though the king aspect of the game was shorter than I expected, but nice. Probably because I spent the previous part of the game not buying anything and saving money. :lol

I enjoyed all the changes, liked how they made a few things more difficult but still quite simple (like gestures). Really liked the Sanctuary. Character not getting "disfigured" too. The lines/light in your body because of the use of Will, being changed to be in the clothes and in the skin but only if you have a tattoo was also a welcome change.

Adopted 2 children and put them in the castle, but they are with the nanny because daddy #1 is the king and has works to do and daddy #2 is a drunk and probably a whore too. Freaking husband is drunk all the time I visited him and even gave me an STD once. :(

Overall, maybe my experience may seem or was too positive. I had no problems with glitches, bugs or hard-locks. I think once the frame-rate dropped and that was in the end with the explosions and the enemies and stuff. So, maybe that also affected my positive attitude towards the game in general. (Was expecting any problem, at any time :p )

Do agree that the end is basically thrown at you at an unexpected moment. Like "we ran out of missions so here, finish the game". Came kinda unexpected, but at least I was ready. It was also way better than the previous two games' ending sequences. More dramatic and action oriented. So, save a lot of money!!! :lol

By the way the game has avatar awards (a full set of royal clothes/boot and a crown) and quite easy to obtain. You obtain them all before becoming a king, sorry if that's a spoiler. :p

fernoca

Zeal said:
Gotta say I loved the game overall, but there's a few big problems that definitely need to be addressed going into any future iterations. Below is a short list of my story related complaints. I'll get into the gameplay aspects a little later on. Tell me if you guys felt the same way. Wall of black bars incoming now:

- Let's get this right out of the way, and just like everyone else said -- ENDING!! What the FUCK. WAS. THAT. SHIT. It's like going 100mph and hitting a a damn brick wall out of nowhere. You're on day 121 or whatever and then BOOM, Theresa sucks you into a portal during a MID-SENTENCE conversation with your butler (yes, I admit, it did surprise the shit outta me), talkin' some crap about how it's basically now time for the final battle to take place. Wait, what? Didn't I have 120-somethin days left? Did anyone else feel shell-shocked? Just a big WTF outta nowhere. Oh, and my ultimate bitch of them all....Walter, the coolest character in the entire game (no debate), simply dies. Nein.

- Story complaint. The main villain of this game, The Creeper (lol), is virtually never explained and has zero ties or connections whatsoever with the previous games. What the hell is this stupid, dark, gooey shit dripping all over my screen?! Why the hell is it trying to talk like something out of The Call of Cthulhu, and what the shit did it just do to Walter's eyes?! Now I'm really pissed.

- Why the heck is the Spire, supposedly the deadliest, most powerful object in Fable's mythology not even addressed or seen? Well yeah, you can vaguely see it in the distance standing on the shore of Driftwood, but so what? It is not even an after thought. Also, is it just me or does Theresa -- practically one of Fable's most important characters and the only one that ties all the games together -- seem so disconnected and insignificant to the plot? Sure, she appears during the Road to Annoying Chests, but she treats the main character little more than another hero coming off the assembly. "Hey, sup, you're gonna save the world. You are Hero 752 and your call number is #8967286, please, have a seat and wait to be called." I dunno, it just seemed so manufactured this time around.

UPDATED:

- How come the previous heroes are not even referenced? I mean, I know 60 or so years have passed, but what the hell happened to Hammer, Garth and the previous Fable 2 heroes? Remember how you find out how the your sister from Fable 2 is actually alive? Yeah, where is she? Where the hell is the Shadow Court and how the hell is Reaver still alive? Uh, where is Bloodstone? I mean, there's way too many unanswered questions here. Someone educate me if I missed something.

- Where is Chesty? He was promised to return. I want my psychopathic, talking chest. And I'm sure he would give better items than 99% of the shitty chests you open up in Fable 3. It seems even the most well hidden chests give you a shitty health potion or another stupid highwayman outfit. UPDATE. Found him! Much happier now.

PS-- Reaver is hilarious. Someone you love to hate.

More to come.
You know, yep.
As much as loved the game, I did noticed those aspects of the story and disappointed me, mostly Theresa.
She's the sister of the hero from the first game and an important part of the story of that game too. Then she's your mentor/trainer in the second game and shown as omni-present and powerful. In here she's just a quick guide. Like "here, do this. Congratulations you're a hero, now go there. Awesome thanks for saving the world".

When The Crawler mentioned her, I was excited expecting some explanation on her part, possibly even tying it to the previous games. Instead all she says is basically "sorry I know all about it, he's going to destroy the world, and you have to save it! Bye!"

Regarding Reaver,
he's alive because of something that is explained in Fable II. Every now and then he sacrifices people in order to maintain his you hand live. And seeing how he's even more arrogant and selfish and powerful; it seems things are going nice for him. He has been doing it for over 100 years and you can see in this game he has no problem when it comes to sacrificing people or even children.

Also, the Channeler Sword (the preorder weapon given at Best Buy), it explains that it was created by
Garth during his later years. Hammer's weapon was another preorder bonus.
What happened, who knows. Maybe we'll get a new DLC with the region of
Samarkand, were he lives, maybe Hammer will be there too.

Another connection to Fable II is that in the 'See the Future' DLC, Theresa says
that "your child", will control the fate of Albion and Aurora.

Also, regarding Rose, the hero's sister from the first game
she's only resurrected if you choose to resurrect her in Fable II. And in that alternate reality, she's with Scythe.
But we don't know yet, which ending did Lionhead used for the basis of this game; but seeing how the hero
became a monarch and loved by people, it probably wasn't that ending but with the ending of people loving the hero and putting statues of him all over the place

I just got this today :lol

5125741318_fc7cf5fd83_z.jpg

Zeal

Banned
guys, i just found a horrible game ending bug that just hit my wife on her character and i would greatly appreciate anyone's help in a work around. this has happened to others apparently, too, after a little research.

quest is "crime & punishment", shortly after you become
king/queen
bugged. this is the quest where you must
go into the inn to shoot 4-5 bandits, but the bug creates only 1 bandit and the others do not spawn in the pub. upon killing that single bandit, the quest simply locks up, not allowing you to leave the pub and continue with the main story. this quest is storyline and not side quest.
. anyone experienced this and is there any known work around? thanks so much.

Mastperf

fernoca said:
You know, yep.
As much as loved the game, I did noticed those aspects of the story and disappointed me, mostly Theresa.
She's the sister of the hero from the first game and an important part of the story of that game too. Then she's your mentor/trainer in the second game and shown as omni-present and powerful. In here she's just a quick guide. Like "here, do this. Congratulations you're a hero, now go there. Awesome thanks for saving the world".

When The Crawler mentioned her, I was excited expecting some explanation on her part, possibly even tying it to the previous games. Instead all she says is basically "sorry I know all about it, he's going to destroy the world, and you have to save it! Bye!"

Regarding Reaver,
he's alive because of something that is explained in Fable II. Every now and then he sacrifices people in order to maintain his you hand live. And seeing how he's even more arrogant and selfish and powerful; it seems things are going nice for him. He has been doing it for over 100 years and you can see in this game he has no problem when it comes to sacrificing people or even children.

Also, the Channeler Sword (the preorder weapon given at Best Buy), it explains that it was created by
Garth during his later years. Hammer's weapon was another preorder bonus.
What happened, who knows. Maybe we'll get a new DLC with the region of
Samarkand, were he lives, maybe Hammer will be there too.

Another connection to Fable II is that in the 'See the Future' DLC, Theresa says
that "your child", will control the fate of Albion and Aurora.

Also, regarding Rose, the hero's sister from the first game
she's only resurrected if you choose to resurrect her in Fable II. And in that alternate reality, she's with Scythe.
But we don't know yet, which ending did Lionhead used for the basis of this game; but seeing how the hero
became a monarch and loved by people, it probably wasn't that ending but with the ending of people loving the hero and putting statues of him all over the place
Lionhead has done a piss poor job handling the Fable story from one game to the next. They can't even keep the story of what happened at the end of Fable 1 straight. In Fable 2 the book titled The Hero Of Oakvale reads: "This is one of the many books written about The Hero of Oakvale, who defeated the dreaded Jack of Blades. Though there are many conflicting reports regarding the Hero's life and his feats, all accounts agree that he wielded the legendary Sword of Aeons against Jack, and slew him twice: once in Jack's human state, and again in the form of a dragon." So the Hero from Fable 1 used the sword to kill Theresa and then went on to kill Jack with it? The Evil ending for Fable 1 claims Albion entered a period of darkness and despair if you decide to keep the sword but that clashes with the time of peace that is claimed to have happened that made Heroes unnecessary and caused the rebellion. It might not matter to some, but as a hardcore Fable fan it's extremely disappointing. Fable is all about the story and the world itself. If they can't keep it straight then what's the point?

The lack of any form of in game map is really grating on my nerves. Spent a 1/2 hr looking for the Hunter's Lodge in MistPeak as well as a missing NPC. I'm thinking I also encountered a bug for a delivery relationship quest. The quest tells me to deliver a package to a NPC in Mistpeak Valley but the breadcrumbs lead me to The Hole and theres no one around...what a waste of time

TommyT

razgriz417 said:
The lack of any form of in game map is really grating on my nerves. Spent a 1/2 hr looking for the Hunter's Lodge in MistPeak as well as a missing NPC. I'm thinking I also encountered a bug for a delivery relationship quest. The quest tells me to deliver a package to a NPC in Mistpeak Valley but the breadcrumbs lead me to The Hole and theres no one around...what a waste of time

You might not have your breadcrumb quest trail on the quest you're trying to do. In case you don't know how to set your current quest:

Press start
Walk to your map
Press A
Press Y

This will bring up the quest list and select which quest you want to do and your crumb trail SHOULD start leading you in the right direction. However, iirc, by taking a new quest in game this will make your crumb trail start pointing you to the quest just taken on. I would think this applies to plot events as well (should you encounter a plot event during the performance of a quest).

TommyT said:
You might not have your breadcrumb quest trail on the quest you're trying to do. In case you don't know how to set your current quest:

Press start
Walk to your map
Press A
Press Y

This will bring up the quest list and select which quest you want to do and your crumb trail SHOULD start leading you in the right direction. However, iirc, by taking a new quest in game this will make your crumb trail start pointing you to the quest just taken on. I would think this applies to plot events as well (should you encounter a plot event during the performance of a quest).

Na, I definitely did have it on the correct quest, checked that map in the sanctuary multiple times and the top of my screen even showed that I had to find the NPC, but the entirety of MistPeak was devoid of NPC, just wolves. Idk, ignoring it for now, it isn't a big issue, just trying to get friendly with towns people of Bowerstone Market

FrankT

sweetvar26 said:
I just got this today :lol

5125741318_fc7cf5fd83_z.jpg

:lol

It's funny I've already gotten 110k from random people in gifts. Always nice to go check to see what gifts I have next.

Plasma said:
Really enjoying this game so far but the Jasper not talking bug is kind of ruining the experience for me.

Got this last night too. It needs to be fixed ASAP.

A few hours into the game now and I'll go ahead and echo everyone's sentiments with my general impressions.

Pros
  • Still retains the charm and humor of the previous games
  • Love the sanctuary and the map table, makes buying real estate a piece of cake
  • Quests, while easy, are varied and interesting so far
Cons
  • Can be pretty crappy from a technical standpoint with the frame rate dropping like crazy
  • Combat is ridiculously easy presenting next to no challenge whatsoever
  • Not being able to cycle through expressions is pretty weak. "Conversing" with multiple NPCs in a row gets tedious very quickly

SPEA

I'm about 6-8 hours in. Really liking it so far. Lovvvvved the
D&D
quest. Sooooo funny. :lol :lol

Voice acting is top notch and I'm really digging the vibe. I also don't mind the Sanctuary nearly as much as I thought I would. The only time it bothers me is when I need to select an active quest, get quest info, etc. That should be in a separate menu all together. No bugs yet. *knock on wood

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I've reached te King stage of the game and I don't even feel like finishing it. =/ All of a sudden, it's unfun and I'm forced to undo the way I played the game in such a clumsy way.

It's like for every step forward Lionhead takes, they take two steps back.

Well, I´m not really convinced yet, after the first hour. I´ve only reached the first city, but I feel quite limited to what I can do there so far.

Gowans

Right picked this up today.

The Mrs is gona be hogging the 360 tonight for it.

What is this quest DLC for 400points and is it worth it?

The real downside so far for me is the complete lack of any challenge in the battles. Fable 1 hade some, Fable II was quite easy but this feels just ridiculous so far. Just mash the X-button until everyone are dead. Will get a bit harder later in the game?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Should I play Fable II first, or just skip it and go right into Fable III: More Blur Edition?

dralla

Kintaro said:
I've reached te King stage of the game and I don't even feel like finishing it. =/ All of a sudden, it's unfun and I'm forced to undo the way I played the game in such a clumsy way.

It's like for every step forward Lionhead takes, they take two steps back.
Once you get a break from all the decision making you can go back to playing it how you were, that's what I did. All of the decisions are so contrived and arbitrary in order to make them seem hard and meaningful. It's really annoying being presented 2 black and white choices when there are clearly better alternatives. Definitely the worst part of the game.

dralla

I don't think there is one. There is one of those special kill animations that is a counter, but i don't know if there is a counter mechanic.

JoeBoy101

Just rented this yesterday and gave it a quick couple of hours last night. Not too bad, but the narrative absolutely sucks. There is almost no setup and no exposition before you're thrown into the main plot with little time and emotional investment in the characters or even the hero. Frankly, it was quite poorly handled. Hoping this improves further down the road.

dralla

exposition for what? the plot is very straightforward. and the hero is never developed, he barely talks, he's supposed to represent you [the player]. Fable is not very story driven.

fernoca

SPEA said:
I'm about 6-8 hours in. Really liking it so far. Lovvvvved the
D&D
quest. Sooooo funny. :lol :lol
:lol :lol
Yeah, they even made fun of Fable II with the
"what kind of final boss is only killed with one hit?"
comment. :lol

Gowans007 said:
What is this quest DLC for 400points and is it worth it?
Is not up. They put it for some time, then removed it.
The info said:
Fable III Understone Quest Pack- 400msp

"Discover a whole new town built beneath the streets of Bowerstone. This full size region contains new houses and stalls to own, new creatures to fight and a major mystery to solve. As a special bonus, you will also receive two extra quests for free: the Mercenary Shooting Range, where you can earn prizes by hitting a variety of targets, and the Wheel of Misfortune, which gives you a chance to return to Reaver's manor and participate in his insane combat arena."
Some said it was the quest from the limited edition of the game; but the description of that one is different (and not really detailed):
•A new quest: Uncover the mystery of the haunted forests of Silverpines and earn the legendary sword, Wolfsbane, deadly against wolves and balverines.
•Exclusive location: Unlock a new region, ideal for settling down with a family and discovering new treasures.

dralla said:
exposition for what? the plot is very straightforward. and the hero is never developed, he barely talks, he's supposed to represent you [the player]. Fable is not very story driven.
Fable 2 does a really good job of this. I've started a new character it to see if it was just nostalgia leading me astray, but no, Fable 2 is just a damn fine game (My 2008 GOTY), and has all the elements Lionhead decided to remove from Fable 3. :(

But I'll give Fable 3 another go at some point. Its inevitable to be disappointed when expectations don't meet reality, but maybe I'll be able to get back to it later now that I know the game that it is rather than the one I expected and hoped it would be.

ultron87

What exactly triggers the special animation kills for some of the weapons? I feel like I've had it happen both off flourishes and off normal attacks.

The Hammer one where you
slam it down to bounce the enemy off the floor and then knock it out of the air is awesome.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I finally got my copy today. I'm looking forward to playing it but of course I gotta fuckin go to work for 8 hours now.

JoeBoy101

dralla said:

Fuck you talking about? Even from the beginning of the game you are not introduced to anything regards to the world, peoples, and politics. They keep talking about your Brother acting crazy lately (
Even before he has the worker killed
. Why? How? In what form? The whole introduction scene to your leaving the castle can be done in about 10 minutes, with you starting as a Prince(ss) to becoming the leader of the revolution. I don't mind getting a finger up my ass, but I'd like a little foreplay first.

NullPointer said:
Fable 2 does a really good job of this. I've started a new character it to see if it was just nostalgia leading me astray, but no, Fable 2 is just a damn fine game (My 2008 GOTY), and has all the elements Lionhead decided to remove from Fable 3. :(

He's got it. Fable 2, you are given a proper introduction, exposition scenes and narrative, and a good starting point within the world. In Fable 3, it sets the narrative direction, but that's about it. There are elements in Fable 3 I am liking over 2 right now, don't get me wrong, but the plot isn't it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Put the game down for good. Decent enough rental, but I wouldn't buy this at $20. They have had plenty of time but for some reason the game just feels rushed out for some reason. I only enjoyed the combat, but overall its piss easy and there's no real ryme or reason for a lot of the things that happen. The story is really hamfisted but the occasional quest features a funny touch. Finally, they really shove a stick down your cock if you didn't get into real estate from the word go and you're good guy. The King part dicks you over so hard its not even funny.

JoeBoy101 said:
Fuck you talking about? Even from the beginning of the game you are not introduced to anything regards to the world, peoples, and politics. They keep talking about your Brother acting crazy lately (
Even before he has the worker killed
. Why? How? In what form? The whole introduction scene to your leaving the castle can be done in about 10 minutes, with you starting as a Prince(ss) to becoming the leader of the revolution. I don't mind getting a finger up my ass, but I'd like a little foreplay first.

He's got it. Fable 2, you are given a proper introduction, exposition scenes and narrative, and a good starting point within the world. In Fable 3, it sets the narrative direction, but that's about it. There are elements in Fable 3 I am liking over 2 right now, don't get me wrong, but the plot isn't it.
Yeah I have no idea where this is coming from. The proper introduction in 2 is two sentences "Lord Lucien's wife and daughter dead. He is insane" Oh and then the hero's sister gets shot in the face.

Also what do you mean you are not introduced to the world from the beginning? I have no idea how they could have laid it out anymore than the intro movie that plays in the first twenty seconds of the game. Right after you pick a character, I doubt the chicken metaphor was too subtle that anyone would miss it.

TommyT

LAUGHTREY said:
Does anyone know if you can save
Private Jammy

You know, wondered that as well! You get the slomo
when he dies
making you think like you missed out on the opportunity.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
TommyT said:
You know, wondered that as well! You get the slomo
when he dies
making you think like you missed out on the opportunity.

If you can, it's super hard and he runs right into the enemies like it's his job. He barely gets hit and dies. It always seems to end right after he bites it though so It's hard to tell if it isn't meant to be like that, but they never say anything about it.

TommyT

LAUGHTREY said:
If you can, it's super hard and he runs right into the enemies like it's his job. He barely gets hit and dies. It always seems to end right after he bites it though so It's hard to tell if it isn't meant to be like that, but they never say anything about it.

He died rather early on mine as I was constantly fighting on a different side. I bet if you baby sat him you probably could. Just AoE cast spells so nothing ever touches him.

edit: then again, maybe he is supposed to given his name and what's said about him before this event.

Daft_Cat

Wow. 2-3 hours in and Jasper completely stopped speaking...luckily I'm past the point where a silent Jasper can break the game (he already gave me melee weapons and showed me my quest log) but I simply refuse to play this shit if one of the biggest features doesn't even work.
Honestly, why hire John Cleese? Apparently this glitch is super common as well.

That's it. I'm tired of giving this franchise second chances. I'm not touching Fable III, and if this shit isn't patched in a week or so, I'm selling this for...I dont know..Fallout or something..(at least we know there are patches on the way for that mess).

On a more positive note..I was really enjoying the game so far..definite improvement from 1..but that kind of glitch is unacceptable to me. I tried everything..clearing system cache, reinstalling to HD..I refuse to start a new game..It will probably just happen again.

Giard

Need help with the Millfields Demon Door.
What the hell did you guys wear? I'm wearing women pajamas mixed with the chicken suit (I'm a guy), ugly tattoos, the inkblot makeup and neon colors. He won't let me pass. :(

Retrofluxed

Giard said:
Need help with the Millfields Demon Door.
What the hell did you guys wear? I'm wearing women pajamas mixed with the chicken suit (I'm a guy), ugly tattoos, the inkblot makeup and neon colors. He won't let me pass. :(

You also
have to be fat. And you can wear just the PJs, no need to mix sets.

Plasma

Banned
So I just finished it
I thought everything up to the ending was great but it all finished so abruptly.

I had a plan all laid out on getting the money, I pretty much owned all of the buildings and shops on the map and was collecting money regularly. I thought I would just leave the game on for awhile to get the money I needed for the treasury when there was like a week left to go. Instead the game somehow leaps from day 121 to the day of the attack without even saying hey there is a point of no return coming up you may want to finish your business first.

Even then I'm not sure gathering all that money even matters because I still just killed off the final boss anyway and now everyone pretty much lives happily ever after.

Top Bottom