• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Cipher

How close am I to the point of no return?
Current mission is to follow Ben Finn to get my hands on a boat to go to Aurora.

Cipher said:
Current mission is to follow Ben Finn to get my hands on a boat to go to Aurora.

You've still got a bit to go. The following spoiler will tell you about when it hits, it gives away a bit of the story, but the story kind of sucks anyway:
After you become king there's a year left, when the load screen says ~100 days to go, that's the last day before the end. I forget the exact day but it's something like 129 days left and your agenda is to meet with Ben Kingsley and someone else. Once you attend that meeting, there's no going back before the end of the game proper.

Cipher said:
A few hours off I guess.

When you go to Aurora I am pretty sure you have to become the ruler before you can start questing/exploring again

The interaction system is so stupid and broken that I just don´t want to play it anymore. It seems that a gain followers not matter what I do, and everyone agrees to everything I do.

It took me five minutes to get a villager to want to marry me.
I gained a follower by farting at him.
I threatened an armed guard, and he did nothing against me.

DuckRacer

welp, just encountered the permanent mute jasper bug

and the random out-of-combat bullet time bug

and the breadcrumb trail glitch out bug

sigh. fable 2 was extremely polished in comparison.

Retrofluxed

I just encountered a bug, or I'm not understanding the weapon upgrade system. I just met the last achievement for the Channler sword (kill 100 enemies with
an unweaved Blades spell
) and the last achievement for Briar's Blaster (Girl Power: Kill 150 men) and either has unlocked. I have Ranged unlocked to level 5, but my Melee and Will are both still level 4. Does that have something to do with it?

goat said:
I just encountered a bug, or I'm not understanding the weapon upgrade system. I just met the last achievement for the Channler sword (kill 100 enemies with
an unweaved Blades spell
) and the last achievement for Briar's Blaster (Girl Power: Kill 150 men) and either has unlocked. I have Ranged unlocked to level 5, but my Melee and Will are both still level 4. Does that have something to do with it?
There are three upgrades for each legendary weapon. You must complete all the upgrades in order to get the achievement.

I'm not sure if the preorder weapons are legendary though. They might be.

So I beat the game. It was great and all, until I found out that
making all the good decisions as King actually kills everyone if you don't have enough money to put in the Treasury. So now I'm stuck with a completely empty world. All villagers and shopkeepers are 'dead'. Only the Guards remain. :( Very disappointing.

Retrofluxed

7echnicolor said:
There are three upgrades for each legendary weapon. You must complete all the upgrades in order to get the achievement.

I'm not sure if the preorder weapons are legendary though. They might be.

Yeah, what I'm saying is that on both weapons I'm 2/3 on the unique unlocks. On both, the 3rd unique unlock bar is at 100%, but the upgrade isn't unlocked (i.e. - the "gem" isn't colored).

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
-Yeti said:
So I beat the game. It was great and all, until I found out that
making all the good decisions as King actually kills everyone if you don't have enough money to put in the Treasury. So now I'm stuck with a completely empty world. All villagers and shopkeepers are 'dead'. Only the Guards remain. :( Very disappointing.

Well what did you think
expected casualties
meant?

goat said:
Yeah, what I'm saying is that on both weapons I'm 2/3 on the unique unlocks. On both, the 3rd unique unlock bar is at 100%, but the upgrade isn't unlocked (i.e. - the "gem" isn't colored).

Keep doing whatever you need to do, or get into combat. Mine had the same problem.

Also, was anyone else annoyed by the lack of a save file system? On the one hand your decisions actually mean something, which is what they're going for. But on the other you have to replay the whole game to see the King/Queen decision outcomes. Really annoying.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Unregistered007 said:
I am thinking or passing on this game. IGN just did an article saying it SUX.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1130705p1.html

The editorial is absolutely spot on. Fable 3 is one step forward, two steps back in every single facet of the game. Even with the middling reviews, I would say it is overrated after beating it.

Rent it first. You will beat it within a week. You will gnash your teeth at the asinine design decisions of this game. =(

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Kintaro said:
The editorial is absolutely spot on. Fable 3 is one step forward, two steps back in every single facet of the game. Even with the middling reviews, I would say it is overrated after beating it.

Rent it first. You will beat it within a week. You will gnash your teeth at the asinine design decisions of this game. =(
Sad but true, You can do whatever you want with enough gold. And it's not even difficult to get gold. The game is based on decisions, since it's surely not based on the combat (even weapons change depending on how many times you dig or how much gold you get, how dumb) so to totally nullify the decisions at the end of the game if you were smart and bought stuff from the start kinda ruins it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just did the first
Gnome
sidequest.

....:lol

The singing in unison bit after the end was just...:lol

Is it possible to play a truly evil character in this game?

Can you banned from towns?
Can you provoke guards by other means than killing villagers?
Can you get the villagers to fear you before you become the king?
Does the evil options in quests like Chicken chasers actually matter?

CecilRousso said:

Does the evil options in quests like Chicken chasers actually matter?

Answer this man.

I'm almost done completing the game with my "good" character. But I haven't decided if I'm going to play through again with an evil character. Mainly because I got the vibe that in Fable 3 it's almost impossible to get the people to treat you like villain. As mentioned before, you can threaten a guard and nothing happens. Whereas in Fable 1&2, lewd expressions to the guard would sometimes cause them to attempt to arrest you. And in general, guards and villagers weren't amused with your goofy expressions if they hated you. Yet in Fable 3 it seems like you can dance with guards no matter what you do.

So if I'm going to do an evil character, I want to be treated like an outlaw. Not Dennis the Menace.

Kintaro said:

I thought it was a very poorly written & thought out article, how is the money system any worse than Fable 2? All you had to do there is change the date/not play for a while & you have more money than you ever need, & as house conditions in Fable 3 deteriorate over time you wouldn't receive rent after a while if you just left the game plugged in, add to that the better customisations for the houses I fail to see how that is a step back from Fable 2.

It seems to me he rushed through the game, & wrote an article to get hits as the only downgrade(that I've noticed) from Fable 2 is the expressions system(which is a huge downgrade) which is now dull after you've watched the animation a couple of times.

I think it's funny that this is either a love it or hate it type of game.

Personally, I love it and can't stop playing it. I think they did a lot to pull at the hearts of fans from the original Fable with Music (and awesome references) but I think that Fable II was a disappointment...

I think Fable III is a great game however, and I really don't see why it got SO much hate. I understand it's not a flawless game but I also think people are being way to hard on it in some areas.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm leaning towards love, but not all the way there. I'm still fairly early in, but there are some design decisions that really bug me. The conversation system is probably the worst changed. I can't think of a single positive about it over what the did in the previous Fable games. It's not like the system was that good in I or II but at least we had to freedom to choose expressions and I miss seeing those love/hate/lust/fear notifications that would pop up. I'm only a couple hours in but I'm already uninterested in even trying to talk to people unless I have to for some reason.

but even with that and a few other problems, I'm still having a great time with the game. I just love the world of Albion and I love building my own character and customizing them to my liking. It's funny that a game can do so much wrong and still end up right for me.

FishSquared said:

Personally, I love it and can't stop playing it. I think they did a lot to pull at the hearts of fans from the original Fable with Music (and awesome references) but I think that Fable II was a disappointment...

I think Fable III is a great game however, and I really don't see why it got SO much hate. I understand it's not a flawless game but I also think people are being way to hard on it in some areas.

If you don´t see it, then you perhaps should start reading the posts? I think most here are quite clear about what they don´t like in this game.

Newduck

Already encountered a game breaking bug, can't move after 'the game' mission. Don't think i'm gonna spend any more time with it till its patched.

I'm not liking it that much so far, typically enjoyable as Fable is. However it almost seems like a downgrade.

Leveling up is poor, even more simplified, feels like nobody will end up with a different character outside of weapons. Combat is more simplified, interactions are poorer, distracting and more tedious. Getting 'Friends' is annoying with the individual fetch quests.

A lot of really poor design decisions, terrible QA and just feels rushed overall which is a shame as a lot of the game is extremely enjoyable.

fernoca said:
Well, nnot as exagerated though. My evil character is barely starting and looks quite pale.
Though I'm relatively early with her, so no red tattooes yet (except when she performs magic)
Thanks for the pictures, the bottom one looks a lot like my old Evil/Pure character in terms of skin colour, facial expression and lip/eye colour - also the red marks are a really nice touch.

CecilRousso said:
No

CecilRousso said:
Vandalism and assault are the only other ways to provoke the guards, although until you resist arrest they won't attack you.

CecilRousso said:
If you go on a killing spree, yes.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Cerebral Assassin said:
I thought it was a very poorly written & thought out article, how is the money system any worse than Fable 2? All you had to do there is change the date/not play for a while & you have more money than you ever need, & as house conditions in Fable 3 deteriorate over time you wouldn't receive rent after a while if you just left the game plugged in, add to that the better customisations for the houses I fail to see how that is a step back from Fable 2.

It seems to me he rushed through the game, & wrote an article to get hits as the only downgrade(that I've noticed) from Fable 2 is the expressions system(which is a huge downgrade) which is now dull after you've watched the animation a couple of times.

- The money system being as bad as Fable 2 isn't a good thing. It should have been fixed. The repair thing is very minor thing as it is pennies to repair your entire real estate system through the map room. Also, the villagers honestly don't give a shit about your decor. You get money regardless. Being as bad as the previous game isn't an acceptable excuse because it was still bad.

- Combat is just as piss easy. Again. This should have been fixed. It doesn't matter what weapons you use. You mow through things like a hot knife through butter.

- As you mentioned, the expressions system is complete nonsense.

- The hub world gets old very quickly and is not a valid replacement for a well done menu system. This is a step back as the novelty wears off very quickly. It's the only place to access a map, your quests, your weapons and so on. Asinine.

- Lets not get into how the game turns to junk in the last 1/3 either.

- Buggy as shit.

elwes

I've been playing for almost a week now and I just wanted to drop some impressions here. Gonna be a long read since I'm at work and I'm bored, so I apologize in advance.

****VERY VERY MINOR SPOILERS******

I just became king in my game and so far I'm having a good time. All of the complaints are justified, though. This game is a buggy, technical disaster. I'm amazed that I've managed to accomplish what I have in this game with the amount of issues that I run into on any given playthrough. The jobs are unplayable at times due to the random slowdown. You'd think that something as simple as a button pressing mini-game could be pulled off without a hitch...especially mini-games that require time sensitive button presses. I don't think I've ever failed the mini-games due to an error on my part.

The lag that you get (seemingly at random) is ridiculous. I'll be running around a barren field and out of nowhere my character will slow down and resemble a Michael Bay shot. I hope it's just a glitch and not a design decision to allow the environments to load up without pop in. I'll be super pissed if they purposefully slow down the action in the game so House A over on the hillside has a proper amount of time to render before it pops into view.

And something else that really bothers me is how muddy this game looks. Maybe I can't remember how Fable I and II were, but the graphics always seemed vibrant and clean. Fable III has this layer of "film" over everything. It's especially noticeable when you're moving the camera around in darker environments. It feels especially washed out and unpolished and it tends to detract from the game's visuals and design (which can be amazing in the right situations and areas).

The combat feels a little broken to me. Enemy encounters are either too easy and fast or too easy and with an attempt at difficulty that focuses on "bullet/spell/sword sponge" enemies which tends to feel cheap. No enemy is particularly challenging, so they felt the need to make certain enemies take longer to kill. It doesn't make it any more fun, though, since those same enemies cannot be staggered or thrown off kilter. If I shoot a guy in the face with a gun, he should at least react to it, instead of just standing there and rattling off another attack like nothing happened. The main offenders are those giant, 7 foot tall bald guys that throw bombs/shoot fireballs at you. I HATE fighting them because it just feels tedious. At least when the Balverines do this, it's not as bad since they're a little more interesting to fight.

The only method of attack that feels fun is the gun, since it feels like it actually packs a punch. I remember the spells in F1 and 2 feeling powerful and worthwhile...sometimes feeling a little too powerful. This lent itself rather nicely to F1/2 because since the game was already easy, having attacks that made it even easier didn't really take away that much from the gameplay. Sure, I could kill someone in a few sword hits if I wanted to, but why not punch the ground and have fire erupt out of the soil instead? The charged up spells feel amazing to cast, but they seem like they do little to no damage. They aren't as satisfying as they were in the previous games and since their impact on enemies feels weaker, I find myself sticking to the gun. Also, the fact that you have to charge spells to unleash more powerful attacks doesn't feel as polished as it did in F2. If I have to charge an AoE fireball for 3-4 seconds, it sure as hell better mess some bandit's shit up. In F2, if you pulled off the level 5 version of the attack, you knew that everything around you was toast. This was part of the fun of it, though. It took longer to cast and it made you vulnerable, but if you managed to finally pull it off, you wiped out everything. I don't feel like charging an AoE fireball for 3-4 seconds if it's going to take 3-4 charged magic attacks to kill the enemies around me.

I have the same beef with the sword. It takes WAAAY too long to kill the regular, run of the mill enemies with the sword. This would be ok if the combat in the game was intuitive and challenging, but it's not. The flourishes are awesome and fun to watch, but the fact that enemies swarm you constantly and there is no counterattack make the flourishes less urgent to pull off. Throw in the fact that it might take 2-3 flourishes to kill an enemy and it starts to feel more worthwhile to just mash the X button while dodging. This might change for me, though, since I'm working to upgrade my sword to Rank 4.

The lack of a mini-map or even a functional map is hugely annoying. If there was a button I could press to instantly go to the map that is currently in the game, it might not irk me as much. The fact that you have to push start, wait for the Sanctuary to load up, then run forward to the map table and push A again really detracts from something as simple as trying to make sure that you have the right path to an area. Maybe make use of that empty Select button and put a quick map in place that shows you where everything is and the path it takes to get there and reserve the Sanctuary map for buying/managing property and quick travel.

Do not. And I mean DO NOT make me do fetch quests to further my relationship with someone once I'm king. I mean...really? Sally Sue, the poor, drunk person begging on the street is going to make me run a package to someone in Mistpeak in order for me to become her friend? For one thing, it's stupid that I have to do this in the first place to advance the relationship, but I would never ask someone of authority over me to do something like that. It's entirely unbelievable. It's even worse when you're at the castle and servants are asking you to do this. I'm not saying that I'm better than this person since that would betray my "nice guy" character, but still...

Time for the positives.

I'm actually a fan of the Sanctuary idea. I think that with some more tweaking, it could be incredibly awesome and intuitive. The fact that you can warp to the rooms the second that you're in the Sanctuary is a big plus. I was worried that the Sanctuary would be a mansion and there would be far too much running around to change something like a hat. The fact that it's smaller and has just enough room to house all of the important stuff is good. Maybe in F4 (which, I'm assuming there will be since this will probably sell well), they should expand on the Sanctuary and make it worth exploring ala the Lara Croft mansion. Keep the functional, "getting down to business" rooms so there isn't a lot of unneeded running around, but an extra area to explore and customize would be nice.

The dialogue is superb, as well as the sense of humor most of the quests bring to the table. When the game wants to be funny, it does it in the most absurd way possible that takes away from the doom and gloom that the game likes to wash over you.

The graphics, when not being washed out and grainy, are rather pretty to look at. The settings are interesting and the design of the land is whimsical and instills a sense of mystery. Some of this mystery is due to a lack of backstory in many of these areas, but there's just enough to intrigue you. Same thing goes with enemy/monster design. I've always thought that the Fable games had awesome monster design...the Balverine in particular with the Hobbes being a close second.

I didn't bash the gold earning portion of this game because I don't really have a problem with it. My only issue is that I wish there was more stuff to spend it on, but I don't have a huge complaint regarding it. Buying up houses and businesses is addictive and back before I was making a cool 80k every five minutes, playing lute on the street corner so I could afford to buy the nearby tavern made me feel like a man of the people just trying to make his way in the world.

While I bashed the combat above, when the combat works, it's awesome. The flourishes are brutal...especially the canned animations that pop in from time to time. Some of the animations involving the gun make me feel like such a bad ass. It breaks up the monotony of the fighting just enough to make you feel like the Hero the game is hyping you up to be.

------->John Cleese. <-----

Gripes aside, I'm having a good time. I omitted some complaints because this is long enough, but despite all of the negativity and stupid crap that shouldn't have made it into the retail version of the game, I'm enjoying it and quite a lot at that. I'm sure that when F4 comes out, I'll have just as many complaints as I do with this game and the ones before it, but I'm almost positive I'll have a blast all the same.

Mr. Sam

I actually think the combat is harder. Not because of better enemies or anything, but because it's much more imprecise now than it's ever been. Using the guns absolutely sucks. What happened to that thing - you know, aiming? Oh, and the camera placement is also horrible. I dread having to fight anything - it's just so awkward and unsatisfying.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mr. Sam said:
I actually think the combat is harder. Not because of better enemies or anything, but because it's much more imprecise now than it's ever been. Using the guns absolutely sucks. What happened to that thing - you know, aiming? Oh, and the camera placement is also horrible. I dread having to fight anything - it's just so awkward and unsatisfying.

I feel the same way. After playing Fable II recently I've had to adjust a bit to this one since it seems they took away most of the momentum (like Batman AA) that allowed you to bounce from enemy to enemy. I also wish they hadn't taken away the bonus system from II, it wasn't anything special but at least it gave you a little movtivation/reward for playing good. But overall it still is a pretty decent combat system, it's fun and I don't get bored of it.

As anyone one gotten into how insultingly stupid and asinine the whole "money makes people happy" slant of the game is? What stupid bullshit. How about the game being in general about as subtle as a goddamn toilet seat. "LOOK that bad guy is really really baaaaddd!! Boooo!!", "WEEE!!! FARTING!!!". Also, i wanna kill my dog. He's either taking 5 minutes to painstakingly slowly walk around towards a digging spot, or goes "WOOF LOOK THERE'S A GIANT CHEST RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU WOOF LOOK AT IT CANT YOU SEE IT WOOF". Yes i saw it 5 minutes ago and you're useless and i'm eating dog for dinner. I also fucking hate how that stupid shiny trail is an excuse for them to get rid of an actual map, like wtf. The birds eye view has so little detail, i can hardly find what i look for once i'm actually within the environment. ALSO, having to select houses one by one to repair is such effing tedium. Or is there a better way that i didnt see? And GOD i wish i could skip the putrid shitty dialog. I mean, i know they think they're funny, but they'r just irritating.
On the positive side, some of the environments are kinda nice. I just wish there was more to do in it than mindless piss easy button mashing combat.

Gigglepoo

CecilRousso said:

Not really. The game just doesn't make sense at all when you're an evil character. The plot is based on you forming alliances based on trust and promises, so it kind of shatters the illusion when you murder an entire town and can still pretend like you're an honorable person. Even though people do jeer or even fear you if you're really awful, the story is so built around being a good person that it never feels as if you have the room to be truly evil. And the ending is atrocious.

burgerdog said:
I have a potion to change my dog's breed, but have no idea where to use it. Halp.
I would guess interact with it and the potion may or may not magically appear in the context sensitive dpad options.

burgerdog said:
I have a potion to change my dog's breed, but have no idea where to use it. Halp.

In the Santuary go to the dog bed and activate it. There you can see your dog's stats and you can change your dog's name and breed. Although I'm not sure why you would want to change the breed, border collies are the best.

burgerdog

I already have the potion in my non-existent inventory, I just can't figure out how to use it. Interacting with the dog doesn't bring up an option to use it.

nm, figured out how.

FishSquared said:

I agree with this. At first I thought it wasn't as good as Fable 2. But after playing the game for the past couple of days, I've gotten used to all of the changes, and I've fallen in love with the world of Fable 3: The characters, the combat, the sanctuary, the enviroments (especially Aurora). All I can say is I'm really looking forward to Fable IV :D

I havent run into any game breaking bugs, thankfully. I have the game installed to my hard drive, so I don't know if that's helped. (doubt it)

Kintaro said:
- The money system being as bad as Fable 2 isn't a good thing. It should have been fixed. The repair thing is very minor thing as it is pennies to repair your entire real estate system through the map room. Also, the villagers honestly don't give a shit about your decor. You get money regardless. Being as bad as the previous game isn't an acceptable excuse because it was still bad.

- Combat is just as piss easy. Again. This should have been fixed. It doesn't matter what weapons you use. You mow through things like a hot knife through butter.

- As you mentioned, the expressions system is complete nonsense.

- The hub world gets old very quickly and is not a valid replacement for a well done menu system. This is a step back as the novelty wears off very quickly. It's the only place to access a map, your quests, your weapons and so on. Asinine.

- Lets not get into how the game turns to junk in the last 1/3 either.

- Buggy as shit.

I agree with all of this 100%

My wife just up and died on me and then my children went straight from the castle to the orphanage, wtf...the wife was my create a villager too T.T

Top Bottom