• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

JayDubya

Banned
StarEye said:
Well, obviously, if you grind like hell, which you must have considering where you are in the story, it will be easy.

I don't consider wandering around looking for all the gnomes and keys "grinding like hell," though. :p

You present me a new area, I want to find everything. I'm probably going to have to use a FAQ for the books, I think. I only have like 13-14 and the game's gotta be close to being over.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Cool transferring cash from your pile to kingdom's gets ya good points. Powered up my avo sword by accident lol. Got me thinking I can kill the 40 nobles I need for the dragonstomper if I got enough bank to cover it. Gonna try later.

Speaking of donating Gold to the Treasury, I think it's quite ridiculous how you can instantly change your Morality if you either donate or take away from the Treasury. My brother needed to be Good for some reason, so he just donated 3 mil and BAM! Insta-good.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
-Yeti said:
Speaking of donating Gold to the Treasury, I think it's quite ridiculous how you can instantly change your Morality if you either donate or take away from the Treasury. My brother needed to be Good for some reason, so he just donated 3 mil and BAM! Insta-good.

Went all the way evil doing the kill 40 nobles thing. Donated 3 mil, still not all the way back. Now everyone in the castle fears me. :lol

Kingpen

As a Fable 2 fan... bugs aside (that hopefully will be patched)
Is Fable 3 worth 40 bucks?

I see so many comments about people being disappointed, but I also see equal comments about people liking what they are playing...

Kingpen said:

I see so many comments about people being disappointed, but I also see equal comments about people liking what they are playing...
If you play the game only for the story and the sidequests, and can live with every other part of the game being broken/dumb then yes. Otherwise no.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Kingpen said:

Its an okay game, but its probably the most disappointing game of the year given the expectations and things that should've been improved after its prequel. As it is now, its definitely not worth the full 60 bucks.

40? Sure.

Mr. Sam

I've come to resent this game. I saw an ad in Empire magazine today for it, with it reading "YOU ARE ALBION'S ONLY CHANCE AND IT'S GREATEST THREAT". That is to say "You are Albion's chance and it is greatest threat." I think that pretty much encapsulates the rough around unnecessary edges, rushed feel of the game. I'm not a habitual critic of the Fable series. In fact, I loved the first two despite their very obvious flaws. However, I'll be taking Fable III back to the shop - after having completed it, as I did last night. Here's an arbitrary list of things I liked and disliked about the game:

• One thing that bothered me to no end was the removal of the expression wheel. I am Albion's benevolent rule and I wish to befriend this guard who has just respectfully saluted me. Can I shake his hand? Oh, I can't, but I can partake in an intimate tango with him. Makes sense.
  • I could go on for about twenty bullet points about the bugs I encountered (and I encountered comparatively few to most others, or so it seems) but I'll just keep it confined to this one. Particularly annoying was the constant slowdown for apparently no reason. Someone would walk into the room and the game would shit its pants. Somebody had pitched this to me as "Fable 2 but much more refined." Somehow they made it much less refined.
  • "Baby's First RPG" doesn't even begin to describe it. I don't particularly care for RPGs and I'd hate for Fable to suddenly become a hardcore RPG but there was so very little actual role-playing in this game. The choices that you did have felt largely pretty arbitrary.
  • The combat is perhaps the series low. It's more imprecise than ever. The ability to accrue mountains of potions and food also make combat laughably easy. I won the final battle by just hammering y. Not exactly a "Radec moment". I was irked by having to hold LT to aim. I felt Fable 2's approach to ranged attacks was much better.
  • The world may have actually been bigger but it felt like the smallest Fable yet. I felt like I was having a potter down the road rather than going on some grand adventure. With the exception of
    Aurora
    , the environments were very samey. Forest, town, cave, forest, town, cave. I suppose the Dweller's camp was, you know, snowy but what incentive did you ever have to go there? Despite the whole "industrial revolution" historical setting, the only place that seemed to show advancement from Fable 2 was Bowerstone Industrial, which was aesthetically horrible.
  • Once you unlock Level 5 Blacksmithing - or any other profession, presumably - you can literally buy everything within about an hour and your gold ends up being more worthless than the Zimbabwean Dollar. I filled the treasury and then some within about twenty minutes.
  • Being King - the focal point of the game -
    lasts about an hour at best if you just see to royal business. The decision to just jump to the end game after day 121 feels less risky game design and more "fuck, actually coming up with stuff for the King to do is too much like hard work."
  • Collision detection. OK, so this could really come under "bugs" but it was particularly bothersome. Hmm, nice royal cape. Oh no, my rifle and sword seem to have punctured it. No they haven't. Yes they have. No they haven't. Yes they have. No they haven't. Yes they have... Ugh. My hair even stuck out through my crown, which I guess must have been made out of tinfoil.
  • The quests felt like absolute chores, with one exception -
    the first journey to Aurora. You actually felt out of your element, and there was a sense of discovery, tension and drama. Very short-lived.
  • The wardrobe felt very limited. In Fable 2, I felt like I'd crafted a pretty unique hero who still looked cool. In this one, I felt there were probably thousands upon thousands of people who shared my look - unless I wanted my character to look totally idiotic.
  • The Sanctuary was a nice idea but a well-crafted pause menu would have been infinitely better. Of course, this is Lionhead and - as we saw with Fable 2 - even their menus have slowdown.
  • The "evil choices" as King were 90% the right choices to make. But don't give in to the demands of vapid, naive morons and you turn into Satan?
  • The story was just... there. I kind of want to retroactively smack Theresa for telling me my son was going to be more important in Fable 2. "The Old King" would have sorted that shit out in five minutes flat. Kids these days, huh?
  • Micromanaging property was a chore.
  • Hand holding just didn't work - even on a technical level. I was apparently too quick for people and they just ended up wandering behind me and getting caught on random objects.
    Holding Walter's hand as he was blinded would have been much more meaningful if I was actually holding his hand. As it is, he seemed to be finding his own way.
    Stairs ruin everything, eh?
  • The voice talent - particularly John Cleese and Stephen Fry - was superb. Reaver is still an absolutely terrific character.
  • Bed springs and humorous music are a good edition to the blackscreen sex.

And, erm, I guess that's about that.

Wow, the king-part is absolutely killing me.
I mean, it's either being loved or hated by the people. I have only 200.000 Albion coins (?) left now, it's horrible. I now have to decide whether to keep my promise to Aurora (-700.000) or do something with Reaver (+500.000). I don't want to break my promise, all those poor people. What should I do? Is there any way to get money and be good as well?

Pizza Luigi said:
I mean, it's either being loved or hated by the people. I have only 200.000 Albion coins (?) left now, it's horrible. I now have to decide whether to keep my promise to Aurora (-700.000) or do something with Reaver (+500.000). I don't want to break my promise, all those poor people. What should I do? Is there any way to get money and be good as well?
You can still make money through the normal game means: renting out property and doing jobs (jobs are pretty slow once you start looking at gold in the millions). I finished the game doing everything in the goodest way possible and simply saved up my own money to fund the kingdom.

Keep in mind doing it this way will add about 5 hours to your play-time. You might just want to make some tough decisions and get through it if that's your style.

DY_nasty

Pizza Luigi said:
Step back, bake some pies, buy some pawnshops, go on adventures... and stuff to pass the time, stack paper.

Mastperf

Worst Fable yet IMO. So Let me try to wrap my head around this..
Reaver tries to kill me...so when I become King I not only do not arrest him but I allow him to argue every counterpoint for the side of evil, and then pay Reaver Industries to do the work and let him take credit for the good deed?
That makes complete utter sense. :\

This is the first Fable that I find completely devoid of charm. There isn't a single interesting area in the whole game. There's no peaceful place like Oakvale or Oakfield to enjoy and/or protect. There's no arena to fight in either. The choices from Fable 2 ended up be completely unimportant and all of the major events that happened like building the Sanctuary and you growing up happened between Fable 2 and 3. There's no mention of how and why the Hero king died. Heroes who are from the bloodline aren't supposed to die of old age but I guess I'm expecting too much from Lionhead when it comes to consistency. This is one of the buggiest games I've ever played. MS and Lionhead should be ashamed for pushing this buggy shit onto their fanbase.

Overall it's a pretty good game as far as overall content is concerned, but it's a poorly done Fable. I hope Microsoft will give Lionhead another game to work on and hand Fable 4 over to a new team who can reinvigorate the franchise and return it to it's roots. I'm sure that won't happen though and we'll be killing Hollowmen Nazis with sniper rifles in Fable 4.
Was there some sort of exodus of tallent from Lionhead after the first Fable? Every Fable after the first feels like it was made by a completely different team than Fable TLC.

STG

Mr. Sam said:
[*]The voice talent - particularly John Cleese and Stephen Fry - was superb.
I wish I could change the language from my German version to English :/

I love cleese and stephen

Hixx

STG said:

Kind of irrelevant on Cleese's behalf, he stops talking for a lot of people around the first time you head to Mourningwood/Bowerstone.

derFeef

STG said:

The original dub should be out already but they said they have technical problems. I am waiting for it to continue, because the german dub is terrible :/

STG

derFeef said:
The original dub should be out already but they said they have technical problems. I am waiting for it to continue, because the german dub is terrible :/
oh nice! technical problems! I hope like the fable 2 english voice dlc, which got pulled because it was also fail

Mr. Sam said:
[*]Being King - the focal point of the game -
lasts about an hour at best if you just see to royal business. The decision to just jump to the end game after day 121 feels less risky game design and more "fuck, actually coming up with stuff for the King to do is too much like hard work."

It wasn't a focal point, they were pretty open about it being the end of the game (last 3rd was a real stretch though). I thought it worked pretty well as a trail run for the system and I don't know how many more choices there could be given they wanted them to affect things covered in the game. I think what they did would have worked really well for what it was, and there was sufficient consequence to making the wrong decisions.

Ultimately it suffers for not having the game revolve around it, letting your choices and the the reactions to them be more free-form; however the game was just meant to introduce the concept which it did well (minus the abundance of money you can generate for it).

The issue seems to be that people don't like it when there's a consequence such when they didn't have the finances and were punished for running up major debts
or Reaver turning idyllic towns into quarry's when he literally says that's what he'll do, or when lifting alcohol restrictions fills towns with drunks.

[*]The wardrobe felt very limited. In Fable 2, I felt like I'd crafted a pretty unique hero who still looked cool. In this one, I felt there were probably thousands upon thousands of people who shared my look - unless I wanted my character to look totally idiotic.

Maybe I'm failing to remember things correctly but I thought there were far fewer costumes in Fable 2 and there wasn't the ability to mix-and-match outfits?

[*]The "evil choices" as King were 90% the right choices to make. But don't give in to the demands of vapid, naive morons and you turn into Satan?

. You don't think you abusing/lying to/neglecting your populace should be considered an evil act even if it's the most logical thing to do?
The game makes it pretty clear that sometimes that's what needs to happen, but the ends don't justify the needs

I think like a Fable 2 it did a lot of things right whilst also managing to to a lot of things wrong. The combat was atrocious along with the bugs, the lack of a "fix all" button made renting properties meaningless, the fact that you couldn't pick your interactions (seriously, just have them mapped to the d-pad) was incredibly stupid.

Then I think the sanctuary is the best menu system I've seen, I thought the level/world design was far superior to any of the other Fables, the choices you made were better than 99% of those seen in other games as long as you weren't loaded, and I think they finally went to some length at making morality in Fable significant by
justifying the actions of the antagonist and putting the player in his shoes
which is nice given it's always been the crux of the series.

It was a Fable game and I find it hard to judge because it's a Fable game; it has so many objectively shitty elements but I still end up really enjoying it. I think the only way there's ever going to be a great entry in the series is if it revolves around Reaver's exploits throughout the franchises entire time-line; and emotes would further be simplified so that they exist simply to determine the way that you'll be intimate with any person, animal, or inanimate object in the game.

Owzers

Fable 3 end verdict:

Sanctuary was neat, the fact that there was zero loading to access it was a great move...which is why interacting with citizens one on one with the delay before and after is a terrible design decision. Having everyone's friendship mission be a fetch quest was the second terrible design decision around the same thing.

Second good thing: Combining magical gauntlets for spells. Magic in Fable 2 was quite annoying but between combining spells and having slow time be an instant-use item, magic in fable 3 was enjoyable.

Biggest problem in the game, of course:

The King segments. My problems with the end are twofold. First, throughout the course of the game you don't really need gold. Sure i bought about 6 houses because i felt like it and needed one or two for the occassional wife, but i didn't NEED gold. I didn't buy a single weapon because they were mostly the same outside of modifiers that i NEVER UNLOCKED because i just didn't kill say, 500 hollow men. I got nothing for killing 250 or so, so that part of the game was a failure for me personally. Clothing? What few suits they had i easily was able to purchase. Now that brings me to the end " lol do you have money?" But that isn't even the biggest problem with the end...

You can tell that the last part of Fable 3 was made without a sense of direction.
When facing the end of the world as you know it, it seems a bit....idiotic...that failing to build a science center will cause people to hate you. Why not build the science center if you live past the year? " I'll build it next year if we aren't all dead," is not an acceptable answer these days? So where are the logical options? Where are the options to draft your citizens into the army? Or having to choose between building a school or making the children do slave labor in a factory? How about i build the school next year and the children can help out in other ways besides heavy labor? It's hard to feel like a king when they take all logical decisions off the table.

Actually, i'm putting more time into the end of Fable 3 than the developers did, which is probably why they skipped the last 165 days of your kingship at a whim. " Oh hey, this game is over." Overall it was still OKAY, but the ending really sours the experience, almost as unsatisfying as becoming the king yourself, which was completely anti-climactic.

Prosper

Neo Member
They really should have let us alter the tax rate and have it keep coming in as cash the same way as you do rent and business profits, having a once off thing really isn't very tactful considering the way the rest of the economy is done in the game.

Does anyone feel "weaker" in this Fable then the previous ones? Maybe the enemies just have more hp?

It's annoying cause they aren't difficult to beat but just annoying how long it takes to kill them.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's annoying cause they aren't difficult to beat but just annoying how long it takes to kill them.

They do take too long to die, and it starts to feel like a grind because your move set is so limited. It's just mashing the same buttons again and again and again. It's the worst when the battles go on forever in some of the missions, I just want it to end.

So did they really not make an animation for playing fetch with the dog? You just throw the ball and nothing happens.

just might be the laziest thing I've ever seen

DY_nasty

Snuggler said:
So did they really not make an animation for playing fetch with the dog? You just throw the ball and nothing happens.

just might be the laziest thing I've ever seen
You ever tried vaulting off a high cliff and butt-sliding the whole way down while camera gives you vertigo? Ugliest shit I've ever seen.

Nelo Ice

Banned
so after 29 hours of play and after beating the game i encountered my 1st game breaking glitch =(

got the free falling glitch though appareantly there is a fix

saw this on youtube comments
OK. this is the ONLY proven way to get out of this glitch. I was stuck in it for

two days until I did this...First invite someone to your game. Then have them

find dig spots with their dog until they find something you can TRY ON like:

tattoo, clothing, ect. When they do find something, hit X to try on (do not hit

A) and this will transport you to your sanctuary dressing room. Once there, go

to your map room and fast travel somewhere. then fast travel back to sanctuary

and save!

Amir0x

Banned
Mr. Sam said:
I've come to resent this game. I saw an ad in Empire magazine today for it, with it reading "YOU ARE ALBION'S ONLY CHANCE AND IT'S GREATEST THREAT". That is to say "You are Albion's chance and it is greatest threat." I think that pretty much encapsulates the rough around unnecessary edges, rushed feel of the game. I'm not a habitual critic of the Fable series. In fact, I loved the first two despite their very obvious flaws. However, I'll be taking Fable III back to the shop - after having completed it, as I did last night. Here's an arbitrary list of things I liked and disliked about the game:

• One thing that bothered me to no end was the removal of the expression wheel. I am Albion's benevolent rule and I wish to befriend this guard who has just respectfully saluted me. Can I shake his hand? Oh, I can't, but I can partake in an intimate tango with him. Makes sense.
  • I could go on for about twenty bullet points about the bugs I encountered (and I encountered comparatively few to most others, or so it seems) but I'll just keep it confined to this one. Particularly annoying was the constant slowdown for apparently no reason. Someone would walk into the room and the game would shit its pants. Somebody had pitched this to me as "Fable 2 but much more refined." Somehow they made it much less refined.
  • "Baby's First RPG" doesn't even begin to describe it. I don't particularly care for RPGs and I'd hate for Fable to suddenly become a hardcore RPG but there was so very little actual role-playing in this game. The choices that you did have felt largely pretty arbitrary.
  • The combat is perhaps the series low. It's more imprecise than ever. The ability to accrue mountains of potions and food also make combat laughably easy. I won the final battle by just hammering y. Not exactly a "Radec moment". I was irked by having to hold LT to aim. I felt Fable 2's approach to ranged attacks was much better.
  • The world may have actually been bigger but it felt like the smallest Fable yet. I felt like I was having a potter down the road rather than going on some grand adventure. With the exception of
    Aurora
    , the environments were very samey. Forest, town, cave, forest, town, cave. I suppose the Dweller's camp was, you know, snowy but what incentive did you ever have to go there? Despite the whole "industrial revolution" historical setting, the only place that seemed to show advancement from Fable 2 was Bowerstone Industrial, which was aesthetically horrible.
  • Once you unlock Level 5 Blacksmithing - or any other profession, presumably - you can literally buy everything within about an hour and your gold ends up being more worthless than the Zimbabwean Dollar. I filled the treasury and then some within about twenty minutes.
  • Being King - the focal point of the game -
  • Collision detection. OK, so this could really come under "bugs" but it was particularly bothersome. Hmm, nice royal cape. Oh no, my rifle and sword seem to have punctured it. No they haven't. Yes they have. No they haven't. Yes they have. No they haven't. Yes they have... Ugh. My hair even stuck out through my crown, which I guess must have been made out of tinfoil.
  • The quests felt like absolute chores, with one exception -
    the first journey to Aurora. You actually felt out of your element, and there was a sense of discovery, tension and drama. Very short-lived.
  • The wardrobe felt very limited. In Fable 2, I felt like I'd crafted a pretty unique hero who still looked cool. In this one, I felt there were probably thousands upon thousands of people who shared my look - unless I wanted my character to look totally idiotic.
  • The Sanctuary was a nice idea but a well-crafted pause menu would have been infinitely better. Of course, this is Lionhead and - as we saw with Fable 2 - even their menus have slowdown.
  • The "evil choices" as King were 90% the right choices to make. But don't give in to the demands of vapid, naive morons and you turn into Satan?
  • The story was just... there. I kind of want to retroactively smack Theresa for telling me my son was going to be more important in Fable 2. "The Old King" would have sorted that shit out in five minutes flat. Kids these days, huh?
  • Micromanaging property was a chore.
  • Hand holding just didn't work - even on a technical level. I was apparently too quick for people and they just ended up wandering behind me and getting caught on random objects.
    Holding Walter's hand as he was blinded would have been much more meaningful if I was actually holding his hand. As it is, he seemed to be finding his own way.
    Stairs ruin everything, eh?
  • The voice talent - particularly John Cleese and Stephen Fry - was superb. Reaver is still an absolutely terrific character.
  • Bed springs and humorous music are a good edition to the blackscreen sex.

And, erm, I guess that's about that.

I agree with you on your points after playing a lot. Fable II i thought had some neat ideas and it's one of those few 360 games I played really extensively, but Fable III just goes too far in the one direction and it's become completely unappealing to me.

Also for Fable IV - real communication, no more fucking dancing or farting or any of that shit. I want actual text communication damn you. God it's so lame.

So how unique is the weapon morphing?

Things that effected my sword so far are "prowess with combat magic", "victories over hollow men", and "success against mercenaries".

My hammer transformed because of cruelty to chickens...

neorej

ERMYGERD!
DualShadow said:
Jasper is mute, wtf is this shit :(

And having my first problem with the golden trail not appearing :(

According to the manual, the trail dissapears if you decide to tread outside the given path, but the coders were smart enough to make the trail dissappear if you take half a step off the pre-calculated path. I'm still on the road the trail pointed me to, but due to a small corner I decided to take a little wider than the trail wanted me to, the trail dissappears.

As for the dog... I'm seriously considering renaming him 'Cpt. Obvious' because of pointing out treasures AFTER I start walking straight towards them (sometimes even while I'm opening the damn thing) or 'Retardotron' because he manages to walk 12 million circles over a digspot before he starts digging...

I still enjoy grabbing people and farting in their faces though. That and buying houses, renting them out to the poor, begging people of Albion with rent set to max. It's amazing how much money beggars make these days :lol

HadesGigas said:

Things that effected my sword so far are "prowess with combat magic", "victories over hollow men", and "success against mercenaries".

My GF and I are playing three seperate games of Fable 3, she's got one 'good' hero, I've got an evil one and there's one we're both using for messing about. So far, we've deducted that there's a given set of morphing-reasons, if you meet the criteria of that reason, the game seems to randomly select whether you receive it and for which Hero-weapon (pistol, rifle, hammer or sword). For instance, we got Victory over Hollow Men in only two games, one transformed the handle of my hammer, the other the handle of my rifle. One game awarded me with a virtuous sword-upgrade (note: this is my pure evil Hero :lol) for having a baby, while we've got kids in all three games.

vhfive

HadesGigas said:

my pistol has a green glow because of all the STDs I've gotten :lol

I was thinking of making a list of all the things I'd like improved and changed for Fable 4, but it quickly dawned on me that if they do release another one I won't be buying it.

Really disappointed on how Fable 3 has turned out.

This game is a complete shitshow, top to bottom. A clusterfuck of epic proportions. Let's start with the plot. Repetitive story elements may work for Zelda, but Peter M. hasn't earned the right to rehash tired plotlines from the first two games. How many more Fable games are we going to have to endure that start off with a battle against the mercenaries then the player deciding whether or not spare the chief? Is anyone else bored as fuck by battling Hobbes? Or those two brothers who show up again as ghosts? And more spastic balverines and boring hollow men? Yeah, this shit is definitely taking RPG storytelling to the next level!

The humor is decent--it's fun and dry. This is the only compliment I can come up with for this game. It's just a damned shame that John Cleese stopped talking about halfway through my game. He's funniest part of the game and he's now mute for fuck's sake.

The graphics look good... for a late gen original xbox game. What's that you say, this was made in October 2010 as the Xbox 360 nears the end of it's lifespan? Well that's just goddamned dandy!

It's tough to take the mechanics of this game seriously when all they seem to be is a series of bugs that conspire against me. NPCs freaking out, my dog getting stuck, the stupid hand-holding thing, the laborious sanctuary system, it's all total garbage.

Everyone talks about how easy the combat is... Are you dipshits playing the same game? Every encounter with mercenaries ends up with me dying at the hands of the invincible mercenary mage. Pistols, swords, magic, they do nothing on that invincible sonuvabitch. Every fight turns into a prolonged gangbang and totally takes the fun out of exploring the Fable realm.

What misbegotten madman greenlight this shit? I can't think of another game that's let me down this much. I guess I should've been wary due to the lack of buzz about this game, but still, I really feel like I deserve my $60 refunded to me. When you compare the colossal failure of this game to Rockstar's incredible Red Dead Redemption, you can't help but wonder who in Peter M's circle is enabling him to shit out such a lazy and uninspired game. Goodnight errand prince, this is my last trip to Albion.

The Jasper bug sounds annoying, but having him constantly shill for the Sanctuary shop is equally terrible. Personally, I think the nadir of the game for me was when I realized Cleese's role is basically to heckle you into spending even more money. Stay classy, Lionhead.

The Wise Old Man said:
Everyone talks about how easy the combat is... Every encounter with mercenaries ends up with me dying at the hands of the invincible mercenary mage. Pistols, swords, magic, they do nothing on that invincible sonuvabitch. Every fight turns into a prolonged gangbang and totally takes the fun out of exploring the Fable realm.

I'm having the same issue. Had a friend come into my game last night and combat was awesome. Going it alone sucks ass. The game spawns far too many enemies for simple encounters. I attack one enemy and within seconds I've taken enough hits to almost kill me.

It feels like melee damage has been greatly reduced from the second game and I have no choice but to use the other combat options. Feels like they took away the option to play the game how I want to play it.

Interfectum

I think I'm about halfway through the game
I'm about to overthrow Reeves in Bowerstone as I just made friends with that bubble ass girl... I also just finished the side quest "the game"
(feel free to correct me if I'm more or less than halfway through).

Anyway... uh... the game is still kinda fun combat wise, the sanctuary isn't that annoying and the quest system is pretty cool and gives you a checklist of things to do. Beyond that, though, it's starting to take a nose dive for me. I'll just list out what i hate about this game:

- The towns people interaction is garbage. It completely takes me out of my character when I have to berp, fart or dance with a guard. Also, you can only communicate with fucking one person at a time (which actually has load time) and you have to do a shit-ton of fucking fetch quests. :lol Fucking garbage.

- The glitches... oh my god the glitches. The one great thing about Fable 3 was Cleese and now he's a fucking mute. Also, where the fuck did my bread crumb trail go? And when the breadcrumb trail does show up, why the fuck is it leading me into another zone only to make me turn around and go back??

- The game feels like an shallow XBLA game. I feel like most of the decisions I make or what I do in the game holds very little weight. Would the game be any different if I decided to not marry or make friends or level up my weapons? Doubtful. It has about as much depth as Costume Quest but about 1/10th of the charm.

- The upkeep on the houses is a laughably bad money/time sink. No "repair all" button? Fuck Lionhead, seriously. :lol

- The bizarre lag that plagues the game at every turn. Even the fucking mini-games lag all to hell. This passed MS certification?

Overall my high is coming down from my initial impressions. I once cared about the story but I really have no idea what I'm doing now nor do I care. I'm just completing quests to open up more chests. The game does little to keep you involved in the overall plot and gets way, way too goofy for it's own good.

I also have no idea how the game got released in this state. A major sequel to a major franchise is a glitchy, shallow, bug filled, misdirected mess of a game. Seriously Peter, fucking retire already... you've lost it.

RavenHawk

neorej said:
As for the dog... I'm seriously considering renaming him 'Cpt. Obvious' because of pointing out treasures AFTER I start walking straight towards them (sometimes even while I'm opening the damn thing) or 'Retardotron' because he manages to walk 12 million circles over a digspot before he starts digging...

:lol I named my retriever Captain Obvious about an hour into the game. I especially like when he barks after I have accepted the item in the chest.

ultron87

I was talking to my friend about this game last night, we both agree that is totally messed up in a bunch of ways, yet we both really really enjoy playing it. So strange.

Interfectum

ultron87 said:
I was talking to my friend about this game last night, we both agree that is totally messed up in a bunch of ways, yet we both really really enjoy playing it. So strange.

That's like the biggest mind fuck of them all. I still enjoy playing the game... but it has so many obvious and perplexing design mistakes coupled with a massive amount of glitches that it's becoming increasingly harder to overlook them as I go through it. I can't believe the game scored as high as it did in some circles to be honest.

DY_nasty

RavenHawk said:
:lol I named my retriever Captain Obvious about an hour into the game. I especially like when he barks after I have accepted the item in the chest.
You too? :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You know what I'd like to do? I'd like to color my character's hair black, but as of now I'm unable to do that even though I've unlocked all the dyes available in the game. It's funny, because there are several empty spaces on the shelf where it could go but instead we're expected to pay for it. I know that it's only 80msp and it's a minor thing to bitch about, but I have zero respect for a company that's willing to take away content from the game, something that SHOULD be in the game, just to charge for it later. This is nothing new this gen but it's something I gotta add to my list of problems with this game.

I'm just about done with the revolution part. There are a few nice things to say about this game, it has the occasional moment where it almost works and I enjoy Albion and the presentation, but goddamn it's been a letdown so far. Maybe my tastes in gaming have evolved over the last few years, but this game feels just plain lazy in so many ways. Not just in little ways like the missing animations I mention previously, but they made almost no effort to improve the game over the first two. I still can't get over how much the conversation system sucks, they might as well have just removed it entirely since that wouldn't be much different then what we have right now. I can't imagine how they thought playing patty cake with someone 5 times is better than having the choice of like 2 dozen different emotes. Like a lot of the issues in this game, they didn't just make a questionable change, they completely removed the feature and made left the final product even more shallow and empty than it was in I & II.

When I'm done with this I'll have to replay Fable II and maybe even I to re-evaluate how I feel about this series, but as of now I'd rather play either of them over this one. It feels like an incomplete game, not just because of the laundry list of technical problems, but in almost every way the game plays. It's like they were half way done and said 'fuck it, let's just put it out'. And I'd rather not even get into how weak the morality system is. For a game that's all about "choice", there is hardly any choices to be made. It all boils down to HOLD A FOR GOOD, HOLD X FOR BAD.

I'll still finish the game since I paid full price for it, and there is still some good about it, but I would not recommend this game to anyone until it's at least half the current price. Considering what it could have been, this is definitely the biggest disappointment of the year for me. It's a game that I'm dying to love, but does everything it can to make me hate it.

bummer, dude

Owzers

CitizenCope said:
Not only did I finish the game without dying, I hardly ever came close to dying. Just a little too easy Peter.

Basically every fight for me was a ratio of rolling and casting/shooting depending on the mob size and difficulty level, but Fable isn't set up for strategy. They can't make the battles any harder with how lackluster the combat is, for example, how do you expand combat depth when the game does that slow motion camera pan all the time leaving you shooting at enemies offscreen?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
sillymonkey321 said:
Basically every fight for me was a ratio of rolling and casting/shooting depending on the mob size and difficulty level, but Fable isn't set up for strategy. They can't make the battles any harder with how lackluster the combat is, for example, how do you expand combat depth when the game does that slow motion camera pan all the time leaving you shooting at enemies offscreen?

Can you turn the slo mo kills off? Not only does the animation look shoddy, but I've already seen the same thing happen several times and it's just a distraction at this point. The combat is definitely another downgrade compared to Fable II. I miss the moment of the melee attacks that let you bounce from enemy to enemy. I can deal with it in quick encounters when you're just traveling but the missions that drop you in an arena and force you to fight waves of enemies are just brutally tedious.

Then again, I guess they're better than the OTHER type of mission that have you follow a golden trail then hold a button next to an NPC to win.

sillymonkey321 said:

I hardly used my sword. Just enough to get an achievement:D then I never really used it again.

Owzers

Snuggler said:
Can you turn the slo mo kills off? Not only does the animation look shoddy, but I've already seen the same thing happen several times and it's just a distraction at this point. The combat is definitely another downgrade compared to Fable II. I miss the moment of the melee attacks that let you bounce from enemy to enemy. I can deal with it in quick encounters when you're just traveling but the missions that drop you in an arena and force you to fight waves of enemies are just brutally tedious.

Then again, I guess they're better than the OTHER type of mission that have you follow a golden trail then hold a button next to an NPC to win.

When i started Fable 3 the first thing that went through my head was " sword play is terrible, was it this terrible in Fable 2?" It wasn't until reading this thread that i remembered what was missing: The ability to bounce from enemy to enemy. I gave up on melee-ing and trying to block attacks infavor of pistols/magic and rolling around like crazy inbetween attacks.

Melee: Downgrade
Magic: Big upgrade
Ranged: okay, feels underpowered. Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot " are you not dead yet?" Shoot Shoot FINALLY.

vhfive

sillymonkey321 said:
When i started Fable 3 the first thing that went through my head was " sword play is terrible, was it this terrible in Fable 2?" It wasn't until reading this thread that i remembered what was missing: The ability to bounce from enemy to enemy. I gave up on melee-ing and trying to block attacks infavor of pistols/magic and rolling around like crazy inbetween attacks.

Melee: Downgrade
Ranged: okay, feels underpowered. Shoot Shoot Shoot Shoot " are you not dead yet?" Shoot Shoot FINALLY.
I like the leveling system in 3 way more than 2 (specifically being able to roll and block right off the bat and not having to level up to get there) but as for the combat for me it's.

Melee: Downgrade but not much. It's pretty much the same as 2. I think some of you need to go back and play it.

Range: Small downgade but not because it feels under powered (I think you just have a bad weapon my "Chickenbane is a beast) but beause you lack the ability to aim at certain parts of the body.

After playing a friend's copy of the game, I'm so glad I decided to pick up New Vegas rather than this.. and I had such high hopes for this game. I do like how your character has a voice, but what's the fkn point of it if you're only going to let us dance/fart/give money. And I like how you get to say so little and have to sit through every NPC's dialog with no option to skip. The posters above pretty much nailed all of my other complaints, so I don't think I'll be finishing the story of Fable 3 any time soon, as I still have to finish NV before CoD:BO drops.

Top Bottom