• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Prine

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I will be joining you, old friend. Just reserved the CE from Amazon. :D

LOL the one true king! I await your return, my liege.

Hope the foul-mouthed Scottish Gargoyles are back.

still really on the fence with this one. maybe those G4 vids will help me make up my mind.

GhaleonEB said:
I liked Fable, flawed as it was, and loved Fable II. But everything I've seen and read on Fable III has me thinking I'll skip out. The mechanics in place of a menu sound cumbersome and obnoxous, and the game looked terrible at PAX: poor animation, camera work, AI, explosions, the works. I looked like it needed to cook another six months or more.

It would take a pretty spectacular demo and salvo of reviews to get me on board this one.

how long do you figure it took for the GUI to load? all the vids make it seem practically instantaneous but surely such footage is from the PC build. shame it looked so rough at PAX. really MS should have delayed the game till next year cause lord knows they need to bolster their 2011 releases anyway.

Dabanton

Net_Wrecker said:
I highly enjoyed Fable II for the property owning/renting, the business owning, the family aspects, the atmosphere, etc. The missions were completely secondary to my just running around doing random stuff. As long as Fable III improves those aspects, I'm sure I'll enjoy it again.

Same here the world was so cool to explore i don't play Fable for deep storylines and the way you interact with the world should tell you that. i can spend hours doing something silly and not worry about the main quest for ages.

Also that housing trailer was awesome.

Dabanton

G_Berry said:
Wow, it's out so soon yet I'm so... underhyped?

Well it seems GAF needs megathreads and pages of OMG DAY one to become suitably hyped for any game. Fable always sells well it's a solid game and i'm looking forward to it.

Raide

I am glad Co-op is actually a real mode now for Fable 3. Loved Fable 1 & 2, cannot wait to dive back into Albion with Fable 3. :D

Gravijah

Honestly, this game has basically come out of nowhere for me. Fable II had lots of buildup, hell, even Fable 1, but this came out of nowhere. It always felt as if it was a game that was years away.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm wondering if I should get this on the PC or X360. I've already connected my PC to my HDTV via HDMI, so I will still be sitting on a couch. It really depends on how the X360 controller support is. I don't suppose it's a Steam game either.

stupei

Dabanton said:
Well it seems GAF needs megathreads and pages of OMG DAY one to become suitably hyped for any game. Fable always sells well it's a solid game and i'm looking forward to it.

Supposedly some Gamestops are actually turning people away who want to order the LE because they said they aren't getting enough of them in? I'm sure it'll still end up with surplus at other locations, because that always happens, but this at least implies pre-orders are going well. People outside GAF are hyped, yeah.

The upgraded co-op sounds great, but have they confirmed that the 'bubbles' system from Fable II will be in this too? I thought that worked pretty well before. My sister loves Fable (it's a perfect game for non-hardcore gamers, by the way) and I'm thinking of getting her a Gold subscription code and using this game to introduce her to XBL. :D

Sotha Sil

Got really mixed feelings about this series. The mix of futile/grotesque elements and grim plot points make for a really cool dark humour atmosphere, yet all the farting and belching pretty much kills any empathy I might begin to feel for the characters. The Sim part of the game was already strong in the last iteration, and it's becoming kind of pervasive, it seems...

Can't wait for the first in-depth impressions!

Amir0x said:
yeah, should be here tomorrow. I wasn't going to get it at first (because Fallout 3 didn't do it for me), but the hardcore mind kiiiinda convinced me

yeah hardcore mode fixes the final problem I had with FO3. it adds difficulty in a fun and atmospheric way, as otherwise the harder difficulty levels are not fun - not only is enemy damage enhanced but their health also, so on FO3 you would need to shoot regular enemies like 20 times with a shotgun to the head. difficult in a non fun way. it also prevents the "kill any tough enemy by shooting them in the face while retreating and using cheap Stimpacks" by making healing take time. sneaking is sooo much more useful now.

quick tip for hardcore - increase your survival skill to be able to cook meats.

Prine

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
I don't think they are,but there are gnomes which I think are meant to be similar.

That might be better, actually. As long as they're Scottish, and foul mouthed - thats all that matters.

GhaleonEB said:
I liked Fable, flawed as it was, and loved Fable II. But everything I've seen and read on Fable III has me thinking I'll skip out. The mechanics in place of a menu sound cumbersome and obnoxous, and the game looked terrible at PAX: poor animation, camera work, AI, explosions, the works. I looked like it needed to cook another six months or more.

same. cant believe that I am looking forward to force unleashed 2 more than fable 3 given my experience with the prior versions of both. I am still getting fable 3 in the hope there are positive surprises (like ME2), but this may be the last of the series for me.

Monocle said:
I enjoyed customizing my hero's look in Fable 2 with different articles of clothing and dyes. Any word on how customizable your character is this time around? It looks like the new inventory room lets you swap between only full outfits. I really hope it's still possible to equip and remove individual garments and change their colors so I can recreate my dreadlocked pirate/highwayman dude from the previous game.
Yes, you can mix and match individual parts. What they've shown is just a way for you to quickly select and wear a set of clothing, by walking up to a preset mannequin and selecting to wear what is displayed on it.

For example if you've got two favourite sets of clothing you want to change between frequently, you can set them to two mannequins in the clothing room and then when you want to change between them you just walk up to the set you want to wear and select it.

There are only a few dyes now, but instead of having 15 types of green you just have one bottle of green and you can adjust the hue of it.

WickedLaharl said:
how long do you figure it took for the GUI to load? all the vids make it seem practically instantaneous but surely such footage is from the PC build.
All the footage shown is from the 360 build, and the GUI does load instantly. Also you can use the D-Pad to quickly select rooms in the pause menu, so if you don't want to run around you can just quickly press Up to go to the clothing room.

Net_Wrecker said:
I highly enjoyed Fable II for the property owning/renting, the business owning, the family aspects, the atmosphere, etc. The missions were completely secondary to my just running around doing random stuff. As long as Fable III improves those aspects, I'm sure I'll enjoy it again.
Property management is severely improved. If you rent houses you now also have to pay to keep them maintained. The main change is with the decorating, instead of just pre-set positions for furniture you can put anything down wherever you want.

If you want a house full of torture racks and bookcases full of skulls you can. If you don't care and just want a quick profit you can get Jasper to decorate the house for you using whatever is in your inventory.

Snuggler said:
When you gotta go, you gotta go
To keep sharp in combat, you'll have to eat, sleep and masturbate as well as making sure to use the toilet so that you're not hindered in combat or shit your pants, and lose the respect of your citizens.

info is just a rumor right now
Seriously just remove that from the OP, it's not a rumour, it's a complete load of rubbish. Sleeping and eating is the same as in Fable II (i.e. for advancing time and to modify character stats), the other two don't exist.

vhfive

Azure Phoenix said:
Yes, you can mix and match individual parts. What they've shown is just a way for you to quickly select and wear a set of clothing, by walking up to a preset mannequin and selecting to wear what is displayed on it.

For example if you've got two favourite sets of clothing you want to change between frequently, you can set them to two mannequins in the clothing room and then when you want to change between them you just walk up to the set you want to wear and select it.

There are only a few dyes now, but instead of having 15 types of green you just have one bottle of green and you can adjust the hue of it.

All the footage shown is from the 360 build, and the GUI does load instantly. Also you can use the D-Pad to quickly select rooms in the pause menu, so if you don't want to run around you can just quickly press Up to go to the clothing room.

Property management is severely improved. If you rent houses you now also have to pay to keep them maintained. The main change is with the decorating, instead of just pre-set positions for furniture you can put anything down wherever you want.

If you want a house full of torture racks and bookcases full of skulls you can. If you don't care and just want a quick profit you can get Jasper to decorate the house for you using whatever is in your inventory.

Seriously just remove that from the OP, it's not a rumour, it's a complete load of rubbish. Sleeping and eating is the same as in Fable II (i.e. for advancing time and to modify character stats), the other two don't exist.
sounds awesome can't wait to play it.

Effect

Really looking forward to this. Put off getting Fallout New Vegas partly in favor of getting this. Enjoyed the first two and interested to see just how big the world is this time around. DLC for this should be interesting as well if the world is as big as they say. I could see them releasing a number of dungeons that are spread throughout the world. That is if they haven't already done that as apart of the game.

People say combat is simplistic but that's part of the charm and why I like the game. I found Fable 2 to actually be pretty relaxing. Though NPC AI could be annoying and get in the way at times. Even the ending didn't bother me to much. It actually sort of made sense in the context of the story. Don't really need a huge epic ending to things all the time. I don't think I ever finish the island dlc though. I started it but got distracted by other games. I did actually finish Fable 2 where as I can't say the same for Fable 1. I did go back and start replaying that just to say I finished it.

Just messing around with buying up things or running around the world was fun. I do hope they expanded the family system though. That and I hope the character models have more variety. It was annoying see the same NPCs in all the towns for the most part.

Azure Phoenix said:

actually that does sound awesome and terribly addictive. excite++;

FrankT

Had this pre-ordered for awhile and really looking forward to it, and $20 off and $20 back is always nice of Amazon. Will have to check out those G4 videos.

S1kkZ said:
@azure: do you have the game already? how is the framerate and tearing compared to fable 2?
Nope, I just happen to have watched and studied every single gameplay video and interview available on the internet - even the ones in different languages. A huge amount of info has been leaked out, but it's mostly in interviews by very small unknown websites during events like CES.

Lionhead's forums, though riddled with atrocious posts, were the best place to find all this info. Thankfully it's all compiled in one post so you don't have to go digging around there.

Complete and exhaustive list of Fable 3 info, changes, probably spoilers etc.

stupei

OP should mention that instead of a health bar they've said you're going to carry around the scars you earn in battles in which you've fought poorly.

Definity

Can't wait to play the game. Loved Fable and Fable II and I'm on board for this one.
I do remember though Peter M. talking about what Fable was going to be like. Remember something about chopping a tree down when you were young to see that same tree shorter than other trees when you were an adult. Anybody else remember that? Oh well, I still love your games Pete. Keep cranking them out.

FinFan

I'm hyped as well but there was something I read in OXM that worries me about the co-op. They mention that the story had to be stripped out while playing co-op but they didn't elaborate.

Does anyone know what that means exactly?

Probably just the cutscenes, in a recent interview they made a big deal about being able to play the entire game from start to finish in co-op mode so it's certainly not the main quest line.

lantus

I'm getting kinda hyped for this, which is kind of surprising to me since I didn't really enjoy Fable II as much as I wanted to. Maybe my expectations were too high after playing the first game, but it really wasn't what I was hoping for in a sequel to the original.

I'd really like to try this game out before I decide whether or not to buy it, but that's probably not going to happen for quite sometime after launch. Do we know if this game is going to have obscene amounts of loading screens again?

Milchjon

Man, I loved the Setting of Fable I. I actually finished the game something like 3 times because of it. Fable II was still ok, but some changes, like the bigger environments actually made it less fun for me. Didn't even finish it. And Fable III seems to lose the remaining charm of the world by making it darker, with less vegetation and new settings that don't fit the old style. (Looks like there's some Egyptian setting?!?). I'll still follow this game, maybe the gameplay will warrant a purchase. Still disappointing

-NeoTB1-

lantus said:
I'm getting kinda hyped for this, which is kind of surprising to me since I didn't really enjoy Fable II as much as I wanted to. Maybe my expectations were too high after playing the first game, but it really wasn't what I was hoping for in a sequel to the original.

This was why I didn't really appreciate the game that much on my first play-through. I went back and purchased it a few months back, and I enjoyed the game so much more this time around. Now that I know what to expect from this series, I am going into III with a very different set of expectations. I wouldn't necessarily say "lower", but just... different. I'm looking forward to it.

sweetvar26 said:
So this time are we getting true online Co-Op or is it the shit one like the last time where your loot doesn't carry over?
Co-op is fully fleshed out. You use your own hero and your actions affect your moral standing in their world, I believe they said loot you obtain is kept and you can marry your co-op partner (which joins both of your finances together) and have children with them. The camera is also no longer shared.

There is also offline co-op which is basically the same, but the camera is linked ala. Fable II.

Dead

well not really...yet
Those videos just sold me on the game.

Though I wonder how long the game will be. Wasn't Fable 2 pretty short?

Top Bottom