• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Salz01

The negative comments about the graphics all but kill it for me. Especially when they have such good art boards and such. The graphical bugs in the 2nd one just annoyed me beyond belief. I dont want to seem like a whiny baby about lower graphics, but when I spend 60 bucks on something, I want it looking good. (& play good too)

neorej

ERMYGERD!
derFeef said:
Okay thanks, that was what I read already. Does the gameplay also change or do you still run around Fable-style?

Gameplay changes. You can still run around Fable-style, but IIRC you can delegate tedious quests to your loyal subjects. The outcome will be based on their skills and personality. Sending a n00b evil dude to save a farm from bandits will probably end up in him trying to help the bandits... and failing.

TheOddOne

Molyneux: I’ve never made a great game
Microsoft’s development legend says he yearns to make a 5m+ seller and join the ‘triple-A club’

Peter Molyneux is a surprisingly critical man. Fable II is a great game, it has sold over 3.5 million units at retail and has a Metacritic score of 89. But during an interview with MCV, Molyneux highlights elements of it as ‘crap’, ‘gimmicky,’ and ‘a terrible crime’.

And he invites criticism from his fans, too. He goes on gaming forums under a pseudonym, he tells us, to spark debate. Why be so humble?

“It’s not humility,” he insists. “It’s the reality and the truth. I am a designer and I shouldn’t stand up and say everything is wonderful and shiny and great and we made the greatest game ever, because we didn’t. Being inspired by your mistakes is one way of breaking into that triple-A club. It will always be my consistent dream to break into that club. I’ve made a lot of good games, but never a great game.”

Never made a great game? What about Black & White? Populous? Dungeon Keeper?

“I’ve never made a game that people will put in their Top Five list of all-time greats,” he says. “You might consider one of mine, but I don’t think you’d put it in.”

Molyneux won’t rest until he breaks into that Top Five. He keeps referencing this ‘triple-A club’ – an elite group of games that includes the likes of Halo and Call of Duty, and he wants Fable to be a part of it. To do that the game needs to sell, a lot.

“That club is five million units,” he says. “Once you can sell that many, you can get into that elite group.”
:lol

Well I hope he never reaches that Triple A Club, because every game from the companies he has worked with are in my eyes more interesting and enjoyable than the Halo and Call of Duty games.

Well, except for Black & White 2 maybe.

Hixx

2San said:
Sounds good. Been w8ing for a good co-op RPG, it's been a while since the last one.

Should have said didn't have compelling stories. It's been a while since I read the reviews, never played the games mind you.

The first one had a pretty decent story, I thought. Second was borderline non-existant... I can't even remember what it was about.

Man, buddy of mine has a review copy just sitting in his office, that will be reviewed (and probably played) by no one. He's at a larger non-gaming media outlet. If I cared enough I'd try to get it from him...

Edit - he's mailing it to me.

Double D

I was LTTP with Fable 2 and actually played through the entirety of it in a day. It was one of those weekends where my wife & kids went out of time and I didn't put on pants for the duration. Basically what I'm saying is I really don't remember even playing it.

Vik_Vaughn said:
I was LTTP with Fable 2 and actually played through the entirety of it in a day. It was one of those weekends where my wife & kids went out of time and I didn't put on pants for the duration. Basically what I'm saying is I really don't remember even playing it.

You're better off for not remembering.

That's your mind protecting your soul.

ultron87

Did Fable 2 have a final boss battle? I honestly don't remember anything about the end of that game besides
Reaver shooting the evil guy if you let him keep talking. And then getting to choose between two shitty choices and getting your dog back.

So hopefully this one ends more interestingly. :lol

fernoca

I don't mind the comments about the visuals. I like what I see; so I'm fine with that.

If anything it seems to look more clean than Fable II, plus the world is bigger and more varied and even changes depending on how good or evil you are. Plus the previous games, even when looked great were never visual monsters and I didn't magically expected this one to be. I just want more Fable and more stuff. :lol

Heck Theresa and Reaver are in it, so I'm happy with that! :)

rvy

Banned
As long as the guy doesn't slide around anymore, like in Fable II, I'm fine with the graphics. That was my biggest issue.

hetchi

a Master Ninja said:
This sounds like a bigger pain than the dolls in Fable 2, but potentially more useful in that they are probably can be equipped and used.
dEEH4.png

We'll have to work out some trading, GAF.

This. Would make life so much easier especially if there is not a trading screen..

Dead

well not really...yet
Free day 1 DLC for purchasers of new copy:

Microsoft and Lionhead clearly want to deter you from grabbing a second-hand copy of Fable 3 with the offer of free in-game treats to those who buy the game new.

All new copies of the game will contain a single-use Xbox Live code that will grant its user access to a number of "exclusive" items, including a Raise Dead potion, Slow Time potion, the Scot costume, a Highlander tattoo set and a Red Setter dog skin for your pet.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271120

Hmm...little concerned about the second half of the game comments. I absolutely loved Fable 2, but the thing that I'm most excited about in Fable III is this be the revolutionary, become the good king or next tyrant angle.

I'm still hyped. I think I loved Fable 2 so much is because I went in with zero expectations. I find Albion just so charming.

Also, anyone get the felling Peter is trying to use reverse psychology way too hard here. Grow some balls man. There are people who actually like your games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm still scanning the internets for Fable III details and I came across this, it's news to me

First, some background on the latest installment in the popular fantasy series. Fable III takes place 50 years after the end of Fable II. You are the son or daughter of your Hero from Fable II, who became the King or Queen of the kingdom of Albion (in a neat trick, Fable III automatically matches the gender of the former ruler with the character you played in Fable II, or chooses randomly if you’re new to Fable.).

It's from site called the torch online, supposedly they got to play the game for four hours.

If this is in the game, it must be able to recognize your Fable II file. Sounds like I'll have to finish up my Fable II replay soon.

My pre-order has been charged to my card already, which means shipping is soon to follow... maybe because this Monday is a holiday here, they'll send it early? Here's hoping. :D

Seems like they're focusing so much on story and making you feel like you're caught up in everything that the actual gameplay is an afterthought. It's like the mantra is to make the meat of the game as simple and unobtrusive a vehicle as possible so the player can just breeze through the events.

Mrbob

This game seems so under the radar right now.

Level 5 review said:
-Game last half is much worse than 1st half, and ending feels to broad.

So the part after you become the king isn't very well thought out? Too bad this is the aspect I was looking forward to in the game.

The 20 dollar amazon code is tempting, but this game is going to sit on the shelf with New Vegas here.

Raide

Kafel said:
You're too hard on yourself Peter, and sales don't make a "Triple A" game.

Dungeon Keeper is in my Top 5, Pete.

Tell him to get his ass working on Black and White: Kinect Edition.

LQX

First Crackdown 2 now Fable 3 seems to be step down in graphics compared to the previous entry. What the fuck is that? It should be mandatory a new entry in a series look better than the previous. I'm not really a graphics whore but I hate hearing shit like this especially when the graphics in the series was not that amazing in the first place. It's like MS first party studioes are being told to cut corners.

leng jai

LQX said:
First Crackdown 2 now Fable 3 seems to be step down in graphics compared to the previous entry. What the fuck is that? It should be mandatory a new entry in a series look better than the previous. I'm not really a graphics whore but I hate hearing shit like this especially when the graphics in the series was not that amazing in the first place. It's like MS first party studioes are being told to cut corners.

Especially when the game its stepping down from wasn't exactly a graphical powerhouse in the first place. I mean come on, Fable 2 had great art but the engine was already sub par 2 years ago.

Red

HixxSAFC said:
The first one had a pretty decent story, I thought.
Ugh no. Predictable set up and random final battle that sets up an antagonist in about five minutes more than it took FFIX to set up its last boss.

I preferred the less heavy handed story telling in the second game.

As for the graphics issues: I'm fine with the trade off if it means more expansive environments. Art style has always been Fable's strong suit, anyway.

I'll be getting the PC version regardless so the issue is moot.

Alucrid

Banned
Domino Theory said:
My Villager code doesn't seem to work. Everytime I enter it in and click Redeem, nothing happens. :(

Same with mine, now I can't even enter a code nor does it show that I have a villager made. Might call MS.

Edit: It's not even letting me design a character now. :lol

LQX said:

I'd say as good, not better.

LQX said:

Well, it was pretty apparent even when Fable 2 released that the engine was a bit behind the times. If a slight drop in quality is required to support larger areas then I'm happy with the compromise.

Crackdown 2 is a different kettle of fish. Didn't they only have 9 months to program that game? Seriously, 9 months?!

hiryu

Can't wait for this. I preordered from Amazon. I'm kind of disappointed there isn't some easily exploitable mini game that came out to let me start Fable 3 with lots of gold.

Mr. Sam

Snuggler said:
I'm still scanning the internets for Fable III details and I came across this, it's news to me

It's from site called the torch online, supposedly they got to play the game for four hours.

If this is in the game, it must be able to recognize your Fable II file. Sounds like I'll have to finish up my Fable II replay soon.
I'm not too optimistic. Seems to me like it'll have very limited uses. I'd love for it to have more though - I created an awesome tyrant of a king in the second one. Maxed out his stats and everything,

fernoca

Snuggler said:

Interesting if truth, though weird.
My character is gay, and has no children. Adoption?

I'm planning on killing him (all he does is bitch and call me a murderer, becuase I killed someone by accident) and marry a woman anyway; so I'll see. :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mr. Sam said:
I'm not too optimistic. Seems to me like it'll have very limited uses. I'd love for it to have more though - I created an awesome tyrant of a king in the second one. Maxed out his stats and everything,

Yeah, definitely. For a series that puts so much emphasis on choice and consequence, it would make so much sense for your Fable II events to carry over especially since it does have some relation to III.
Oh well. It would be nice but it would probably just be superficial stuff anyways.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I seem to remember a PC version of this being announced? Am I on crack or is that still coming?

Crazetex

W - What? PC to TBA 2011? So much for Christmas. :<

Oh well. If it's like the first Fable, I'll forget about it for a few years, buy it when it's cheap and love it. Albion is just so easy to love! It helps that I'm a whore for European accents.

a Master Ninja said:
This sounds like a bigger pain than the dolls in Fable 2, but potentially more useful in that they are probably can be equipped and used.
dEEH4.png

We'll have to work out some trading, GAF.

I'll be happy to join the gaf weapons market.

Something still isn't clicking with me for Fable III. I've had money down on it since the summertime, but even though it's less than a week away, I lack any enthusiasm for it whatsoever. Kind of a shame because Fable II charmed the hell out of me, despite some of its iffy game-play choices. All I've ever wanted with the series is to be able to become a famous hero when my character is young, and to retire to a cabin up on a snowy mountain as he gets old.

How can Peter ever hope this game will sell 5 million when Microsoft isn't advertising it as hard as Fable 2?

I expect it to sell a little under Fable 2.

Top Bottom