• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

fernoca

Well, finished my third playthrough (which originally was my second till a friend wanted to play the entire game in coop: #1 was pure good male character-solo, #2 was same pure-good male character but in coop with a friend, #3 was pure-evil female character-solo).

It's obviously easier being evil and it brings more money. What surprised me were the changes to the world. Nearly all have new puzzles and completely new areas to explore with chests with either money or exclusive weapons/clothing.

Some of the changes, at the top of my head:
1. Aurora:
Becomes more modern, better architecture, rails, mines, buildings.

2. Millfields:
Becomes more like minefield. Completely drianed, no water. Terrain's all dry. A big mine with miners working all over the place and hating you too.

3. Dark Sanctum:
The equivalent of the dark temple from II. You have to help build and open it. You can take people to be killed again.

There are some more like Brightwood getting
more inundated with dirty water
, the shelter becoming a
brothel
and so on.

Overall my favorite and most played Fable game so far. 50 hours and counting, since another friend got the game recently and he wants to play coop. :p

I always save my evil play through for second since it always seems to be more fun :lol

Also I noticed there was no save slots so I can only have 1 save? wtf if true Lionhead.

Put about 10 hours into this, and... I'm done.

I thought Fable 1 was decent at best, but really enjoyed Fable 2. Fable 3 is just a bland, nearly broken mess of a game. Everything I have a problem with has already been mentioned countless times, so instead of beating a dead horse I'll just leave it at that.

I certainly won't be picking up the next installment if it's anything like this one.

fernoca

DualShadow said:
I always save my evil play through for second since it always seems to be more fun :lol

Also I noticed there was no save slots so I can only have 1 save? wtf if true Lionhead.
There are 5 save slots. The game automatically loads your latest one. You have to go to Game Management, Load and choose it if you want to play an specific one.

Lostconfused said:
It was exactly the same way in Fable 2.
Fable II also had multiple save slots, I think 3.
EDIT: 5 cards = 5 save slots in Fable II. 5 statues = 5 saves slots in Fable III.

Starting a new game creates a new save slot, was like that in II same in III.

DualShadow said:
It was exactly the same way in Fable 2.
NaughtyCalibur said:
I certainly won't be picking up the next installment if it's anything like this one.
That's what I thought about Fable 2.

Blueblur1

Man, I've been forcing myself to play this. I haven't touched it for a few days though. Apparently, I'm near the end so I might push myself to finish it tonight. Ugh.

eshwaaz

DualShadow said:
A needlessly restrictive design choice, and it's made ten times as bad by the sloppy, buggy nature of the game - no way to have a backup save in case the game auto-saves you into a game-breaking situation.

Effect

There is an area below Silverpine on the map, near the water. Anyone know how to get to that?

Finish the main story yesterday. While he ending battle was nice and a good presentation I wish it was longer. By the time it was over I had a "that's it?" feeling. The section in Aurora is another area I wish was a LOT longer.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Spirit of Jazz said:
I salute you Fable trolls you are trying way too hard especially with this misinformation. Going onto new game was a real tough one to figure out :(

Seriously, all you have to do is hit new game.

On a side note, sucks you can't use heroes from the same xbl account in local multiplayer. Wanted to give my evil chick some weapons and cash:(

Warnen

Effect said:
There is an area below Silverpine on the map, near the water. Anyone know how to get to that? .

Go to millfeild and do the quest were u give a dude 750 gold to rebuild the bridge. Go back there later and cross it.

AlexMogil

Warnen said:
Seriously, all you have to do is hit new game.

On a side note, sucks you can't use heroes from the same xbl account in local multiplayer. Wanted to give my evil chick some weapons and cash:(
I was hoping I could hit up someone on here to gift items to and then have them gifted back. Xbox bag of holding of a sort.

Man, kinda weird how little there is to do with money post-ending. Missing the ridiculously expensive buildings you could buy in Fable II that had quests attached to them. Only one that seems to be like that is the fort, and it's just replaying the minigame...

Or could have at least kept going with judgements once the game ends. Lame how the king suddenly has no responsibilities.

HadesGigas said:
Lame how the king suddenly has no responsibilities.

That might explain why Lionhead
did their damnedest to make sure the player barely has any citizens left when the game ends. No need to design and code more "King" responsibilities when everyone in the Kingdom is dead.

The Chosen One said:
That might explain why Lionhead
did their damnedest to make sure the player barely has any citizens left when the game ends. No need to design and code more "King" responsibilities when everyone in the Kingdom is dead.

I saved everyone though!

Also weird how post-game a few new quests in Aurora appear. Things that probably would have helped make that area feel a bit more meaty if they had happened when you were there the first time.

Jordan

I have played the game through and am at the point of saving the place. I wanted to keep all my promises but I made no money whats-so-ever whilst playing through. Is there anyway of keeping the promises without everybody dying, or do you have to be evil to actually save everybody?

Good game, just very buggy.

Jordan91 said:
I have played the game through and am at the point of saving the place. I wanted to keep all my promises but I made no money whats-so-ever whilst playing through. Is there anyway of keeping the promises without everybody dying, or do you have to be evil to actually save everybody?

Good game, just very buggy.

Owning shops/renting homes. Or playing a lot of lute solos...

Jordan

I have done a lot of the lute solos then been buying shops and renting out homes. But I don't see how I'm supposed to make that amount of money. Especially if I'm keeping every promise.

Jordan91 said:
I have done a lot of the lute solos then been buying shops and renting out homes. But I don't see how I'm supposed to make that amount of money. Especially if I'm keeping every promise.

If you own every single store in the world and the more expensive houses, you should be all right. Also you don't need to rush from judgement to judgement, go do some sidequest stuff in between, you earn gold from profits/rent every like 5 minutes of gameplay.

Nah, it just gets added to your personal treasury. You just let it build up a bit then donate it to the kingdom's treasury.

You can actually go into any shop you own and take some extra gold out of the cash registers too, if you want.

Jordan

HadesGigas said:
Nah, it just gets added to your personal treasury. You just let it build up a bit then donate it to the kingdom's treasury.

You can actually go into any shop you own and take some extra gold out of the cash registers too, if you want.

Oh right, thanks :)

Fewr said:
Is there any upcoming DLC for this? If so, will we have the chance to
make more decisions as king?

There was DLC accidently put on Xbox.com the day the game came out called Understone. It involves a quest at Reaver Industries and also adds the option to play the Wheel of Misfortune whenever you want and adds a shooting gallery to the mercenary base.

Meier

Question about decisions as a King:

Is it possible to be the good guy on all decisions and still ultimately save your kingdom? I kept the child labor and didn't raise guard presence but accepted the other stuff so I am down $750k. Going for the diamond now but nervous I won't get near $6.75m I need to prevent casualties.

btw, I am enjoying the game but ultimately have a few complaints. Biggest is that for me melee combat just seems pointlessly hard. I pretty much stick to spells and guns as that feels like it's the safest bet. I did just swap from a sword to a hammer or axe or something but haven't fought since doing so.

Lothars

Meier said:
Question about decisions as a King:

Is it possible to be the good guy on all decisions and still ultimately save your kingdom? I kept the child labor and didn't raise guard presence but accepted the other stuff so I am down $750k. Going for the diamond now but nervous I won't get near $6.75m I need to prevent casualties.

btw, I am enjoying the game but ultimately have a few complaints. Biggest is that for me melee combat just seems pointlessly hard. I pretty much stick to spells and guns as that feels like it's the safest bet. I did just swap from a sword to a hammer or axe or something but haven't fought since doing so.

To answer your question yes, I did it in my playthrough.

Cheech

Spirit of Jazz said:
I salute you Fable trolls you are trying way too hard especially with this misinformation. Going onto new game was a real tough one to figure out :(

I don't know, man. I was having an absolute blast with Fable 3 until I got screwed by the end game. I was so pissed, I have no desire to play this ever again. Compare to Fable 1/2, which I went back to again and again after I finished my first playthrough.

The irony is that it wouldn't even have bothered me so much if I had been able to have even one additional save.

In short, fuck this game. I still have Fable 1/2 in my collection, but this one is trade flotsam.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
To be fair, there's a load screen that popped up fairly often that told you how much you had in your treasury and how manu casualties to expect. I was annoyed after my first playthrough myself, but then I realized how many obvious hints and reminders I got during the game. Your butler (not Jasper) constantly reminds you how badly you need money for the treasury, while also telling you that you can transfer your personal funds to it. Plus the load screen explicitly telling you how many people will die. If you stay in the red, if you don't get on the plus side, 6,5 million lives will be lost. It's a bloody obvious clue, that.

If you paid attention to everything in the game (including the load screens), you should do alright. The only problem was the "121 days left is really the last chance to prepare" thingy.

I went for a new play-through though, and every decision was a "good" decision. Including the alcohol thingy, which annoys me, because apparently, nobody in the Fable universe is able to control themselves, and suddenly everyone is a drunk alcoholic puking everywhere.

Cheech

StarEye said:
If you paid attention to everything in the game (including the load screens), you should do alright. The only problem was the "121 days left is really the last chance to prepare" thingy.

Yeah. And it's a BIG thingy. Because I had tons of real estate that was accruing rent, and my plan was to cash it all in to put me up over what I needed. I was going to easily make up the rest spending a few minutes doing jobs (which I had maxed out just for this reason).

But, no, denied. The game just ripped it out of my hands, and that was that. There really is no excuse for that kind of design. I was so pissed when I realized that the end game popped up out of nowhere, I almost shut the console off. Only because one of the characters said "it feels like a dream" a couple times was I hopeful that it was just a sequence designed to let you know the endgame was coming.

When Fallout NV for the 360 ate all my saves, I wasn't this pissed.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I must say though, you get easily pissed. Because, while this was an annoyance and bad game design, every Fable game is basically made for multiple playthroughs. I know a lot of people don't do that, but it's really obvious - if you want to experience everything, you MUST play it through at least twice.

It's not like the end of the world. It's a short game. Besides, if you DIDN'T fall into this trap, you would perhaps be curious to know what would happen if you didn't raise the money.

Anyway, a post on the EG forums said that people start coming back eventually - so it's not like it's a lost cause.

Owzers

StarEye said:
I must say though, you get easily pissed. Because, while this was an annoyance and bad game design, every Fable game is basically made for multiple playthroughs. I know a lot of people don't do that, but it's really obvious - if you want to experience everything, you MUST play it through at least twice.

It's not like the end of the world. It's a short game. Besides, if you DIDN'T fall into this trap, you would perhaps be curious to know what would happen if you didn't raise the money.

Anyway, a post on the EG forums said that people start coming back eventually - so it's not like it's a lost cause.

Bolded because it's funny and is actually the end of the world.

They added the new Highlander costume which is free to owners of the game, enter the code that comes with the game.

Its cool that finally your female character can wear an actual skirt (technically a kilt bit looks same) versus just shorts and pants :D

Warnen

Funny, when I played as a good guy most of the good found (ones in chest not shit in stores) legendary weapons I got were evil weapons, that wanted me to kill villagers, drag em to work and do evil expersions. Now that I am bad all the weapons I am getting want me to drag people to jail and make friends.

Warnen

Question, how much cash u need at end if you make all the bad choices? Not dealing with rent this time and I know what to do so money isn't rolling in as fast as the 1st time. I want to save everyone but I want to be a dick too!

fernoca

Warnen said:
Question, how much cash u need at end if you make all the bad choices? Not dealing with rent this time and I know what to do so money isn't rolling in as fast as the 1st time. I want to save everyone but I want to be a dick too!
By breaking all the promises and being a dick while in the throne, you (the Treasury) end with around
4.5 million
. That's not including the money you get from
the Balverine statue and the Diamond from Aurora
since adding those things to the Treasury counts as a good act, so you can choose to stay with the money to continue the "evil ways". Adding those adds around
1 million more to the 4.5
. :p

So aside that, you need between
2-3 million
if you want to save everyone, on top of being evil.

Mastperf

I would just like to say FUCK YOU to Lionhead and Microsoft for actually taking the black dye out of the game and selling it as dlc. Fuck you deeply, fuck you dry and fuck you as your dog watches on in disgust.

Mastperf said:
I would just like to say FUCK YOU to Lionhead and Microsoft for actually taking the black dye out of the game and selling it as dlc. Fuck you deeply, fuck you dry and fuck you as your dog watches on in disgust.

You can make black pretty easy by just choosing the darkest shade of most colors. Some clothes it doesn't work right on though I guess.

fernoca

Yep.
Gray, darker is black in a few areas like boots and gloves and in some clothing, mostly trims. Though it seems to depend mostly on were you're applying it. On the hair, it stays gray.

Top Bottom