• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Articate said:
Oh, god, people. Give it a rest. It's a ridiculous bug. I was equally upset. It has nothing to do with my character's skin color. If I played a black character, I'd be equally upset if I got a white kid with my black wife.

I think I would laugh. I certainly wouldn't get pissed.

I'm not saying that guy and his girl are racist, but the way he described the situation, it seems someone might have some subconscious racial hang-ups. :lol Dumping an NPC child into an oprhanage simply because of the color of its skin is cold! :lol

Anyway, I'm still going through my second play-through, though I'm annoyed that some of my achievements are being recorded.

Giard

Lunchbox said:
hitler would be proud

It's. a. video. game.
You really think I would do that if I had a kid with a different skin color than mine because of recessive genes and it was proven I was the biological father?

Hey....don't tell anyone...but in GTA4, I killed like 1000 people. These men/women had families. What a ruthless bastard I am. Children left alone in their homes, wondering "Where's daddy? Where's mommy?". They'll probably be moved to foster care, some of the foster adults might be abusive and ruin their social lives forever. And I did it for fun.

Neuromancer said:
It happens in real life too, so it's not a bug!

Yeah I know all about it, but the chances are so low of actually happening. So far this has happened on both kids she's had (Fable 2 + 3). What are the probabilities of that happening in real life? Something like 0.0000000000001%.

The Chosen One said:
I think I would laugh. I certainly wouldn't get pissed.

I'm not saying that guy and his girl are racist, but the way he described the situation, it seems someone might have some subconscious racial hang-ups. :lol Dumping an NPC child into an oprhanage simply because of the color of its skin is cold! :lol
Read my post. I did find it funny. She was mad because it happened to her for the second time in 2 games.

Articate said:
Oh, god, people. Give it a rest. It's a ridiculous bug. I was equally upset. It has nothing to do with my character's skin color. If I played a black character, I'd be equally upset if I got a white kid with my black wife.

THANK YOU. Again, this is not the first time this has happened, should have been fixed for Fable 3.

I have a question, and hopefully someone can help. :lol

My girlfriend came over and started playing Fable 3 on my 360, with her recovered Gamertag. She left this morning without copying her save file to a flash drive or anything.

Is it possible to...copy/move the save file from my 360, to a flash drive I have, then send her the files to her, have her put them on HER flash drive, and play her save off of that...?

I beat this game yesterday, and geez, what a mess Fable is now. If I understand it correctly, Peter Molyneux hasn´t been as involved in this as the others (they have a different "Head of Fable franschise" now), which might explain why all the trademark features of Fable fail so hard in this game.

*Choices
*Morality standing
*Character morphing.
*Interaction and expressions with NPC´s.

This is without a doubt the biggest dissapointment in gaming I have had since Republic: The Revolution. 5-6/10 would be a fair score for this game.

CecilRousso said:
I beat this game yesterday, and geez, what a mess Fable is now. If I understand it correctly, Peter Molyneux hasn´t been as involved in this as the others (they have a different "Head of Fable franschise" now), which might explain why all the trademark features of Fable fail so hard in this game.

*Choices
*Morality standing
*Character morphing.
*Interaction and expressions with NPC´s.

This is without a doubt the biggest dissapointment in gaming I have had since Republic: The Revolution. 5-6/10 would be a fair score for this game.

So far I'm liking it. But then again, I couldn't play more than 20 minutes of the first Fable(extremely boring), and I didn't even touch Fable 2.

Ajemsuhgao said:
So far I'm liking it. But then again, I couldn't play more than 20 minutes of the first Fable(extremely boring), and I didn't even touch Fable 2.

It´s good enough if you need something to spend a couple of hours with, but it´s not a really good game in any other aspect than art direction.

Walshicus

Articate said:
Started another character. Whacked off a person in a town, then the guards came after me, so I whacked them off, too. Then more came and I did them off, too. And more. And more. Now I have to stand in Mistpeak valley for half an hour, because I can't progress the story because I can't buy the tattoos to do the next quest. Awesome.
I assume you mean you killed them, rather than gave them hand jobs?

I'm buying a lot of property in the game but finding the "House Condition" mechanic a bit confusing. Is there any impact on not maintaining it? Can I automate that process? Does lowering the rent keep the condition up?

Sir Fragula said:
I'm buying a lot of property in the game but finding the "House Condition" mechanic a bit confusing. Is there any impact on not maintaining it? Can I automate that process? Does lowering the rent keep the condition up?
Each property's condition decreases a bit each time you collect rent. When it reaches 0% you won't receive rent until you repair it. The game will let you know when there are houses in a town that are no longer producing rent and that you need to go repair it. There is no way to automate the process, you have to repair them individually using the map or on foot. It's a big waste of time with no point, something you have to put up with if you want to be earning max income.

It's worth noting that shops don't have a condition mechanic and you never have to repair them.

elwes

Aquavelvaman said:
Each property's condition decreases a bit each time you collect rent. When it reaches 0% you won't receive rent until you repair it. The game will let you know when there are houses in a town that are no longer producing rent and that you need to go repair it. There is no way to automate the process, you have to repair them individually using the map or on foot. It's a big waste of time with no point, something you have to put up with if you want to be earning max income.

It's worth noting that shops don't have a condition mechanic and you never have to repair them.

In my experience, the game only lets you know that towns have stopped producing rent once. After that, it's up to you to figure it out yourself.

elwes said:
In my experience, the game only lets you know that towns have stopped producing rent once. After that, it's up to you to figure it out yourself.
Interesting. My system was to repair every building in a town at one time, so each building in a town had a similar range of condition %. Whenever I noticed one building at below 20% I just repaired everything in the town so I only missed rent a couple times.

adizzy615

Neo Member
Aquavelvaman said:

In my playthrough, I sold all my houses except the expensive ones in Millfields and only bought shops because repairing houses became a hassle.

That said still have loads of fun with the game.

Walshicus

adizzy615 said:
In my playthrough, I sold all my houses except the expensive ones in Millfields and only bought shops because repairing houses became a hassle.

That said still have loads of fun with the game.
Interesting idea... May try that once I've bought every shop in the game.

Giard

Am I the only one who feels that the best looking locations in this game (and Fable II) are behind Demon Doors? They always look really cool, yet you can't explore them at all.

I wish they would make similar-looking dungeons or something.

NIGHT-

I really don't want to dig through this thread. But whats the general opinion around here? I liked Fable 2 quite a bit so would I enjoy this? Should I wait for a cheap price drop?

Giard

NIGHT- said:
I really don't want to dig through this thread. But whats the general opinion around here? I liked Fable 2 quite a bit so would I enjoy this? Should I wait for a cheap price drop?
IMO wait for a price drop. It's a good game, but they made so many disappointing choices compared to Fable II.

NIGHT- said:

As Lionhead that has bought Fable 1-3 on day one, and really liked Fable 1 and 2, I would say wait for a big price drop and don´t have any big expectations. It´s a very uneven game, with some of the worst design choices I have ever seen in a game.

Blueblur1

les papillons sexuels said:
is that a complaint or do you miss hearing "welcome to the sanctuary" every time you pause?
That last part was just me venting my frustration with the entire game. :p

Every time I play I always see something that could have been better and it frustrates me to no end.

Well I finally got around to playing Fable 3, spent about 4 hours with it and to be honest I'm not impressed. Despite being hyped for the game my expectations were down to earth, I wanted little more than Fable 2.5 and yet even those modest expectations haven't been met.

1: The dog is useless. It's AI was a bit iffy in Fable 2 but this dog has even worse AI than before. Most of the time it ends up standing still while you run off into the sunset or spinning around in circles, if you can finally get the dog to move it'll just walk past active dig spots and ignore chests right in your line of sight.

2: The interface is garbage, even the simplest tasks have become time consuming and complex. Messing around creating outfits was one of my favourite parts of Fable 2, but the system is so confusing now that I can't even be bothered.

3: With the removal of time stop and magic tier system I no longer feel like I have any options in combat. I can't slow time long enough to charge up a massive area spell or teleport behind a foe as soon as he starts blocking to continue my assault. All I seem to be doing is hammering X or rolling away and spamming the rifle until the enemies close in again.

4: Since when did Lionhead license the Codemasters Urine Filter™?

5: Considering they made such a big deal about John Cleese playing the part of Jasper, I haven't once heard him utter a single line that has been even mildly humorous.

6: I don't feel like I have any choice in what I do. By withholding all the basic gameplay features it just feels like I'm being dragged kicking and screaming to get on with the main quest. I understand Lionhead felt that people had too much thrown at them straight away in Fable 2 and subsequently ignored a lot of it, but quite frankly this system encourages people to ignore the content even more. By the time the game finally deems that I'm worthy of farting in a villager's face I'm not going to care.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Giard said:
Am I the only one who feels that the best looking locations in this game (and Fable II) are behind Demon Doors? They always look really cool, yet you can't explore them at all.

That's exactly how I felt, too. So much creativity and lush colours behind the demon doors. If only the rest of the game had that kind of charm.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Giard said:

They remind me of the kind of stuff in Kameo. :)

Giard said:

The one
that was on the moon
was awesome. I would love a crazy DLC adventure like that even if it didn't make any sense in the fiction.

fernoca

NIGHT- said:
General opinion is the same as the other two games: Approach with caution.
Some love it, some hate it, some enjoy it, some prefer II, some prefer I, and so on.

In my case, I've enjoyed all Fable games so far and this is my most played Fable game at the moment. But backlash and negative opinions are the order of the day when it comes to Fable games, so in III is nothing new. There's no more hate, there no less hate, is the same, more negative opinions and more positive opinions, because there are more people around forums; than there were back on II and way more than back on I.

My advice? If you can rent it and play it for a few hours then do it. If you can get it for relatively cheap, that too. But decide for yourself in the end. Like the latest friend of mine that got the game; he rented it, he liked what he played for a few hours, he bought it.

Fable games are one of the most polarizing series when it comes to reviews and impressions. :lol
Either some are going to paint it as the worst game ever made in history, some are going to say is darn good, others that is the game of the year. Then others will say "get it if you liked Fable II", but what if you didn't liked II?, that means that you won't like III? Because there are people that hated II, but like III. And the list goes on.

So, good luck. :p

Can someone answer a question for me without spoilers? Once you become king can you still do sidequests like buying properties and such? I haven't played in about a week or so because of vacation and picking up Black Ops, but when I last played I had just left Aurora. The impression I got when I returned was that was going to be the point of no return before becoming king. Am I just jumping to conclusions?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
GillianSeed79 said:
Can someone answer a question for me without spoilers? Once you become king can you still do sidequests like buying properties and such? I haven't played in about a week or so because of vacation and picking up Black Ops, but when I last played I had just left Aurora. The impression I got when I returned was that was going to be the point of no return before becoming king. Am I just jumping to conclusions?

Yes after you become king there is time to do missions, many missions don't open till after you beat the main quest too.

As for the dog AI, the dog didn't seem to dumb my 1st play thru but my 2nd it was getting stuck on everything. Maybe it because I knew where to go the 2nd time and I was going slow the 1st but i don't know.

fernoca

GillianSeed79 said:
Yes and no.
No big spoilers, but spoilers for some so:
When you return from Aurora,
you dethrone your brother and then become King/Queen. From that moment on you, have "365 days" to fullfill your promises. You can still do quests and buy houses, get married, explore around and everything else. The catch is , that there are no 365 days per se. Days jump (365, 349, etc), and the final day is Day 121. They key to save money and continue doing stuff, without continuing to the next day; is to not do the things from that day's schedule. Only do them, when you're ready to move to the "next day". You can do many after you finish the game.

Xapati

Aquavelvaman said:
The one
that was on the moon
was awesome. I would love a crazy DLC adventure like that even if it didn't make any sense in the fiction.

That one and Last Orders are amazing. And I definately agree some crazy DLC would be in order.

I've been playing Fable III some more and I've warmed up a bit, it turns out there is quite a bit of stuff I missed while I was playing the story arc. That said I still wish there were more cool buildings to buy and more demon doors to open.

Oh yeah, one of my kids seems to be of mixed race as well. It never ceases to amaze me how glitchy spouses and children are in both Fable II and III considering how much Molyneux harps on about getting the player emotionally attached to characters. After dealing with Zombie Kids, Disappearing Kids, a Castle which had a tendancy to make your wife disappear, Elise giving me an STD and that fact that the game says my character has been married three times despite me only being married once; I can confidently say what little emotional attachment I've felt for my virtual family is completely and utterly gone.

Bog

Junior Ace
Really happy that it said I had 100+ days left, only to jump me to the end game without notice. Well done!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Just finished the game, and while I enjoyed it more than Fable II (more appealing characters, better dialogue, larger world (at least it felt that way to me)), I have to agree with the central criticism in the IGN review:
the real estate system makes the end-game choices essentially meaningless. I had something like 12 million gold on hand by the end game because I owned every available building. And so those "tough" choices weren't so tough since they really didn't cost me anything.
. In comparison to Fable II, where I sacrificed my dog and felt guilty enough about him that I eventually bought the DLC to resurrect him :)lol), the Fable III endgame choices didn't really mean much to me. The only one I regretted making was
lifting the drinking limit, since my post-game world was filled with NPCs barfing.

Also, I really hated the removal of the expression wheel. The game is limited enough in the control it gives players over their character's actions. Now I don't even get to choose what expression I'm going to make? Just the type? Lame. I never even used gifts on adults (only on children), as you can only gift if the game prompts you to gift, and I never got the prompt.

I did enjoy the subquests, particularly the
D&D spoof
. And the dungeons were more enjoyable to me than Fable II's. I really loved the first
Auroran sequence - it actually felt quite creepy.
The voice acting was superb - the best I've heard all year. I appreciated the diversity of minor-NPC voices in particular.

I also liked the weapon upgrade system. It was always fun to work on a particular upgrade and then see it apply once you'd fullfilled the conditions. Combat, otoh, was really sort of dull. I tried mixing it up with rolls, but you were only ever in danger if you got boxed in by unavoidable enemy animations (e.g.,
Balverine swipes
, for example). Hopefully Fable IV will give us a more challenging combat system.

Also, I really hope the breadcrumb system dies in Fable IV. Or at least they need to give us a viable minimap. I was led astray by confused guide trails so many times in this game. And it was annoying to have to pause and wait for the guide system to figure out what direction it thought I should be going. That said, I really liked how the game rewards you for coming back to previously explored sections of Albion to see how they've changed in response to your actions. It made the game world seem much larger than it really was and really encouraged me to seek out available subquests using the map.

So while I enjoyed the game and I'm glad I played it, I still hope Lionhead goes back to the drawing board for Fable IV, at least in terms of redesigning some of the core Fable game mechanics.

And for goodness sakes, fix the dog fetch bug!

fernoca

luxarific said:
And for goodness sakes, fix the dog fetch bug!
What's the bug?
You choose the option, your character is going to throw the ball and the dog will stay there. The dog picks the ball, after it cuts to black and returns to the game (when you gain control of the character); unless there's another bug related to it. He won't pick it if you throw it to an area he can't easily go to. He then returns to you with the ball and puts it in the ground.

It is different to Fable II were you just threw the ball and the dog left to get it. Probably because of the way it was designed in this game, were interacting with your dog or other people, is separate from therest of the game. That's why it cuts to black after you throw the ball.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
fernoca said:
What's the bug?
You choose the option, your character is going to throw the ball and the dog will stay there. The dog picks the ball, after it cuts to black and returns to the game (when yo ugain control of teh character); unless there's another bug related to it. He won't pick it if you throw it to an area he can't easily go to.

Mine would never pick it up, even when I threw it to areas that were reachable. :( He just stood there, until I hit B to close out of the dog menu.

fernoca

luxarific said:
Mine would never pick it up, even when I threw it to areas that were reachable. :( He just stood there, until I hit B to close out of the dog menu.
Yep. He won't pick it until you leave the menu.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
fernoca said:
Yep. He won't pick it until you leave the menu.

No, the fetch animation never played (except once when I first tried it). After that first successful fetch, my dog never fetched anything again.

fernoca

luxarific said:
No, the fetch animation never played (except once when I first tried it). After that first successful fetch, my dog never fetched anything again.
Weird then. They might have to look in to that.
I know that mine sometimes picked it quickly, and others made this show as if he was lost and couldn't find it, but then did and brought it back.

For me, the fetch thing... it would throw it in a weird direction that usually made it impossible for the dog to go get it. Instead of the direction I was facing before I prerssed A.

diglyd

Banned
I have the game but have not started playing it as it sits still unboxed. I have been nervous due to the negative reactions. I am one of the people who loved fable 2 but hated the trend where everything was getting dumbed down. I hated how things got dumbed down in the first place in the f irst one and I thought the second was a step in the right direction. I fear that 3 is even dumber and because of that I will hate it.

and of course the bugs....

but I am wondering if you play fable 3 and not invest in the economy or try to make much money will it make for a more challenging or better experience? I mean if I only bought a few properties as opposed to owning everything will it make a difference?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
diglyd said:
I have the game but have not started playing it as it sits still unboxed. I have been nervous due to the negative reactions. I am one of the people who loved fable 2 but hated the trend where everything was getting dumbed down. I hated how things got dumbed down in the first place in the f irst one and I thought the second was a step in the right direction. I fear that 3 is even dumber and because of that I will hate it.

but I am wondering if you play fable 3 and not invest in the economy or try to make much money will it make for a more challenging or better experience? I mean if I only bought a few properties as opposed to owning everything will it make a difference?

Yeah, I definitely recommend
not investing. Jobs bring in so little money, there's not much point to them, but real estate kills the game.
The endgame would have had a lot more meaning to me if I had had to think twice about the choices I made.

diglyd said:

Nah wouldn't be challenging or better. You could still pay for everything eventually if you just waited it out long enough.

There's no fun/challenging way to earn enough money. It's either buy property or grind the hell out of boring ass "jobs".

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I love the little differences in the world depending if you go good or evil. On my evil guy in the castle garden it's always dim and raining, you can see the factories off in the distance smoke coming off them. Go into the city and people are walking around with there heads down. On my good guy it's sunny with bright blue skies, and everyone is barfing in the streets.

Kinda messed up my good hero's castle, got a bunch of people affriad of me when I was killing the nobles for the dragonstomper upgrade. Did the quest thing to get some of them to like me but it was getting boring so I grabed anyone that was less the neutral to me and dropped the off in silver woods. Hope balveries eat em.

Edit:

Question, just noticed on my evil guy my mercenary camp is empty and I can't buy any of the homes or the store. Is this because I killed the leader? Anyone else kill him can confirm this for me, thanks. Just a bit worried because the dlc coming soon has a shooting gallery there.

Mastperf

fernoca said:
General opinion is the same as the other two games: Approach with caution.
Some love it, some hate it, some enjoy it, some prefer II, some prefer I, and so on.

In my case, I've enjoyed all Fable games so far and this is my most played Fable game at the moment. But backlash and negative opinions are the order of the day when it comes to Fable games, so in III is nothing new. There's no more hate, there no less hate, is the same, more negative opinions and more positive opinions, because there are more people around forums; than there were back on II and way more than back on I.

My advice? If you can rent it and play it for a few hours then do it. If you can get it for relatively cheap, that too. But decide for yourself in the end. Like the latest friend of mine that got the game; he rented it, he liked what he played for a few hours, he bought it.

Fable games are one of the most polarizing series when it comes to reviews and impressions. :lol
Either some are going to paint it as the worst game ever made in history, some are going to say is darn good, others that is the game of the year. Then others will say "get it if you liked Fable II", but what if you didn't liked II?, that means that you won't like III? Because there are people that hated II, but like III. And the list goes on.

So, good luck. :p
The big difference is that this game has been a huge disappointment to hardcore Fable fans. There's far more of them upset than there was with Fable 2. Most of nonfans seem to have learned their lesson and avoided this one. Either way, it's gonna be a big problem for Lionhead and the damage done to the franchise. I hope to hear of a new developer being chosen for Fable 4 and bringing the franchise back to where it belongs.

Top Bottom