• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Meier

So...am I going to be able to do quests, etc. after the war to end all wars? I couldn't believe I had no warning that it would jump directly into it... that's absolutely insane.

fernoca

Mastperf said:
The big difference is that this game has been a huge disappointment to hardcore Fable fans. There's far more of them upset than there was with Fable 2. Most of nonfans seem to have learned their lesson and avoided this one. Either way, it's gonna be a big problem for Lionhead and the damage done to the franchise. I hope to hear of a new developer being chosen for Fable 4 and bringing the franchise back to where it belongs.
Kinda.
There are many "hardcore fans" (like me, I guess) that loved this game. That there are things that can be better and different, of course. But there are as many "lovers", as there are people disappointed with this game.

Plus the reason for my post still stands, is hard to use reviews and other people's opinion to decide; even more on a series that has been well known for the whole "broken promises", of which many people approach with high expectactions in part created by the creator of the game. Only to find out that none made it or barely did. There are many of this "hardcore fans" that can't still forgive Molyneux for not being able to plant a tree and watch it grow; so they approach to each Fable game as if the game is supposed to be "the one"; and leave disappointed and swearing they won't play another Fable game, when is not.

So saying something like "I'm a hardcore and was disappointed, so you will be disappointed" is a bad suggestion to give to others looking or wondering about the game. As a big supporter of this game (and the previous ones), nowhere in my post I said "is the best game ever, go get it"; but instead "try to get it rented or somehow and form your own opinion". :p

Meier said:
So...am I going to be able to do quests, etc. after the war to end all wars? I couldn't believe I had no warning that it would jump directly into it... that's absolutely insane.
You can still do most. But at the moment, mostly to get more experience. Until they announce more content for the game that's it. I have around 340 Guild Seals, just there since I opened everything on Road to Rule some time ago. So it would be cool, if more abilities and stuff can be unlocked at some point.

Meier

fernoca said:
You can still do most. But at the moment, mostly to get more experience. Until they announce more content for the game that's it. I have around 340 Guild Seals, just there since I opened everything on Road to Rule some time ago. So it would be cool, if more abilities and stuff can be unlocked at some point.
Good to know. I was nervous I couldn't get a bunch of achievements related to kills/upgrading weapons/etc.

Meier

Everyone hates me or fears me now (despite the fact i am extreme good) and at least 2 of my 3 wives divorced me. I think my 3rd may be dead. :lol

King Spoilers:
Is it possible to save everyone and make all the "good" decisions as King? Assuming I can make the 6.5M myself since being a "good" King is fucking expensive

DuckRacer

DualShadow said:
King Spoilers:
Is it possible to save everyone and make all the "good" decisions as King? Assuming I can make the 6.5M myself since being a "good" King is fucking expensive
Yeah, you'll just have to collect real estate like a madman and probably let your console idle until you get enough money.

DualShadow said:
King Spoilers:
yep, i did it. just gotta save money up. dont finish your itinerary just keep building money till you have enough

DuckRacer said:
Yeah, you'll just have to collect real estate like a madman and probably let your console idle until you get enough money.

NightHawk17 said:
yep, i did it. just gotta save money up. dont finish your itinerary just keep building money till you have enough

Thanks, that was my plan :D

Walshicus

NightHawk17 said:
Personally? I cheated. Cleared my cache, did the two-player money cheat on a pair of offline accounts, got my mule to transfer the cash to my player.

In the absence of a functioning economy, I figured it was justified.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Don't understand how people have to idle when buliding up their fortune. I just bought a new store every time I had the money to do so, and once all the stores and expensive houses had been bought I went for every single property in the game. You know you can buy houses straight from the map, right? You don't have to go there to buy them. Buy them in the middle of a quest if you like, or even a fight. Just do sidequests while letting the money roll in. I didn't have to idle even once during the whole game. Just take your time exploring, questing, looking for gnomes, etc, and you'll be filthy rich before you know it.

But the way people are complaining about their economy building, maybe Lionhead should have kept the feature from Fable II, where you gain a certain percentage of money even when your console's off.

StarEye said:
Don't understand how people have to idle when buliding up their fortune. I just bought a new store every time I had the money to do so, and once all the stores and expensive houses had been bought I went for every single property in the game. You know you can buy houses straight from the map, right? You don't have to go there to buy them. Buy them in the middle of a quest if you like, or even a fight. Just do sidequests while letting the money roll in. I didn't have to idle even once during the whole game. Just take your time exploring, questing, looking for gnomes, etc, and you'll be filthy rich before you know it.

But the way people are complaining about their economy building, maybe Lionhead should have kept the feature from Fable II, where you gain a certain percentage of money even when your console's off.

I was expecting a lot more quests where you do someone a favor and they donate to the treasury. Like the one lady who donates the balverine statue.

As it stands the game ended up with very very mundane ways of earning any significant amount of money for a non-evil person. Even pub games gambling would have been a much better option.

So..playing in my girlfriend game, and we both go to the Demon Door by Sunset House. Open the chest...and I get a long hair bun hairstyle, and she gets 300 gold. Wtf?

Another hour spent playing. The glowing trail stranded me in the middle of nowhere and disappeared, the dog got stuck inside a fucking tree, a bandit fell through the floor and I'm having to hold hands with a 60 year old trader while he repeats the same line of dialogue every 2 seconds.

Why did I waste my money on the Collector's Edition, guide, novel and a new 360 console to play this game?

Giard

Azure Phoenix said:
Another hour spent playing. The glowing trail stranded me in the middle of nowhere and disappeared, the dog got stuck inside a fucking tree, a bandit fell through the floor and I'm having to hold hands with a 60 year old trader while he repeats the same line of dialogue every 2 seconds.

Why did I waste my money on the Collector's Edition, guide, novel and a new 360 console to play this game?
petermolyneux.jpg

"Because I have you by the balls."

But seriously, everyone got wronged buying this game full price and this early. The only reviews worth reading came after the game was released IMO, as they were the ones who mentioned all the bugs and the disappointing gameplay compared to Fable II.

Mr. Sam

How exactly does
money save citizens from dying anyway? Does the possession of one gold coin make them invulnerable to the demons or what?

Giard

Mr. Sam said:
How exactly does
money save citizens from dying anyway? Does the possession of one gold coin make them invulnerable to the demons or what?

They estimate that you need that quantity of money to fund the army that will defend Albion, but somehow they make the direct correlation between one life and one coin.

When you're playing the lute level 5 at max multiplier, you're saving 3600 lives every time. Think about it.

Mr. Sam said:
How exactly does
They're like rings in sonic. As long as someone is holding one they won't die from damage.

Giard said:
They estimate that you need that quantity of money to fund the army that will defend Albion, but somehow they make the direct correlation between one life and one coin.

When you're playing the lute level 5 at max multiplier, you're saving 3600 lives every time. Think about it.

It's great how
you have to raise money for this army in the first place. Then, I guess to ensure none of THEM die and so you end up with 0 casulties (or 1 technically), you fight the whole damn thing yourself.

Though you also see a bunch of corpses in the street during the battle, I guess those people don't count as citizens. Or i guess they could have all been really lame illusions.

So major king spoiler question. I've been playing as a goody two shoes saint but
my first choice as king is to either pardon or execute Logan. I really want that fucker to hang, but apparently that's the evil option. If I have him killed will that have a huge impact on the end game? I want to be a good character.

GillianSeed79 said:
So major king spoiler question. I've been playing as a goody two shoes saint but
my first choice as king is to either pardon or execute Logan. I really want that fucker to hang, but apparently that's the evil option. If I have him killed will that have a huge impact on the end game? I want to be a good character.

It doesn't impact anything except he'll still be alive to talk to you at the end of the game. No one will hate you for killing him.

HadesGigas said:
It doesn't impact anything except he'll still be alive to talk to you at the end of the game. No one will hate you for killing him.

I think I got boo'ed for letting him live actually
:lol

I also hated how the "Good" choice was always 'A' while the "Evil" choice was "Y" with fire flaming around the button. It reduced everything to just either pressing the "Good" button or the "Evil" button. There was no need to actually comprehend and understand the situation before you.

I realize some players want to be perfect angels or perfect devils, so Lionhead wanted to make the morality consequences of decisions easily identifiable. But in doing so, it made the decision making bland and shallow. With just about everything, you could just skip all the dialogue, close your eyes, and just press "A" for the "Good" decision.

The early Grand Theft Auto games weren't perfect, but you could tell they were trying to reach for something great. That's how Fable I and Fable II (to a lesser extent) felt. But with Fable III, it feels like Lionhead has abandoned their ambitious dream and decided to just make a casual friendly action/RPG.

Giard

Ajemsuhgao said:
Okay...started up my game today, and I can target ONE noble woman now, but nobody else except the servants/guards. What the hell? :(

Maybe you forgot to turn off safety mode? Can't really help you otherwise.

Bog

Junior Ace
Post-game question:
Does the world ever re-populate? The game claimed I had 100+ days left until the attack, but of course that actually meant zero days left, and my barely positive funds meant just about everyone died.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Bog said:
Post-game question:
Does the world ever re-populate? The game claimed I had 100+ days left until the attack, but of course that actually meant zero days left, and my barely positive funds meant just about everyone died.

Play the lute over and over, I hear it raises the dead!

SSnake

Am I screwed?

Just finished the dark cave after the boat gets blown up and walter got blinded and the game is telling me to lead walter out of the cave. The option to hold his hand is not appearing so I physically pushed him to the exit but the game still won't continue.

Giard said:
Maybe you forgot to turn off safety mode? Can't really help you otherwise.

Nope. It's on, but I can only target ONE noble in my castle, and all the guards and servants. Every other noble, I cannot damage. :\

SSnake said:
Am I screwed?

Just finished the dark cave after the boat gets blown up and walter got blinded and the game is telling me to lead walter out of the cave. The option to hold his hand is not appearing so I physically pushed him to the exit but the game still won't continue.

Does it give you the option to interact with him? If it does, do that, and hold LT.

Damn bugs.
I'm at the part near the end (I think) where I need to defend Silverpine from Balverines, and after killing them all, the quest glitches and now I'm stuck in this area.

I can't teleport to another zone, reload or join someone else's game to fix this.

I guess I'll watch the ending on youtube.

fernoca

theMrCravens said:
Damn bugs.
I'm at the part near the end (I think) where I need to defend Silverpine from Balverines, and after killing them all, the quest glitches and now I'm stuck in this area.

I can't teleport to another zone, reload or join someone else's game to fix this.

I guess I'll watch the ending on youtube.
In what way it glitches?
For that quest you:
Go to Silverpine, they let you know about problems with balverines, continue walking on the forest, meet the balverine leader, decide either to protect or not the village, go back and if you choose to protect the village; to have to kill all balverines, then the leader (white one) and then talk to the villager so he gives you the balverine statue. You go back to the lady on Millfields and decide to either give the money of said trophy to the Treasury or take it for yourself.
If still not working, try quitting the game and reloading the save.

fernoca said:
In what way it glitches?
For that quest you:
Go to Silverpine, they let you know about problems with balverines, continue walking on the forest, meet the balverine leader, decide either to protect or not the village, go back and if you choose to protect the village; to have to kill all balverines, then the leader (white one) and then talk to the villager so he gives you the balverine statue. You go back to the lady on Millfields and decide to either give the money of said trophy to the Treasury or take it for yourself.
I chose to protect them, then entered the village, killed the Balverines and then nothing.
I did not see the white one either. I can't even leave the village because of invisible barriers, or even warp out because I'm "ON A QUEST".

fernoca said:
If still not working, try quitting the game and reloading the save.
That's the problem. Reloading puts me in the village with the Balverines dead, and still no progress. Closing the XBOX and starting again does nothing either.

The people who play this game online appear to be like the anti-CoD crowd. Had a guy join me and show me how to get through the Enigma puzzle and tolerate my failings at opening up the demon door in Mistpeak and then talk me through it.

I thought there'd be more to the post end game though.
The 8000 you pay to that person in Aurora to explore a different continent or whatever, is that supposed to never lead to anything? DLC?
I feel like I'm done with the game. There appears to be no more quests. Just a bunch of fluff and filler. Chasing after books or keys or guild seals or whatever to unlock achievements and new weapons. Not interested. What do I need weapons for when there are no quests to use them in?

The game's personality makes up for a lot, but there are a lot of things that bothered me frequently. I enjoyed it more than I didn't though, and I did so for like 35 hours. Don't regret purchasing it.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Finally completed it. I watched a friend play through into the "second half" of the game so I knew what to expect. I didn't enjoy it at all, the game just dissolves into a completely harsh and unnecessary money-grind- in the end I just figured to hell with it went on with only half the money.

I did like the game, the environments in particular. The game feels archaic and linear, but those were shortcomings I didn't mind, and elements that don't seem all that bad in regards to what comes later on in the playthrough.

Hopefully Fable 4 is a complete reboot in regards to the gameplay mechanics and design though.

VibratingDonkey said:
I thought there'd be more to the post end game though.
The 8000 you pay to that person in Aurora to explore a different continent or whatever, is that supposed to never lead to anything? DLC?
Explore around the Driftwood area, keep your eyes out on the shores and smaller islands...

The ending felt kinda
weak unfortunately, the boss wasn't even harder then a normal enemy and didn't even directly fight the creature thingy

Time to start an evil play through when I have time.

VibratingDonkey said:
The people who play this game online appear to be like the anti-CoD crowd. Had a guy join me and show me how to get through the Enigma puzzle and tolerate my failings at opening up the demon door in Mistpeak and then talk me through it.
Fable II had very much the same type of player base, if you needed any item or achievement help you just had to stand around Bowerstone clock tower and pretty much anyone with a headset would be willing to assist you for free.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Bog said:
I'd rather not. Does this actually do something?

I've read that it triggers people to suround you and they stay once you are done. More you play the more people come to watch. Can't confirm because I was a good ruler and saved my people :D

Prine

Banned
Mastperf said:
The big difference is that this game has been a huge disappointment to hardcore Fable fans. There's far more of them upset than there was with Fable 2. Most of nonfans seem to have learned their lesson and avoided this one. Either way, it's gonna be a big problem for Lionhead and the damage done to the franchise. I hope to hear of a new developer being chosen for Fable 4 and bringing the franchise back to where it belongs.

I agree with this. Im a huge Fable fan, loved both one and two - but its getting hard to forgive Lionhead with some of the stuff here. There was so much potential for this game, to really build on what they done with Fable 2 but they failed to do anything substantial. I weep thinking about how much time and money went into the sanctuary when that could have been a slick menu system and the time saved invested back into the game. Game design has not progressed one bit since Fable 2, its a familiar experience. The hand holding mechanic does nothing to the game, dog is useless as ever and combat is no fun. Even vaulting from high platforms reuses the same, unpolished inaccurate animation from Fable 2. It looks horrible and feel unnatural. Same for the diving animation...such a shame.

I wouldnt recommend this game, my tune has changed a lot from the start. Great presentation but mediocre in design. Lionhead let themselves down here, Fable 4 needs a reboot - new gameplay mechanics built around a more acrobatic hero and deeper interaction. You cant even step onto high platforms. Its 2010 for godsake.

I dont want to believe this is from Molynuex.

Prosper

Neo Member
I honestly think the Sanctuary is one of the more brilliant parts of the game. Instant loading and I get to see all the clothing and weapons and so on without having to click equip to see it first.

Prosper said:
I honestly think the Sanctuary is one of the more brilliant parts of the game. Instant loading and I get to see all the clothing and weapons and so on without having to click equip to see it first.

Personally I liked the Sanctuary, It was probably the biggest improvement over Fable 2 where the menu's were complete crap. They just need to implement those kind of changes to the rest of the game play while maintaining the Fable charm.

DualShadow said:
Personally I liked the Sanctuary, It was probably the biggest improvement over Fable 2 where the menu's were complete crap. They just need to implement those kind of changes to the rest of the game play while maintaining the Fable charm.

Yeah that's pretty much the problem. Sanctuary is neat and hell of a lot better than the crap menus in the old games, but when all is said and done it's not a part of the gameplay, which they went and chopped out significant parts of.

I'd rather have an annoying menu and relatively full featured gameplay than a slick 3D non-menu and have to slow dance and play patty cake with everyone.

Blueblur1

Prine said:
I agree with this. Im a huge Fable fan, loved both one and two - but its getting hard to forgive Lionhead with some of the stuff here. There was so much potential for this game, to really build on what they done with Fable 2 but they failed to do anything substantial. I weep thinking about how much time and money went into the sanctuary when that could have been a slick menu system and the time saved invested back into the game. Game design has not progressed one bit since Fable 2, its a familiar experience. The hand holding mechanic does nothing to the game, dog is useless as ever and combat is no fun. Even vaulting from high platforms reuses the same, unpolished inaccurate animation from Fable 2. It looks horrible and feel unnatural. Same for the diving animation...such a shame.

I wouldnt recommend this game, my tune has changed a lot from the start. Great presentation but mediocre in design. Lionhead let themselves down here, Fable 4 needs a reboot - new gameplay mechanics built around a more acrobatic hero and deeper interaction. You cant even step onto high platforms. Its 2010 for godsake.

I dont want to believe this is from Molynuex.
This. This. THIS.

Where's SamVT? Read this quote, Sam.

HadesGigas said:
Yeah that's pretty much the problem. Sanctuary is neat and hell of a lot better than the crap menus in the old games, but when all is said and done it's not a part of the gameplay, which they went and chopped out significant parts of.

I'd rather have an annoying menu and relatively full featured gameplay than a slick 3D non-menu and have to slow dance and play patty cake with everyone.

So True :lol

But by the end playing a purely "good guy" I could pretty much get to the next level with just 1 dance or patty cake then do the relationship quest. Was still a horrible system though and some of the animations were way to long, didnt help seeing them over and over either.

Maybe Fable 4 will be better.
I think we say this every Fable game

Top Bottom