• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake GAF 2014: Welcome to the Sahara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzy

Banned

Do you realize that my post and yours are completely incompatible?
HYmnwU3.png

I started watching Justice League to see if it was any good.

Ehhhhhhh

I liked the show when it was on though, I think I preferred JL:U. I also liked Teen Titans better than both though. But I heard Young Justice was really good but I never watched it.

But I don't really read any comics so histories and all of that mean nothing to me so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

If I may realtalk for a second, I watch a fair bit of this stuff (mostly movies but a couple of the tv shows) but hate a lot of the comic tropes. I would really prefer individual characters to be relatively isolated by series, not this justice league / avengers type deal where you have scifi, fantasy and standard comic book characters mashed together in a clusterfuck where you have Zatana is casting magic to help superman fend off Lex Luthor's super science while Martians are fighting off Fishmen from Atlantis. It's just fucking weird and not in a good way.

When you have a world with hundreds of superheroes running around it starts to break down inside my mind as being utterly absurd. I mean I know even one superhero is absurd, but there's this level of suspension of disbelief that my mind is incapable of achieving when you have so many different crazy superhero origins, some magical, some some derived from gods, some derived from crazy alien DNA or the space police imbuing you with powers. Then some guy got spliced with spider DNA and some other guy fell into a vat of chemicals and some other guy got struck by lightning or some similar garbage. And they all either punch each other or shoot beams from their eyes. Why? Because comic books, that's why.

I tried to start reading comics a few months ago. Started by ordering The Long Halloween from Batman, as it was selfcontained so it did not really require too much of an investment.

Haven't actually started yet though, although I found plenty of comic books that looked interesting. Will probably actually start when I read more again.

If I may realtalk for a second, I watch a fair bit of this stuff (mostly movies but a couple of the tv shows) but hate a lot of the comic tropes. I would really prefer individual characters to be relatively isolated by series, not this justice league / avengers type deal where you have scifi, fantasy and standard comic book characters mashed together in a clusterfuck where you have Zatana is casting magic to help superman fend off Lex Luthor's super science while Martians are fighting off Fishmen from Atlantis. It's just fucking weird and not in a good way.

When you have a world with hundreds of superheroes running around it starts to break down inside my mind as being utterly absurd. I mean I know even one superhero is absurd, but there's this level of suspension of disbelief that my mind is incapable of achieving when you have so many different crazy superhero origins, some magical, some some derived from gods, some derived from crazy alien DNA or the space police imbuing you with powers. Then some guy got spliced with spider DNA and some other guy fell into a vat of chemicals and some other guy got struck by lightning or some similar garbage. And they all either punch each other or shoot beams from their eyes. Why? Because comic books, that's why.

Embrace the insanity. Let it flow through you.

That is pretty true about the mix of of Superheroes but I think people don't watch it for depth or anything. The Avengers will never win an award for having the best story but the action is visually pleasing. Besides the fact that it is a chance to have famous actors grouped together at the same time.

But I know the suspension of belief for me can be a problem, because I have different levels for different shows. Superheroes and zombies (though I stopped watching the walking dead because it was getting ridiculous among other reasons) have a higher threshold of nonsense than a show like 24 (which I also stopped watching). But I can see why it would be annoying for some people.

Also how did you watch/read Watchmen isn't it the same mix of Superheroes?

Also how did you watch/read Watchmen isn't it the same mix of Superheroes?

Watchmen contains only one character with superpowers. All of the other "superheroes" are just athletic people in costumes. Watchmen exists as a deconstruction of superhero archetypes by taking a more grounded and cynical view of a lot of these same superhero tropes. It's also high quality literature, and not just by comic book standards.

Watchmen contains only one character with superpowers. All of the other "superheroes" are just athletic people in costumes. Watchmen exists as a deconstruction of superhero archetypes by taking a more grounded and cynical view of a lot of these same superhero tropes. It's also high quality literature, and not just by comic book standards.

I think remember you mentioned the movie last month. Is it worth watching or should I just read the comic?

I think remember you mentioned the movie last month. Is it worth watching or should I just read the comic?

If you don't mind reading it I'd say do that first. I love the movie but it has a very mixed critical reception. Arguably it is too devoted to the source material and some parts work better on the written page than on the screen. There are literally shots of the movie that are identical reconstructions of pages from the comic. But some stuff isn't explained well in the movie (which is really pushing it for runtime - theatrical cut is 2 hrs 40 minutes or something and extended edition is much longer than that). The comic is a 12 issue series and has more time to breathe and explain things.

The film is worth seeing at least once though, even if you don't like it.

If you don't mind reading it I'd say do that first. I love the movie but it has a very mixed critical reception. Arguably it is too devoted to the source material and some parts work better on the written page than on the screen. There are literally shots of the movie that are identical reconstructions of pages from the comic. But some stuff isn't explained well in the movie (which is really pushing it for runtime - theatrical cut is 2 hrs 40 minutes or something and extended edition is much longer than that). The comic is a 12 issue series and has more time to breathe and explain things.

The film is worth seeing at least once though, even if you don't like it.

Sounds good, got a request for graphic novel to come to library already.

AcridMeat

Banned
That is until the ending, which they fucked up massively in the movie.

I've never been huge on the superhero type of comics. I read Watchmen as well and really enjoyed it for the fact that it was more human, nothing super about (most of) it. I watched the spiderman, batman and x-men cartoons as a kid and enjoyed those, but I hate things like Superman, the all powerful type of character. Though I do know why Superman exists and I think it's cool he still exists today, just for the sake of legacy, but I find it boring.

That said the last comic I've been reading has been Chew, which is super fun in my opinion. Acid recommended it and I really liked the art, it's fun. No super powers as such, just bizarre which I enjoy. I really like the art. :D

Shit yeah hockey time!

MutFox

Banned
Morning... :D

1st period over 0-0

I went to two Staples yesterday... :|
All in the name of helping a friend find a desk, wasn't much there...

Wazzy

Banned
Morning... :D

1st period over 0-0

I went to two Staples yesterday... :|
All in the name of helping a friend find a desk, wasn't much there...

Some stores have more options than others. Online is your best option.

Also my heart is racing after that first period. Shit is intense.

TDM, watch the Justice League Unlimited episode focused around Booster Gold. It focuses on him only through most of the episode, and it basically tackles the issues you brought up. It's also just a really good episode.

MutFox

Banned
Some stores have more options than others. Online is your best option.

Also my heart is racing after that first period. Shit is intense.

After Five Guys Burgers I went home (I felt sick, in a food coma sort of way)
and my friend and my bro went to Ikea instead...

I told my friend to look online 1st, but he wanted to go to the store... :|
He's kinda old school in that sort of way...

Good game so far... :)

I don't remember owning undies. But I was seriously obsessed with TMNT and Power Rangers.

I had a red ranger shirt and shorts combo. And my room had TMNT curtains, bedspread, and giant framed poster on the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom