• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya RNH. It's going...the same I suppose.

You have a point about eating various creatures being equal, but I still have no interest in eating bugs. I've tried birds, mammals, reptiles, fish, shellfish, and snails. But bugs are off my menu. XD

Oh sure, not eating things because you think they're gross is different. Like I'd not even gove escargot a shot

people don't keep dogs as a source of food.

people don't keep cows as pets.

basically it's immoral to eat a pet. it's moral to eat something that is intended as food.

Show your working, especially with regards to how breeding animals into captivity just so that at some point down the line they can be killed and eaten can possibly be seen as moral

FloatOn

lawd have mercy I don't want to have to go into it but please note down in your book that I disagree completely

it's totally your prerogative to disagree

I can suspect why you might disagree but you said you don't want to go into it and that's fine.

so I'll just leave it at that.

Show your working, especially with regards to how breeding animals into captivity just so that at some point down the line they can be killed and eaten can possibly be seen as moral

I didn't know you were vegetarian/vegan

I don't like the fact that a living thing has to die in order for me to sustain my life but the circle of life and all that. everything dies.

somewhat equivalent to those that donate organs at the point of death. you are giving something of yourself so that someone else can be sustained.

what is suspect and what I can TOTALLY understand is that the meat industry does the killing and breeding in some really inhumane ways. However, there are exceptions to this and when I cook for myself I buy from trusted sources.

zeemumu

How?

I thought it was clear the monster didn't quite feed on them, but did something else. I'm not sure what, though.

It was shown that Will was in the other world far longer than Barb, but he managed to evade the monster up until the very end, and he was near death with an alien tentacle down his throat when they found him. We see Barb get captured immediately. I'm willing to bet that what it was doing to Will happened to Barb, but he lucked out and got found before it killed him.

Plus we see Will vomit up a small slug at the end, and when El finds Barb's corpse, there's a somewhat larger looking slug coming out of her mouth.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It was shown that Will was in the other world far longer than Barb, but he managed to evade the monster up until the very end, and he was near death with an alien tentacle down his throat when they found him. We see Barb get captured immediately. I'm willing to bet that what it was doing to Will happened to Barb, but he lucked out and got found before it killed him.

Plus we see Will vomit up a small slug at the end, and when El finds Barb's corpse, there's a somewhat larger looking slug coming out of her mouth.
Yeah, I noticed that. I was more or less wondering about the actual purpose of the
slug. Is it a parasite or something different?

zeemumu

Yeah, I noticed that. I was more or less wondering about the actual purpose of the
slug. Is it a parasite or something different?

I think it's a baby and that thing was using people as incubators. Based on Will's symptoms I'm betting that it was specifically using the lungs as egg chambers, and that when enough slugs got pumped down there the person would eventually suffocate and die.

Reminds me a bit of SCP 439 except not nearly as bad.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think it's a baby and that thing was using people as incubators. Based on Will's symptoms I'm betting that it was specifically using the lungs as egg chambers, and that when enough slugs got pumped down there the person would eventually suffocate and die.

Reminds me a bit of SCP 439 except not nearly as bad.
Well, good thing I was just about to hit the bed!

jb1234

Rented Deadpool and I'll hopefully watch it tonight. Still need to watch Stranger Things. So behind on television. I've been binging Star Trek: Deep Space Nine instead.

zeemumu

Rented Deadpool and I'll hopefully watch it tonight. Still need to watch Stranger Things. So behind on television. I've been binging Star Trek: Deep Space Nine instead.

Stranger Things is only 8 episodes so you can blow through it pretty quickly. I only took so long because I kept putting it off.

Well, good thing I was just about to hit the bed!

I'm sure it'll be fine...maybe...

jb1234

Stranger Things is only 8 episodes so you can blow through it pretty quickly. I only took so long because I kept putting it off.

Yeah, I suppose compared to DS9, 8 eps is nothing. That said, most are longer than the average television episode.

jb1234

Depends on what era of television. Most shows nowadays are about an hour.

42 minutes without commercials is about average these days. Stranger Things runs from 41-55. That said, that's an amazing amount of restraint given they probably have no limitations on running time. Some shows went really overboard with it (like Arrested Development's fourth season).

Jobbs

Banned
tumblr_lyfhmxLgSI1r2hskto1_250.gif

Gonna take a bath

I didn't know you were vegetarian/vegan

I don't like the fact that a living thing has to die in order for me to sustain my life but the circle of life and all that. everything dies.

somewhat equivalent to those that donate organs at the point of death. you are giving something of yourself so that someone else can be sustained.

what is suspect and what I can TOTALLY understand is that the meat industry does the killing and breeding in some really inhumane ways. However, there are exceptions to this and when I cook for myself I buy from trusted sources.
I'm not, but I am under no illusions that the reality of meat is inherently immoral. And I realise that this is going to come off as hypocritical because of that, but just because I'm being hypocritical doesn't make it moral. Plus I do genuinely want to go vegan one day, I'll just need to put a lot of thought into it as my diet is already limited thanks to allergies.

I wouldn't agree with your equivalency, people who donate organs A) consent to it and B) don't get killed when the organs will be at their best. Not to mention that there are perfectly healthy alternatives to eating meat, when organs can't be replicated.

I guess the point is that we have reached a situation where it is wholly unenecessary to eat meat (plus it actively contributes to damaging the environment), but we still do it anyway. I would like to think we're a compassionate enough species to be able to get past that one day but I'm not going to get my hopes up, and will instead just argue for veganism where I can.

MutFox

Banned
Just started Mr. Robot...
1st 2 episodes are pretty good. :p

There was a stupid moment at the beginning of ep2 with the main character being a noob.
Though pretty sure it's there for plot.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
He painted himself red, he actually did it! the absolute madman

Fluvian

Banned
Mankind divided, very dull first mission, the second mission starts off with one of those cutscenes that aren't really cut scenes, like you're seeing out of the character's pov but you can't control anything except the camera a little bit and you have to wait it out.
So I wait it out and when something fucking interesting finally happens the game crashed, not a great first impression, I'll get back to it tomorrow.

Fluvian

Banned
I was telling my gf about my difficulty sleeping and she mentioned how I've been drinking coffee pretty much around the clock.. I think I must have had 9 cups yesterday... She may be onto something

I think I might be the only man on the planet who could drink an entire bottle of coke and fall right asleep.
I've been pumping my body full of sugar and caffeine my entire life, I think I'm immune to both drugs at this point.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, that's more or less what my fibromyalgia feels like.

Oh, that's what you have? I"m sorry, that must be awful. I can't imagine.

I am blessed in the sense that I have no major illnesses that I know of, my pain is because I've been running my body into the ground with batman workouts :eek:

jb1234

Oh wait you have fibromyalgia too? That makes at least 3 of my friends

I feel like that's a higher number than usual

It's more common than people think. And because it manifests itself in so many different ways and levels of severity, people are often ignorant and judge you. For instance, mine is debilitating whereas I know a person who is still able to maintain a full-time job with it.

(Thus, I get comments like, "Well, my friend can work with it. Why can't you? You're just lazy."

Oh, that's what you have? I"m sorry, that must be awful. I can't imagine.

I am blessed in the sense that I have no major illnesses that I know of, my pain is because I've been running my body into the ground with batman workouts :eek:

Yeah, it's pretty sucky. ;) But we all have challenges in this lifetime. Just have to work with what we got.

It's more common than people think. And because it manifests itself in so many different ways and levels of severity, people are often ignorant and judge you. For instance, mine is debilitating whereas I know a person who is still able to maintain a full-time job with it.

(Thus, I get comments like, "Well, my friend can work with it. Why can't you? You're just lazy."

I don't have Fibromyalgia but a judge at a disability thing said I could work at Wal Mart or whatever

4 years later, autism diagnosis gets me on disability. Fuck that judge,

Youz mah bro

Fluvian

Banned
I don't have Fibromyalgia but a judge at a disability thing said I could work at Wal Mart or whatever

4 years later, autism diagnosis gets me on disability. Fuck that judge,

Youz mah bro

Yeah it's weird, I have autism too and the government gives me money every month, yet I'm fully functional and can hold down a decent job, i actually even wrote my council once about it and they never got back to me.
I actually kinda feel shitty about it because I'm always hearing horror stories about proper disabled people having their benefits taken away, a lot of the time it results in suicide, either the disabled person or their carer who can't manage looking after someone like that without the money.

jb1234

My disability benefits are actually based on my autism. I'm not sure I'd be able to get them for fibro. People sometimes do but it can be a very long battle because of how poorly understood the illness is (and its lack of lab results).

Fluvian

Banned
My disability benefits are actually based on my autism. I'm not sure I'd be able to get them for fibro. People sometimes do but it can be a very long battle because of how poorly understood the illness is (and its lack of lab results).

Wow that's fucking awful that they'll give you money for being wired differently, but they won't give you a penny for a condition that puts people through awful pain and stiffness.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I think I might be the only man on the planet who could drink an entire bottle of coke and fall right asleep.
I've been pumping my body full of sugar and caffeine my entire life, I think I'm immune to both drugs at this point.

Jeff Gerstmann

Wow that's fucking awful that they'll give you money for being wired differently, but they won't give you a penny for a condition that puts people through awful pain and stiffness.

My dad had to fight tooth and nail to get disability benefits after having a stroke, which was just eventually replaced with Social Security and they recently cut his health benefits too. Yay, America!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom