• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misha

Banned
in a sonic endless runner you are constantly moving forward.

in a sonic platformer there are times where you stop and choose paths, look for secrets etc.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't see any downside to Nintendo's mobile stuff. If the downside is some sense that Nintendo is degrading their properties I don't think Nintendo could degrade them further

Misha

Banned
I don't see any downside to Nintendo's mobile stuff. If the downside is some sense that Nintendo is degrading their properties I don't think Nintendo could degrade them further
Mobile is just this era's "tie in interactive coloring book" or flash game. Entire main goal is just brand awareness

:)

I wouldn't say they are becoming third party just yet. They do still have dedicated hardware coming out.

I think this is just branching out in to new business without benefiting their competitors. I think I also remember hearing at the beginning of the year that they are going to get into doing stuff for theme parks and movies.

The optimist part of me is thinking that this just them trying to revitalize their business while the cynical side is thinking that this is just them being desperate.

I think there's room for holding both interpretations at the same time. After all, the company isn't a hive mind. It seems reasonable to believe that some or many at the company would have wanted to branch into external development a while ago especially with the success of Angry Birds and similar, but that important people at the top put a kibosh on it.

Nintendo will never truly go third party. They are the only unique hardware manufacturer. These games are more like advertising than actual games.

Being unique is not a salient driving point. We don't need unique consoles trying something new because the market has matured (in the original sense of the word) and people know what they want from a game console. Veering away from the norm isn't automatically good.

Besides, half of Nintendo's audience is still digging up relics from garage sales and eBay to be concerned with the future of games :p

Jobbs

Banned
with federation force being a thing I have to agree

The mismanagement of Metroid and the squandering of its fanbase is truly astonishing. I hate to sound like a broken record, but just look at what Fromsoft managed to accomplish by acknowledging its fanbase, catering to them, and sticking to its guns with bold vision and design. They created a fanbase for themselves and built it up. Nintendo has just been lurching with Metroid, trying literally everything OTHER than catering to its core fans and the "grew up with Super Metroid" types. They've been chasing the success of other games trying to make Metroid into various things no one ever wanted it to be.

That said, I don't have any real reverence for any Nintendo property. I'm sick of Mario and don't really give a shit. Zelda can be cool but I don't really care if they release a bad Zelda game because they've already done that many times.

Mobile is just this era's "tie in interactive coloring book" or flash game. Entire main goal is just brand awareness

pretty much. I don't see mobile as encroaching on any territory. It's just a thing that exists and everyone has one and Nintendo finally acknowledged reality. Nintendo is nothing if not stubborn.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Federation Force is better than most give it credit for. It just was released in a terrible time where we haven't had a good Metroid game since Prime 3.

I feel if you removed the Metroid name from it and tweaked the coat of paint a bit people wouldn't have bitched as hard as they did. That looked like they really wanted to create a new IP but wanted to slap a known IP to feel safe and think it would work for sales.

FloatOn

The mismanagement of Metroid and the squandering of its fanbase is truly astonishing. I hate to sound like a broken record, but just look at what Fromsoft managed to accomplish by acknowledging its fanbase, catering to them, and sticking to its guns with bold vision and design. They created a fanbase for themselves and built it up. Nintendo has just been lurching with Metroid, trying literally everything OTHER than catering to its core fans and the "grew up with Super Metroid" types. They've been chasing the success of other games trying to make Metroid into various things no one ever wanted it to be.

That said, I don't have any real reverence for any Nintendo property. I'm sick of Mario and don't really give a shit. Zelda can be cool but I don't really care if they release a bad Zelda game because they've already done that many times.

True. I will say though, if Fromsoft isn't careful they will play out the Souls formula pretty quickly. It's mostly me not having time to play games but Dark Souls 3 felt extremely "safe" to me and so it definitely didn't hook me like the first game. As such I only have about 20 hours logged and can't see myself finishing it any time soon.

Misha

Banned
I feel if you removed the Metroid name from it and tweaked the coat of paint a bit people wouldn't have bitched as hard as they did. That looked like they really wanted to create a new IP but wanted to slap a known IP to feel safe and think it would work for sales.
It would suffer the same fate as codename: steam which isn't a whole lot better

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
It's always been Metroid. It was a DS pitch that they resurrected.

Also anyone who doubts the power of Nintendo, visit an elementary school. Mario, Zelda, everywhere. Let's also not forget we are only a generation removed from the Wii and DS, which regardless of opinions were absolutelyou monsters.

Jobbs

Banned
Federation Force is better than most give it credit for. It just was released in a terrible time where we haven't had a good Metroid game since Prime 1.

ftfy

Also I think something about Metroid is truly lost when designed as an FPS. The connection between me and the character are, ironically, severed by this. That's one of the core problems with FPS. Characterization becomes difficult.

In a Metroid game that is constructed in a way that I feel is appropriate, there'd be a lot of mystique and minimal if any exposition. Because of this, subtle cues gleaned by looking at the character become even more important, and much could be accomplished in this fashion. Imagine if Samus rarely or never spoke, but we got most of our characterization through body language. There's a lot of ripe territory there.

I guess I'm saying I want an authentically designed third person Metroid game that respects the core tenets of the series as many people (such as myself) view them to be. This is what I've always wanted and it has never happened.

Ceallach

ftfy

Also I think something about Metroid is truly lost when designed as an FPS. The connection between me and the character are, ironically, severed by this. That's one of the core problems with FPS. Characterization becomes difficult.

In a Metroid game that is constructed in a way that I feel is appropriate, there'd be a lot of mystique and minimal if any exposition. Because of this, subtle cues gleaned by looking at the character become even more important, and much could be accomplished in this fashion. Imagine if Samus rarely or never spoke, but we got most of our characterization through body language. There's a lot of ripe territory there.

I guess I'm saying I want an authentically designed third person Metroid game that respects the core tenets of the series as many people (such as myself) view them to be. This is what I've always wanted and it has never happened.
Prime 1 was the last truly classic, but Prime 2 and 3 are still fantastic games. Other M is even decent if you remove all of the Other Miness from it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Also anyone who doubts the power of Nintendo, visit an elementary school. Mario, Zelda, everywhere. Let's also not forget we are only a generation removed from the Wii and DS, which regardless of opinions were absolutelyou monsters.

This is true. When my nephews wanted a console, they wanted 'the one with Mario on it'. So I dusted off WiiU and now they are playing New Super Mario Bros. U (and my sister is happy because she saved some money :p )

FloatOn

If Nintendo doesn't make a Metroid VR game they're doing something wrong

after playing around with a Vive a few months ago I certainly see the potential for VR but I still think it has a long way to go if it will ever replace traditional gaming.

Misha

Banned
after playing around with a Vive a few months ago I certainly see the potential for VR but I still think it has a long way to go if it will ever replace traditional gaming.
It shouldn't ever replace. It should be the improved way of experiencing first person games with the occasional gimmick thrown in. Think Halfway between a flight stick (optional technical improvement) and Kinect (gimmick)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Alice Madness Returns removed from Steam. Yays I own another game removed from Steam.

Prey
Clive Barker's Jericho
Guilty Gear Isuka
Guilty Gear X2 Reload
Castle of Illusion
Alice Madness Returns

I may be missing something but still it sucks games getting removed.

FloatOn

Alice Madness Returns removed from Steam. Yays I own another game removed from Steam.

Prey
Clive Barker's Jericho
Guilty Gear Isuka
Guilty Gear X2 Reload
Castle of Illusion
Alice Madness Returns

I may be missing something but still it sucks games getting removed.

I have these and Blur

Ceallach

It shouldn't ever replace. It should be the improved way of experiencing first person games with the occasional gimmick thrown in. Think Halfway between a flight stick (optional technical improvement) and Kinect (gimmick)
To me, it's like the 3d of the 3ds. When you first see it is fucking cool as shit. But after 20 minutes the novelty is gone. I would much rather be able to check my phone or drink a beer or talk to someone. It's totally novel
and nothing else

Misha

Banned
To me, it's like the 3d of the 3ds. When you first see it is fucking cool as shit. But after 20 minutes the novelty is gone. I would much rather be able to check my phone or drink a beer or talk to someone. It's totally novel
and nothing else
I just want it to play tabletop simulator

Jobbs

Banned
The headset separating me from everything would make it impractical other than occasional gimmickry. I'm so addicted to multitasking I would find myself removing the thing to look at my phone or whatever every few minutes.

Misha

Banned
I don't understand this game.

why not just play actual chess or cards? these are easy enough things to actually do.

whereas not everyone can run a farm or 18 wheeler.
Alright, do you want to play chess?
The headset separating me from everything would make it impractical other than occasional gimmickry. I'm so addicted to multitasking I would find myself removing the thing to look at my phone or whatever every few minutes.
Just get that program where you have a desk and monitors in VR. Problem solved

Ceallach

It's way worse in practise than you even think as you have to recalibrate it sometimes when you take it off and it loses you in space. It's a huge pita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom