• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
13450867_1136998196322874_7158165083297823400_n.jpg

Well I was a Geek in my high school equivalent. So that's a start.

Misha

Banned
I should get an epilator. I don't mind pain
The trick is to not stop because your body gets numb to it after a second. Doing small portions is more jarring.

Tho I'm having an issue with it cutting some of the hairs rather than pulling them out. Still gets the job done but that's kinda annoying

The trick is to not stop because your body gets numb to it after a second. Doing small portions is more jarring.

Tho I'm having an issue with it cutting some of the hairs rather than pulling them out. Still gets the job done but that's kinda annoying

I had that too.
overall just not worth it. all methods of hair removal are annoying though so...

Misha

Banned
you guys don't know what a freak I am. I laugh at your epilator

what's the most painful brand/model?
I once removed a fungus wart thing that was a couple millimeters beneath my skin and fixed my ingrown toenail myself cause the doctors didn't do it right. Pain is easy (so long as I'm in control of it)

Idk I've only used one
I had that too.
overall just not worth it. all methods of hair removal are annoying though so...
Definitely the best do it yourself thing tho. Shaving doesn't last more than a day or two before it's somewhat noticeable again. Will get that crap lasered off eventually tho

Jobbs

Banned
I'm seriously considering getting one now because if it's as you say and it lasts longer than shaving -- that's what I want. I don't like how when I shave my chest it gets stubbly again pretty soon.

Plus my skin is so delicate I am constantly at risk of knicks and cuts

Misha

Banned
I'm seriously considering getting one now because if it's as you say and it lasts longer than shaving -- that's what I want. I don't like how when I shave my chest it gets stubbly again pretty soon.

Plus my skin is so delicate I am constantly at risk of knicking my skin.
I go a couple weeks between using it. Hair that comes back up is less noticeable and softer so it's not too big of a deal to let it grow back a teeny bit.
The biggest issue is probably that it's more time consuming. It doesn't necessarily get every hair in one pass so you need to do it two or three times

My skin is really tough though so idk how it would be for delicate skin. I can dry shave using a razor with no irritation

zeemumu

lol

_______
I never liked the Harry Potter movies but for some reason I felt the need to revisit the first one. it's actually charming.

I get that feeling during Christmas. I think my mind associates Harry Potter with Christmas because it used to have such a large presence in department stores during the holidays. I had a polyjuice potion maker at one point :p

Pau

I get that feeling during Christmas. I think my mind associates Harry Potter with Christmas because it used to have such a large presence in department stores during the holidays. I had a polyjuice potion maker at one point :p
Same. I also read the first four books in the week before Christmas, so it adds to that.

Same with Lord of the Rings. Used to be tradition to watch one of the movies Christmas Eve while waiting to open presents.

yeah they're definitely cuddling up-in-cold-weather-movies.
I didn't grow up with harry potter like you guys did. I was 18 or 19 when the first one came out and it just looked like a movie about little kids to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I understand how you may have gotten this impression. but seriously...the books are sooo good! I yet have to find another string of novels that has such impressive and believeable world building. they're my ultimate escapism instrument. plus a lot of themes and character arcs run way deeper than it meets the eye at first. of course they're still for children too but that's nothing bad imo.

zeemumu

And October's the month of horror movies, visiting Knotts Scary Farm and Universal Halloween Horror Nights, and watching "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"

I actually tend to save Nightmare Before Christmas for December.

Jobbs

Banned
Must not be too painful if it doesn't last

I am okay with

hot wax
biting
hair pulling
slapping

that sort of stuff

I may be receptive to certain other things but "working out and getting sore" isn't really the same type of thing!

I understand how you may have gotten this impression. but seriously...the books are sooo good! I yet have to find another string of novels that has such impressive and believeable world building. they're my ultimate escapism instrument. plus a lot of themes and character arcs run way deeper than it meets the eye at first. of course they're still for children too but that's nothing bad imo.

Okay, maybe I'll try watching the movies. I'm not against kid movies, honestly, I thought Zootopia was pretty great. The sloth part had me rolling.

I also consider Kiki's one of my favorite films and it's 100% kid friendly

Pau

tbh Rowling's too deterministic for my taste and I don't like how she deals with morality. So my favorites are the first four books when it is about little kids and this isn't quite apparent. :p

zeemumu

tbh Rowling's too deterministic for my taste and I don't like how she deals with morality. So my favorites are the first four books when it is about little kids and this isn't quite apparent. :p

You can make it a bit more acceptable if you add in the whole Neville theory to mess with the idea of a prophecy. I don't mind if you know where things will end up if you can make the journey interesting enough and/or suspenseful. It's like that example of suspense that Alfred Hitchcock gives with the bomb under the dinner table.

Misha

Banned
Agreed. Though I wouldn't necessarily use those words :p
The first four books were amazing escapism for a kid

I am okay with

hot wax
biting
hair pulling
slapping

that sort of stuff

I may be receptive to certain other things but "working out and getting sore" isn't really the same type of thing!

Okay, maybe I'll try watching the movies. I'm not against kid movies, honestly, I thought Zootopia was pretty great. The sloth part had me rolling.

The movies are decent, some better than others, but the books are a lot better imo.

Pau

You can make it a bit more acceptable if you add in the whole Neville theory to mess with the idea of a prophecy. I don't mind if you know where things will end up if you can make the journey interesting enough and/or suspenseful. It's like that example of suspense that Alfred Hitchcock gives with the bomb under the dinner table.
Oh, I don't mean so much narratively as in the prophecy stuff but rather in how she views people's lives. Like the sorting houses. The biggest example would be how everyone in Slytherin except for Slughorn and almost everyone in Ravenclaw ended up not fighting in the Battle for Hogwarts. So on the one hand she's like "Slytherin isn't the evil house" except that it totally is.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Got Arkham Knight on sale

Initial verdict, not having played other Batmans:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I am okay with

hot wax
biting
hair pulling
slapping

that sort of stuff

I was making a case for the books not the movies!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
yeah they're definitely cuddling up-in-cold-weather-movies.

I dunno mang. I read them all, but if we're honest here, JK Rowling is such a bad writer, it can be literally (ha) distracting at times. I do like the stories a lot, but tons of the books are all over the place when it comes to writing quality, narration, coherence, world logic and regular logic and mood.

idk. I like them, but I would never call them "sooo good" :/

edit: What Timu said. Asylum and City are grand. Especially Asylum.

Jobbs

Banned
Got Arkham Knight on sale

Initial verdict, not having played other Batmans:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I played and finished the first two. I got Arkham Knight and... Yeah. Ehhh. There's a lot of fatigue with the franchise for me. I may have made it through but the dealbreaker was the tank. I don't want to drive a tank. I don't want to shoot tank drones. I just want to be batman.

Batman is a detective. And maybe a bit of a ninja or something. He's not a tank commander. The whole tank thing was so tonally wrong for batman and so boring for the gameplay that I'm still in awe of it

I was making a case for the books not the movies!

ok please don't yell at me I'm still shaken up from my harrowing experience :eek:

zeemumu

Oh, I don't mean so much narratively as in the prophecy stuff but rather in how she views people's lives. Like the sorting houses. The biggest example would be how everyone in Slytherin except for Slughorn and almost everyone in Ravenclaw ended up not fighting in the Battle for Hogwarts. So on the one hand she's like "Slytherin isn't the evil house" except that it totally is.

I remember why Slytherin House was booted from the fight, by why Ravenclaw again?

Draco should have totally flipped by the end. He was set up for a redemption arc but then nothing

He kinda did, granted it wasn't so much a heel turn as it was just bailing out.

By the way, Psychonauts is up on Humble Bundle E3 ticket if anyone wants it.

jb1234

I played and finished the first two. I got Arkham Knight and... Yeah. Ehhh. There's a lot of fatigue with the franchise for me. I may have made it through but the dealbreaker was the tank. I don't want to drive a tank. I don't want to shoot tank drones. I just want to be batman.

I played Asylum and City and that was enough for me. I don't tend to last long in franchises where the games play similarly. Only the Souls games keep me gripped.

Pau

Draco should have totally flipped by the end. He was set up for a redemption arc but then nothing
Deathly Hollow spoilers:
He didn't give them up when he could have. He's redeemed in my eyes.

It sucks that we never really got to see how Sirius moved away from his toxic environment. That would have been an interesting way of going against the whole deterministic thing. But even then, he was already sorted into Gryffindor at a young age. :p Maybe the whole Regulus thing.

Jobbs

Banned
I have 4 audible credits sitting :eek: That's 4 books I could be "reading". I have perpetual decision paralyses there.

I played Asylum and City and that was enough for me. I don't tend to last long in franchises where the games play similarly. Only the Souls games keep me gripped.

I've been seriously considering getting into Witcher 3 at last. I was watching my mom play it on twitch and it looked pretty dang fun.

And OMG DRAGON QUEST 7 ON 3DS LOOKS GOOD! <3

(Dragon Quest is one of my favorite all time franchises)

Misha

Banned
He kinda did, granted it wasn't so much a heel turn as it was just bailing out.

Deathly Hollow spoilers:
He didn't give them up when he could have. He's redeemed in my eyes.

It sucks that we never really got to see how Sirius moved away from his toxic environment. That would have been an interesting way of going against the whole deterministic thing. But even then, he was already sorted into Gryffindor at a young age. :p Maybe the whole Regulus thing.
Well yeah but he was still with his family at the end. It's the kind of small progress that should have happened a book ago so we could see the payoff. Instead, you just assume he'll eventually rebel against his family and get into a decent career by himself. It's really an interesting story that happens all the time Irl but it's sad we didn't get the chance to witness it

I've only read/seen the first Harry Potter
I've got all the books so maybe I should read them all now

As for batman
Batman arkham city was amazing, loved all the villains and locations , the game felt endless , never did do the catwoman vs poison ivy since I bought the game used so I think I missed out
Batman Arkham Asylum killed my Xbox 360 lol, I was setting up the sticky paste bomb and right when I hit the detonator the console went black, the screen went black , it was so weird 0_o
I unplugged it and still just black , ejected the disc , just black
Weird af

zeemumu

I have 4 audible credits sitting :eek: That's 4 books I could be "reading". I have perpetual decision paralyses there.

I got Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire on Audible some time ago. I don't remember why I got Goblet of Fire but Prisoner of Azkaban is the one that I'm the fuzziest on due to time travel and the fact that I've really only seen the movie once because I lent a friend my DVD and never got it back.

Well yeah but he was still with his family at the end. It's the kind of small progress that should have happened a book ago so we could see the payoff. Instead, you just assume he'll eventually rebel against his family and get into a decent career by himself. It's really an interesting story that happens all the time Irl but it's sad we didn't get the chance to witness it

There was no point in rebelling against his family. They bailed out too, remember? Except his aunt.

jb1234

I've been seriously considering getting into Witcher 3 at last. I was watching my mom play it on twitch and it looked pretty dang fun.

And OMG DRAGON QUEST 7 ON 3DS LOOKS GOOD! <3

(Dragon Quest is one of my favorite all time franchises)

I don't think I could handle a DQVII replay. The first time around took me 104 hours. Great game but damn.

Buy A Little Life and then have an emotional breakdown during it.

Literally cried for like 30 minutes after finishing it and felt awful for a few days after. (I mean uh, it's so bright and cheerful and fun. Puppies and rainbows and smiles. I swear.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom