• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

I feel like the word "judgmental" gets a bad rap.

People use their internal logic to make judgments all the time. It's how decisions get made.

Instead of judgmental lets just call it what it is: being rude.

dontbefuckingrude.gif

Jobbs

Banned

People use their internal logic to make judgments all the time. It's how decisions get made.

dontbefuckingrude.gif

the problem is words mean things and you're wrong

judg·men·tal
ˌjəjˈmen(t)l/
adjective
adjective: judgemental
of or concerning the use of judgment.
"judgmental errors"
having or displaying an excessively critical point of view.
"I don't like to sound judgmental, but it was a big mistake"

synonyms: critical, censorious, condemnatory, disapproving, disparaging, deprecating, negative, overcritical, hypercritical

Misha

Banned

dontbefuckingrude.gif

But one of the main definitions of judgmental is judging harshly. Maybe it doesn't make literal sense but you are waaaaaayyyyy too late to make the literal definition the only meaning of the word

Full Definition of judgmental

1 : of, relating to, or involving judgment

2: characterized by a tendency to judge harshly <judgmental prigs>

Jobbs

Banned
Way to be boxed in by whatever dictionary.

I've never heard or interpreted "judgemental" as anything but in line with the dictionary definition. Sometimes there's tension between actual usage and dictionary definition, but in this case there's not and you're completely out on a limb sir

Symphonia

Banned
anigif_enhanced-17217-1414331186-5.gif

This is how I picture people when they're talking to me.

FloatOn

I've never heard or interpreted "judgemental" as anything but in line with the dictionary definition. Sometimes there's tension between actual usage and dictionary definition, but in this case there's not and you're completely out on a limb sir

Nah

judgment
&#712;j&#601;jm&#601;nt/
noun
the ability to make considered decisions or come to sensible conclusions.

The verb form of this shouldn't have the emotional spin on it. Being judgmental should just mean making decisions or sensible conclusions. But because people are afraid to make declarative statements these days "judgmental" in its current form is being used.

Calling someone fat isn't judgmental it's rude.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I still don't understand that rating, I got 5 stars though so it's cool

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Did you all know that the Illuminati and Free Masons are running this country into the ground?

My Uber driver just let me know that. I feel somewhat enlightened now.

Jobbs

Banned
Did you all know that the Illuminati and Free Masons are running this country into the ground?

My Uber driver just let me know that.

I'm afraid of uber, especially after hearing the E3 story

hopefully I never have to use it

Why does smell mean stink? A dumpster stinks, it doesn't smell

language is a living organism. probably derived from phrasing like "the dumpster smells like shit" or whatever, and ultimately got reduced to just "smells"

Butts>>>>>>nuts

Disagree

nylock-nut-250x250.jpg

>

cigarette_butt.jpg

My Uber driver just let me know that. I feel somewhat enlightened now.

When someone starts rambling about conspiracy theories, I try to one-up them. Like in this situation I would have gone in about the lizard men, how Hillary is not-so-secretly a serpent and servant of the devil. lol

But yeah sometimes it's grating when all you want to do is go home or do your business or whatever.

Why does smell mean stink? A dumpster stinks, it doesn't smell

Because most things don't have a strong smell, and most strong smells are foul.

Granadier

I'm afraid of uber, especially after hearing the E3 story

hopefully I never have to use it

What E3 story? Usually I try to use Lyft, but it's only when I have to go grocery shopping since I can't load up my bike with bags.

When someone starts rambling about conspiracy theories, I try to one-up them. Like in this situation I would have gone in about the lizard men, how Hillary is not-so-secretly a serpent and servant of the devil. lol

But yeah sometimes it's grating when all you want to do is go home or do your business or whatever.

Hmm, I hadn't heard of the lizard men. If this happens again now I'll have a story to one up them with.

Jobbs

Banned
I just leap at any chance to say "living organism" whether it's fair or not

Re Uber A Destructoid editor was using Uber during E3 and she saw the driver mark that she had been dropped off but didn't drop her off and kept going and going. She eventually bolted at a red light.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
What is Uber exactly?

Jobbs

Banned
I have a live VO recording session tomorrow after not doing such a thing in quite a while. For some reason I'm feeling apprehensive about it. Weird because it was never a problem in the past.

Granadier

Hahaha oh no. This is totally how I felt my freshman year of high school when I was attending a Catholic all-girls school.

That would be brutal. This professor in particular was one of my worst teachers I've ever had. Very disorganized and didn't care about the students or learning at all. Just going through the motions since he was tenured. My friend wrote that review after we made it through the class.

I am thirtsy

Welcome ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Oh and thanks for the congrats on the last page. People have been shipping us so there's no escape I think.

Con: conspiracy theorist. Had a heated argument Friday night about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom