• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also realized Feng is kinda making the "I've made a huge mistake" face in that last pic XD

NdNGbXC.gif

Finally someone picked up on it :p

Jobbs

Banned
Jobbs, you called it man. Daredevil gets kinda boring halfway through :/

I think it picks up again after a time, but yeah --
Elektra is sexy and everything, but I just didn't feel at all engaged by anything going on in those episodes following 4

You sure you're heterosexual? Maybe you are Fengsexual?

[1950s American teenage girl voice]

He's just so dreamy.

He is an aussie dreamboat <3 <3 <3

The only part of Daredevil S2 I don't like is the contrived wall between Matt and Foggy. Friends not being friends because they can't communicate is the worst writing ploy in the history of storytelling. It's one thing to have a philosophical or moral disagreement, like whether killing badguys is wrong, but to just not tell the other person what you're up to and have it lead to lasting divergence is so boring.

Please make up. 2 episodes left.

Jobbs

Banned
The only part of Daredevil S2 I don't like is the contrived wall between Matt and Foggy. Friends not being friends because they can't communicate is the worst writing ploy in the history of storytelling. It's one thing to have a philosophical or moral disagreement, like whether killing badguys is wrong, but to just not tell the other person what you're up to and have it lead to lasting divergence is so boring.

Oh god... Yes.. Thank you

I want to throw Foggy off a roof

zeemumu

It was only made worse by the fact that Matt could've resolved it at any time, but each time he just doubled down and made the tension worse. I blame Matt more than I do Foggy.

I'm gonna start wearing a bullet proof vest everywhere cause let's be real these stray projectiles are dangerous for gays

Who else died?

I've lost count with the amount of shows/games/movies/etc that have terribly manufactured tension that can easily be wiped with a simple "conversation"

Oh god... Yes.. Thank you

I want to throw Foggy off a roof

It was only made worse by the fact that Matt could've resolved it at any time, but each time he just doubled down and made the tension worse. I blame Matt more than I do Foggy.

I've lost count with the amount of shows/games/movies/etc that have terribly manufactured tension that can easily be wiped with a simple "conversation"

&#9829;

I want to know if writers do it because they're seriously out of touch and think it's good writing, or if they're beholden to a certain level of drama or duration of runtime, so it's easy padding. I have to imagine it's the latter because it happens so much more frequently in long-form content than in, say, movies and short stories.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Every single time Foggy and Matt had their little bitch arguments it took me completely out of the show. I can't stand that stuff, and it shouldn't even be considered for writing. It's fitting for Degrassi or some other high school show, not one involving adults.

plz dont spoil!!!

Non of this is S2 specific. The Foggy + Matt bitch fits were prevalent in S1 all throughout.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I feel like I was just complaining about Monday a few hours ago, but that was last week, and now it's a new Monday.

D:

zeemumu

&#9829;

I want to know if writers do it because they're seriously out of touch and think it's good writing, or if they're beholden to a certain level of drama or duration of runtime, so it's easy padding. I have to imagine it's the latter because it happens so much more frequently in long-form content than in, say, movies and short stories.

It's a sub-trope of that main trope where unnecessary drama happens between two characters that could probably be solved with a single conversation, or one sentence. Best example of this is The Wicker Man. The guy has a roundabout conversation with this woman to find out if the person he's looking for is dead. This should have gone
"is she dead?"
"yes"

But instead it goes

"is she dead?"
"in a way. We don't believe in death here."

jb1234

&#9829;

It depends on the show (and the network). A lot of the CW shows in particular use that trope a lot because there seems to be a network-mandated requirement on interpersonal drama and conflict that could easily be resolved if the characters would just COMMUNICATE (but never do until its too late) is the easiest and fastest to write.

SystemBug

Every single time Foggy and Matt had their little butch arguments it took me completely out of the show. I can't stand that stuff, and it shouldn't even be considered for writing. It's fitting for Degrassi or some other high school show, not one involving adults.

Non of this is S2 specific. The Foggy + Matt bitch fits were prevalent in S1 all throughout.

But saying it now while I'm still mid-way through the season is like now telling me i gotta expect this shit later on

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I think they are mostly aware and using it as padding. Also very common when the shows get renewed for multiple seasons when they didn't think through the possibilities of the series lasting more than expected. My issue with that is that often it damages characters and their personalities because they simply dont know how to extend their roles in the season. Some characters become catty bitches, some become more distant and in some cases which are well known killed or moving away when they reach a block on what to do with them.

I tend to prefer shows with small seasons for that reason to be honest.

zeemumu

But saying it now while I'm still mid-way through the season is like now telling me i gotta expect this shit later on

Expect
Karen's side mission to amount to jack shit.

All of this fawning over actresses made me remember when I thought Paloma Kwiatkowski (Cody Brennan from Bates Motel) fricken amazing because she had that awesome smirk look and was the same age as me. I was scared that Norman would end up killing her at some point in the show since that seemed to happen to everyone else that he got involved with.

Oh, sorry. I didn't think it was a spoiler, but that's probably because I'm not very sensitive to spoilers myself.

It's a sub-trope of that main trope where unnecessary drama happens between two characters that could probably be solved with a single conversation, or one sentence.

That's a great point. Ultimately all stories are contrived, they happen because the writers decided something should happen. Sometimes the events are logical and other times they're a bit silly, but some of the sillier stuff can lend to bigger adventures. Maybe it's just that long-form content stresses disbelief more.

edit: I mean there are good examples. Like none of The Sixth Sense would have happened if someone told
Bruce he was dead at the start
. I'm sure I could come up with a handful of other examples. But it becoming a crutch or overly drawn out is just not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom