• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

I actually started watching that a while back (cos the first series is from the same director as Mitsudomoe and YuruYuri). Like Hidamari Sketch I really should just sit down and watch the rest.
It's pretty fucking great. The novelty wears off a bit after the first season, but it's still very enjoyable

UZZeigP.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I like how BGBW's joke vote got included into that.
I love how my comment has even caused confusion. I suppose this is an important lesson on actually reading what you quote. I sure hope kayos90 is simply adding to the fire and not being silly enough to think my comment of all things is serious.

wonzo

Banned
I love how my comment has even caused confusion. I suppose this is an important lesson on actually reading what you quote. I sure hope kayos90 is simply adding to the fire and not being silly enough to think my comment of all things is serious.
dude its kayos. lol

Jex

[Yozakura Quartet] - 4

I would have thought that a show with this much fanservice in it already wouldn't need to devote half an episode to 'pool antics' but I was dead wrong.

I'm sure this will make a number of people rather happy.

Jarmel

Banned
Shin Mazinger Z -fin
Welp, that's that. I'm getting real sick of watching Imagawa not giving any fucking closure. I understand it's not his fault as the anime should transition into Great Mazinger but I think we know that's not going to happen. Also since Imagawa has supposedly a lot of changes, I doubt it's worth my time to watch the other versions as a way of sustaining me. It's just somewhat frustrating to be constantly blue balled in this manner. Normally I support adaptations not finishing if the source material isn't done so you don't get shitfests like the original FMA anime adaptation or Soul Eater, but it's still frustrating when you get cases like this where you're done and there's nothing else to do but be annoyed that chances are you'll never see the end of the story. Anyway I suppose I should start commenting on the show itself.
I'll say it, this is a poorly animated show. There are some really good storyboards and keyframes in general but the action isn't that spectacular. It feels like the show was run off of a shoestring budget but they did the best they could. I'm also not a fan of the 70's artstyle and I've made that clear before so I wasn't really charmed by the nostalgia throwbacks visually. Even stuff like the mecha designs aren't my cup of tea, not to say they're bad, it's just not for me. There are stuff though like the digital composition which I thought looked poor at times. I do like the postcard moments a lot though and I thought it fit the mood of the show pretty well.
The pacing is fast. I've never seen a Go Nagai show before but I'm pretty sure I understand when people were saying that KLK's pacing is closer to a Go Nagai show than anything else. The show really doesn't slow down except for a couple of episodes and it's pretty much nonstop action for a good chunk of it. For the most part, it works. The material isn't exactly deep or really that tragic so slowing down the material wouldn't have served any particular purpose.
The show itself is an epic, I don't mean that in the 2000's term where anytime anything exciting happens on screen, it's 'epic'. It's epic in the terms of being similar to a Greek tragedy or play both in material and execution. In regards to the later for example, many events are spoiled through the first episode, something greek plays are known for. Also on an individual basis, the preview is shown before the ending credits meaning that the audience is further spoiled for the next episode. There is also the heavy use of flashbacks, another common trait in an epic poem. One major aspect that stuck out to me is that of the narrator in the show being a substitute for a poet. That's something that I feel works better here compared to in Jojo, where it feels overbearing. Also the narrator in general doesn't appear nearly as often compared to Jojo as well. There are other aspects of the show intended to make it more play-like such such as some of the shots, the OST, and the general supernatural involvement in the show. It does give Mazinger Z a distinct feel. I wasn't really wild about this at first, mostly because it felt like way too much at times and was too chaotic but they did a good job of reigning everything in and making it controlled. It's especially interesting as a mech show because of the way everything is framed, it gives it another lens to view events from. There is a lot of Greek elements to the show which made some of the later stuff interesting although partially confusing.
The characters themselves were a bit of a mixed bag. Certain characters were done remarkably well such as Baron Ashura, Boss, Tsubasa Nishikiori, and Dr. Hell (to an extent). Even some of the other minor characters such as the Kurogane Five and the Detective were interesting and fun to watch to a degree. Where I had an issue with was Koji and Sayaka. Sayaka is essentially the token love interest and doesn't really serve any purpose except for fanservice and to be ignored. As for Koji, the problem is that nothing is really done with him. He gets angry, yells, and fights. There isn't any sort of depth to him and it stands out in contrast to some of the characters around him. The Baron has issues with her loyalty to Dr.Hell and the Mycenaeans. Tsubasa Nishikiori is a conflicted woman driven by her past but is extremely cold and calculating, preying on other people's perception of her as helpless. It's a very interesting look at a
mother. Especially since it maintains that balance after her identity is found out.
Even Dr.Hell seems to care for his subordinates and there is the final twist which depicts in him a somewhat decent light. Koji however is mainly driven by revenge and for the most part it's just him in attack mode.
The narrative itself was pretty straight forward but it did have a few twists. As Dr.Hell proclaimed, most of the battles were of deceit and backstabbery. I did have a few issues with the logical coherency of parts such as the Mycenaean flashback and whether they were in actual memories or somehow time traveled.
Overall I thought the directing was fine except for the Lorelei arc where everything got not only overbearing but boring.
In short, I'm not in love with the show. I really wish it was better animated and possibly had a different artstyle but it is what it is. I do think it is generally good, however, just elements of it aren't my personal preferences.

fertygo

As long you like Danube α1 fight episode, we're good jarmel.. that's my favorite eps.
EDIT : oh shit, you're not..
You're right though, fuck Kabuto family drama.

Jarmel

Banned
As long you like Danube α1 fight episode, we're good jarmel.. that's my favorite eps.
EDIT : oh shit, you're not..
You're right though, fuck Kabuto family drama.

Yea I really disliked the Lorelei arc. They pretty much ruined any semblance of a twist and then waste like three episodes on a dead obvious outcome which cuts any emotional tie you can get to Lorelei as you know she's getting put on ice. Then you're slammed with all the Kabuto family drama and love triangle nonsense on top of it. Not to mention it's all taken pretty seriously making the episodes a bit draggy as well. There's also the ridiculous heelturn that Lorelei gets, which while understandable to how she gets to that point, it happens way too fast and again undercuts any emotional tie to Lorelei. I did like the ending of the mech fight though with the scene of the broken mech.

I thought the Mycenaean flashback/time travel arc was the best. You got characters seemingly dying, some great fights, and explanations to boot.

fertygo

Yea I really disliked the Lorelei arc. They pretty much ruined any semblance of a twist and then waste like three episodes on a dead obvious outcome which cuts any emotional tie you can get to Lorelei as you know she's getting put on ice. Then you're slammed with all the Kabuto family drama and love triangle nonsense on top of it. Not to mention it's all taken pretty seriously making the episodes a bit draggy as well. There's also the ridiculous heelturn that Lorelei gets, which while understandable to how she gets to that point, it happens way too fast and again undercuts any emotional tie to Lorelei. I did like the ending of the mech fight though with the scene of the broken mech.

I thought the Mycenaean flashback/time travel arc was the best.

While I'm not too fond with Kabuto family drama, I really liked Lorelai's dynamic.. but the biggest thing is indeed the arc ending, made me teared up for a bit lol, that last shot :(

fertygo

People thought Nichijou was better than Fumoffu? I've only seen a couple of episodes but I have a nasty feeling that would be wrong with a capital W.

Maybe they're from alternative universe that can watch the version that with the Hakase footage cut out.

Lain

White Album 2 ep.4

I'm really enjoying this. I liked the first White Album too, but the main char there was made to be kind of a piece of shit, relationships wise.
The main guy here so far seems different and his relationships with the 2 girls is way more appealing. Also the subdued love rivalry between the girls is shaping up to give life to some nice drama.

The Eccentric Family EP 1-6
Really lighthearted at the start, but I can feel heavy stuff coming my way. It's absolutely gorgeous in motion and in stills. It doesn't feel like an exaggeration to call it this year's Tsuritama visually imo. At the start my biggest complaint was in relation to the "incident" the family experienced and how nonchalant every seemed about it most of the time, but in episode 6 you can tell how awkward Yasaburo felt talking to the professor. All that remains is more information on Benten for the show to feel a bit more complete. Certain stuff like the scene at the lake with Benten and the master definitely knocks the whole "lighthearted" comment down a few pegs though. That was straight fucked up.

Kyousougiga 0
Monogatari EP 17
tumblr_m8e3exveno1rcjmu8o1_400.gif

Kyousougiga has my attention. I will continue to watch it. Monogatari? Not even Berlusconi can touch that.

Hajime no Ippo (whatever it's called) EP 4
Glad to see Aoki strutting his stuff. I can't remember the last time I saw an episode giving him this much screen time. This episode struck my funny bone right at it's core with the similarities between the champ and Aoki haha. The crowd were real assholes in this episode with their thirst for gimmicks. Goddamn I'd be tight as hell if I were a part of the Kamogawa gym.

Strike the blood EP 4
This show is moving at 500mph. It doesn't bother to explain whatever story centric terms it throws at you. Leaves more room for action, but it leaves everything feeling a bit empty. Oh well, I'll continue to watch because... I don't know.

Galilei Donna EP 3
They fucking want me to drop this. Also, this show just likes to resolve stuff behind the scenes eh? Mom is suddenly in that condition after a
certain trauma
and the old man just
escapes
without any sort of explanation or anything? It feels like they're not even trying. Karate sister is a real selfish fuck too.

Steins;Gate EP 13-16
Hoooooooly fuck

I can't do this. I can't hold these feelings back. This feels really well done compared to pretty much all the other shows involving
time travel
. Shit is real and the sacrifices made along the way may very well be permanent. I feel so bad for Daru. If it were me I wouldn't be mad at Okabe, but... I don't even know what I'd do. Mayuri was a real detective in this episode which caught me off guard, but her deductions made sense. I'm glad Suzuha at least got something tiny out of all this.

God... I had to watch some Arakawa under the bridge and Usagi Drop after episode 16. That was way too heavy an experience.

I actually started watching that a while back (cos the first series is from the same director as Mitsudomoe and YuruYuri). Like Hidamari Sketch I really should just sit down and watch the rest.

I hope you enjoy it, It's one of my favourites, especially the first series.

Everyone should, if they haven't already. watch Mitsudomoe, cracked me up aplenty.

Theonik

Anyone here ever heard of MVM entertainment? They seem to have picked up the Patlabor OVAs and FLCL in the UK for BD release and am curious of their track record.
Mazinger Z 23-

I don't really want to say the show is sexist but it kinda is. Also the rest of these mecha pilots are a bunch of jobbers.
Go Nagai? Sexist? Say it isn't so!

I thought GAF had rules against personal attacks. :(

Speaking of "attacks", Attack No. 1 showed up!
I was super excited to watch this since this show is basically Ace wo Nerae but with volleyball (and also like four times the length).

Even the OP is similar, with the enka-style song and of course, girls being hit by balls!
http://i.imgur.com/VCULtCcl.png

Also, bitchiness!
http://i.imgur.com/LwrEScxl.png

70s colour schemes!
http://i.imgur.com/NeTvGlEl.png

Haxor moves!
http://i.imgur.com/4wS1VLL.png

Cheaper versions of Dezaki postcards!
http://i.imgur.com/zQmZayf.png

That said, so far anyway, the show really isn't as good as Ace wo Nerae. It looks terrible, even by 70s anime standards where in Ace, you basically had the same 5 tennis animations looping over and over, and the main character is basically the most perfect girl ever.

But hey, 70s shoujo is 70s shoujo, and this is one of the biggest series from that era!
Fucking finally. Now someone needs to finish Ace wo Nerae Season 2 and the ending OVA.

In related news, Japan's birth rate has hit a shocking new low.
Clearly Jexhius has been brainwashed by the BBC.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Stop posting bad info. All wrong. Scrub confirmed. That's not the ED, that's an insert song. And no one said anything about Mazinger. Learn Japanese. :p

Extended ed = extended EDITION of what I posted prior since I'm lazy to type obviously not the ending. Learn ponpospeak.

Also thought I heard the guy with mini eyebrows say it, oh well. Your 100% "legit" "restream" must have had better audio ( ≖‿≖) :p

Edit: Is MAZINGER even a gundam unit (lol)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gingitsune Episode 4:

I'll be honest, I found this episode really dragged its feet at times, mainly due to lingering way too long on new kid Satoru's issues and angst for far too long. Otherwise it was a fine episode.

BluWacky

Anyone here ever heard of MVM entertainment?

Yes, they've been around for donkey's years - they originally released Sailor Moon on DVD here!

Might be worth waiting for feedback on FLCL, though, from someone who buys it. MVM sometimes source their masters from the US and sometimes from Australia; the US disc version of FLCL is apparently inferior to the Aussie version.

duckroll

Extended ed = extended EDITION of what I posted prior since I'm lazy to type obviously not the ending. Learn ponpospeak.

Also thought I heard the guy with mini eyebrows say it, oh well. Your 100% "legit" "restream" must have had better audio ( ≖‿≖) :p

Edit: Is MAZINGER even a gundam unit (lol)

No Mazinger isn't even the same franchise. :p

LOSER! SCRUB KING! POWERED BY SCRUBBOT!!!!! ^_^

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 9~11

I've become increasingly pleasantly surprised at the way this show is handling itself as the plot progresses. Whenever the series seems to be progressing in a way that makes you think "Yeah, this is just some black/white good vs. evil conflict" it knows how to throw in a healthy dose of gray that blurs the line between the people on either side of the conflict. And when it takes a break from the action and presents a more episodic, self contained story it's willing to touch an aspects of SciFi/Human Nature that genuinely leaves you thinking about the ideas its presented.

Yamato 2199 - 10
I am EXTREMELY happy that they addressed the whole inherently humanoid alien aspect of the show. What I thought was something that was more or less a cop-out for making truly alien aliens (Star Trek, "Its a different color so it's alien!") is actually a key plot point in the series, the other species that the Earthlings are fighting are actually Human. Can't wait to see the explanation for why that is.

Theonik

Yes, they've been around for donkey's years - they originally released Sailor Moon on DVD here!

Might be worth waiting for feedback on FLCL, though, from someone who buys it. MVM sometimes source their masters from the US and sometimes from Australia; the US disc version of FLCL is apparently inferior to the Aussie version.
Well I've never seen a BD release from them so I had no idea what to expect. And yeah I should probably wait on FLCL considering it's an upscale especially.
In unrelated news my copy of Perfect Blue seems to be mysteriously delayed on amazon. Much sadness.

DiGiKerot

The MVM release of FLCL is the Madman/Aus version , or so I am told.

Well I've never seen a BD release from them so I had no idea what to expect. And yeah I should probably wait on FLCL considering it's an upscale especially. In unrelated news my copy of Perfect Blue seems to be mysteriously delayed on amazon. Much sadness.

The DVD should be out on time, but the BD release has been delayed for unspecified packaging reasons.

Well I've never seen a BD release from them so I had no idea what to expect. And yeah I should probably wait on FLCL considering it's an upscale especially. In unrelated news my copy of Perfect Blue seems to be mysteriously delayed on amazon. Much sadness.

MVM done the Bakemonogatari BDs, they are good.

Theonik

MVM done the Bakemonogatari BDs, they are good.
As if I'd buy Kusomonogatai! Anyway, gonna take a plunge on Patlabor then. FLCL is coming in the next couple of days so I'll look around for reviews of that. Thanks for all the help!

The DVD should be out on time, but the BD release has been delayed for unspecified packaging reasons.
I see. Well I'm not exactly in a rush to get it since I won't even be re-watching it any time soon. I didn't even get an email from amazon though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Which US version, the Synch-Point release or the Funimation release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom