• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kill la Kill 08
z8Ih7Ad.jpg
This was a pretty poor episode. The events occurring failed to add to the backstory in any meaningful way, instead reiterating the acutely obvious in tedious detail. At the same time the plot was not really moved forward, and the stage wound up being pointlessly set for the entire episode when really only the last minute or so mattered. Many of the set pieces here also just felt extremely weak, and not exactly conducive to action that held any sort of tension. Ideas presented like car battles on the highway and these pillars rising up out of the ground for students to fight over positioning on are either completely passed over or sputter out before they get going.

The characters are also starting to get tired. Not any one in particular, but more the fact that each seems so sorely beholden to a single trait. Everyone winds up feeling super flat and predictable, from the cardboard cut out one star villains that get blown over every episode to the main cast. The series is too simplistic and lacks likable characters to coast along. This episode needed to shake things up and keep pushing forward, but instead my excitement just continued to fizz out.

Jarmel

Banned
Kill la Kill 08

This was a pretty poor episode. The events occurring failed to add to the backstory in any meaningful way, instead reiterating the acutely obvious in tedious detail. At the same time the plot was not really moved forward, and the stage wound up being pointlessly set for the entire episode when really only the last minute or so mattered. Many of the set pieces here also just felt extremely weak, and not exactly conducive to action that held any sort of tension. Ideas presented like car battles on the highway and these pillars rising up out of the ground for students to fight over positioning on are either completely passed over or sputter out before they get going.

The characters are also starting to get tired. Not any one in particular, but more the fact that each seems so sorely beholden to a single trait. Everyone winds up feeling super flat and predictable, from the cardboard cut out one star villains that get blown over every episode to the main cast. The series is too simplistic and lacks likable characters to coast along. This episode needed to shake things up and keep pushing forward, but instead my excitement just continued to fizz out.

Yea the car battle was a complete miss for what that could have been. They could have done something ala Matrix Reloaded but nope.

Anyway, pupa finally has a confirmed airing start date of January 9. Here's a new PV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTsUfCeQB2o

Those eating sounds sound so good.

Infinite Stratos S2 7 - Another average episode for the season, overall. That is to say, it wasn't particularly good, but could have been worse. As with some other episodes this season, this episode was broken into two parts.

The first part was Houki's first segment featuring just her this season; she's supposedly the main girl, of the five in the core harem, so it's interesting that it took so long. I guess Char and Laura must be more popular... understandably. Houki is okay, but Char and Laura are better. Still, most of this Houki segment was decent. It was kind of predictable that the photographer kept trying to get them to be closer, but it worked... until it hit the predictable, and always-really-stupid, "the girl hurts her leg and the guy has to carry her home" scene. Really this almost never happens, but if you'd believe anime you'd think it happens constantly... and of course thanks to sexism it's almost always the girl who gets 'hurt'. So yeah, that part was kind of bad. The rest before that was okay though.

The second part is about a new character introduced at the beginning of this episode, Russia's younger sister. Apparentl ythere is going to be a pairs competition, and Russia convinces Ichika into pairing up with her sister -- though she tells him not to tell her sister that she (Russia elder) wanted him to be with her (the sister), but doesn't explain why. She says that her sister is "gloomy", and by the end, yes, I can see what she means... Ichika has some work to do to get her to accept him as a teammate. But the episode ends without resolving this plotline, so yeah, this will certainly continue next episode (which should be soon now!).

For ep. 7's at-most-ten-seconds-of-plot,
Chifuyu denies having any siblings other than Ichika. So, either she's lying, or doesn't know about Madoka. I assume it's more likely the former.
This season sure is dragging out its plot pretty ridiculously! The amount of actual plot per episode is so ludicrously low...

IS S2 OVA - This OVA is a longer, more animated version of the water-park and festival parts from episode one that were skipped over with only a slideshow in the original episode. Well, the water park part, at least, is now fully animated, and it's the moderately amusing 'harem antics at a water park' stuff viewers surely were expecting. It's stupid, but amusing. The festival part, though... what happened? It's still half-slideshow! Seriously, they added very little animation to the festival part. Considering how much people must have paid for this disc, that's pretty awful. That made this OVA somewhat disappointing overall. The water park part was as expected, though; just your average stupid harem-antics-and-bikinis stuff.

As for some details, Pika-tan appears for a moment in this OVA! She's been inexplicably absent from the main episodes, so it was good she got in here. Seriously, put her in the show already. She was one of the best characters in S1, after all. Otherwise, Cecelia's plan was clever, and worked, too... but only for a few minutes. The multiple trips on the twin-slide were amusing too, and weren't 100% predictable either (
neither one ended with a lost bikini top!
. And
them all working together
to win Laura that giant prize was nice. But yeah... finish animating it before shipping an OVA. Come on.

Infinite Stratos S2 7

http://i.imgur.com/hclftp9.jpg?1

http://www.adorpheus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/jake.gif

OMG Houki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That entire first half with her and Ichika at the photo shoot was excellent.

And the scene with them walking together afterwards was absolutely sweet as well.
Most of Houki's scene was decent, but yeah, as I said above, that part where she hurts her leg and he has to carry her was very stupid.

Poor Laura though.

But that's her punishment for not knowing big sis Chifuyu was around to protect her dense little brother.
Yeah, poor Laura, but that was inevitable given that Chifuyu was around...

Infinite Stratos 07
Next episode will contain some delicious harem tears. Also
lol at the imouto basically shutting Ichika down. Such a shame this won't last and they foreshadowed that fact to hell and back.
For the spoiler part... yeah, I'm sure that'll happen eventually, sadly. :(

Infinite Stratos 2 - 7

That's it, it's over. I can't believe this. All the artistry, all the craft, all the subtlety and nuance of the first season is gone now. Admittedly, season 2 had been shaky to start but it's clear it peaked with the brilliance of episode 5 and the audacity of episode 6.

Here now, we get something that's no better than your standard LN fare, no better than your standard harem anime episode, and I'm sorry that anyone has to sit through it. Oh IS where did you go astray?
S1 had artistry, craft, subtlety, and nuance? Really? Sure, it was definitely different from S2, and is better, but I don't think I'd use those words to describe most of it... I mean, considering how horrendously terrible the writing and scripting usually were! I think more that the problem is that this season is just generic, instead of hitting that perfect level of "so bad it's good" that the first season did. Also, they added in way too much generic "and then the girls hit Ichika" stuff that the first season didn't have (and was better without).

I don't know what nuances were in IS1 but Russia plus cloned or whatever Chifuyu make IS2 the superior dumb harem shit.
Russia and Madoka are great, but aren't so great that they entirely make up for the generic mediocrity of the rest of the show. S1 is better.

Jarmel

Banned
Code: Breaker- fin
ibqA8gtunSpVyP.gif

Sigh. There are issues with this show which leave me kinda conflicted. The core story is pretty solid and the show does a great job of fleshing out multiple sides in the conflict. I really do like how they tried to flesh out Hitomi's side. It helped to give the whole fight a morally gray aspect to it. The problem is with some of the characters. Sakura remains annoying as fuck throughout the show. She is beyond grating and doesn't even seem that important to the main narrative other than to yell or play the damsel in distress. Ogami undergoes a personality shift which I think is too drastic and not supported well enough when compared to his sociopathic personality very early in the show. Not to mention Hitomi's 'pep talk' at the very end which some of the stuff in there just felt a little forced considering he was seriously trying to kill them less than five minutes prior. There are also some other minor stuff like the macguffin ring that bothered me. The show generally does feel well executed but there are some issues with the writing that trip it up.
is0XCCElvom7q.jpg

I laughed so hard at this line
The storyboarding and animation were pretty good. I mean the sequence where Hitomi goes berserk in the final episode is amazing. Soundtrack was ok except the piece where Hitomi is sitting down in the final episode which I thought was fantastic.
ipxcxYYmaRsc6.gif

In short, it was a decent watch. I wouldn't call it great but it did a fairly serviceable job.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Samurai Flamenco 7

I think Samumenco out-valvraved valvrave this week

I'm going to guess that the gorillatine/Death 13 part was either a dream, a set up by that manager guy or a drug hallucination. I would kind of enjoy the show doing something like that because it would be so insane. But I liked the slow, light hearted, slice of life comedy that it had been so far.

I still believe it couldn't have been real.
I mean they played it so straight until that moment where an author dared to mess with their own creation's internal logic.
If I am to take the universe that was established up until the last 5 minutes of episode 7 as being cannon then nothing that happened in that 5 minutes can be supported by anything EXCEPT for maybe the opening theme.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
S1 had artistry, craft, subtlety, and nuance? Really? Sure, it was definitely different from S2, and is better, but I don't think I'd use those words to describe most of it... I mean, considering how horrendously terrible the writing and scripting usually were! I think more that the problem is that this season is just generic, instead of hitting that perfect level of "so bad it's good" that the first season did. Also, they added in way too much generic "and then the girls hit Ichika" stuff that the first season didn't have (and was better without).
Narag just gets it. S1 is manic genius.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Clannad 3

So far the least enjoyable bits of the episodes for me are Sunohara. I don't find him particularly likable or particularly funny. He's just kind of there. And then he gets beat up.

So Nagisa is sickly. Is she going to die. She's going to die isn't she.

Anyway similarly enjoyable episode to the last two. Some nice moments with Tomoya and Nagisa especially. Also no segment with Weird Girl in Weird Room this time.

This show is great. Be sure to watch the second series as well before you watch the movie. Watching how the cast develops is the best part of these series, As for your worry, I won't spoil it for you but I will say this:
Do you really believe that a show with a zany sidekick like Sunohara will go that far in such a strange direction?
Clannad is a consistent anime that does what it does well so you have nothing to worry about <3

OceanBlue

This show is great. Be sure to watch the second series as well before you watch the movie. Watching how the cast develops is the best part of these series, As for your worry, I won't spoil it for you but I will say this:
Do you really believe that a show with a zany sidekick like Sunohara will go that far in such a strange direction?
Clannad is a consistent anime that does what it does well so you have nothing to worry about <3

As far as I've heard about Clannad, most people who've seen the movie recommend not watching the movie lol. I can't say since I haven't seen it, but from what I've heard of it, you should definitely go through the entirety of Clannad and After Story before you watch the movie if you intend to.

Narag just gets it. S1 is manic genius.

The question about IS S1 is, was it as "so bad it's good" as it is because the people making it WANTED it to be that way, or was it an accident caused by a perfect storm of terrible -- awful writing, incompetent scripting, etc. Which one was it? I have no idea. So yeah, IS S1 may be a 10/10 show, but "genius"? I can't agree without significant reservations -- I am not at all confident that its "quality" was intentional.

And if you really do think that IS was legit genius and not just so-bad-it's-great... why?

(Also -- S1 E11 is worse than any episode in S2 so far. That episode was just dire.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The question about IS S1 is, was it as "so bad it's good" as it is because the people making it WANTED it to be that way, or was it an accident caused by a perfect storm of terrible -- awful writing, incompetent scripting, etc. Which one was it? I have no idea. So yeah, IS S1 may be a 10/10 show, but "genius"? I can't agree without significant reservations -- I am not at all confident that its "quality" was intentional.

And if you really do think that IS was legit genius and not just so-bad-it's-great... why?

(Also -- S1 E11 is worse than any episode in S2 so far. That episode was just dire.)
S2 proves that S1 was genius. Otherwise, S1 would just be like S2!

S2 proves that S1 was genius. Otherwise, S1 would just be like S2!

Well, S2 proves that the S2 director clearly does not have any idea about why S1 was so entertaining, and it IS more generic than S1 in some ways (such as the hitting-him stuff, as I said), but I don't think that says anything about how, exactly, S1 managed to be so near-perfectly absurd.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, S2 proves that the S2 director clearly does not have any idea about why S1 was so entertaining, and it IS more generic than S1 in some ways (such as the hitting-him stuff, as I said), but I don't think that says anything about how, exactly, S1 managed to be so near-perfectly absurd.
S1 took the source material and produced a well considered adaptation that was fully aware of what it was. It could have just been a turdy harem, but it's more than that.

S1 took the source material and produced a well considered adaptation that was fully aware of what it was. It could have just been a turdy harem, but it's more than that.

This is some crazy revisionism that I never saw before S2 aired. When was Infinite Stratos ever anything but a trashy harem?

duckroll

Well, I know nothing about IS S1, but from what I watched of S2, it's a disjointed mess, has little coherence, and feels like it was slapped together while it was being made. It's not surprising to find that S2 doesn't even have a series composition credit, and along with the rumors that the author himself wants to be more involved but at the same time is creating a production mess because his episode outlines aren't being delivered on time... I would say that it probably speaks more to how poor the production of S2 is.

NouKome 7 - Quite entertaining episode! This show is bad, but it's mostly an entertaining good-bad show, apart from episode two (for reasons I said in my review of that episode). This episode was no exception: it was amusing. The episode is the match between the popular five and the reject five, and all five rounds were good stuff... or rather, the first four rounds and the President's trolling after round five were; round five itself was pretty weak (as the audience said as well). I was
kind of glad to see the clumsy girl manage a win in round two, she was so pitiful that you had to kind of root for her... and later, that sure was nice of Yukihira, to not reveal Ayame's secret to the crowd! Isn't that the second episode in a row which mentions that that giant chest of hers is "enhanced"? And imouto girl acting yandere was creepy. The question is, was it really an act, or is that her real self...
Fortunately they managed to win anyway...

Noukome ep 7

Yandere imouto
Oiled wresting
Boob insults and fondling
President trolling
And finally some feelings got stirred up along Ouka and Yukihira

Why do I look forward to watching this than kyoukai no kanata?
Didn't you just say why, in list form?

I agree that S1 ended up being like that, but the question I have is, as I said, that I'm not sure whether that "fully aware of what it was" element was intentional or a lucky accident.

Well, I know nothing about IS S1, but from what I watched of S2, it's a disjointed mess, has little coherence, and feels like it was slapped together while it was being made. It's not surprising to find that S2 doesn't even have a series composition credit, and along with the rumors that the author himself wants to be more involved but at the same time is creating a production mess because his episode outlines aren't being delivered on time... I would say that it probably speaks more to how poor the production of S2 is.
Yeah, for S2, that's all true, and I'm not at all surprised to hear that S2 has no "series composition" credit; it doesn't have any of that in the series, so if someone is working on that, they sure aren't doing much. :p. S1 is also a complete mess in many regards, but it's a much more entertaining mess than S2 is. Like, S1 is endearingly incoherent and stupid for the most part, while S2 is generic/annoyingly incoherent and stupid... that kind of thing. Watch it sometime, you know you want to... :)

Well, the word was &#26412;&#24403; -- "true", "real" -- but I think the context is more along the lines of implying "here's the actual battle instead of skipping over it like we did in the TV airing".
Ah, I see.

Yep. Same thing for the original books, too.
One book a month? Fast writing, or short "books"? I guess the latter, most likely...

I wholeheartedly agree.
Yeah, for dramas and the like particularly, it'd be great to see some hour-long animes. TV comedies are usually half an hour in live action too, but dramas are usually longer...

The economic part of this show is indeed quite awesome.
I also like that even in a mmo anime a big part of the economy still rely on basic things like hunting or fishing ... ( or even farming )
I know this has been said, but well, it is from MMY's author. I think this series is better, though -- no problematic concept (I have some issues with MMY...), and no harem either (well, that samurai-like guy apparently has a harem, but he's a side character, not the main one, and isn't in the main party.), which is good.

Digimon Xros Wars 01

SYrbA9vl.jpg

Well time to start a new show and once again, it's a show I started back before and stopped for reasons.

Hey, it's the Digimon season that no one likes, yes even less liked than Frontier! Well so far it's starting ok. We get introduced to the main character, his hyper-ness and his two new traveling buddies, which at this point are basically the girl and his 'rival'
which I know doesn't actually evolve any past that

The Digimon world is pretty interesting at least. It's pretty much full on war now which is pretty different from past seasons where they'll just be one big bad or a team of team terrorizing stuff, not full on armies. No real opinion on the ally Digimon at this point and I guess I shouldn't hate them cause I'm going to get stuck with them anyway.

I also look forward to the Leomon death of the season as well, wwwwwwww.
What ? no

Xwars is legit good ..the second season is legit worse since it got cut halfway and they stopped airing but where did you see that nobody liked that season , it started slow , but it really became awesome. Good characters , excellent antagonist aside from the monsters of the week and so much so much gattai ...

Enjoy 50 legit great episodes. Xwars 2 : time something is bad , don't bother ( that's the one nobody liked )

fertygo

Menco - 07

Because everybody keep talking about the "tweeeeest" I thought its gonna be full bombastic episode, but the majority of episode actually your good old low-key drama that this show excel, aw yiss.
Liking the continuing theme about Masayoshi..
the more what he wanted happening, the more he realize that not as wonderful as he thought

And about "that part", nope not buying it.. I think someone pulling Iron Man 3 here.
Speaking of Gintama earlier what do you guys think is the best OP/ED from the show?

Donten

And Sakura Hanasaku.

DOES and SPYAIR made the best song for Gintama.

Pooya

kill la kill - 8

20 years is old? :(

The episode looked pretty rough.

I feel that this episode was also quite redundant as far as story goes, they could make it a lot shorter and fill it in in other episodes... the plot is progressing quite slowly.

Caesnd

Menco - 07

Because everybody keep talking about the "tweeeeest" I thought its gonna be full bombastic episode, but the majority of episode actually your good old low-key drama that this show excel, aw yiss.

I think that's precisely the reason people reacted as they did. It was the last minute sudden shift that made it so jarring.

As for those assumed summary leaks. They are pretty easy to fake so this could be absolutely be a curve ball, but I just don't see it for some reason. The show gave no impression that something was off during that last scene at all. Rather, it was awkwardly serious (and the dissonance between the almost comical design of the monster and the way the policemen were disposed of was pretty weird).

Uh, since Char was introduced? It's been uphill since then and went downhill at the start of S2.

It was still a trashy harem, just with a heroine people liked. There are people here calling season 1 of IF genius, that's just crazytalk.

Infinite Stratos is and has always been textbook LN haremshit.

fertygo

I think that's precisely the reason people reacted as they did. It was the last minute sudden shift that made it so jarring.

As for those assumed summary leaks. They are pretty easy to fake so this could be absolutely be a curve ball, but I just don't see it for some reason. The show gave no impression that something was off during that last scene at all. Rather, it was awkwardly serious (and the dissonance between the almost comical design of the monster and the way the policemen were disposed of was pretty weird).
Yeah the Shift is pretty awkward in deliberate way, in one way its completely sold you off but also pretty comical, weird.
It was still a trashy harem, just with a heroine people liked. There are people here calling season 1 of IS genius, that's just crazytalk.

Listen to this wisemen.

Geneijin

It was still a trashy harem, just with a heroine people liked. There are people here calling season 1 of IF genius, that's just crazytalk.

Not at all. Episode 5 was where the absurdity, the drama and the melodrama shot up, and the show got better from there. IS has consistently been what it's been since Episode 1. It just became better with 5 and onward.

Not at all. Episode 5 was where the absurdity, the drama and the melodrama shot up, and the show got better from there. IS has consistently been what it's been since Episode 1. It just became better with 5 and onward.

i honnestly think that IS is barely average or barely ok , by going by it's first season as a whole.
My real problem with IS is that unlike many shows around, there was barely any sense of progression for the main character ( or the heroines for that matter )

IS2 is much more entertaining because at least russia girl is putting moves and putting all the rest of the cast in place. Aside from Char , and a bit of houki , none of the girl had any real develloppement or change since the start , and even when char joined the generic harem heroine bus , nothing else happenned.

for all those reason i cannot say that IS became "better" after ep 5 , on the contrary it became "stale"

Hey, it's the Digimon season that no one likes, yes even less liked than Frontier! Well so far it's starting ok. We get introduced to the main character, his hyper-ness and his two new traveling buddies, which at this point are basically the girl and his 'rival'
which I know doesn't actually evolve any past that

I wouldn't say that. Xros Wars starts out slow, but it really picks up later on and becomes pretty good (even bordering on great at times in the second half).

It's the sequel that's fucking garbage (although I'd still not say it's quite as bad as Frontier).

Strike the blood - 7

Strike%20the%20Blood%20-%2007.jpg

Jealousy does bring you a lot of problems

Kinda "ok" episode with some confirmation that shaddy DTL guy is shaddy as hell and that bored people that live too long are really annoying at times.

I guess i shouldn't be surprised that the "sister" will be part of the plot later ...
Anyway , next episode time to bring another girl in the harem.

Code: Breaker- fin
http://i.minus.com/ibqA8gtunSpVyP.gif[/IG]
Sigh. There are issues with this show which leave me kinda conflicted. The core story is pretty solid and the show does a great job of fleshing out multiple sides in the conflict. I really do like how they tried to flesh out Hitomi's side. It helped to give the whole fight a morally gray aspect to it. The problem is with some of the characters. Sakura remains annoying as fuck throughout the show. She is beyond grating and doesn't even seem that important to the main narrative other than to yell or play the damsel in distress. Ogami undergoes a personality shift which I think is too drastic and not supported well enough when compared to his sociopathic personality very early in the show. Not to mention Hitomi's 'pep talk' at the very end which some of the stuff in there just felt a little forced considering he was seriously trying to kill them less than five minutes prior. There are also some other minor stuff like the macguffin ring that bothered me. The show generally does feel well executed but there are some issues with the writing that trip it up. [/QUOTE]

If they hadnt stopped before getting to the actually really good arcs and reveals.

Geneijin

i honnestly think that IS is barely average or barely ok , by going by it's first season as a whole.
My real problem with IS is that unlike many shows around, there was barely any sense of progression for the main character ( or the heroines for that matter )

IS2 is much more entertaining because at least russia girl is putting moves and putting all the rest of the cast in place. Aside from Char , and a bit of houki , none of the girl had any real develloppement or change since the start , and even when char joined the generic harem heroine bus , nothing else happenned.

for all those reason i cannot say that IS became "better" after ep 5 , on the contrary it became "stale"
No sense of progression? Yet, you're praising S2 for what exactly? Because Russia's attempts at getting closer to Ichika gives you a better sense of progression? Progression? The same progression in S1 without the terrible flow of scenes and events in S2? I don't understand your point.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Golden Time 8

Man,
Ghost Banri
is pretty dumb. Good episode otherwise though! Chinami is adorable. :lol And holy shit @
Banri doing the "MY BOYFRIEND" thing
. :looool

Conan-san

I wouldn't say that. Xros Wars starts out slow, but it really picks up later on and becomes pretty good (even bordering on great at times in the second half).

It's the sequel that's fucking garbage (although I'd still not say it's quite as bad as Frontier).
Honestly, at least Frontier executes it's "Power Rangers but Digimon" premice. Bugger knows what premice the sequel tried to do.

No sense of progression? Yet, you're praising S2 for what exactly? Because Russia's attempts at getting closer to Ichika gives you a better sense of progression? Progression? The same progression in S1 without the terrible flow of scenes and events in S2? I don't understand your point.

When russia came there was a tiny attempt of making thing move forward a little ( for plot reasons she tried to give ichika new skills ), she also put a new blood in a cast that is only eating up ichika actions no matter what he does.
I'd argue that since the second part of S1 started nothing changed within the cast up to the second part of S2.

If you look at my post i'm saying that everything is stale since ep 5 ( or maybe 6 ) of the first season , this includes season 2 aside from the introduction of this new character.

I mean we're in the middle of S2 ATM , and china still hadn't a proper arc , england arc was shafted , char character progression started and ended right when she joined the rest of the female cast. japan gaining her mech didn't gave her anything aside from being able to be on equal term to the rest and the "looking at the sea" scene that did nothing overall.

The best i can do is to praise S2 to make me feel with ep 1,2,3 that they would change the dynamics even if a little but they didn't.
I'm still far behind on 2 episodes mind you ( i was away ) but i doubt anything significant changed since ichika birthday episode.

i know i'm asking too much since it's an harem anime but it's my convinction that IS hasn't changed in ages once the introduction arc for each girl was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom