• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Heh, one of the special features on the first two Arpeggio of Blue Steel BDs sends Haruna's VA, Hibiku Yamamura, to go take a look at some real JMSDF ships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUKgu-vrCm4

It's a shame that stuff like this rarely makes it into any international releases (for entirely reasonable contract and market reasons, mind you).

Theonik

Kill La Kill 08
ibwjcg6SQyf9hu.png
OK episode, not as bad as people said, in fact I actually liked it. The student council background flashbacks are pretty interesting as are their resulting uniform powers.
Also Damagori is cool.
Next week will be much hype.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kill la Kill 8

Wait, people were saying this episode was bad? Pfft. Whatevs. Gamagoori is a total bro.
Your resistance only makes him harder

Looks like shit's gonna go down next episode. Can't wait.

Geneijin

When russia came there was a tiny attempt of making thing move forward a little ( for plot reasons she tried to give ichika new skills ), she also put a new blood in a cast that is only eating up ichika actions no matter what he does.
I'd argue that since the second part of S1 started nothing changed within the cast up to the second part of S2.

If you look at my post i'm saying that everything is stale since ep 5 ( or maybe 6 ) of the first season , this includes season 2 aside from the introduction of this new character.
I saw it and I disagreed with it. As I said initially, "since Episode 5 of S1, the absurdity, the drama, and the melodrama increased and it was a better show since." It played up those aspects in both mockery and affectionately, that you couldn't not notice how tragic Rin getting a leg cramp was or how agonizing yet pithy it was for Ichika to idolize his sister on oh, so many occasions. And on the contrary, there was plenty of development in S1. The kind of develop you'd expect in any average harem whether it was Otoboku or Mashiro.

The inclusion of Russia in S2 wasn't more entertaining than Houki being knocked off her high horse in S1.

i know i'm asking too much since it's an harem anime but it's my convinction that IS hasn't changed in ages once the introduction arc for each girl was done.
And I never said it did. It got better. It was what it was since the beginning.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is some crazy revisionism that I never saw before S2 aired. When was Infinite Stratos ever anything but a trashy harem?
The point is that it is the best trashy harem, without relying on the tricks of the trashy harem. No falls into crotches or punches to the face followed by BAKAAAAAAA.

Well, I know nothing about IS S1, but from what I watched of S2, it's a disjointed mess, has little coherence, and feels like it was slapped together while it was being made. It's not surprising to find that S2 doesn't even have a series composition credit, and along with the rumors that the author himself wants to be more involved but at the same time is creating a production mess because his episode outlines aren't being delivered on time... I would say that it probably speaks more to how poor the production of S2 is.
S2 is definitely a turd in the making. :(

I agree that S1 ended up being like that, but the question I have is, as I said, that I'm not sure whether that "fully aware of what it was" element was intentional or a lucky accident.
I will say this is hindsight, but the fact that S2 is so terrible has to suggest that S1 and all its wonderfulness was planned and intended.

I got Zelda.

Goodbye AnimeGAF.
Would you say it...
Hy
rules?!

Gingitsune - 07

i know they don't mean any harm , but those monkeys were really , REAAALLLY anoying.

What was the deal with the cat anyway ? is it some sort of forshadowing ?

fertygo

The point is that it is the best trashy harem, without relying on the tricks of the trashy harem. No falls into crotches or punches to the face followed by BAKAAAAAAA.

This must be some epic memory block, I remember that scene where all the training girl fall from sky and landing in Itsuki or whateverhisname crotch.

Eps 2 of S1 IIRC

I wouldn't say that. Xros Wars starts out slow, but it really picks up later on and becomes pretty good (even bordering on great at times in the second half).

It's the sequel that's fucking garbage (although I'd still not say it's quite as bad as Frontier).

I guess I never watched up to the part where it becomes good then, cause I know I wasn't all too impressed with the couple of episodes I watched. I guess the whole almost tossing out the normal Digimon format was something I wasn't too keen on to start with, but this time I'm willing to watch it to the end (I'm used to watching bad shows to the end anyway!)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This must be some epic memory block, I remember that scene where all the training girl fall from sky and landing in Itsuki or whateverhisname crotch.

Eps 2 of S1 IIRC
It was a boob grab! lol
And then they inverted the whole BAKA thing by having her basically show up the other girls who were trying to kill him.
I suppose there was also that derpy scene that ended the first season, but I'm just excusing that as the only way to end the series I suppose. :p

There's nothing on the scale of disappearing panty crotch falls at least!

I guess I never watched up to the part where it becomes good then, cause I know I wasn't all too impressed with the couple of episodes I watched. I guess the whole almost tossing out the normal Digimon format was something I wasn't too keen on to start with, but this time I'm willing to watch it to the end (I'm used to watching bad shows to the end anyway!)

Well, that's about how I felt when it first started. The first 10 or so episodes were a massive slog, but I think it starts getting better around 15 (although it's still uneven around that point), and it gets really enjoyable in the second half of the show.

It also starts to have more of that 'normal Digimon format' later on, too.

Jex

As someone who recently started Gintama, when selling it to my friends episode 25 is the one I use as an example of why its so good. Only at 30 alm but from the sounds of it there is still a lot of good things left to come.

You have so much good stuff to come. It's really a series that improves as it goes on (although not in a strictly linear fashion).

fertygo

It was a boob grab! lol
And then they inverted the whole BAKA thing by having her basically show up the other girls who were trying to kill him.
I suppose there was also that derpy scene that ended the first season, but I'm just excusing that as the only way to end the series I suppose. :p

This is really weird way to justifying thing lol

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It was a boob grab! lol

Its a trashy harem! Dont deny yourself and justify the show. Lol

Code: Breaker- fin
Sakura remains annoying as fuck throughout the show. She is beyond grating and doesn't even seem that important to the main narrative other than to yell or play the damsel in distress.

She's a lot more important in the manga. The anime pretty much cut out the entire rare type plotline beyond the whole "omg, powers don't work on her".

She's a lot more important in the manga. The anime pretty much cut out the entire rare type plotline beyond the whole "omg, powers don't work on her".

Yep. The manga, while it seems like it is written by following the "how to write an extremely stereotypical shonen action series" book to the tee, did at least attempt to answer some of these questions.

No more than the anime is.

I was going to argue that she's clearly interested in only protag, but in plenty of harems this is the case. But still I don't see this as reverse harem. None of the code;breaker guys are really interested in her.

Theonik

Kids on the Slope 11-12
And so the foreshadowing from the end of episode 10 comes true but in a substantially more contrived way than it was expected. Poor Bon.
I liked the actual ending for the show however. That was kinda neat.
I still maintain that the actual highlight of the show probably was the school festival though.
I give this show 3DTLs/5

cajunator

Banned
What is this a shot of? Aku no Hana key frame?

lol

Damn thats cold lol.

Outbreak Company 8
These references are the only reason to watch this show, but they entertain me enough to scrub through it.

Im not sure what to think of this.

Uh, since Char was introduced? It's been uphill since then and went downhill at the start of S2.

Yup true. Char, Laura, and now Tatenashi makes the show barely watchable but they are all fun and ridiculously cute girls. The show could do worse.

Jarmel

Banned

That's my understanding. I was viewing the anime by itself and Sakura just makes me want to throat punch her. She doesn't do anything and just yells like 90% of the time.

cajunator

Banned
No sense of progression? Yet, you're praising S2 for what exactly? Because Russia's attempts at getting closer to Ichika gives you a better sense of progression? Progression? The same progression in S1 without the terrible flow of scenes and events in S2? I don't understand your point.

IS has as much progression as the town of Centralia, Pennsylvania.

I want Date A Live S2 already so dumb harem things can be entertaining once more.

Youre right about that! DAL was very stupid but it was really watchable and has some quality moe.

Branduil

I'd like to apologize to anyone who was bothered by my recent posts. I haven't been in a very good mood lately, and my attempts at jokes backfired, and I'm not good at responding to perceived hostility or condescension. It wasn't my intent to turn the thread into a Mari Okada screenplay.

Mature

I'd like to apologize to anyone who was bothered by my recent posts. I haven't been in a very good mood lately, and my attempts at jokes backfired, and I'm not good at responding to perceived hostility or condescension. It wasn't my intent to turn the thread into a Mari Okada screenplay.
Hahahaha. Replicating Okada works in real life is the ultimate sin.

Kids on the Slope 11-12
And so the foreshadowing from the end of episode 10 comes true but in a substantially more contrived way than it was expected. Poor Bon.
I liked the actual ending for the show however. That was kinda neat.
I still maintain that the actual highlight of the show probably was the school festival though.
I give this show 3DTLs/5

Oh, it was.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
No worries, man. I certainly have my own episodes in that regard.

You still get the dirty colored macarons, though.

jman2050

We never knew the name of the Branduil we saw that day.

wonzo

Banned
It's cool bro, we all have our moments. I blame words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom