• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
YuuShibu 8

Swimsuits! Swimsuits everywhere!

This episode was perhaps more lewd than usual. I think that's an achievement.

But at the end it looks like there may be...plot incoming?!

Yuushibu 08

Swimsuits which isn't even out of the ordinary with this show.

I guess actual plot is coming up, even though I pretty much stopped caring about this show so far.

Gazoinks

Clannad 05

This episode was sweet, especially the ending.
Reintegrating the ghost into society. Or something.

More importantly, Tomoya trolling Fuko is officially the second best part of this series after Akio.

cajunator

Banned
Golden Time 8

Silly ghost Banri what are you doing. No
stealing other people's bodies, even if they used to be yours

Silly Linda what are you doing. No
lying through your teeth and saying the opposite of what you mean again

Silly Chinami what are you doing. No, really, what are you doing. Noodles? What?

Cnet asking all the tough questions.

Digimon Xros Wars 02

Well, here's Shoutmon's whole character development or something like that.

And you know, new characters appear say a line or two and disappear off like that just to be so mysterious.

Gazoinks

Clannad 06
LmBd6Nyl.jpg

I think Tomoya might actually be insane.

WAIT FUKO ACTUALLY IS A GHOST?! I didn't expect her to literally be a ghost out of body spirit... thing.

'nother sweet episode (and Nagisa's family is still best) overall, but with a saddish ending. Of course they had to end my last episode of the night with a cliffhanger. OF COURSE.

Speedo starfish.

Super YoYo 7-9

....This shit needs to be on The List.

I don't even know where to begin. I just.... I don't. I don't.

They bothered to explain the headband... THEY EXPLAINED THE HEADBAND! So much DTL it's just..... woooow. And the subtext! Singapore dub for life!

I think I was high for one of these episodes

wonzo

Banned
Super Yoyo 7-9 but mostly 9

superyoyo9.jpg
superyoyo9a.jpg

superyoyo9b.jpg
superyoyo9c.jpg

"WHY AM I BLACK?" - fat kid

I was gonna make some more jokes about all the gay innuendo like the old gys talking about the young kids "long fingers" but episode 9 was literally evil bad yoyo etiquette alien otaku vs yoyo batman who fights with laser beams of righteous safety tips and yoyo marketing

… and this was all thanks to a relaxing
prostate exam

this is literally the list: the anime episode

edit: the gay sexual innuendo isn't just exclusive to the dubbing either:

superyoyo7.jpg
superyoyo7a.jpg

and i think i found out why this never got a decent dvd release in japan:

superyoyo8.jpg

I don't know if this is a new discovery but megaton in coming. You can Remote Play CR from your PS4 to Vita. Also you can tweet and FB screenshots with comments.

Finally CR on Vita then. Just have to buy a PS4 for it :p

Clannad 04

I don't really understand Tomoya and Sunohara hating all clubs because Tomoya can't play basketball.
Did I miss something?

Sunohara has his own reasons which are better explained in After Story.

So how's the crunchyroll app on the ps4 over-all? Once I get my ps4 I'd like to get it as long as the subs don't look like ass in 1080p screens. And whether the streaming is HD or not. Plz no Netflix pixel to HD in 5 seconds and back. Ugh. Wanna watch Gintama w/ friends, and Crunchyroll on PS4 might be best option.

Defuser

Strike the blood ep 8

Dammit Kojou, get your own trademark move, stop stealing Touma's falcon punch. And massive points for Asagi initiative to reveal her feelings.

zeroshiki

Kaguya-hime Monogatari

header.png

I find it difficult to give an impression of this movie like I had a hard time giving an impression on ther other Ghibli movie, Kaze Tachinu, but for the completely opposite reason. While Miyazaki's movie was complicated and had required you to get into the head of the main character and appreciate the very Japanese shokunin mindset, Kaguya-hime is all about simplicity. The story is straightforward and is something everyone knows. It doesn't try to bash you on the head with anything and this simplicity in turn allows the viewer to bask in the beauty of the movie. The movie is about innocence, its about love, its about family. Its all of those things yet not of those.

Art and Animation
While nothing more can be said about the ability of Studio Ghibli, this movie stands on a class of its own. You should take a moment and bask at the sheer beauty that is on display.
82716.jpg

winter.jpg

This isn't really promo art. The entire movie is made up of shots like this.

All the backgrounds are painstakingly hand painted giving off the look of a sumi-e painting for each and every frame. This is one of those movies where you can feel that they really did spend a great amount of effort drawing and checking each frame. As in true sumi-e fashion, the coloring is super light and they make use of the whites of the canvas as well as they did the parts with color. The movie just gives off this mellow vibe like you're watching a moving painting rather than anime.

Because they made use of such an abstract art style, they could play around quite a bit with the backgrounds. Sometimes they're static, they're just there and it looks like the characters are moving around in a painting like it was some kind of theater set but sometimes the background is part of the movie itself, moving around frenetically, shifting, changing based on the actions and mindset of the characters. The sakura sequence above is bright and colorful while the winter sequence below is dark and foreboding.

327857.jpg

This is probably my favorite sequence. The background turns crazy dark and basically engulfs the character while she's running. It was super effective in showing not just what was happening but reflecting her frame of mind.

Music

Ghibli, of course, doesn't skimp on the music either and they have a great soundtrack from Joe Hisaishi on here. Its very folksy in a old Japanese way. The song they sing throughout the movie (of which I can't find a link of) is a simple song about the beauty of life (birds and trees included) and the main theme is beautifully haunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud5lD8SQDr4

Unlike Kaze Tachinu, Takahata took voice casting seriously and I have no complaints with any of them.

Story and Impressions
As I said up top, the story is dead simple. It is based on the classic Japanese folktale, The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, and tells the story of this little girl a bamboo cutter finds who grew out of a bamboo stalk and who he and his wife raises up as their own. This is a story all Japanese people know and the target audience of the movie pretty much knows how the story starts and ends before entering. What Takahata did here was basically Disney-ify it but without all the negative baggage that entails. He took a well known story and arranged it to give the characters backstory and motivations.

Kaguya-hime and the bamboo cutter couple first live in the mountains and that is where she grows up. She makes friends with the indigenous kids living around and generally lives a happy life. Her father, however, loves her so much and can't get it out of his head that she needs a better life than the one they have now so with the aid of some gold he found magically from the bamboo, he takes their family down to the capital so she can live like a princess.

I won't go further into the story than that summary (and you shouldn't really spoil yourself more than that tbh, its more fun that way) but I want to say that, like Takahata's earlier works (Heidi, Anne) it shows his love of the countryside. Everything is so much simpler when you don't have to burden yourself with responsibilities or worry about appearances. He also puts an emphasis on family. No matter what happens, through good or bad, it is your family that will be there for you and take care of you.

16549.jpg

Happiness is being with the people you love and doing the things you love

Final Impressions

Takahata said that this movie took him 7 years to make this movie. Seeing the care put into nearly every frame of the movie, you will understand why. This is a very personal project for Takahata and I am very glad that we got to see what is likely the very last animated feature from one of the masters in the form that he wanted it made.

I don't think the two are comparable but if I had to make a choice, I'd vote this movie for movie of the year.

It was very surprising for me to see Isao Takahata, the man who directed Grave of the Fireflies make a fantasy movie. Its very weird seeing the bookend of the Totoro/Grave double bill to basically have both directors switch roles but I think it worked out for the best. Even if Takahata made a fantasy movie, he didn't forget to put in his human touch. Nothing is unbelievable in the movie. It just happens to have magic in it.

Strike the Blood 08

Kojou you dog you. You added 2 girls to main harem in ONE episode.

Outbreak Company 05

Shinichi, you dog you. You added girl to main harem in ONE episode.

Everybody today is dog.

Gazoinks

Kaguya-hime Monogatari

Really looking forward to this, thanks for the review.

when does SteinsGate pick up? i watched the first 7 episodes over the last few days and it's starting to lose me.

Episode 12. Or maybe it was 13. Thereabouts. Although I personally never understood when people said the first half of S;G was boring because I liked it a lot, but it really gets going in the second half.

Shergal

Really nice impressions, zeroshiki. The sequence that's your favourite is the one that appears in the trailer, no?

Good to know it focuses intently on human interaction, I wasn't sure about that due to the nature of the film but it makes me happy. It's Takahata's forte after all.

zeroshiki

Really nice impressions, zeroshiki. The sequence that's your favourite is the one that appears in the trailer, no?

Good to know it focuses intently on human interaction, I wasn't sure about that due to the nature of the film but it makes me happy. It's Takahata's forte after all.

Yes, its that exact sequence. The brush strokes going crazy and enveloping Kaguya-hime was an incredible sight. There's also another sequence thats about flight that I liked but there aren't any pictures of it and its pretty much a spoiler so just keep that in mind for when you guys watch it.

when does SteinsGate pick up? i watched the first 7 episodes over the last few days and it's starting to lose me.

You'll know, but basically there's a clear halfway point. It turns from somewhat slice of life with time machine to full on sci-fi and drama and it's glorious. Keep watching. If once the first major shit happens you feel it's not enough, then I don't know if you'll like the rest.

Gazoinks

You'll know, but basically there's a clear halfway point. It turns from somewhat slice of life with time machine to full on sci-fi and drama and it's glorious. Keep watching. If once the first major shit happens you feel it's not enough, then I don't know if you'll like the rest.

Hahaha. I was chatting with a friend while I was watching S;G and he said "I'm going away for a bit, message me when you get to that point. You'll know it."

My message to him when I hit that point was:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFITHINKIHITHEPOINTAAAARGHFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't know how Kaguya-hime goes please no spoilers thx.

I don't care.

duckroll

No, but it shows the major beats, yes. Everyone knows how Kaguya-hime goes anyway so the important parts are those in between.

But most of the scenes are not how the story actually goes. Lol. Takahata clearly took huge liberties with the story once she grows up. :p

Hahaha. I was chatting with a friend while I was watching S;G and he said "I'm going away for a bit, message me when you get to that point. You'll know it."

My message to him when I hit that point was:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFITHINKIHITHEPOINTAAAARGHFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Yeah. When my friends watched it they were enjoying the first half. But the show got put up in their top 5 anime after the second half started. It's that brilliant. And once you rewatch the show it's even more brilliant because you start seeing clues to the time traveling aspect.

alright i'll keep with it at least until the shit hits the fan.

Like I said it's pretty obvious so if after that you're still not at least curious enough to go on, even though it only gets better, then you might as well stop.

Speaking of S;G will the Deja Vu movie be released in the west as well? I recall the dvd/blu-ray is coming out december with subs already in there. Not sure if that means it'll come straight to the west.

zeroshiki

But most of the scenes are not how the story actually goes. Lol. Takahata clearly took huge liberties with the story once she grows up. :p

He actually takes more than that but the major points, the bamboo thing, the 5 princes, the emperor (slightly) and the ending are the same. (I think)

Bombless

I had to rewatch Samumenco 7.

God damn. I thought the
parents murder
reveal was what everyone was gasping about. I thought it was cool (the fact
his entire life up to that point was masterminded by his grandfather to fashion him into a being thirsty for Justice
was pretty chilling) and I was looking forward to the new direction the story was taking....

My body was definitely not ready.

Jex

Toward the Terra 5

I didn't like this episode that much. The pacing felt pretty weird and the balance between the two plotlines not entirely steady. During the whole business with Shiroe I was thinking, "How can you be this stupid, Jomy?" I suppose him being self-absorbed and short-sighted fits with his inexperienced character, but you'd think his experiences would have made him a little less eager to go crashing into people's lives willy-nilly and try to snatch them away.

The combat scenes look terrible, even by this show's standards. CG explosions are the worst, especially at this low level of CG.

Toward the Terra is certainly one of the ugliest shows that I've watched, possibly ever. The character designs are okay, but everything else is just so damn cheap. Luckily the story and characters were enough to carry me forward, despite the production problems, but it does require a certain amount of patience.

Jex

Kaguya-hime Monogatari

[...]

It was very surprising for me to see Isao Takahata, the man who directed Grave of the Fireflies make a fantasy movie. Its very weird seeing the bookend of the Totoro/Grave double bill to basically have both directors switch roles but I think it worked out for the best. Even if Takahata made a fantasy movie, he didn't forget to put in his human touch. Nothing is unbelievable in the movie. It just happens to have magic in it.

Hnnnhhhgghh Takahata the best. Thanks for the impressions.

cajunator

Banned

Halfway through. The cool part is everything up till now does have relevance. Pay attention to all the details.

So.

This is what Kana Asumi looks like in full costume as the FeMC for the Persona 3 stage play.

https://twitter.com/clie_seisaku/statuses/404084124937244674

This is so :kurita
but damn its GREAT :kurita!

Theonik

Super YoYo 07-08
That battle sure dragged on. Still at least we finally got backstory on Nakamura. Now all that' left is Hojoin. And damn
I knew that shy girl was dangerous but wow

Super YoYo 09
Fucking amazing ahahaahahahahaha. List worthy almost. I to some extent wish the rest of the show was like this.
THANK YOU SHOW I WILL LEARN TO USE A YOYO RESPONSIBLY!

Kurita

Halfway through. The cool part is everything up till now does have relevance. Pay attention to all the details.

This is so :kurita
but damn its GREAT :kurita!

Maybe I'll start watching stage plays when I get bored with dramas.
It's the logical next step for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom