• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Those design are disgusting, yuck.

And Chaos; Head seguel, ugh.. granted I'm not reading the VN, but still its not Steins; Gate..

Acosta

God, another travel, I have so many episodes of so many series that I don't know where I could begin...

Just started by 5 of Kill la Kill, great episode. It was a nice chance of pace.

I missed you guys, watching anime is better looking at this thread.

Mr. RHC

This is kinda is old, but it I really love the
Ace Attorney
reference in Episode 1 of Arakawa Under The Bridge.

As6eqq6.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmLZcA3Cp9w

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Episode 8:

The series is getting better and better and now it shifts into something that few series dare to tread sadly as we get a dose of economic intrigue. Indeed this is the time of Mirelle and Henrietta to shine as the meet with the heads of some high profile guilds into order to strike a trade/lending agreement. Also, probably mentioned this before, but it bears it once again, Henrietta is Cajunatior in female anime form, and this scares me to no end. I will say flat out this is the best episode of the series thus far. indeed, the only real downside is they keep inter-cutting to the rendition of Oliver Twist which is sadly the crux for this arc. I look forward now to the next part of this Xanatos Gamibt.

Kaguya-hime Monogatari

I find it difficult to give an impression of this movie like I had a hard time giving an impression on ther other Ghibli movie, Kaze Tachinu, but for the completely opposite reason. While Miyazaki's movie was complicated and had required you to get into the head of the main character and appreciate the very Japanese shokunin mindset, Kaguya-hime is all about simplicity. The story is straightforward and is something everyone knows. It doesn't try to bash you on the head with anything and this simplicity in turn allows the viewer to bask in the beauty of the movie. The movie is about innocence, its about love, its about family. Its all of those things yet not of those.

It was very surprising for me to see Isao Takahata, the man who directed Grave of the Fireflies make a fantasy movie. Its very weird seeing the bookend of the Totoro/Grave double bill to basically have both directors switch roles but I think it worked out for the best. Even if Takahata made a fantasy movie, he didn't forget to put in his human touch. Nothing is unbelievable in the movie. It just happens to have magic in it.

Even in Takahata's purely realistic works there's always touches of magic to be found. He excels at bringing out the fantastic side of human life, which is why it's not surprising to see him bring out the human side of fantasy. It's going to be a long wait until I can get to see this.

Toward the Terra is certainly one of the ugliest shows that I've watched, possibly ever. The character designs are okay, but everything else is just so damn cheap. Luckily the story and characters were enough to carry me forward, despite the production problems, but it does require a certain amount of patience.

I've never heard of the studios credited for animation production - Minamimachi Bugyousho and Tokyo Kids. They seem to have worked mostly as subcontractors, so I'm not too surprised the show seems somewhat slapped together. They got some pretty good people to do designs - Nobuteru Yuki and Yutaka Izubuchi - but the actual production is pretty mediocre. It's mostly good enough at storytelling to be enjoyable, thankfully. The bonus is that it'll make me appreciate Izubuchi and Yuki's work on Space Battleship Yamato 2199, which I plan on starting soon, that much more.

Log Horizon Episode 8

Too much talking and discussion, the plot with Tohya and such is rather more interesting that debating about financial things. Shiroe needs to swoop in and save them instead of taking years to get there.

So how's the crunchyroll app on the ps4 over-all? Once I get my ps4 I'd like to get it as long as the subs don't look like ass in 1080p screens. And whether the streaming is HD or not. Plz no Netflix pixel to HD in 5 seconds and back. Ugh. Wanna watch Gintama w/ friends, and Crunchyroll on PS4 might be best option.

Overall its like 95% perfect, Ive been watching just about all the anime I watch this season on it and Hulu...Only issue that Ive run in happened today, which I guess theyll fix...but the newest little busters! refrain episodes video is like

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Apparently Shinya Ohira did a lecture on sakuga at Tokyo U and there he said that Bahi JD is his favorite young animator.

Just a few weeks until Space Dandy!

LordCanti

Anyone know if Monogatari is going to be a recap this week? Daisuki still hasn't put up episode 20, so I figure that they probably won't put up 21 today either way.

Kyousougiga 06

The flashback moments were great and I'm glad that we're finally getting somewhere. Koto (the girl) is more interesting to me than the other three and I hope that we can move on to her story in the present and stay there.

Little Busters! Refrain Episode 8
BZxNrYDIUAAjkI_.jpg

Kind of got a bit confusing and weird there in the middle but all things worked out in the end for this episode. Probably the more well done in terms of things and being really focused.
so glad there was no vanishing characters or something when he said to rest. Still I wonder how this will play out for Kyousuke, I cant imagine a scenario when he needs to face himself, like Masato had to face himself here. It also still feels like a Kyousuke is the actual real main character story.

fertygo

Super YoYo 07-08
That battle sure dragged on. Still at least we finally got backstory on Nakamura. Now all that' left is Hojoin. And damn
I knew that shy girl was dangerous but wow

Super YoYo 09
Fucking amazing ahahaahahahahaha. List worthy almost. I to some extent wish the rest of the show was like this.
THANK YOU SHOW I WILL LEARN TO USE A YOYO RESPONSIBLY!

I know about this show, local tv airing it many years ago.. what I remember the most is the super bizzare final match.

Log Horizon Episode 8:

Henrietta is Cajunatior in female anime form, and this scares me to no end. .
I do agree that she is a cajunator or at least very close to it but why does this scare you ?

Log Horizon Episode 8

Too much talking and discussion, the plot with Tohya and such is rather more interesting that debating about financial things. Shiroe needs to swoop in and save them instead of taking years to get there.

Actually , why should he hurry and save them , if the same thing or worse could happen again in the near future ?
This situation call for a clear and decisive plan , not for a rushed action with no long term benefits.

Golden Friendzone Time

2D-kun cementing his third wheel role in that pact. Guy just looks so happy having friends around.

Old Banri was so bitchmade.

LordCanti

Daisuki put up Monogatari 20 and 21; Everyone celebraaaateeeee.

Edit: Annnnd 21 won't load.

jeTMC67.gif

Edit 2: Nothing seems to be loading from Daisuki right now. I tried on two different browsers; Is anyone having the same issue?

jediyoshi

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 1-3

ueymK3U.png

MluqhTP.png

Picked this up after seeing it mentioned a few times during samumenco-gate. Didn't disappoint.

Although it would be pretty hilarious if they did just end up stretching the purely cute girls doing cute things act for another few episodes.

Articalys

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?13453&p=215238#post215238
[...] During the most recent One Piece Podcast, Josh Kokurek [Funimation brand manager for One Piece] confirmed they have the rights to a Season 6. No specifics were mentioned, but it is happening. Their priorities for movies are Z and Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island. Negotiations for the both of them are on hold at the moment as they negotiate digital rights for the series.

Chaos;Head was a fantastic comedy. Heres to hoping this show is even funnier.

Chaos;Head was great until the last few episodes. I seriously don't know how they took that big of a u-turn in that show. It reminds me of the u-turn in Umineko No Naku Koro Ni when the first few episodes is a murder mystery that is really interesting. Then the next episodes are about
goatmen and magic

Log Horizon 08

This show is probably one of the most painful ones to have to wait for. Episodes go by so quickly since imho they're perfectly paced. The show is at its best when Shiroe is being sly and clever, and people talking about him with respect and fear. Even though he's such a nice guy lol.

And the show continues to be THE anime destination of
XgDNuoM.gif

This episode was entirely just discussion between merchants, but knowing there's a plan behind it orchestrated by Shiroe makes it all the better where I didn't mind as long as we got to find out more about the plan. Next episode seems to be the biggest if not the ulimate part of Shiroe's plan so this seems interesting.

As to the name Villain in Glasses, I kind of lol'd because it seems like the only reason he got that was because he's brilliant and cunning. At least from what we know so far. The Tea Party group doesn't seem to have done evil things and he's famous for that, but hey you never know. I really liked how at the end
all of these big guilds and leaders were only interested in coming to the meeting due to Shiroe running things. It's nice to have a protag who's so brilliant people respect the shit out of him

I think this might genuinely be the first engineer protagonist in anime and I'm loving it. And I mean with an actual degree or working for one, not a guy who builds mechs. Represent Shiroe.

Heysoos

Anyone with the Crunchyroll app on iPad, does it show videos in HD? It is painful to watch videos on the Kindle Fire HDX. The quality is pretty bad, imo.

Ryuukan

Watamote:

This was a seriously uncomfortable trip through social anxiety. It takes a special kind of sadist to enjoy this level of agoraphobia and depression.

Gazoinks

Log Horizon 08

Glasses Count: 16 (Dear god there was a double! A DOUBLE! Not even counting one in the preview!)

I think Henrietta and Shiroe are a better match than Shiroe and Akatsuki at this point! That plotting! Everyone being scared of Shiroe because of his terrifying xanatos gambits is great, he's really a pretty awesome protagonist and he wasn't even the focus of this episode. It's cool seeing the hero being the one doing the plots for once. I do hope we encounter something that's a serious challenge for his skills soon though.

It can be hard to make an episode of talking interesting, but they did a good job here. The personalities interacting were good, and it's cool seeing the layers fall away on Shiroe's master plan. And now a bunch of people interested in him are gathering. Woooooo things happening.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Strike the Blood 8

A little too much harem stuff for my tastes, but otherwise a solid end to the chapter. Though we never really saw what happened to
Gardos
, did we? Plot details? Pfft, that takes away from harem time!

New chapter starts next week, sounds interesting I suppose. Though all we really got from the preview was CATS CATS CATS or something.

cajunator

Banned
Someone tried really hard to make those girls' appearances distinguishable

really

hard

Those character designs really are the worst thing ever.
Sooooooo lazy.

Words Worth 02

Oh my. Them Nyaaas <3
Great episode really. More sakuga to be had also.
And some very dangerous tsun. You dun goof'd Astral-sama. dayum.

Nina's nyaas are pretty perfect.

I do agree that she is a cajunator or at least very close to it but why does this scare you ?

I was wondering the same.
Who'd be scared of me?

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 1-3

ueymK3U.png

MluqhTP.png

Picked this up after seeing it mentioned a few times during samumenco-gate. Didn't disappoint.

Although it would be pretty hilarious if they did just end up stretching the purely cute girls doing cute things act for another few episodes.

Ehehehehehee

Log Horizon 08

Glasses Count: 16 (Dear god there was a double! A DOUBLE! Not even counting one in the preview!)

I think Henrietta and Shiroe are a better match than Shiroe and Akatsuki at this point! That plotting! Everyone being scared of Shiroe because of his terrifying xanatos gambits is great, he's really a pretty awesome protagonist and he wasn't even the focus of this episode. It's cool seeing the hero being the one doing the plots for once. I do hope we encounter something that's a serious challenge for his skills soon though.

It can be hard to make an episode of talking interesting, but they did a good job here. The personalities interacting were good, and it's cool seeing the layers fall away on Shiroe's master plan. And now a bunch of people interested in him are gathering. Woooooo things happening.

Wait are you just being clever with that title, or is it really like spice and wolf?

If its the latter I definitely need to start watching it.

Bombless

White Album 2 1-7

I'm loving it. I felt so proud for them during the School Festival episode. Also, was it
Kazusa's mother
shown in the crowd for a split second?

Didn't expect to like a music anime.

Outbreak Company 8
Funny references and dat end card. The hikkimori speech was fairly powerful. Miusel is quite interesting when she's jealous

Articalys

Saimoe 2013 is over, and with absolutely pathetic final vote numbers like these:
11/23: Grand Final

1st 277 (59.19%) Madoka Kaname @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2nd 191 (40.81%) Sayaka Miki @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
hopefully the tournament is over for good.

jman2050

Monogatari S2 21 (Koi 1)

Dat Senjougahara, dat
Kaiki

So it looks like Senjou really did
straight up bluff her way out of Nadeko stabbing the shit out of everyone and is in full desperation mode now.
Really intrigued to see where this ultimately ends up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom