• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Long Ass Name Hero Something 08
Good episode focusing on what matters.
Could the ending denote a change? Who knows.
I'm almost wishing for some sort of drama here which normally would sound pretty odd...
Have Fino's powers awaken or something idc.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
White Album 2 8 - Another really nice episode. A nice bridge episode between high school and post high school. Kind of dreading where this is going with Setsunas happiness coming crashing down.

Tell me about it! Episode 7 had such a feel of finality of some element of happiness that I was a little difficult for me to enjoy this episode without thinking that some debacle was around the corner. Its no longer a matter of if but one of how and when. I answer CRUELLY and SOON.

It's like everyone is rubbing it in Touma's face to break up the friendship because they don't have the balls to.... like some Yayoi-Ogata hybrid :(

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Is the new gundam worth watching?

If you really enjoy that part where half of the main cast dies in cruel and unforeseen manners as is customary for Gundam shows then you probably won't like this show
yet

Legal streaming sites are nice when they work as well as other means. Crunchyroll does a more than decent job for paid subscribers. For non-paid subscribers they'd sometimes delay episodes for a week or so, like with Shingeki No Kyojin. How they weren't expecting freebie people to not go to other websites is not only beyond me. But also Beyond the Boundary.

Seriously I think it's hilariously cheesy when shows work their title into the actual dialogue, and this one has done it twice.

Gazoinks

Legal streaming sites are nice when they work as well as other means. Crunchyroll does a more than decent job for paid subscribers. For non-paid subscribers they'd sometimes delay episodes for a week or so, like with Shingeki No Kyojin. How they weren't expecting freebie people to not go to other websites is not only beyond me. But also Beyond the Boundary.

Seriously I think it's hilariously cheesy when shows work their title into the actual dialogue, and this one has done it twice.

I've actually had pretty bad issues with Crunchy's videos failing to load, randomly stopping, or subtitles vanishing into the ether. Don't know if it's my computer or what, but my connection is solid.

I'm waiting for it in White Album 2:
"This song you wrote, what's it called?"
"I call it White Album... Two."
*Music swells*

cajunator

Banned
I've actually had pretty bad issues with Crunchy's videos failing to load, randomly stopping, or subtitles vanishing into the ether. Don't know if it's my computer or what, but my connection is solid.

*Music swells*

Yeah but thats just how Crunchy rolls

Gazoinks

Yeah but thats just how Crunchy rolls

o6BbQeg.gif

They do that for every show.

For what it's worth, CR only freezes up on me if I've paused the video for several minutes or longer. It'll play for thirty seconds to a minute, then suddenly freeze. Other than that, it always works fine for me.

Daisuki works more like Netflix, in that the video and audio quality varies wildly every couple of minutes. It's kind of annoying.

*Music swells*

See Log Horizon makes sense, in anime logic, because that's the name of the guild. They were Bound to say it. Beyond the Boundary.

Though White Album 2 is SO going to do what you're saying. For once in my life I'd like an anime like this to do

"I call it Chocolate Nipples Desu Nya"
"You can't be serious"
"I mean.. White Al..bum 2?"
*Music swells*

For what it's worth, CR only freezes up on me if I've paused the video for several minutes or longer. It'll play for thirty seconds to a minute, then suddenly freeze. Other than that, it always works fine for me.

Daisuki works more like Netflix, in that the video and audio quality varies wildly every couple of minutes. It's kind of annoying.

Sorry should've gone on, the episodes were delayed a week AND the FB page kept saying how "due to issues the episode won't come out till like [3 days later]". I don't give a shit since I own my subscription, I do my part.

Just like I have Gamefly. Nintendo doesn't need to worry about Zelda A Link Between Shitty Art Styles making bank, because it will. So I'm renting it.

Gazoinks

Daisuki seems really inconsistent, which is a shame because it could be a good alternative. When they work it's good, but it seems like they've had a lot of trouble with episodes being timely, as well as errors with the episodes themselves.

See Log Horizon makes sense, in anime logic, because that's the name of the guild. They were Bound to say it. Beyond the Boundary.

Though White Album 2 is SO going to do what you're saying. For once in my life I'd like an anime like this to do

"I call it Chocolate Nipples Desu Nya"
"You can't be serious"
"I mean.. White Al..bum 2?"
*Music swells*
I bet it'll be more like:
Setsuna: "Hey what's that song you wrote called?"
Kitahara: "Uh I dunno"
Setsuna: "You should call it White Album 2 because White Album is the best song ever written."
Kitahara: "Yeah alright."
*Music swells*

Kill La Kill:
Ryuko: "I was Spanish all along! Now I am going to Kill La Kill!"
Satsuki: "...That still doesn't make sense."
*Music swells*

White Album 2 08

Probably... the worst episode of the bunch so far. Seemed slow paced. I found myself skipping quite a bit. Touma used to be best girl for me but now her white knight "you were never my friend" and the "I never cared for him" cool attitude is turning me off from her.

Now I'm Team 2D-kun. Yes 2D-kun is also shippable in this anime. If not him, I guess Setsuna.

Gazoinks

White Album 2 08

Probably... the worst episode of the bunch so far. Seemed slow paced. I found myself skipping quite a bit. Touma used to be best girl for me but now her white knight "you were never my friend" and the "I never cared for him" cool attitude is turning me off from her.

Now I'm Team 2D-kun. Yes 2D-kun is also shippable in this anime. If not him, I guess Setsuna.

Hm, I dunno, I thought the slow pace worked in its favor. It's sort of a melancholy cooldown after the big events of Ep 7. It's like "Well all that happened but now it's time for us to move on and deal with it and graduation is coming soon winter winter blah blah etc."... If you know what I mean. :p

Yeah, they're kind of doing a balancing act with Touma now. I thought it was alright in this episode, but it could get kind of annoying depending on how it goes.

2D-kun is shippable in all anime. 2D-kun/Rei Ayanami OTP.

Monogatari SS 21

ida9h7vF9c88i.jpg

Give me Kanbaruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Oh maaaaaaan this gon' be good. I was a bit worried at first since when focus shifted away from Araragi like how in Hanekawa's arc it ended up being mediocre, but luckily Kaiki and Senjougahara play off each other extremely well so we won't be having that problem again. And also because Kaiki's rad as fuck.

One last thing: Stop mentioning Kanbaru if she's not going to appear for real-real, I'm already mad as it is!

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta - 1

Finally got around to watching this. I guess it has potential. Kotoha is probably my favorite (She's voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro! I can't help it!).

I'm not usually into shounen action series unless they have an interesting setting and/or the characters have interesting powers, but this has both.

I'm kind of curious as to how Hosanna knew it would have good animation, though (he mentioned in a post that he knew it was going to have good animation before he even watched it back when everyone was doing that thing where you were supposed to list your biggest disappointment and biggest surprise this season). Is Ryo-timo well-known for high-quality animation, or what?

It's simple:

1) Ryo-chimo is an excellent animator, a leading figure of the web-gen school of animators, and has numerous connections with other excellent animators.

2) I watched the Hoshi no Umi OADs done by the same staff, and they had good animation.

3) I watched the trailer for the TV series, and it had good animation.

So I was pretty confident before the season started that Yozakura Quartet would have the best animation out of any show, and I was right.

Owwari

Banned
Hi there AnimeGAF, first post on this part of the dark side!

Pocket Monsters X/Y 007

tumblr_m2nd87nEW51r6o3e6.gif

OTP on my Pokémon anime? And with a likable girl? CHILDHOOD FRIEND ON TOP OF ALL?!?!!
Words cannot express how happy I am right now. It's like my inner child was pulled out and is now constantly dancing right in front of me. One of the first things this endless anime needed was some romance and character development for Ash.

Pocket Monsters X/Y 007

33ayujt.jpg

OTP on my Pokémon anime? And with a likable girl? CHILDHOOD FRIEND ON TOP OF ALL?!?!!
Words cannot express how happy I am right now. It's like my inner child was pulled out and is now constantly dancing right in front of me. One of the first things this endless anime needed was some romance and character development for Ash.

Your image is on a banned site, looks like a tinypic link. Upload your image at imgur or minus

EDIT: all is well.

Owwari

Banned
We're actually all sentient AIs who live in the pipes of GAF.

... which brings me to my second post!

Galilei Donna Episode 7

ca9b3efb01efabe5ab0aade621d2caee1384484189_full.png

This series gets darker, grittier and more tense every episode since they killed off those orphans. Party because of the main villain, who is not afraid to fill up heads and bodies with bullets if you ever dare stand against him. They lost control of the mystical ''energy stone'' so now they've decided to find and collect all the Galileo Tesoros instead, wishful thinking but it will lead to something eventually.
I'm excited to see what will happen, the goldfish AI is just too cute to pass up.
(Oh and Kazuki, she's perfect)

cnet128

Banned
Monogatari SS 21 (Koimonogatari 1)

Well, this marks the first episode of Monogatari that I've watched after reading the novel material that it was adapted from (I actually read the first 100 pages or so of Koimonogatari this very morning, can confirm that it is good shit, and am looking forward to seeing
Kaiki chatting with happy snake god Nadeko
next episode).

And I must say, this definitely holds up as an adaptation even if I'm already familiar with the material. I mean, I was already reading the novel aloud to myself in my best Miki Shin'ichiro impression just because, but of course hearing the actual guy do it is on a whole different level. I think my impression is fairly good as impressions go, but Miki Shin'ichiro's voice is the voice of a god, and I cannot hope to truly reproduce that. Mmmmm yes, Kaiki, give it to me good. Wait what.

I think I'm going to have to actually write down my list of seiyuu man-crushes at some point because I may have too many to keep track of.

Point is, Kaiki is the best. A fair bit of the inner workings of his mind was sadly lost in the process of adaptation, of course, but all the important notes were there, and in exchange we got to see a variety of different Hawaiian shirts and moustache glasses. lol. I guess that's meant to be representative of the fact that Kaiki as a narrator doesn't give two shits about details, consistency, or truth. Or rather, he gives plenty of shits about the lack of them. (Seriously, you have no idea how often narrator-Kaiki reminds the reader to doubt every last thing he says.)

EDIT:

Welcome! I hope you will enjoy it here!

... which brings me to my second post!

Galilei Donna Episode 7

This series gets darker, grittier and more tense every episode since they killed off those orphans. Party because of the main villain, who is not afraid to fill up heads and bodies with bullets if you ever dare stand against him.
I'm excited to see what will happen, the goldfish AI is just too cute to pass up.
(Oh and Kazuki, she's perfect)

Just to warn you, posting positive things about Galileidonna is distinctly against the norm here. I think I might be the only person here who's still legitimately enjoying it, and even I thought episode 7 was a little weak. But yeah. Bullets. There were definitely those.

Oh, also everyone hates Kazuki. Well, I don't think she's that bad, but Hozuki is bettar.

I'll agree that the goldfish is cute, though.

Theonik

Kuttsukiboshi
Well this was pretty interesting to say the least. To call it an SDBurton anime would be doing it a great disservice really. It not only delivers on that front but does so much more.
I was expecting to be Nice Boat'd several times through its run.
the show was pretty competent in dishing out the crazy and playing with one's expectations. Especially given its runtime. Many laughs were had and to say the ending was special is an understatement.
And LMAO at the whole terminally ill siscon NTR hijinks
4/5SDBurtons

Monogatari SS 21 (Koimonogatari 1)

Well, this marks the first episode of Monogatari that I've watched after reading the novel material that it was adapted from (I actually read the first 100 pages or so of Koimonogatari this very morning, can confirm that it is good shit, and am looking forward to seeing
Kaiki chatting with happy snake god Nadeko
next episode).

And I must say, this definitely holds up as an adaptation even if I'm already familiar with the material. I mean, I was already reading the novel aloud to myself in my best Miki Shin'ichiro impression just because, but of course hearing the actual guy do it is on a whole different level. I think my impression is fairly good as impressions go, but Miki Shin'ichiro's voice is the voice of a god, and I cannot hope to truly reproduce that. Mmmmm yes, Kaiki, give it to me good. Wait what.

I think I'm going to have to actually write down my list of seiyuu man-crushes at some point because I may have too many to keep track of.

Point is, Kaiki is the best. A fair bit of the inner workings of his mind was sadly lost in the process of adaptation, of course, but all the important notes were there, and in exchange we got to see a variety of different Hawaiian shirts and moustache glasses. lol. I guess that's meant to be representative of the fact that Kaiki as a narrator doesn't give two shits about details, consistency, or truth. Or rather, he gives plenty of shits about the lack of them. (Seriously, you have no idea how often narrator-Kaiki reminds the reader to doubt every last thing he says.)

As someone who has read that part too i have to agree.
Kaiki during this arc is at a higher level than what he was before it's incredible.

Monogatari Second season - 21

Monogatari%20Series%20Second%20Season%20-%2021.jpg

You're gonna be Trolled .......

Congrats kaiki , this sure was entertaining , i doubt many would see what was true and what was false , trully the work of a master scammer !

That conversation was gold on so many points.

Owwari

Banned
Welcome! I hope you will enjoy it here!

Just to warn you, posting positive things about Galileidonna is distinctly against the norm here. I think I might be the only person here who's still legitimately enjoying it, and even I thought episode 7 was a little weak. But yeah. Bullets. There were definitely those.

Oh, also everyone hates Kazuki. Well, I don't think she's that bad, but Hozuki is bettar.

I'll agree that the goldfish is cute, though.

Thanks! I'll enjoy it I know it for sure (also yey another GD watcher)
Hozuki is unquestionably 100% waifu material. But I like Kazuki more since she's an angsty young girl, which makes her more human.

wonzo

Banned
finally, forbes has managed to stoop lower than gawker tier dreck outside of their already garbage financial op-ed's

…

Perhaps the most apt comparison for The Legend of Korra’s tone is acclaimed series Breaking Bad. The Vince Gilligain series is an immensely dark program that manages to stay watchable through little bits of humor such as Walt and Jesse stealing a barrel of methylamine, Huell and Kuby laying across a pile of Walt’s money, and Walt and Jesse getting stranded in the middle of the desert after a weekend long cook. Through these bits of humor Breaking Bad was able to keep us on board as Walt systematically destroyed his entire life in search of the richest of riches.

…

The Legend of Korra is unlike any other show on the air and any series that came before it. It truly feels like the first time an animated series has attempted to be something dramatic and dark. That’s not to say every series should act this way, surely similar age-skewing programs like Adventure Time benefit from their lighter tone. But for a series that should have been nothing more than a franchise cash grab, we’ve been given a show that’s never been seen before. We’ve been given the world’s first animated television drama.

scusthov.gif

cnet128

Banned
Thanks! I'll enjoy it I know it for sure (also yey another GD watcher)
Hozuki is unquestionably 100% waifu material. But I like Kazuki more since she's an angsty young girl, which makes her more human.

Oh, actually, slight correction: it was episode 6 I thought was a little weak, not episode 7. Episode 7 was pretty decent. Episode 6 was also the one with all the bullets.

I guess I'm just getting confused because the noitaminA shows are a week behind everything else in episode number. Silly noitaminA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom