• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ace Attorney Dual Destines - Case DLC

The some of the best witnesses ever. Filled with pirates, orcas, a rapper, AND A PENGUIN MAN (I really liked his animations).

And it somehow managed to surprise me
at the end.

One thing that I also liked is that
this gave Pearl more time, and relevance than Case 5 did. It also gave her a reason to actually be there.

Fuck, 8 years, and Phoenix still got it.

Gazoinks

So i've only been watching kill la kill this season. What else is worth watching this season?

Kyousougiga is the one take away that I'd recommend. Other things I'm watching and haven't dropped:
-White Album 2: Surprisingly good romance love triangle friendship whatever show
-Log Horizon: Does some nice things with its MMO setting, and the protagonist is awesome. Initially seemed slightly dumb fun, imo, but it's lately become sharper and smarter.
-Golden Time: I have some (somewhat significant) issues with it, but a lot of people here are enjoying it, and I am too more or less.
-Samurai Flamenco: Mood whiplash so sudden it broke my neck.

Owwari

Banned
So i've only been watching kill la kill this season. What else is worth watching this season?

It seems you're okay with ecchi. From the top of my head, consistent quality anime this season:

- Ore no Nounai (ERABE!).
- Log Horizon.
- Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta.
- Valvrape Second Season
- Outbreak Company (great if you get the references).
- Strike the Blood.
- Monogatari 2nd Season (continuation).

Honorable mention to Tokyo Ravens and the incredible production values (specially music).

I find it disheartening that only one person has listed Gundam Build Fighters so far, and with that....

-Gundam Build Fighters
-Samurai Flamenco
-Yozukura Quartet
-Kyousogiga

Apparently Samurai Flamenco. Due to a certain....something that happened in the seventh episode.

I mean I haven't watched it, but a few pages back people we're going nuts about it.

SamFlam was already good before that moment though. That moment specifically might be a make it or break it for the quality though.

Tokyo Ravens for the best action and drama series with the most well done characters.
Gundam Build Fights for the mecha and great deep friendship moments.
Samumenco for the good feeling Super Hero fix

Diabolik Lovers for YOURS TRULY, and the most well done female character in anime this year.

Nagi no Asukara for excellent drama

cnet128

Banned

Things that started this season and are totally worth your time:

Samurai Flamenco for the fun character interaction and the unpredictable plot.
Nagi no Asu Kara for the great atmosphere, adorable characters, and decent character drama.
Golden Time for the great pacing and romance with amazing chemistry.
Non Non Biyori for more adorableness than your mind can handle.
Perhaps NouCome for trashy yet hilarious hijinks.

Things that started earlier but are continuing this season and are totally worth your time:

Monogatari because it is the greatest thing on this earth.
Valvrave if you like robots and crazy shit.
Hunter x Hunter because it is the best shonen series ever made.

Syrinx

School Rumble 5

Harima reveals the story of how he fell in love with Tenma to his hot cousin and also a teacher, all while she knew she was sitting in the next book over. But here Tenma's thickness is actually beneficial to Harima.

Lol at Tenma pitching to Harima. Poor guy didn't know what to do. I love how he asked the catcher if he should hit, and the catcher was just like "...Sure?"

Jarmel

Banned
finally, forbes has managed to stoop lower than gawker tier dreck outside of their already garbage financial op-ed's

scusthov.gif

Korra truly is a masterpiece.

Bombless

I would add Arpeggio of Blue Steel to the list. Sci-fi naval warfare / harem / comedy with cg action. The protagonist is a keen strategist and the stuff he comes up with is pretty good.

It's not quite in the same tier as the best stuff however.

Asura's Wrath 1

What an epic first episode :0

What are the must watch space opera anime?

Yes! It's the best interactive anime ever. However the ending dlc is REQUIRED to enjoy it to the ULTRAMAXXXXX.

Hattori

Banned
Check out Yamato 2199 for a recent one. Not really knowledgeable about the genre otherwise. I hear Legend of Galactic Heroes is great.
I'll check that one out, thanks

Yes! It's the best interactive anime ever. However the ending dlc is REQUIRED to enjoy it to the ULTRAMAXXXXX.

hmm, I usually despise paying for DLC however I just borrowed it from the library so I just might buy it

-Gundam build fighters
-Log horizon
-yozakura quartet ?
-Kyousougiga

if you want some shonen stuff then watch hunter x hunter if you aren't already.

You know I think I'd actually call Yozakura Quartet a much more standard shounen than HxH at this point. Kind of funny when you think about it.

Bombless

hmm, I usually despise paying for DLC however I just borrowed it from the library so I just might buy it

Then do this : finish the game and see how the ending feels to you. I was extremely let down by it. The ending dlc adds another 4 chapters and is excellent.

Episode 11.5 and 15.5 dlc are skippable, and the 2 Street Fighter chapters are fun, but very optional. For these dlc i'd recommend Youtube. But dat ending though...

Hattori

Banned
Then do this : finish the game and see how the ending feels to you. I was extremely let down by it. The ending dlc adds another 4 chapters and is excellent.

Episode 11.5 and 15.5 dlc are skippable, and the 2 Street Fighter chapters are fun, but very optional. For these dlc i'd recommend Youtube. But dat ending though...

ah ok, I'll do just that thanks :)

Narag

Infinite Stratos S2 8

Suddenly shoujo, Pika-tan appears to buoy the episode. This ep would have been such shit without her. Maybe without Russia too, jury is out on that one.

Ah yes Clannad. After watching that I've pretty much decided not to watch any other romance anime involving a high school, because I don't think any of them will go as far and beyond the boundaries like Clannad did.

Clannad was the one rare occurrence that did something different and went a step further than your usual anime high-school romance.

Kyousougiga 06

The next episode preview is so hyping me up right now.

But, just as loved this episode as well. Always nice seeing the family all together and I always enjoyed the part where the plot goes into nonsense in the ONA while now there's slightly more sense to be made here.

wonzo

Banned
holy shit, i just realised jun maeda is basically the david cage of the vn/anime industry but with slightly less rape & misogyny

Gazoinks

Oh man this is great. I hope you have season two in hand... don't stop till you've seen the whole series!

I plan on it! They're both up for free streaming on Hulu, which is pretty nice, ad breaks aside.

Clannad 09

Even more feels

I'd seen a couple of people mention that the Fuko arc was too long, but I didn't really have any issues with it.

This whole episode was very happysad.
With the trio partying with Fuko and then waking up with her gone. And then remembering! And then forgetting again. But then kind of remembering a little!

Seeing Tomoya cry was a good moment, because he seems like such a low-affect guy most of the time.

Curious whether we'll hear from Fuko again later. I kind of hope they leave it at that, but you never know.

Strike the Blood 8

+2 Harem Members!

Nice going, Kojou.

Special mention goes to Asagi, who actually took the initiative and now holds the title for best girl in the show.

Was there ever any doubt she was best girl?

I'm guessing this guy would love Psycho-Pass.
Well...I was entertained!

I didn't think this needed to be said, but Psycho-Pass was a good enough show where everywhere else I go it's well loved enough. As a sci-fi fan it was fantastic short of a slow start and 1 or 2 unnecessary arcs. AnimeGAF consensus isn't fact. Un;ess Psycho-Pass is genuinely mocked as a general thing instead of people disappointed for it being a simpler Ghost in the Shell.

Beyond the Boundary is another example. Everywhere I go people seem to be liking it. Personally I don't.

Korra suffered and struggled about halfway through the new season, then fixed the animation a bit, fixed the main character issue, then jumped the gun a bit on the magic of the first show and finally went full-retard with its ending episodes only for the writers to do something bold that they won't be able to fully live up to due to their inability to even write proper teenage romance which everybody and their mums do nowadays. The most comparable aspect to Psycho-Pass is a sizable ambition they weren't able to live up to. Korra season 2 was almost universally critiqued by fans (outside of fanboys/girls),

jman2050

holy shit, i just realised jun maeda is basically the david cage of the vn/anime industry but with slightly less rape & misogyny

At least Jun Maeda made something good once. More than I can say for David "I couldn't be a filmmaker so I just write terrible games" Cage.

Vecks

Yet another day of sports anime.

Hajime no Ippo 8
And here we have a closer look at our delightful new villain. Man, this guy is crazy and gross. How the heck does no one ever call the cops on this psycho? I just love how everyone in the restaurant was staring at him eating a steak.

Kuroko 8
Flashback complete. It feels kind of weird to compare this flashback to how the show started in the beginning. The name of Teiko at the start of the series seemed more revered, but this flashback shows their name was feared by Hyuga and Teppei.

Ace of Diamond 8
And there we have it. The secret is out. Why was it a secret in the first place? Just to make it more dramatic, I suppose.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AnimeGAF consensus isn't fact.
Not always, but we do try to set the bar higher than what you'd find elsewhere. A bunch of us are well past indiscriminately loving every new show that comes out. There's nothing inherently wrong with unremarkable shows(we like our junk food too), but flowing praise for such a title comes off like that guy saying Korra invented animated drama.

Articalys

I was going to make a Saturday night update of my season rankings, but then I realized that I've been curating what I'm watching so well for once that almost my entire list (with a few exceptions) would be in the highest tier, each show with its own strengths, so there's no real point to trying to order them right now.

I have a friend who's obsessed with monster girls in anime and like 90% of his chat messages to me now are "would you want to get together with [insert moe girl creature]"

For some reason I don't think he's getting the message that I'm not into that. And I've made it explicitly clear. By saying "dude I am not into that, stop asking". I don't find it possible that a different selection of words could give a clearer message. This has been going on for months now.

First World-senpai Problems?

Gazoinks

I have a friend who's obsessed with monster girls in anime and like 90% of his chat messages to me now are "would you want to get together with [insert moe girl creature]"

For some reason I don't think he's getting the message that I'm not into that. And I've made it explicitly clear. By saying "dude I am not into that, stop asking"

He's waiting for stockholm syndrome to set in.

Narag

For some reason I don't think he's getting the message that I'm not into that. And I've made it explicitly clear. By saying "dude I am not into that, stop asking"

Sounds like the makings of an animegaf poll.

Das Ace

For some reason I don't think he's getting the message that I'm not into that. And I've made it explicitly clear. By saying "dude I am not into that, stop asking". I don't find it possible that a different selection of words could give a clearer message. This has been going on for months now.

First World-senpai Problems?

Sounds like a bad case of 'spending to much time on /a/'-itis

Sounds like the makings of an animegaf poll.

I wouldn't judge here since I know people aren't obsessed with them. It's disturbing. He's gone full monster-girl yandere.

Well, would you? You didn't say no.
Everytime he asks I first tell him no, give reasons, then post that exact sentence above haha.

He responds by calling me a british cigarette, talking about some other one, then the cycle continues. If I try to steer the conversation into something else it'll work for maybe 4 minutes. I hope he finds something healthier to obsess over.

Like video games.

Sounds like a bad case of 'spending to much time on /a/'-itis
Oh. It doesn't sound like it. That's exactly it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom