• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digimon Xros Wars 07

LpZyGGSl.jpg

Such a lewd show.

duckroll

I fully agree that these works aren't done by one party however there should have been some communication on the part of the writers to Shiotani that the movie is a followup to essentially a comedy if that was the intention from the beginning.

Assuming no communication was made, what difference do you think it would have made if they did anyway? I don't think he was unaware of the TV series. He just sucks as a director. The Last Dark wasn't bad because it wasn't a comedy, it was bad because it was a bad show. It tried to be serious and cool, but failed to entertain on both counts. Just like Psycho-Pass. :p

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm not sure what -you- are even arguing about anymore. This isn't about dichotomy or anything like that. My point was simple - that if something is considered bad, a twist does not make it better. If you don't feel that a scene is bad, then there is nothing to argue because it does not contradict that point. You said that "The storm is more meaningful and eventful when preceded by a calm. I wouldn't complain about including calm and not giving us full storm, provided sufficient payoff." to which I replied "It's not about tone, it's about execution." And you reply with "Or tolerance."

Do you not see how that is disingenuous? No one is arguing against tone shift, or a mundane setting leading into something more later. I was making a point about how a twist cannot justify something which the audience already considers poorly made. You then insinuated that because I used Blood-C as an example, I was claiming that it should "full storm" instead, which was not the case at all. Since you agree that the earlier parts could have been handled better, it seems you do agree with my general point. So I don't know what else there is to even talk about here.
Actually, that's not what I meant, although I can see how it was taken that way. For me it was tying in remarks about boring scenes being unengaging, when it may simply not be engaging to particular viewers. Hence, tolerance. In other words, the point of contention is how the calm is handled, not the existence itself.

As for what there is to talk about, it's pretty much like how we usually argue. :p

Jarmel

Banned
Assuming no communication was made, what difference do you think it would have made if they did anyway? I don't think he was unaware of the TV series. He just sucks as a director. The Last Dark wasn't bad because it wasn't a comedy, it was bad because it was a bad show. It tried to be serious and cool, but failed to entertain on both counts. Just like Psycho-Pass. :p

Can't argue with this.

I do think we have a fundamental disagreement though on 'bad' shows and how to view them under the definition of good or bad but ultimately I don't think it matters if the audience is able to tell the distinction.

duckroll

Actually, that's not what I meant, although I can see how it was taken that way. For me it was tying in remarks about boring scenes being unengaging, when it may simply not be engaging to particular viewers. Hence, tolerance. In other words, the point of contention is how the calm is handled, not the existence itself.

As for what there is to talk about, it's pretty much like how we usually argue. :p

But c'mon, you know that I've always argued that something being mundane is not always boring. It depends on the quality of the content. I just made this argument a few weeks ago on the start of Samurai Flamenco (another show which I'm sure there'll be a lot to talk about retroactively in a few months lol). Like I said, no one seems to dispute the existence of the calm, so all this effort has been for nothing!:p

Gazoinks

Clannad 14

And thus ends what is hopefully the least interesting arc of this series. Like, okay yeah Kotomi's angst was angsty and feels and whatever, but I had a hard time getting really invested in it because of how boring and passive Kotomi was. Sure being passive is a major character trait of hers, but that doesn't make it more interesting. For the majority of this arc, she just kinda sat there and everyone else moved around her and occasionally pushed her in different directions. If anything, most of this arc felt more like it was about the bonding of Tomoya, Nagisa, Kyou, and Ryou than anything having to do with Kotomi.
The only part where I actually got really interested in Kotomi's angst was the second half of this episode. Aside from the
incredibly cheesy "passing off the suitcase" montage
, and the general contrivedness of it, I thought it concluded pretty well. Not least because it actually involved Kotomi doing something instead of everyone else just doing things around Kotomi.
The childhood relationship between Tomoya and Kotomi also felt unncessary. There was some stuff there, but all things considered I don't think it would've changed her character or arc much if it was removed. If anything it might've made me like her a little more.

Also? Random Fuko cameo was lame and I hope it never happens again because it cheapens the ending of her arc. If Fuko is going to come back, make her come back from the coma or something. Don't just have her randomly show up after everyone made a huge deal about her disappearing forever.

Hopefully the next arc is stronger! Kyou next plz.

Jarmel

Banned
I was actually looking some stuff up for Kill La Kill and went into Mayumi Shintani's work portfolio. Guess who I found on the list?

11498-622965236.jpg

Oh lawd. I won't be able to get the line on the swing out of my head every time I'm going to see Nonon in KLK.

CorvoSol

I was actually looking some stuff up for Kill La Kill and went into Mayumi Shintani's work portfolio. Guess who I found on the list?

11498-622965236.jpg

Oh lawd. I won't be able to get the line on the swing out of my head every time I'm going to see Nonon in KLK.

I hate this character so much.

Jex

NOPE, only powerspeaker came close.

Ao are the worst

This seems to getting a little serious.
I'm having a really hard believing this myself as it requires a level of writing much higher than a show with cat moms in it.

It's always important to remember mom cat. I know that a shockingly high number of shows have had TWIST REVEALS in them but there has to be an upper limit to this somewhere.
FOR JARMEL:
she has been being used to kill him from the start but she fell in love with him; the moe girl persona isn't really an act as most of it its an anime adaptation exaggeration. She does need the glasses.

Well, there you have it, shitty LN writing alert.

Jarmel

Banned
Shoujo Kakumei Utena- 1

tumblr_m0fktysJG31qmt5mvo1_500.gif

Well this was an impressive opener. Besides the music, the most captivating thing about the episode is the art direction. Everything has a strong motif to it and this is carried through with extravagant visual flair. Roses are everywhere, being repeatedly slammed into your face.
Wakaba reminds me of a toned down Mako. I did find it interesting that Utena still identifies herself as a female despite how tomboyish she is. Breaking down those gender barriers I guess.
i3Z4qgULvKJF.jpg

The famous staircase of stock footage.

Jex

Considerations of me dropping KnK though, as good as this episode was, now rely on
Whether Akihito is truly dead next episode and not alive in some way shape or form. Vagueness and cutaway scenes usually means they're alive somehow, but basically without him I'm out. I don't care for the other characters.

For anyone who has ever watched any amount of anime
you should ALWAYS assume that if you don't see the kill they aren't dead. Ever. This isn't like a Greek play where people can die offscreen. You have to confirm the kill.

Jarmel

Banned
you should ALWAYS assume that if you don't see the kill they aren't dead. Ever. This isn't like a Greek play where people can die offscreen. You have to confirm the kill.

Even if you do see the body, that doesn't mean anything sometimes either.

Gazoinks

Shoujo Kakumei Utena- 1

tumblr_m0fktysJG31qmt5mvo1_500.gif

Well this was an impressive opener. Besides the music, the most captivating thing about the episode is the art direction. Everything has a strong motif to it and this is carried through with extravagant visual flair. Roses are everywhere, being repeatedly slammed into your face.

Wakaba reminds me of a toned down Mako. I did find it interesting that Utena still identifies herself as a female despite how tomboyish she is. Breaking down those gender barriers I guess.

Yeah, I love the art direction of Utena. I'm a big fan of silhouetting in art and Utena delivers that in spades. Also yeah there were a few roses here and there.

Jex

The one thing I still don't get about Blood-C is whose idea it was to use a song for the OP that goes through three different languages.

More languages = cool. People who write songs in languages other than English seem to enjoy throwing in random English, or other languages, from time to time.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, I love the art direction of Utena. I'm a big fan of silhouetting in art and Utena delivers that in spades. Also yeah there were a few roses here and there.

Yea Penguindrum really does seem like a step down.

More languages = cool. People who write songs in languages other than English seem to enjoy throwing in random English, or other languages, from time to time.

German everywhere.

That's why I'm assuming as much. But I don't know if I can take a whole episode of
moping around then SURPRISE I WAS STILL ALIVE NOBODY SAW THAT COMING.
either.

wonzo

Banned
Super Yoyo 13-15

superyoyo13.jpg

From THE MATRIX to bullshit racing calls, CRIPPLED BROTHER FLASHBACKS, & some of the most incompetent doctors you'll ever see, this show really does have it all!

Super Irresponsible YoYo 13-15

WHY IS EVERYONE SO FUCKING IRRESPONSIBLE!?

It was fine against Moe Girl and Shinichi up until post results (Moe girl best girl btw), the moment we find out he fucked up his arm it goes downhill.

WE GET TWO DOCTORS! TWO FUCKING DOCTORS! IRRESPONSIBLE! OH, I GUESS I'LL KEEP YOUR SHITTY ARM A SECRET SINCE YOUR FRIENDS BASICALLY STATED THEY SUCK YOUR COCK FOR COURAGE! SURE!

BREAK A LEG TOKEN FEMALE CAST MEMBER SAID! That was hilarious, what an ass.

THE BACKSTORY DOESN'T MAKE SENSE FOR CIRCUS MAN AND HIS TERMINALLY ILL BROTHER AND DEAD-ON-THE-INSIDE-SISTER-MOE! WE DON'T EVEN SEE THE TRANSITION TO DEAD-ON-THE-INSIDE-MOE! But HEY AT LEAST SHE HAS PERKY TITS! THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF HOW SHE ACTS! ALSO HAY
HE BROKE HIS LEGS! HE'LL BE FINE! TOO BAD I FUCKED UP THAT DIAGNOSTIC! HES PSYCHOLOGICALLY DAMAGED TOO AHUAHUAHUAHUAHUA

YOU FUCKING IRRESPONSIBLE BITCHES/ASSHOLES! GET THE OIL OFF YOUR CHEST AND DO YOUR FUCKING JOBS PROPERLY! SHOULD BE SUED FOR MALPRACTICE

Might as well get Psycho Mantis up in this bitch.

Oh and there was some extra Beard Moe too!

Articalys

Although to be fair, in this case the lead singer was actually French-Japanese, so I guess it was kind of justified.

Articalys

Huh. Wonder how this will turn out.
An anime adaptation of Magica Wars (Mahō Shōjo Taisen, or literally "Magical Girl Wars"), a project from the otaku variety program 2.5 Jigen Terebi (2.5D TV), has been green-lit for a television premiere next April. The anime studio Gainax is producing the project, and the anime magazines will announce more details such as the cast and broadcast stations on December 10.

The project is not only spawning an anime, but DMM Games will launch a free-to-play smartphone browser game called Magica Wars Tactics in December. The game has the following premise: "You are the hero with a special mission. Protect Japan from wave after wave of invading 'Magatsuhi,' with the support of 47 local magical girls!"

Welp just found out one thing my GF is getting me for Christmas.
Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryōiki no Déjà vu on blu-ray,
so glad I bailed on the bootleg 1 minute in and could somehow wait this long to see it.

also getting my Okabe & labcoat Kurisu Figma sometime in December, so perfect timing.

Branduil

Alright fine then, we'll go with the slow parts of Blood-C as being intentional. I'm skeptical of the Blood-C staff because whatever genius there supposedly was during the TV series, the movie lost all of it and took itself seriously but let's go with the TV series in isolation.

It all makes sense once you realize that CLAMP hates all of humanity, including the fans of the show.

cnet128

Banned
So, am I the only one that thinks Kill la Kill's opening Sirius is awesome to listen to? I mean, its no Sorario Days, but I think it's still one hell of a fist-pumping song.

I wholeheartedly support this opinion.

Noukome ep 8

The real chocolat......oh god.....why is she so perfect?

lolno. "Standard" Chocolat is miles better than that imposter.

Bakemonogatari 8

Senjougahara>Kanbaru for now.

I wonder how it feels to be so wrong.

I just wish the writer would learn to be more succinct with his dialogue. Especially Senjougahara. Girl opens her mouth and talks for like, three minutes straight every single time. And every character being a witty wordsmith is a bit grating at times.

But...but...the Nisio dialogue is the best part! <3

And Yet the Town Moves

It feels like Tamako Market.

Interest in this show rising.

The one thing I still don't get about Blood-C is whose idea it was to use a song for the OP that goes through three different languages.

I don't know, but that song is great.

Hmm, looks like some manga series called Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou had an anime greenlit. I'm not familiar with it, and the only summary I can find is as follows:

Will have to do a bit more research.

Potentially interesting...

edit: oh, it's from the same mangaka as Love Lab.

GIVE IT TO ME NOW

Clannad 14

And thus ends what is hopefully the least interesting arc of this series.

Yeah pretty much. Kotomi's arc never quite "clicked" with me.

Nordicus

Kyousougiga 7

On the edge of my damn seat here.
Inari's pretty damn chill even with entire the damn Mirror Kyoto turning into dust at this very moment

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
King of News and Views here with news that you too can be an anime OP song singer!

5fybsyL.png

We are, we are, reporting news,
WE ARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom