• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

Samurai Flamenco 8

PIU3JTM.png

ajKFk67.png

Interesting how they've compressed the entirety of a chunky length of time's monsters and resolutions within an episode. After seeing the previews I figured this was going to turn into a monster of the week show for a while, etc, etc. Fortunately they seem more interested in just scooting the story along.

The tail end of this episode is super fascinating, almost as if it was a repeat of the opening of the last episode. Both heroes and now the council getting super complacent. Aside from Goto's GF's text, I'm glad they didn't feel the need to make it super obvious through a monologue or conversation how unsettling it is for Masayoshi to be at ease.

Nordicus

Golden Time 09

Booo. Ghost Banri sucks.
Yep. Go away ghost banri.

Now I'll actually join your group in boo'ing Ghost Banri.

Didn't really hate him before, he was merely just there as an exposition device. If this Ghost Banri possession is simply not just memories coming back, but full-on "Old Banri Mode", I'll flip a motherfucking table

To say something positive about this episode, at least we now know young Banri did something noteworthy to gain Linda's affection.

Owwari

Banned
Golden Time 9

Oh my, they just HAD to make it happen eh? This is calling for some massive trouble.
Specially considering how cute and fragile Kouko is.

jman2050

It's going to be pretty funny if Golden Time
actually sets up the ghost of Banri's pre-amnesia self as an antagonist of sorts. Wouldn't have expected that coming in.

LordCanti

Samumenco 8

I got dumber watching this. The
monsters
worked when they were
chopping heads off and generally being awesome
but without that...ZzzzZzzzZzzzzzz.

They also let
Guillotine Gorilla
animate this episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Didn't really hate him before, he was merely just there as an exposition device. If this Ghost Banri possession is simply not just memories coming back, but full-on "Old Banri Mode", I'll flip a motherfucking table

To say something positive about this episode, at least we now know young Banri did something noteworthy to gain Linda's affection.

God, this all sounds so Japanese. RIP Golden Time.

cnet128

Banned
Samurai Flamenco 8

Wow, this really is moving along at a nice brisk pace. It's fun to see
Samurai Flamenco and his gang becoming real heroes and fighting against monsters
, but it's clear the show isn't content to just sit around and let that be its whole new focus. No, this is still very much about the characters behind the masks, and how these new crazy developments are affecting their personal and professional lives.

It feels like this episode was getting all the standard
superhero monster-battling fare
out of the way to prepare for whatever twists and turns the narrative has got planned next. Personally I can't wait to see what those are.

Some may feel that the
monsters in this episode
were a little lame, and I can definitely see where they're coming from, but I think that's kind of the point. The actual fighting itself clearly isn't what's important here, fun though it may be. I'm more intrigued by
the monsters' readiness to helpfully explode the moment Samumenco lands a finisher on them, and what that means with regard to their origins and purpose. All signs definitely seem to point towards these bad guys being a manufactured enemy designed specifically to give Samurai Flamenco the chance at some heroics. I just wonder how and why.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
kill la kill 09
not a very effective ball gag. i am already bored with how straightforward these fights are. it's hard to see much of interest in this king of the hill arc.

Owwari

Banned
Galilei Donna 9

Kazuki confirmed as best girl, can cook (and save your life) whenever possible. Also black hair.
Ughhh...
I'm hating Anna's guts, just how far can she go for an unrequited love? I dislike how some media characterizes women as defenseless and useless.

cnet128

Banned
Hozuki is also a loli if you're up for it

And how!

Outbreak Company 9

SWIMSUIT EPISODE!!!!!

No, that wasn't my reaction, that was my best imitation of Shin'ichi...okay, I lied, it was both. Musel's swimsuit in particular was frankly divine. 10/10

Meanwhile in the Extremely Serious Conference of Ascertaining Petralca's Ideal Swimsuit, that one guy's "just as planned" face was utterly priceless.

Theonik

Armored Hunter Mellowlink 12 END
Pretty awesome finale. Mellowlink is one lucky son of a bitch.
Though, at the same time, I'm not sure how
killing the Lt. really helps Mellow. He's still got people that want him dead and knows too much after all. At least he gets the girl I suppose.
Overall this was an enjoyable OVA. It had points that made me feel things should have been done differently but it redeems them with some nice action and the added bonus of "hey it's more VOTOMS guys" It also doesn't go full stupid like the series did which is welcome.

Time for me to continue that Umakoshi show you people have been bugging me about.

Acosta

4 of Tokyo Ravens

I'm dying in this episode hahaha

What a great show, love it. It´s all very typical, but the delivery and the characters make it works for me.

Considering the ending of this episode preview was kinda weird.
Maybe that old banri mode lasts only for something like very begining of next episode and then he is back to normal banri? Or maybe he just got his memories? Dunno but preview made it seem like nothing major happened

cnet128

Banned
Valvrave 20

Welp. That's one way for
the pilots' little secret to get out

Also L-Elf get a grip. When you get over this depression of yours there had better be a Gurren Lagann Episode 11 level payoff.

Kyon

Banned
Hello Anime Sisteren.

Haven't been here in months ;_;

Miss y'all.

I haven't watched anime since Free! Came out. DTL recommended Meganebu(I love it), but what else is out?

I prefer Magical Girls. Since I've only been keeping up since Free that means anything after Fantasista Doll and Illya.

Oh and I already started on Kill La Kill so yeah (OMG I love KLK)

EDIT:

What is this? It looks iconic

original.gif

jgminto

Samurai Flamenco 8

Well that was pretty disappointing. I didn't really want them to go this route. It was much better when it was about Samumenco upholding everyday justice. Now it just feels like a mess.

Valvrave 20

Welp. That's one way for
the pilots' little secret to get out

Also L-Elf get a grip. When you get over this depression of yours there had better be a Gurren Lagann Episode 11 level payoff.

L-Elf? Depression? I should probably catch up with this show to see how THAT happens.

Owwari

Banned
Golden Time - 09

Can someone just kill ghost Banri already?

Yeah it's aggravating.
Actually I always wanted to know what happened around these episodes, since it's the famous "Black Hole'' of the Golden Time Light Novels (nobody in the West knew what happened between novels 2 and 5 I think).

I knew things would be okay in the future but damn
, did not expect Ghost Banri to be such a nuisance.

cnet128

Banned
Fresh>>>Heartcatch

Now that's an opinion I don't think I've heard before.

Fresh is the next series on my list once I finally find the time to finish GoGo. I look forward to finding out if there is merit to your high praise.

Kill la Kill 9

Yep, that was a pretty good battle. It's good to see Ryuuko actually improving and adding new tricks to her arsenal, even if
her victory here did rely partially upon a mistake on her opponent's part

Next episode it looks like
we're up against intelligence man Inumuta, which should be interesting since he's perhaps the enemy we've seen the least of so far, and his fight should be rather different in style from Gamagoori's

The only slight disappointment in this episode is that
the show seems to be taking the straightforward route of devoting one episode to each battle in this little "tournament". Which could make things start to feel a little formulaic, but honestly I can't really complain as long as the battles stay good.

Kyon

Banned
DOES. NOT. COUNT.

The dub is only the first series anyway, so you're missing out on Sharp, Motto, Naisho, and Dokkan!

The Sailor Moon dub also does not count.

Sailor Moon was my first anime when it came out and I only watched it in japanese. I own the VHSs which I have to get rid of and have the entire series on DVD and all the old mangas ;_; it's my #1 anime ever

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sailor Moon was my first anime when it came out and I only watched it in japanese. I own the VHSs which I have to get rid of and have the entire series on DVD and all the old mangas ;_; it's my #1 anime ever
Doremi is by two of the three Sailor Moon series directors. It deserves more than a hackjob dub!

Golden Time - 09

Well I knew Banri/Linda was going to happen eventually but didn't expect
ghost Banri
to be the plot device for it.

Makes me feel sorry for Linda...

Kyon

Banned
Doremi is by two of the three Sailor Moon series directors. It deserves more than a hackjob dub!

You know what's funny about this just last night I was speaking to a fellow gaffer about Doremi. How everyone sleeps on it. It's a good show. Forgive me for watching the filthy dub I'm going to cleanse myself and watch it properly.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You know what's funny about this just last night I was speaking to a fellow gaffer about Doremi. How everyone sleeps on it. It's a good show. Forgive me for watching the filthy dub I'm going to cleanse myself and watch it properly.
Yeah, Doremi lacks an obvious hook to garner interest. It's fairly unremarkable until you start watching and realize it's really good. Getting a 4kids dub instead of a proper localization outright doomed it to obscurity.

Anyway, you're just in time too, as the sub work on it was finally completed this past week.

7Th

Yeah, Doremi lacks an obvious hook to garner interest. It's fairly unremarkable until you start watching and realize it's really good.

Anyway, you're just in time too, as the sub work on it was finally completed this past week.

Tell them to watch episode 4 of Naisho. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom