• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samurai Flamenco 8
Hmm. this seems to be getting too easy for them. Maybe, it return to being the smarter show it was
*sees ending scene
Nope

Bombless

Golden Time 9

Spoilering my thoughts just in case.
As much as I want to hop on the "Fuck ghost Banri" bandwagon, you have to admit the guy has as much "right" to existence as amnesiac Banri. It isn't fair, but if I was in his position, I'd do the same.

Samurai Flamenco 8

Another good episode, focusing on behind the mask. Also, more Manager-san is always good!

Naruto Shipuuden 340

I'm running out of expletives. Madara man, wtf. The Tsunade - Dan moment felt kinda forced though.

Kill La Kill 9

That wasn't really an entertaining fight...Completely onesided and then BAM magic trick and Ryuko wins! Granted, it was a nice trick, but still.

sonicmj1

On the subject of Kill la Kill 9, there's room for an ambitious .gif-maker to replace that classic Ikuhara-related MS Paint image with something more dynamic.

Kansoku

Kill la Kill - 9

I think the hype is dying on me. It was a cool ep, but the more I watch KLK the less I seem to enjoy it. It feels slow and weird. I liked it because it as over the top but now it just more weird than fun. IDK, maybe I'm not in the mood.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
KLK 9

This episode had brief flashes of what I was hoping to see out of the action aspect of the show, but it was all mostly the illusion of good action thanks to how imposing
Ira's Scourge Regalia
is when all that's happening on screen most of the time is
Ryuko getting whipped by tentacles
. Trigger is certainly creative in how they mask their budget constraints, but the quality of the fight choreography is still noticeably hamstrung by it.

I think that a continuing problem with KLK that this episode serves to reinforce is that the antagonists are just plain more compelling than Ryuko. Even if Ira's backstory is as basic as it gets, the fact that Satsuki's elite guard are all loyal to her for different reasons at least prevents them all from feeling like a monolithically evil group of people and reflects on Satsuki as a character for whom there may be more than the outer veneer of fascist tyranny. The personal philosophy that shapes Satsuki's ambitions is at least some sort of a thesis statement that demands elaboration at some point; Ryuko, by comparison, is still just an angry Natsu Dragneel.

This shounen-esque shitennou arc still feels really flat and awkward given that two of the four challengers have received zero buildup of their own and are only threatening by association with Satsuki. I'd be less concerned with this if it actually felt like it was "time" for this to happen in the story, but with the widely meandering nature of the narrative structure and habitual lack of buildup to major events, there's no sense of excitement or fulfillment or catharsis here. It's just happening because it's happening. At the very least, they kind of managed to do justice to Ira here, even if
the second-most-threatening antagonist in the show jobbing for the protag so early in the story is inherently disappointing

Owwari

Banned
Outbreak Company 9

Minori has some awesome jugs, nuff said. Myucel was HELLA CUTE on that bikini, reminded me of why I love summer, chicks with style, alcohol and happy time.
Pretty decent episode, the Highlight has to be the Elder Meeting to decide Petrarka's perfect swimsuit, hahaha. Too bad she didn't join the party though.

Now onto the development part, I guess Miusel is has finally realized her feelings and you can smell love drama incoming.

Joe Molotov

I prefer Magical Girls.

Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo!!

W0wWLYr.gif

wonzo

Banned
Love Live! OVA

loveliveova.jpg

This was more of a new MV with an extended intro featuring a dream ghost loli version the red headed one. It was pretty dumb and the sakuga & improved CG dance part weren't worth it.

Defuser

Samurai Flamenco ep 8

This show is has turn full on tokusatsu sentai. The power suit is closer and closer to be full on real in a few episodes.

Samurai Flamenco 8

Yeah, the twist killed my interest in this. The visuals continuing to slide even further doesn't help things either. I think I'm done here.

cajunator

Banned
Hello Anime Sisteren.

Haven't been here in months ;_;

Miss y'all.

I haven't watched anime since Free! Came out. DTL recommended Meganebu(I love it), but what else is out?

I prefer Magical Girls. Since I've only been keeping up since Free that means anything after Fantasista Doll and Illya.

Oh and I already started on Kill La Kill so yeah (OMG I love KLK)

EDIT:

What is this? It looks iconic

original.gif

Hello! Theres nothing this season in magical girl genre unfortunately. did you see Daybreak Illusion from last season?

Kill la Kill 9
Pretty damn good episode. Loved the imagery in this episode. The development of Ira's character was also pretty good despite its simplicity.

Samurai Flam 8

You know I think the way things have progressed is weirder than the sudden change in direction of last episode. I figured this would turn into an edgier Toku style show, but outside of some minor morality questioning, it's pretty much a normal one with shades of the earlier parts of the show. I'm guessing that could be part of the plan, since they're really trying to drive home the "no casualties" thing, but based on what's available, this is just really weird all around.

Midonin

Hanasaku Iroha Home Sweet Home
One Moment in Time

When it comes to Hanasaku Iroha and Mari Okada, I've known that the parts I like are not the ones most people will go to. I considered episode 3 to be the moment when HanaIro started hitting its stride and revealed its true potential, and think that Jiromaru was one of my favorite characters. I see him as a lovable loser instead of just a loser, and as I said back for InuHasa, if a character's a writer, I can't really dislike them.

So, the movie. What better day than Thanksgiving to watch a movie about family? I sorta like that Japan has a tendency to make its movies fit within the series, where they serve to expand rather than rehash. The K-ON! movie didn't try to top that perfect ending point, only to give it more context. And the same here. Making Nako and Satsuki's stories the main ones, two characters who only got a small amount of screentime compared to Ohana, Minchi, etc. was a good move.

Yuina stole every scene she was in, and the heron continues to be one of anime's finest birds. And Tomoe. My god, her barely simmering rage is so entertaining. I also liked some of the performance details. For one, I didn't even notice that was Yoko Hikasa as the young Sui until I read the credits. And credit must be given for Kanae Ito's similar yet subtly different performances for Ohana and Satsuki. The latter had more of a roughness to it, closer to her Sena voice. Finding out how Ohana's parents met was pretty sweet, and since the main series was all about Ohana finding her own romance (a point brought up in the movie itself), it once again does that whole enhancement thing.

I actually got a bit teary-eyed at the scene where Nako and Mana reunited. The cinematography with the sunset and Ohana's impassioned speech, plus all the buildup from before, built to a wonderful catharsis. There were enough little callbacks to the series sprinkled throughout, too. Everything I've come to expect from Okada. That may mean theatrics and melodrama and characters with unusual names, but I don't have a problem with those.

Final Thoughts: It never gets as melodramatically heavy as the TV series, focusing more on being heartful. I wouldn't call it a strictly necessary watch for fans of the series, but watching it can only add more to the experience. The camerawork is well done. A lot of the composition in the shots with Satsuki - and the her in triplicate plus Ohana at the very end - draws out the themes of the story well. The present day stuff is similar to an episode of the series, and seeing more of Nako's family is appreciated. A thoroughly emotional journey, so for fans of the series, still worth it.

One final note. I love how they confirmed that Ohana's name was chosen because of its similarity to the Hawaiian word. (It also doubles as a pun on "nose". Japanese, you are a wonderful language.) I'm on the same wavelength as the writer!

Gazoinks

Samurai Flamenco 08

A very S&M Thanksgiving.

You know, I thought that this show would become more interesting after the "twist", but this episode didn't really deliver on that front. It was kinda cool see everyone working together, but other than it wasn't particularly interesting. The villains were mostly pretty stupid, and since they stuffed a bunch into this episode the fight scenes weren't much. Hopefully they did that to make room for better stuff going forward. They're at least building up a sort of ominous feel of complacency at the end of this episode.

I really don't understand why they introduced Jijo into this series or what his role is supposed to be. Every episode with him in it has been "Oh I have to travel see ya". Such a compelling character.

Oh god so ugly.

Golden Time 09

Eugh. Please god give me one small mercy and let Ghost Banri be a bad fever dream that's not actually in this show. Please. I beg of you. This show's delicate balance between goodness and stupidity is teetering over a black miasma and if it falls in on the next episode I am probably going to drop it.

Am I supposed to be sympathetic towards Banri enabling Linda or think they're both stupid highschoolers?
"I WANT TO SEE HER RUINED" "Yeah me too let's do it!" "I AM GOING TO LIE FOREVER" "Yeah me too let's do it!"
It's, uh, nice that you pledged your unending devotion I guess, but... Not a great way to do it in my personal opinion.

Give this to Golden Time: Weirdest love quadrangle ever.

It's probably partly because I'm kind of cranky right now, but this was a kind of disappointing anime day. KLK was good but suffered from bad pacing and making the future iffy, Flamenco and Golden Time were pretty meh.

Tenumi

Banned
Spent Thanksgiving away from the computer, come back to news and exhaustion.

savinganime44.jpg

white whale holy grail etc

...Still can't believe Dokuro-chan of all things got me started watching Anime...

Hmm. New Precure designs...

I think theyre cuties!

Not too bad. I like the hair designs. Going to be better to see in motion.

DOES. NOT. COUNT.

The dub is only the first series anyway, so you're missing out on Sharp, Motto, Naisho, and Dokkan!

The Sailor Moon dub also does not count.

...You know, when I finally get to Sailor Moon, I'm going to miss some of the dub music. Transformation, specifically, for an example. Also, Doremi, still in my future....

Galilei donna - 08

Pretty sure those were tears of guilt

Can't help but think that she is headed toward a very bad ending .

As expected , hozuki is just too much a fast worker and a mecanical genius .... ( best girl ? best girl ! )

Golden time - 09

i DONT LIKE THIS TURN OF EVENTS

Linda , what the heck does "being an adult " mean ?

Seriously ? That was like the dumbest move ever. This solves NOTHING ..heck i can bet 10 bucks that
the guy that was looking at banri is the one responsible for the bike accident

What's with this turn of events ? This is like unnecessary padding almost. What are you doing koto ? what's with the uncertainty ? did i miss a forshadowing somewhere , or does she have a 6th sense ?

How does this
body swapping works , anyway ? The result is painfully obvious because there is 1 heroine in this gigantic mess and it's NOT LINDA
Why am i wasting my time ? i feel like dropping this show.

Gazoinks

Golden time - 09

i DONT LIKE THIS TURN OF EVENTS

Linda , what the heck does "being an adult " mean ?

Seriously ? That was like the dumbest move ever. This solves NOTHING ..heck i can bet 10 bucks that
the guy that was looking at banri is the one responsible for the bike accident

What's with this turn of events ? This is like unnecessary padding almost. What are you doing koto ? what's with the uncertainty ? did i miss a forshadowing somewhere , or does she have a 6th sense ?

How does this
body swapping works , anyway ? The result is painfully obvious because there is 1 heroine in this gigantic mess and it's NOT LINDA
Why am i wasting my time ? i feel like dropping this show.

Aaat least I'm not alone on these feelings, and it wasn't just because I was in a bad mood. :|

Golden Time 09

Oh god please tell me this show didn't just decide to go the route I'm thinking it's gonna go. If so that'll ruin what was a great a show.

edit: apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way. Jesus. This ruined what was a perfectly nice thanksgiving day. Hopefully Samumenco and Kyousougiga fix this

Aaat least I'm not alone on these feelings, and it wasn't just because I was in a bad mood. :|

Golden Time 09

Oh god please tell me this show didn't just decide to go the route I'm thinking it's gonna go. If so that'll ruin what was a great a show.

Damn this episode left plenty of stuff that i felt was either unnecessary or forced.

The whole flashback had a purpose but i don't think the events flowed very well together.

Gazoinks

Damn this episode left plenty of stuff that i felt was either unnecessary or forced.

The whole flashback had a purpose but i don't think the events flowed very well together.

The flashback did have a purpose, but it felt overlong to me and
I think the show was trying to make me sympathetic to Banri's terrible decision making skills, which didn't totally work exactly. DON'T SAY "YEAH I'LL LIE WITH YOU" TELL HER TO OWN UP YOU IDIOT.

And yeah the ending and the drama in the beginning and HRNG.

Gazoinks

The
ghost
in episode 5 of Golden Time nearly killed the whole thing for me. I'm debating whether to trudge on or not.

At this point I wouldn't bother. As someone who hated that whole plot... thing and only continued because I felt there was enough good stuff to counterbalance it, this episode threw that way out of balance. Maybe it'll recover, but right now it doesn't really seem worth it.

zeroshiki

At this point I wouldn't bother. As someone who hated that whole plot... thing and only continued because I felt there was enough good stuff to counterbalance it, this episode threw that way out of balance. Maybe it'll recover, but right now it doesn't really seem worth it.

It was going so great there for 4 episodes too :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom