• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owwari

Banned
Kill La Kill 9

KDpxZRZ.jpg

What can I say? I would agree that the battle choreography was a little underwhelming this time, but they did a damn good job with the budget constraints. I hope they go all out on the next episode, we don't know much about Maddo Scientisto glasses guy.

Aim for the Ace 13

No, don't make me sympathetic for Otowa! This wasn't supposed to happen!
But with her fading out of the picture looks like Ryuuzaki will be stepping forward as Hiromi's main antagonist. It's a funny character reversal.

I think the problem with Golden TIme is that I was hoping the drama wouldn't be about
love triangles and not knowing which girl to pick
but after this episode? For fuck's sake. I just wanted a simple romantic comedy with Koko being psycho lover. Fucking Toradora author seems he/she wants another melodrama on her hands.

Kyousougiga 07

Finally what I've been waiting for... kinda.
the reunion with the mom was this super emotional thing while the dad only got a hug from Koto and then the shit storm appeared. Unloved dad train continues. Though he seems pretty indifferent. It seems Rabbit Koko and him don't meet up till the next episode and shit's going down

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Golden Time 9

I knew this would be terrible 2 episodes ago. What the fuck man. Hell, this might have been okay without the supernatural part - if not still tremendously tedious - but god damnit.

Wait

i say :
The whole flashback had a purpose but i don't think the events flowed very well together.
You say :
The flashback did have a purpose, but it felt overlong to me
So we agree , then ?

The
ghost
in episode 5 of Golden Time nearly killed the whole thing for me. I'm debating whether to trudge on or not.

i had hoped it would be used as a flashback device only but what they did at the end of both episode 8 & 9 was 100% unnecessary. For me the main appeal is koto that is a instable girl and very flawed and i feel that there is material for plenty of things with that alone , not THIS

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Unbreakable Machine Doll 2-8

I stopped watching the show because of how silly it can get but at least they can keep the cliffhangers coming. Shit's constantly going down.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Golden time - 09

i DONT LIKE THIS TURN OF EVENTS

Linda , what the heck does "being an adult " mean ?

Seriously ? That was like the dumbest move ever. This solves NOTHING ..heck i can bet 10 bucks that
the guy that was looking at banri is the one responsible for the bike accident

What's with this turn of events ? This is like unnecessary padding almost. What are you doing koto ? what's with the uncertainty ? did i miss a forshadowing somewhere , or does she have a 6th sense ?

How does this
body swapping works , anyway ? The result is painfully obvious because there is 1 heroine in this gigantic mess and it's NOT LINDA
Why am i wasting my time ? i feel like dropping this show.

Aaat least I'm not alone on these feelings, and it wasn't just because I was in a bad mood. :|

Golden Time 09

Oh god please tell me this show didn't just decide to go the route I'm thinking it's gonna go. If so that'll ruin what was a great a show.

edit: apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way. Jesus. This ruined what was a perfectly nice thanksgiving day. Hopefully Samumenco and Kyousougiga fix this

Golden Time 9

What these fine gentlemen said. Fuck this shit. And most of all fuck
Ghost Banri

But in retrospect, maybe we should have all seen this coming a mile away. How else could the
ghost
plot have gone, anyway? Doesn't make it any less bullshit, though. Ughhhhh I was gonna save Kill la Kill for tomorrow but now I need something to make me forget this garbage. =/

I probably won't drop the show as I'm too invested in Koko's happiness to not know how it ends. But it's gonna be a long ride to the 20+ episodes.

Samumenco 08

Let me say this now and get it out of the way as I usually do: I fucking hate the Flamenco Girls. They annoy me to levels i didn't think possible after all the anime I've seen. Especially lead Flamenco Girl and her hypocrisy when it comes to saving people, it just makes her even more of a shitty character I can't stand.

Having said that, I'm enjoying the full-retard rollercoaster, but they need to express the characterization more. The animation was such ASS though. I can't believe they'd give the guy related to Baccano and Durarara such a shit animation team.

Owwari

Banned
Golden Time 9

What these fine gentlemen said. Fuck this shit. And most of all fuck
Ghost Banri

But in retrospect, maybe we should have all seen this coming a mile away. How else could the
ghost
plot have gone, anyway? Doesn't make it any less bullshit, though. Ughhhhh I was gonna save Kill la Kill for tomorrow but now I need something to make me forget this garbage. =/

Gentlemen, HOLD YOUR HORSES!!
I come from the future and the future is bright (well, as in Toradora bright, take it as you can).

That said, fuck Ghost Banri, fuck Linda and oh my god
that theory about the creepy guy is completely possible!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I probably won't drop the show as I'm too invested in Koko's happiness to not know how it ends. But it's gonna be a long ride to the 20+ episodes.

Same here. Unless it gets SUPER bad, I won't drop it. But man, two or three more episodes like this and I don't even know.

I come from the future and the future is bright (well, as in Toradora bright, take it as you can).

That said, fuck
Ghost Banri
, fuck Linda and oh my god
that theory about the creepy guy is completely possible!

But we already know that the anime differs from the original source material in a few significant ways. I'm sure they wouldn't alter the ending TOO much (no more than the Toradora anime altered the LN ending, at least), but still, we can't count anything out.

I'm just worried is all. =/

zeroshiki

golden time sounds really bad. lmao

It was pretty good when it was about college kids, their relationships and that one imbalanced girl. Sort of like Honey and Clover. What they've done now is took a shark and used that to jump over the other sharks.

Owwari

Banned
Same here. Unless it gets SUPER bad, I won't drop it. But man, two or three more episodes like this and I don't even know.

But we already know that the anime differs from the original source material in a few significant ways. I'm sure they wouldn't alter the ending TOO much (no more than the Toradora anime altered the LN ending, at least), but still, we can't count anything out.

Really? I only detected a couple of discrepancies and the obvious rushing.
Major change I've noticed to far: Different place for Barni x Linda ultra drama moment (club room instead of drinking party). Nothing else.

Can somebody spoils me how the LN ends or is currently at then? I don't wanna stick around if I don't like the ending. I'm assuming he
ends up with Koko
but would like reassurance.

zeroshiki

Don't spoil yourselves. Its never worth it. Unless we're talking about Macross Frontier. In that case, go right ahead because I understand the importance.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Really? I only detected a couple of discrepancies and the obvious rushing.
What I've noticed to far: Different place for Barni x Linda ultra drama moment (club room instead of drinking party). Nothing else.

Hm...the hell did I read about, then? :lol

Ah well, doesn't matter. As long as everything turns out fine in the end (and given the STUPIDLY heavy OP spoilers, of course it will), I'm cool. But the road there looks like it might get a bit shitty.

Owwari

Banned
Can somebody spoils me how the LN ends or is currently at then? I don't wanna stick around if I don't like the ending. I'm assuming he
ends up with Koko
but would like reassurance.

Click at your own risk:

Yes, he is still daying Kouko, but she's currently MIA after a depression dive tour. She says ''goodbye, but I'll be back'' in the last Volume.

Don't spoil yourselves. Its never worth it. Unless we're talking about Macross Frontier. In that case, go right ahead because I understand the importance.

I don't know man, it worked for me with Game of Thrones as to not scream in anger during one certain event in the latest novel. I don't want to be spoiled over everything and any media, but in these cases where I'm strongly considering doing something or not it does help.

Take the Madoka movie for example. When I eventually watch it I won't want to Kurt Cobain since I'm already aware of what happens

Click at your own risk:

Yes, he is still daying Kouko, but she's currently MIA after a depression dive tour. She says ''goodbye, but I'll be back'' in the last Volume.

Well at least the LN is still going on.
that's reassuring though, thanks. I was expecting some bullshit leaving/drama since it's from Toradora creator though.

The anime will eventually differ from the LN series though. Unless the author GRRM's and shares what's going to happen with the anime.

zeroshiki

If you guys really wanted Koko to be happy, you'd root for her to drop both of those losers and find someone better.

I don't know man, it worked for me with Game of Thrones as to not scream in anger during one certain event in the latest novel. I don't want to be spoiled over everything and any media, but in these cases where I'm strongly considering doing something or not it does help.

If you're talking about that scene in ASOIAF (Season 3 on TV I think), I read that, stopped and had to take a walk because I was so upset :lol Its still more fun to get outraged in real time.

Syrinx

Couldn't watch anything today. Will watch Kill la Kill and Samurai Flamenco tomorrow.

And maybe Laws of Eternity.

If you guys really wanted Koko to be happy, you'd root for her to drop both of those losers and find someone better.

If you're talking about that scene in ASOIAF (Season 3 on TV I think), I read that, stopped and had to take a walk because I was so upset :lol Its still more fun to get outraged in real time.

Well that one I did rage over quite a lot when I read it a couple of years ago. But I never really cared for the characters involved as much as other leads. So when I read what happens in Book 5 to my favorite character I rage threw my kindle. Not really. But I wanted to.

Narag

Couldn't watch anything today. Will watch Kill la Kill and Samurai Flamenco tomorrow.

And maybe Laws of Eternity.

Maybe? smh

Well that one I did rage over quite a lot when I read it a couple of years ago. But I never really cared for the characters involved as much as other leads. So when I read what happens in Book 5 to my favorite character I rage threw my kindle. Not really. But I wanted to.

Indulge me and remind me which part you're talking about. PM probably preferred to avoid someone accidentally highlighting!

zeroshiki

Wait, are there spoilers for Book 6 out?
Do we know what happens to Jon?

Owwari

Banned
Well at least the LN is still going on.
that's reassuring though, thanks. I was expecting some bullshit leaving/drama since it's from Toradora creator though.

The anime will eventually differ from the LN series though. Unless the author GRRM's and shares what's going to happen with the anime.

Golden Time MASSIVE SPOILERS BEWARE

Yeah, but you can't deny the trolling class from the author:
Kouko actually causes a car accident during their summer beach trip, and proceeds to enter Hikkikomori mode (Volume 6) because of the guilt and regret -you know, since his beloved boyfriend's life and traumas revolve around an accident!!-. He tries to convince her out of it and partially makes it but for some reason she leaves on Volume 7, that's the cliffhanger and last Volume released.
Oh, and Linda the bitch takes advantage of emo mode Kouko btw, she triesto get closer to Banri during this time.

Yeah, but you can't deny the trolling class from the author:
Kouko actually causes a car accident during their summer beach trip, and proceeds to enter Hikkikomori mode (Volume 6) because of the guilt and regret -you know, since his beloved boyfriend's life and traumas revolve around an accident!!-. He tries to convince her out of it and partially makes it but for some reason she leaves on Volume 7, that's the cliffhanger and last Volume released.
Oh, and Linda the bitch takes advantage of emo mode Kouko btw, she triesto get closer to Banri during this time.

AW HELL NAW. ALL THIS DRAMA. See this is actually making me consider not dropping the show now. Thanks Ditto.

Jewelpet Happiness 1

q5wKVBU.jpg

Well? Are you?!

The aggressively random and nonsensical nature of Kira Deco has been toned down considerably in this season. You won't find anything as nuts as watching TV through the moon here. But the fast-paced comedic delivery is still there and makes this still enjoyable. The slapstick was especially hilarious, with poor Chiari bumbling through the day. Chiari seems like a relatable middle schooler, good-natured without being sickingly sweet, earnest enough that you want to root for her to get through her mishaps.

dUWEMk7.jpg

Last year it was an iPhone ripoff; this year it's an Android ripoff. Jewelpet keeps up with the times.

The merchandising is more up-front and not as self-aware as Kira Deco, Jewelina's speech being more obviously "buy this plastic shit" than the tea party that opened the first episode of Kira Deco, but the Jewelbox conceit is integrated fairly well into a breezy, charming little narrative which gets down to brass tacks and starts pairing humans and Jewelpets up right away. So I can't be unhappy. The cafe seems like a good fulcrum for the narrative to pivot around.

While the backgrounds are somewhat weaker than Kira Deco, I like the human character designs better, especially some of the side characters. The overall style is more rounded and more pleasant on the eyes, and they're already being used in expressive ways.

93ZAryo.jpg

The adult males have the best designs.

So while Happiness seems like it'll be a more conventional girls' series than Kira Deco (we've got a romance for our lead going already!), I think it'll contain enough about the franchise that I'll get a lot out of it.

7ABBXkW.jpg

Glad to see crazy reaction faces are still around.

Ha-

Narag

Are the jewelpet characters maintained through shows? For whatever reason, I just assumed it was a yearly reboot like Precure.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kill la Kill 9

Man, the doujins that are going to be made because of this episode...

Also, is it just me (of course it's not, why even say this), or does Gamagoori's size vary wildly depending on what the scene calls for? One minute he's relatively normal size, the next he's goddamn gigantic for no discernible reason. :lol

Now that you mention it... I can't remember outright the last time I saw a crazy reaction face. I mean I'm sure the hundreds of high school slice of lifes i've seen have done them. But I can't say for certain.

Are the jewelpet characters maintained through shows? For whatever reason, I just assumed it was a yearly reboot like Precure.

The Jewelpets themselves, such as Ruby and Angela, stick around - they're what the franchise is built around, after all. It's a Sanrio character franchise, like Hello Kitty. But the setting and the human characters are different from season to season. So in Kira Deco there were no humans living in Jewel Land, whereas in Happiness humans and Jewelpets live side by side in it.

Narag

The Jewelpets themselves, such as Ruby and Angela, stick around - they're what the franchise is built around, after all. It's a Sanrio character franchise, like Hello Kitty. But the setting and the human characters are different from season to season. So in Kira Deco there were no humans living in Jewel Land, whereas in Happiness humans and Jewelpets live side by side in it.

Oh, I had no idea. Thanks!

wonzo

Banned
It was pretty good when it was about college kids, their relationships and that one imbalanced girl. Sort of like Honey and Clover. What they've done now is took a shark and used that to jump over the other sharks.
something something toradora author

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Up front Golden Time was super bland LN crap. You would think ghosts and cults would make things more interesting, but the show is so straight and earnest with its stupidity that everything just got even worse.

Nordicus

I'm cautiously optimistic that Golden Time can still redeem itself. Shit, we got more Nana next episode, and that's great in my book.

Still, if
if Ghost Banri has 100% control in the way they speculated in reddit, that he comes out when normal Banri's asleep, then my table's in for some hurt. I'd really want this to be a fusion of the 2 minds, not hotseat

fertygo

Menco - 08

Its obvious this twist thing not what the production team intent to reflect what the show truly about, this shit is so awkward.. maybe its supposed to be like that, but man its not fun to watch.

I don't think it's possible for Samumenco, Golden Time, and White Album 2 to jump the shark simultaneously [for the people still watching]. If so we'd have a sharknado.

So I'm putting in my votes on Sharkmumenco being the highest jumping shark of the season. The other two, if they do, will pale in comparison.

To heal the wounds though remember that we always have DATABASE DATABASE LIVING IN THE DATABASE.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think it's possible for Samumenco, Golden Time, and White Album 2 to jump the shark simultaneously [for the people still watching]. If so we'd have a sharknado.

So I'm putting in my votes on Sharkmumenco being the highest jumping shark of the season. The other two, if they do, will pale in comparison.

To heal the wounds though remember that we always have DATABASE DATABASE LIVING IN THE DATABASE.
Golden Time jumped the shark like 3 weeks ago!

I don't know why people are freaking out about Golden Time. It was pretty obvious from the get go that it was going to be dumb melodrama power hour. How the author decided to bring about the dumb melodrama is just icing on the cake.

Isn't the LN for Golden Time still on-going?

zeroshiki

I don't know why people are freaking out about Golden Time. It was pretty obvious from the get go that it was going to be dumb melodrama power hour. How the author decided to bring about the dumb melodrama is just icing on the cake.

We were hoping for Honey and Clover and got... Madoka Magica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom