• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Kill La Kill 09

Spoiler wave interference.
Good episode,
secondary transformation Senketsu hnnnnnngh
I kinda agree that Ryuuko needs a secondary conviction of sorts, though I'm not sure if it's something that is really needed till at least the series midpoint. At this pace, we have 1 diva per episode, so that means she'll be done by episode 12 that leaves 13 for the series finale unless they extend the final fact which they may well do.

http://www.ginsaji-anime.com/staff-cast/

Silver Spoon season 2 staff change. The assistant director Kotomi Deai has taken over as director of the series. This means that Tomohiko Ito is finally free.... to direct Sword Art Online season 2! Let's get excited for an announcement on New Year's Eve. :D

JuTXlYj.gif

cajunator

Banned
Having a lot of experience with Precure in general.

Granted, that being said... With Doki Doki designer doing Fresh previously.... it certainly isn't as good as Fresh as a fair warning to people.

I still dont see how anything can be construed from a bunch of artwork.

Wolf Children is so good, I made an avatar from it even though it could be construed as furry.

You shouldnt care so much really. If its good, its good.

There is this thing as getting a good or bad impression from a work , kinda like you might watch a movie at theaters after seeing the Cover picture.( without seeing a teaser or a trailer ) Making an opinion out of the information available is something well people does , even if it's better to wait for more info

It just makes little sense with Precure since all the character art is generally pleasant to look at in the first place. not till the show starts to air can you even see the cost cutting. Like Dokidoki looked extremely cute with big beautiful eyes on the girls and well drawn details. I still say wait and see. Im not a huge fan of umakoshi, so its actually the show Id least likely check out based on the art. But I keep hearing that its the best storywise.

Muv-Luv Alternative - total eclipse - 01

This is a nice first episode. i must admit that the way they speeded up the events to make this team of friend was nicely done. so was the tension at the end ..

Overall the episode was enjoyable with some Cg here and here , but it was well done

This anime starts pretty well i must say.

Ps: where are the men in this school ?

It just makes little sense with Precure since all the character art is generally pleasant to look at in the first place. not till the show starts to air can you even see the cost cutting. Like Dokidoki looked extremely cute with big beautiful eyes on the girls and well drawn details. I still say wait and see. Im not a huge fan of umakoshi, so its actually the show Id least likely check out based on the art. But I keep hearing that its the best storywise.

People don't look at that with pleasant eyes , people want to critise, let them. I agree it doesn't make sense , but the harsher critics are from people who wouldn't watch the show in the first place.

Samumenco 8

We've gone full Sentai! I'm not really sure I'm liking the change. After the end of the last episode I was hoping it meant things were going to get real. I mean last episode we had like 7 cops die and one got his fucking head cut off. This episode we had 4 different bad guys with incredibly dumb super sentai villain plans be defeated relatively easily. You can't suddenly turn the volume up to 11 and then turn it right back down to a 6!

That said, I'm still interested in where this is going to go because it appears everything is not as it appears and maybe Goto is the only one who notices right now.

jbug617

Banned
City Hunter 5

How you going to introduce
Makimura's sister the episode before and then kill Makimura the next episode. They should of done a couple of episodes before they killed him off.

Muv Luv Alternative - 02

Muv-Luv%20Alternative_%20Total%20Eclipse%20-%2002.jpg

This problem was solved very quickly .

I guess there was plenty of subtle death flags all over the place.

Those 8 minutes are quite the bullsh*t number BTW.

Overall this episode had decent cg , plenty of good stuff. So i guess i'll continue watching

Ps: this show doesn't hold back on the blood on the mech or the floors/walls.

cajunator

Banned
Muv Luv Alternative - 02

Overall this episode had decent cg , plenty of good stuff. So i guess i'll continue watching

How much does the character Chobi show up in this show? She seems adorable but also a minor side character.
I dont really know anything about MuvLuv otherwise.

Bombless

Muv Luv Alternative - 02

It was an enjoyable series, but the ending was a let down, explanation in spoilers (
the last episodes introduce a new GIANT plot and the ending is basically "To be continued lolz"
). Binge watched it one weekend.

Also Chobi is shown throughout the whole series, but yeah, secondary character.

How much does the character Chobi show up in this show? She seems adorable but also a minor side character.
I dont really know anything about MuvLuv otherwise.

Chobi just arrived in episode 3

---------------
Muv luv alternative - 03

This like a decent ( even if flawed ) team. I like.

I must admit the cg in this show is done well enough. I like that too.

Good episode ...there are a lot of questions but i'm pretty sure i'll have a answer soon so i'll keep them for me.

Animenewsnetwork new look is alright

It is however more heavier than before ( technical level ) but that's what is considered "acceptable" by today standards

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Galilei Donna - Episode 8
I feel it coming...

When the time comes to sacrifice the whole family to save the world, the writers of this show better not puss out on me :mad:

I feel just the right amount of attachment to these characters that their deaths should be worth at least a few hours of sweet sweet warm and smothering depression.... mmmmmmh! I can't wait!

Jarmel

Banned
Kill La Kill- 9

This fight was boring as fuck. The uniform bails her out once again and nothing has changed. Ryuuko is a scrub of a fighter and it's not that much fun to watch her in general.

cnet128

Banned
Galilei Donna - Episode 8
I feel it coming...

When the time comes to sacrifice the whole family to save the world, the writers of this show better not puss out on me :mad:

I feel just the right amount of attachment to these characters that their deaths should be worth at least a few hours of sweet sweet warm and smothering depression.... mmmmmmh! I can't wait!

Are you seriously suggesting that the show is going to kill all of its three protagonists?

That seems remarkably unlikely.

Vito

Banned
AnimeNewsNetwork is a pretty horrible site that now has a look to match its contents. They love to throw the journalism around but are pretty scummy.

I think the "Right Turn Only" column regularly reviews manga that are scanslated, when I went through the list for the past year or so, it was either a JManga title or one that got scanslated, don't think I found exceptions. Back in the day they also used to watch fansubs.

The majority of their reviews tend to be pretty horrible, reviewers having no clue about what is animation have trouble telling apart studios like Trigger and Gainax. I rarely read them but on occasion some unfortunate soul does and links it around.

On the news front, they love to embed videos, god forbid one would inconvenience the reader to actually visit the official page, best of all they bypass region locks as well. Do they do this on their own? Nope, worst case they'll just go on youtube to snag a link, quality doesn't really matter.

The worst part is, they're really horribly desperate and greedy to get every backlink they can get. For a long time they had to rely on manganewsjapon for manga news but after a time they managed to get leaks on their own. Because the internet didn't sing them enough praise they started watermarking the scans, giant transparent logo over the page and a shortened url in the corner, hell their watermarks are more obnoxious than the Chinese ones.

TL;DR: worse than gaming press.

P.S: here's a pic from the Persona 3 movie twitter

Are you seriously suggesting that the show is going to kill all of its three protagonists?

That seems remarkably unlikely.

i'm betting on
the spy girl sacrifice herself to either kill or reform the italian dude with the origamis.The dad manages to recover his wife memories.

Or both parents die saving their children

Kansoku

Another - 1~12

It's a pretty good anime, I have to say. Even though I'm not a fan of horror, I really enjoyed watching this. The sound design was amazing and really set the mood to the whole thing. It remained me of Amnesia: The Dark Descent for it's great use of sounds. However the OP and ED were not that good. The OP felt creepy but it's not a good song. The ED was a mood-killer. Visually it's pretty good too, the dark (but not too dark) and more importantly vibrant colors were great and nice for a change (colors on these types of things are usually desaturated and very very dark). The characters are nice, but aside form the main cast, the rest of the class were there just to fill the space and their
deaths did not make me care

Now for the story. It was great until the last 2 episodes:
the "send the dead to the death" made sense, but the thing with Misaki eye felt out of place, and basically a deus-ex machina. Together with that, the 10 deaths of August were too much. The whole burning down building, the Misaka is the extra, and "everyone" killing one another were awful. The "curse" is pretty clear: 1 person dies every month. But then they go out of that and 10 people die on a single month. And most of them were accidents. It feels out of place, like "let's make a chaotic ending just to have a big ending".

In the end it's a good anime. I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it.

1475 Umineko out of 10

Kill La Kill 09

Good episode,
secondary transformation Senketsu hnnnnnngh
I kinda agree that Ryuuko needs a secondary conviction of sorts, though I'm not sure if it's something that is really needed till at least the series midpoint. At this pace, we have 1 diva per episode, so that means she'll be done by episode 12 that leaves 13 for the series finale unless they extend the final fact which they may well do.

I have to agree. Ryuko may be badass, but we don't really have much reason to root for her other than "find out who killed her dad ".

But if I had a theory as to what could happen next to change things around, it would be for Ryuko to become the villain. Seriously, we've gotten more buildup from Satsuki at this point rather than Ryuko. Depending on what the details on what her father's death are, we might see a change in her. I'm not talking about a willing change, as there's all those scenes of the good time she has with Mako's family, but there's also the possibility of the Kamui taking over her if we take into consideration what Mohawk-man said in episode 5.

So here's my prediction on how the rest of this arc in Kill la Kill will play out.

-Ryuko beats Elite 4.
-Ryuko battles Satsuki.
-Ryuko beats Satsuki by going into some kind of Kamui god mode.
-Satsuki tells her the details of her father's death.
-Ryuko can't handle whatever the truth is and begins to rage.
-This causes her life-fibers to overload and cause Senketsu to consume and transform her, causing Ryuko to lose all sense of self-control.
-God-Mode Ryuko takes over the academy.
-Next arc of the show is Satsuki attempting to regain control of the academy (and possibly free Ryuko, depending on how involved she is with her father's backstory and how it will play out. That or Mako will do something.)

Of course, this is all speculation. But I don't think it may be too far off from the truth, as the show seems to be putting a bigger focus on Satsuki's backstory rather than Ryuko's. A lot of villain backstories always seem to have "revenge for fallen family member" thrown in there somewhere too.

But we'll just have to wait and see.

Jarmel

Banned
Watch the twist be that Ryuuko killed her dad due to neglect and rage. The event so traumatized her that she remembered it wrongly. Nobody wants to correct/tell her because it'll make her emotionally unstable.

Theonik

Lupin III - Pilot Movie (1969 Cinema version)
iyNntpdrC5j2L.png
it8IMFdASugdZ.png

C96 Watch, Score: Fail
This was pretty weird coming from the series.
We get to see a lot of the footage from the OP that wasn't in the series here and some of the stuff in it was pretty ho-hum too. Too rapey, Poor Fujiko. Also we see they went with the early gotta kill Lupin Goemon too which makes sense I guess.

Voicework is probably the weirdest part of the whole thing. Can't deal with proto-lupin voice.

Muv luv Alternative - 04
Those russia sisters (??) are so SDburton ....

And what a appropriate vision of russia interrogation techniques ... (still spot-on to this day )

The switch of focus from the girl to the guy isn't bad..i actually like it ... but i'm not exactly sure what is the plan here.

7Th

I dunno about some big twist regarding Ryuuko, they're just building up "Ryuuko finds a strong reason to fight" as KLK's equivalent of "Simon becomes a man". I actually don't think we will find out who killed Ryuuko's father in this arc; I can easily see an scenario in which the choice is "find out the truth" or "save Honnouji's innocent students (including Mako)" and she will realize she has a stronger reason to fight by picking the second.

-This causes her life-fibers to overload and cause Senketsu to consume and transform her, causing Ryuko to lose all sense of self-control.

Well, the thing is that the show is actually hinting at Satsuki being the one that is taken over by Junketsu; rewatch episode 6.

Theonik

I dunno about some big twist regarding Ryuuko, they're just building up "Ryuuko finds a strong reason to fight" as KLK's equivalent of "Simon becomes a man". I actually don't think we will find out who killed Ryuuko's father in this arc; I can easily see an scenario in which the choice is "find out the truth" or "save Honnouji's innocent students (including Mako)" and she will realize she has a stronger reason to fight by picking the second.
Yeah cue
the school coming alive as a giant God Uniform.

Muv-Luv Alternative - 05
Mecha with swords are much cooler than gun only mechs.

So a sword mecha fight is quite cool.

In this episode , chobi cuteness reached cajunator levels
AS expected that french girl had the right taste for this :)

Bombless

Muv-Luv Alternative - 05
Mecha with swords are much cooler than gun only mechs.

So a sword mecha fight is quite cool.

In this episode , chobi cuteness reached cajunator levels
AS expected that french girl had the right taste for this :)

Oh god yes, <3 the french waitress.

Well, the thing is that the show is actually hinting at Satsuki being the one that is taken over by Junketsu; rewatch episode 6.

Ryuko has been constantly using her Kamui in every single episode. How many times has Satsuki used hers? We haven't even heard Junketsu speak yet. It may seem to be demonic and evil, but remember the flashbacks? Satsuki know how to deal with people ten times bigger than her. Also if you compare Ryuko's personality to Satsuki's, which one is the more calm and controlled? Satsuki seems to know what she's doing while Ryuko is just winging it.

Perhaps the show hinting at Satsuki being taken over is a way for us to forget about that so we'll be more surprised if the big twist with Ryuko actually does come. I can totally see Satsuki pulling a Lordgenome and reveal herself to be the
ultimate guardian of this show or something.

BUT

There is also the possibility of Satsuki revealing that she tried to save Ryuko's father from who/whatever killed him but was unable to. We could get some backstory on how Satsuki tried to become stronger after failing to protect him. He might have been a good friend to her or something. THEN she could get taken over by Junketsu and Ryuko will do everything in her power to try and save Satsuki in honor of her father or something like that. That would serve as a reason for Ryuko to fight, depending on how they present it.

The entire direction of this show lies in the details of the death of Ryuko's father.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Good ending. Everything leading up to it from 25 sucks though.

Honestly, the Death Note anime's ending retroactively soured everything else for me because of how opposite it was in tone from the manga ending.
Light still dies and all, but the difference is that in the manga it's a final condemnation of Light's god complex and his hypocrisy. He dies ignobly, writhing on the ground in his own blood while he screams and cries about being afraid to die. In the end he's as mortal as everyone else and dies an ugly and cowardly death.

In the anime, he's still shot in the warehouse with Near, but instead of his death occurring there, it becomes an extended sequence where he escapes from that warehouse and begins running down the dock while clutching his wound. He finally enters another warehouse and lies down on a flight of stairs while Ryuk writes his name in the Death Note. It's a drawn-out scene that frequently lingers on Light's face, which is drawn with a sort of bishounen wistfulness far more so than any real agony; the sunset reflects beautifully on his face and then when he lies in the warehouse, heavenly shafts of light dance around his brow as the glimmer fades from his eyes.

It's a grotesque reimagining of the scene designed to impart tragedy to his suffering, flashing back at intervals to Light's pre-Kira life with the implication that the "real" Light still existed somewhere in his heart or that he was otherwise just misunderstood. He dies a peaceful death that restores his dignity after his final meltdown.

Granted, whether or not this was a positive change is probably dependent on whether or not someone is in the "Light was evil" camp versus the "Light was morally justified"
versus the "Light is smexy *glomps* =^_~=" camp
, but my reaction to the TV ending still stays with me because Death Note was the first anime I ever watched weekly as it aired in Japan and 39 weeks of expectations sort of came crashing down for me in a big way.

Bombless

Ryuko has been constantly using her Kamui in every single episode. How many times has Satsuki used hers? We haven't even heard Junketsu speak yet. It may seem to be demonic and evil, but remember the flashbacks? Satsuki know how to deal with people ten times bigger than her. Also if you compare Ryuko's personality to Satsuki's, which one is the more calm and controlled? Satsuki seems to know what she's doing while Ryuko is just winging it.

Senketsu speaks in Ryuko's mind only (apart from that one incident), for all we know Satsuki is spoken to by her kamui and she just ignores it.

I do expect her finding a bigger reason to fight once she learns about her father's death.

duckroll

http://www.kokaku-a.jp/

Ghost in the Shell Arise Border:3 Ghost Tears will open in Japan only on June 28 2014. A seven month wait this time. Loooong way off.

No staff for the episode yet, but judging from the pics it could well be the most "dangerous" installment of Arise yet, especially with Tow Ubukata writing. :p

All right. I'll give Wolf Children a try. I first have to figure out how I'm gonna watch it. Amazon seems to be the only option. I don't think I know anyone who owns this.

edit: didn't somebody here say Toonami was gonna air this? Or was it Summer Wars? I CAN'T 'MEMBER

7Th

I still think Ryuuko herself won't find out the reason her father was killed in this arc but rather she will find a different, stronger reason to fight; the whole "protecting Honnouji's innocent students rather than reaching her own relatively selfish objective" seems like the type of symbolic development Nakashima would use.
I mean, he used it like four times in Fourze.

duckroll

I think Ryuuko will find that most of the audience finds her fucking boring, and hence she will exit the show in shame, and Mako can take over as the lead in an action comedy that gives no fucks.

Jarmel

Banned
I still think Ryuuko herself won't find out the reason her father was killed in this arc but rather she will find a different, stronger reason to fight; the whole "protecting Honnouji's innocent students rather than reaching her own relatively selfish objective" seems like the type of symbolic development Nakashima would use.
I mean, he used it like four times in Fourze.

I just don't want them to drag it out as it hasn't been a remotely interesting mystery to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom