• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samurai Flamenco 8

We got like multiple Toku fights during Ballgag Thursday, clearly to give off some of the more ridiculous scenarios that play in them. From serious threats, to joke threats like buying AWW da Apples.

I know both Hazama and the MMM girls have been doing a lot better in their careers because of their successes, but at the same time, it's rather suspect when both of them rise just like their super identities. Which leads to Hazama's change of character noted by Goto's girlfriend. It's rather suspect honestly.

CorvoSol

Shin Mazinger Z 11

Jeez, I mean, this episode was awesome and all, but it is sort of hard to feel like Kouji is tense about finding a way to save Sayaka and defeat Asura when Sayaka hasn't really got any manner of relationship to Kouji at all. We barely know this girl.

Narag

Shin Mazinger Z 11

Jeez, I mean, this episode was awesome and all, but it is sort of hard to feel like Kouji is tense about finding a way to save Sayaka and defeat Asura when Sayaka hasn't really got any manner of relationship to Kouji at all. We barely know this girl.

I think it's assumed everyone knows the Kouji side of things hence all this focus on the supporting cast and antagonists.

Nafe

Since it's been about a season and a half or so, I went and updated the thread history list for AnimeGaf again if anyone is interested.

----

Note 1: There is no Winter 2005 listed because Fall 2004 goes into March of 2005, covering both Fall of 2004 and Winter of 2005.

Note 2: There is no Winter 2006 listed because the Spring 2006 thread actually starts in January and goes until June thus covering both Winter and Spring seasons.

Note 3: Winter 2011 seems to be mislabeled as 2010 as it covers the winter 2011 season. There is no Winter 2010 thread then as Fall of 2009 goes into January of 2010 and the Spring 2010 thread starts in February leaving only a month gap.

Note 4: Fall of 2012 may or may not have had an OT4...

Fall 2004--(FnordChan) 295 posts/Up to 6 pages!

Spring 2005--(bloke) 774 posts/Up to 16 pages.
Summer 2005--(duckroll) 268 posts/Up to 6 pages.
Fall 2005--(bloke) 679 posts/Up to 14 pages.

Spring 2006--(FnordChan) 614 posts/Up to 13 pages.
Summer 2006--(FnordChan) 813 posts/Up to 17 pages.
Fall 2006--(FnordChan) 720 posts/Up to 15 pages.

Winter 2007--(7Th) 755 posts/Up to 16 pages.
Spring 2007--(7Th) 2432posts/Up to 49 pages!
Summer 2007--(7Th) 700 posts/Up to 14 pages.
Fall 2007--(FnordChan) 1264 posts/Up to 26 pages.

Winter 2008--(7Th) 740 posts/Up to 15 pages.
Spring 2008--(FnordChan) 3079 posts/Up to 62 pages!
Summer 2008--(mephesta) 1099 posts/Up to 22 pages.
Fall 2008--(FnordChan) 1107 posts/Up to 23 pages.

Winter 2009--(rykomatsu) 594 posts/Up to 12 pages.
Spring 2009--(FnordChan) 1153 posts/Up to 24 pages.
Summer 2009--(FnordChan) 1206 posts/Up to 25 pages.
Fall 2009--(7Th) 1150 posts/Up to 23 pages.

Spring 2010--(anotheriori) 3953 posts/Up to 80 pages!
Summer 2010--(Mandoric) 13469 posts/Up to 270 pages!!
Fall 2010--(7Th) 20024 posts/Up to 401 pages!!

Winter 2011(Labeled as 2010)--(Dresden) 15097 posts/Up to 302 pages.

Spring 2011--(InfiniteNine) 20005 posts/Up to 401 pages.
Spring 2011(2)--(InfiniteNine) 3001 posts/Up to 61 pages.

Summer 2011--(Lafiel) 20010 posts/Up to 401 pages.
Summer 2011(2)--(Hitokage) 11573 posts/Up to 232 pages.

Fall 2011--(Dresden) 19977 posts/Up to 400 pages.
Fall 2011(2)--(Dresden) 5390 posts/Up to 108 pages.

Winter 2012--(Mandoric) 20003 posts/Up to 401 pages.
Winter 2012(2)--(Haly) 19949 posts/Up to 399 pages.

Spring 2012--(Miizy F Baby) 20002 posts/Up to 401 pages.
Spring 2012(2)--(duckroll) 20010 posts/Up to 401 pages.
Spring 2012(3)--(hosannainexcelsis) 17092 posts/Up to 342 pages.

Summer 2012--(cosmicblizzard) 20056 posts/Up to 402 pages.
Summer 2012(2)--(dakkumauji) 20047 posts/Up to 401 pages.
Summer 2012(3)--(Branduil) 17017 posts/Up to 341 pages.

Fall 2012--(Dresden) 20098 posts/Up to 402 pages.
Fall 2012(2)--(Kayos90) 20148 posts/Up to 403 pages.
Fall 2012(3)--(Dresden) 20000 posts/Up to 400 pages.

Fall of 2012(4)/Winter 2013--(Dresden) 19901 posts/ Up to 399 pages
Winter 2013(2)--(Kayos90) 20001 posts/ Up to 401 pages
Winter 2013(3)--(duckroll) 19707 posts/ Up to 395 pages

Spring 2013--(Brazil) 19703 posts/ Up to 395 pages
Spring 2013(2)--(Kayos90) 20001 posts/ Up to 401 pages
Spring 2013(3)--(Dresden) 20023 posts/ Up to 401 pages

Summer 2013--(Mandoric) 19772 posts/ Up to 396 pages
Summer 2013(2)--(madp) 19989 posts/ Up to 400 pages
Summer 2013(3)--(FelixOrion) 8148 posts/ Up to 163 pages

Fall 2013--(duckroll) 19953 posts/ Up to 400 pages
Fall 2013(2)--(hosannainexcelsis) -- posts/ Up to -- pages

LordCanti

Kyousougiga 07

Is it just me, or is
the priest/old myoue/Koto's papa/Koto's husbando
the villain? Anti-hero, in any case.

I liked this episode a lot, even if I'm not quite sure what was going on
why was there a...uhh..portal? Inside the robot? For that matter, why didn't Kurama escape through there himself?
but it was a great episode nonetheless. I like that the
Priest just shows up as if "Yeah, I could have shown up at any time. Sorry about those years and years of waiting.

mhs004

My other Right Stuf shipment came in today.

BaRP1ASIgAA6K3p.jpg

Saiyuki and Vandread were part of the sale so it was pretty cheap to take a flyer on.

What's Saiyuki like? It looks interesting.

Owwari

Banned
Strike the Blood 9

Episode filled with Asagi goodness. Everyone aboard the train!!!
I'm liking this show more and more every time I watch it, partly because the haremettes are actually hot and interesting at the same time.

Nafe

I also went and updated the Anime OT list I made with the past couple of seasons included. I might have missed some as I'm not aware of what all the different shows were to get an OT this season or maybe a more recent movie got an OT or something , so I just tried to put down the ones I could think of.

---

Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagann OT
School Days OT (Show originally aired in 2007 but OT was created in 2013)

K-On! OT (Show originally aired in 2009 but OT was created in 2012)
K-On!! OT (K-On! OT2)

Demon Maiden Zakuro(Otome Yokai Zakuro) OT
OreImo OT
Panty & Stocking OT

Winter
Is this a Zombie?(Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka?) OT
Wandering Son(Hourou Musuko) OT
Madoka Magica OT

Spring
Deadman Wonderland OT
Dog Days OT
Toriko OT
Hanasaku Iroha OT
Steins;Gate OT

Summer
Mawaru Penguindrum OT
The Idolm@ster TV OT

Fall
Fate/Zero OT
Fairy Tail OT
Future Diary(Mirai Nikki) OT
New Hunter x Hunter OT
Persona 4: The Animation OT
Sket Dance OT

Spring
Eureka Seven Astral Ocean OT
Hyouka OT
Kids on the Slope(Sakamichi no Apollon) OT
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine OT
Saint Seiya Omega OT
Space Brothers OT
Tsuritama OT
Zetman OT

Fall
From the New World(Shin Sekai Yori) OT
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OT (2012 Show)
Little Busters! OT
Psycho-Pass OT
Sword Art Online OT

Winter
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OT (Series Community Thread)

Spring
Attack on Titan(Shingeki no Kyoujin) OT
Date A Live OT
Devil Survivor 2 The Animation OT
The Flowers of Evil(Aku no Hana) OT
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet OT
Majestic Prince OT
OreImo Season 2 OT
Valvrave the Liberator OT

Summer
Free! OT
Gatchaman Crowds OT
Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen OT
The Eccentric Family (Uchoten Kazoku) OT

Fall
Gundam Build Fighters OT
Galilei Donna OT
Kill la Kill OT
Kyousogiga TV OT

Specials

Little Witch Academia OT

Movies

Angel's Egg(Tenshi no Tamago) OT
Evangelion 3.0 OT (Careful, may contain spoilers)
Hells Angels OT
Wolf Children Ame and Yuki(Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki) OT
Resident Evil Damnation OT
Studio Ghibli Film OT

CorvoSol

I think it's assumed everyone knows the Kouji side of things hence all this focus on the supporting cast and antagonists.

Right, that's something I'd figured: since this isn't the actual first show, it focuses more on other characters because the viewers are meant to have an understanding of the main cast already.

Hey y'all, I haven't watched much new anime in the past year. Can I have some recommendations? I'm looking for good plot and character development. Not so much the So-Bad-It's-Good or really over the top. Although those would be nice to know about. Something 'grounded'.

Narag

Right, that's something I'd figured: since this isn't the actual first show, it focuses more on other characters because the viewers are meant to have an understanding of the main cast already.

If/when you watch Mazinkaiser, you'll appreciate this decision more.

Hey y'all, I haven't watched much new anime in the past year. Can I have some recommendations? I'm looking for good plot and character development. Not so much the So-Bad-It's-Good or really over the top. Although those would be nice to know about. Something 'grounded'.

The Eccentric Family

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Aku no Hana, Uchouten Kazoku, and Kyousougiga are your three go-to shows this year if you want high-quality entertainment that's mature and thoughtful. Be sure to watch Wolf Children if you haven't seen it yet, too!

Strike the Blood 9

Maid Asagi showing how best girls do their work.

Sayaka going Tsundere~ over the phone is always nice.

Debut of new girl was okay. Though, I didn't really care for her until she called Kojou Onii-san.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Galilei Donna 8

"Galileo's next horcrux is located here because ninjas." Another brilliant deduction.

A whole episode frittered away on totally irrelevant background for the paternal side of the Ferrari family and the adulation of glorious Japanese culture. At least the asspull came at the beginning of the episode instead of the end this week!

jbug617

Banned
What's Saiyuki like? It looks interesting.

I really don't know much. The description on the page sounded good so I took a $15 chance.

Once, demons and man lived together in harmony. But when a band of rogue demonic forces sought to resurrect a diabolical monster, dark spiritual energy began to cover the land - and the demons decided mankind was no longer friend, but food. Now, it's up to a renegade priest, a monkey king, a lecherous water sprite, and a sympathetic demon to stop the resurrection and return harmony to the dangerous land.

Enter the world of Saiyuki! A unique universe of beauty and betrayal, where sacred scrolls battle enchanted weaponry and where dragons can transform into jeeps. A land of magic and menace, where four reluctant heroes are just as concerned about having a good time, a stiff drink, and a beautiful woman as they are about saving the world?

Syrinx

Kill la Kill 9

I enjoyed the fight scene and am looking forward to the next three. But I'm still waiting for that that really signature moment for this series. Seems like we've been doing these speculations, serious and kidding, about where this series is going since the beginning, and I'm still waiting for some payoff in that regard. And as much as Ryuko's been droning on and on about how she wants to learn about her father's death, there really haven't been many scenes at all trying to give some backstory to her and her father. I don't know what Imaishi has in mind for the revelation, but the show hasn't really convinced me that I should care all that much.

All this said, I've enjoyed watching just about every episode and will continue to watch it.

As if to coincide with my viewing, the newest DC Movie was unveiled today: Detective Conan: Ijigen no Sniper.
detective-conan-1.jpg

Pretty excited about another movie that has centric plot ties, as The Raven Chaser ended up being my favorite of the bunch. Looking forward to it.

Oh wow. That's a great looking poster, and them doing a movie tied to the plot could be pretty cool. Anything with Akai and Sera is a plus for me.

cnet128

Banned
Golden Time 9

Congrats, Banri. You've officially levelled-up
from an amnesiac to a split-personality man
. Now you can
betray BOTH your lovers' trust
!

Honestly, I'm not too bothered by this turn of events.
Significantly less interesting than amnesiac-Banri though he might be, ghost-Banri doesn't deserve to be pushed aside forever. He deserves his chance at...well, existing.
That said, I have no idea how they're ever going to resolve
the fact that Banri now has two separate and equally valid personalities that are each deeply in love with a different girl
. I just know that in the short term, it's going to cause DRAMA. And boy, it sure couldn't have happened at a worse time,
just when Kouko is feeling super-insecure about Banri's feelings for her

...Inbefore
ghost Banri does something stupid and makes it look like he's being unfaithful to Kouko without ever explaining his whole split-personality deal to anyone
. Actually, if he does that, it will solve this dilemma because
that would be so assy it would give me excellent grounds to say "fuck you ghost Banri, you don't deserve to be with Linda".

Muv Luv total eclispe alternative ( or something like that ) - 06

This episode take place in the west indies , guadeloupe !!

I think that the production team went there to take some pictures because , well i think i know exactly where they went.

Same for the island, if they went for a big island near guadeloupe by boat only 1 fits , but then the geography doesn't match ..i guess they took liberties then.

Our heroines hurt herself in a very stupid way and or hero must act ...i guess i shouldn't be surprised by the first cave event but i guess i was surprised by the second one.

We do have some very mean tempest that fly above the west indies but i think that one big enough ( like that would have been seen days before ) knowing that they still did their little competition with the boats ? WTF .

Oh my god yes.
Especially if you like Vandread!

I too picked up Vandread during RightStuf's sale, but it won't probably be in until Monday.

In terms of Nadesico, should I watch the sub or dub? I am not sure if I could handle listening to another Shinji or Rolo if it comes down to watching the dub.

Strike the blood - 09
Asagi scored a lot of points ... i like girls that actually act .

And for some reason now there are EVEN MORE similar points with toaru majustsu no index than before.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
SamFlam 8

Honestly, I still feel like this is being handled pretty well. It has noticeably backpedaled from last week's shocking darkness, but did anyone honestly want to see SamFlam go full grimdark? I don't think that the new circumstances particularly necessitate any major shift in tone. I can accept
the Gorilla Guillotine incident as an efficient method for getting both the audience and the characters to quickly accept that, yes, what is happening is probably real

I really have to praise this episode for how well it skewers the mundane, underachieving, incredibly roundabout evil plots of a lot of toku/magical girl villains. Someone who's not familiar with how these shows typically work might wonder why King Torture's minions are trying to spread terror by drugging people into gossiping or creating apple shortages, but this sort of thing is completely typical. Because these shows often structure episodes around extolling a particular virtue, villains are unfamiliar with human values and try to exploit any weaknesses or contradictions that they observe in laughably simplistic or naive ways. MotW battles are, on some level, symbolic clashes between idealistic and cynical perspectives on a given topic, always ending in the defeat of the antagonist after the heroes are able to affirm their ideals. SamFlam originally turned this pattern on its head by making Masayoshi's idealism a joke, but it's so much better now that there are antagonists whose low-aiming malevolence matches Masayoshi's well-intentioned buffoonery. It's all seriously great.

Detective Conan: Private Eye in the Distant Sea (Movie 17)

Another year, another Detective Conan movie. I think I'd put this one a small step above Eleventh Striker, but not near some of the best DC movies. The beginning was a bit slow and featured an unusually long setup. Typically, the beginning is where we're occupied with red herrings, false resolutions, and a slew of cast members whom we're supposed to suspect. However, this time we had Conan witnessing an array of unusual behavior and inexplicably being suspicious despite there not being a reason for it. Thankfully, the latter half has some reasonable pay offs and better pacing filled with above average animation.

The setting of the JMSDF Aegis Destroyer was unique, but not welcome considering the wealth of CG that was brought with it. Bad CG. Something I've come to expect from these movies. The mystery was ultimately (needlessly) convoluted with very little pay off. Though the set pieces and confrontations were probably the high point. A very unique fight scene involving Ran and the Culprit was the definite highlight of the film. Unfortunately, the film did just enough to stay entertaining, but not enough to make it memorable. Just another fun one to watch with friends.

As if to coincide with my viewing, the newest DC Movie was unveiled today: Detective Conan: Ijigen no Sniper.
detective-conan-1.jpg

Pretty excited about another movie that has centric plot ties, as The Raven Chaser ended up being my favorite of the bunch. Looking forward to it.

i needa catch up on the manga D:

MUv Luv alternative - total eclipse - 07

Stranded in a cave , blocked by a typhoon and the action was hot hot hot , what tension in the air !!

Tsundere Hime was just a nice after touch.

Theonik

Dracula: Emperor of Darkness
iSSuzCzlIl2lD.png

That baller collar.
This was just amazing. I could hardly even breathe at points.
Synopsis said:
The bloodthirsty Dracula has fled his castle in Transylvania and arrived in Boston, where he steals the would-be bride of Satan from an evil cult. However, he's instantly stricken with love and is unable to kill her, ultimately producing a son, Janus. Now, Dracula has a number of beings after his life including Drake, a human ancestor of Dracula; a pair of vampire hunters who're out for revenge; and even Satan himself. Will the tragic Dracula live to suck blood another day, or leave his son fatherless?
I mean come on. How can you resist this synopsis. This anime literally sells itself. It's not on the list for no reason!
From an amazing dub, to animation mistakes galore, to some of the worst location research I've ever seen from an anime (seriously that's 80s Boston?), to some terrible writing and utterly bizarre choices, it's a wonder Toei even managed to release this gem into the world.
Oh did I also mention it's meant to be a prequel to Blade? Yes.
Seriously watch this and die of laughter.
Also not directly related but did Corvo skip this and jump straight into Arjuna? Don't remember reading his impressions.

Soma

I also went and updated the Anime OT list I made with the past couple of seasons included. I might have missed some as I'm not aware of what all the different shows were to get an OT this season or maybe a more recent movie got an OT or something , so I just tried to put down the ones I could think of.

You could add my (kinda dead) Kyousogiga OT to that list

LEAVE DRACULA ALONE!

Jesus, it's like everyone just wants him dead, even when he's not being History's Greatest Monster!
FUCKING GOD BROUGHT BACK HIS SON JUST TO KILL HIM!

Can't get over Dracula eating a burger and stating that a certain someone's holy powers "WAS AWESOME!"

Terrible Writing can sometimes bring in joy in just how people act, and this is one of those.

Mature

Oh wow. That's a great looking poster, and them doing a movie tied to the plot could be pretty cool. Anything with Akai and Sera is a plus for me.
I think you'd have a lot of fun with The Raven Chaser. The movies aren't necessarily canonical, but it manages to still remain interesting while have The Black Organization be at the forefront. This new movie's story seems like it would have to be consequential in some way to the plot or it's characters, but we'll see. Maybe Aoyama will inject a bit of the main story's DNA into it.

Syrinx

Samurai Flamenco 8

After the events of last week, I was anxious to see what would happen next. For now, I have to say, I'm actually quite satisfied. This episode was very entertaining. Awesome to see Diamond, Ruby, and Sapphire involved now. And Samumenco's arsenal growing ever more powerful. And I love Torture's villains so far.

Both scenes at the end, pre and post ED, leave me more intrigued. Crunchyroll's subs didn't make it clear who was texting Goro there at the end, but I assume it was Master dude. Interesting text. Right now I think he thinks Hazama has sort of become like Mari in that he seems to be enjoying fighting these guys more than he's interested in protecting the people and maintaining peace. And then Torture King at the end saying that all of his actions are a part of his plan. For now, I'll subscribe to the popular theory that this is the work of the guy harassing Hazama's boss lady.

Theonik

LEAVE DRACULA ALONE!

Jesus, it's like everyone just wants him dead, even when he's not being History's Greatest Monster!
FUCKING GOD BROUGHT BACK HIS SON JUST TO KILL HIM!

Can't get over Dracula eating a burger and stating that a certain someone's holy powers "WAS AWESOME!"

Terrible Writing can sometimes bring in joy in just how people act, and this is one of those.
Greatest love story ever told.

Muv-luv alternative - 08

THE GOOD :
-Our 2 japanese characters are getting along
-Even in a war with the humanity survival at stake, there are still people that are doing some stupid political moves.
-The bunch of idiots have checked a bunch points leading to a bad ending.

THE BAD :
-Racism and attempted rape is NOT GOOD.
-Coincidence, a big assault by the BETAs ! Is that a plot device i'm seeing ?
-I guess that since the BETA came , USSR is still in place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom