• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hirugash no Naku Koro ni Kai - 20

Things are progressing quickly it seems.

I'm surprised past dramas aren't being referenced here anymore. Shion wasn't in the main group at school nor at Rika's explanation (kind of ticked me off considering she died as part of the main group in the previous arc...). Satako's uncle seems to have disappeared? Festival is approaching and there's no sign of him.

Manly Akasaka finally being here is a good thing (bringing him in last arc only to send him away to some hot springs was a dumb idea, but whatevs) and Rika trying to set up the game pieces is very interesting to watch as she persuades Irie, Tomitake, and Oishi to her cause.

And finally, I'm surprised no one questioned Hanyu's horns... oh well animu logic, what you gonna do?

Oh and I demand Rena to
kill atleast one person
with her machete in this arc!

Macross Frontier 1-6 Impressions

I like the mech concept. Main character needs to cut his hair.

And this has turned into choosing between best girl and a pedo's wet dream. I hope he goes for best girl.

Yozakura Quartet - 2

Let the completely superfluous panty shots begin!

I see what people mean about the fanservice getting in the way of the show. It really does. It straight up bothered me throughout this episode.

Still a really fun watch, though.

Pooya

Free was a lot better than the other two. I'd say better than Tamako too.

I was enjoying Free.... until the drama drama drama, which didn't make any sense whatsoever. Maybe it's not worse than chuu2 in that sense, it's as bad but knk is easily better though, knk has a PLOT, as terrible as it might be there is something at least and it looks and sounds far better than the other two. Free and Chuu2 have nothing going for them. There isn't anything about them that I can mention as an standout feature, nothing.
There are 3 episodes of knk left, maybe it goes to the bottom until then, you never know!

Tamako is the best because of episode 9 which is probably my fave episode of the year still! it's that good.

duckroll

Tamako Market isn't getting a movie. They already previously announced that there would be a new project coming. They were just talking about the new project, which appears to be an OVA of some sort, but they said that it's going to be "like a movie" in terms of improved quality or whatever.

Jex

Yamato 2199 16

Wouldn't you need a whole fleet of warp-capable ships to move the remaining human population? I didn't get the sense that Earth had that kind of construction ability.

That's quite a tone shift between the tense mutiny and the goofy monster chase scene on the surface.

Sweet huracanrana from Akira! That's definitely deserving of some applause.

The end of the mutiny was kind of pathetic. They got Die Harded a little and just fell apart.
Just keep riding that train ship!
They don't want to.

This might have to end up in the OP of every anime thread at some point.

"Not now, probably not ever. Try to move on with your lives."

The report is that there'll be both a season 2 and a movie in store for Tamako Market.

Will watch.

About to start the OVAs now actually. Also, yes back then Season 2 wasn't part of the deal (it wasn't out yet) although the comments on Season 2 are getting me curious on what goes on now.

Eh. I enjoyed Season 2.
The Season 2 OVAs however....

Edit:
Tamako Market isn't getting a movie. They already previously announced that there would be a new project coming. They were just talking about the new project, which appears to be an OVA of some sort, but they said that it's going to be "like a movie" in terms of improved quality or whatever.

Oh...

Jex

In Setsuna's defense (wow, where am I in life that I'm defending Setsuna Fucking-hate-this-guy Seiei?), Tieria is saying the name of a computer system. At least Gundams have bodies.

There's nothing wrong with ol' Setsuna F Gundam. One of the silliest protagonists to appear completely serious.

They don't want to.

tumblr_mc1055D9cQ1rn95k2o1_500.gif

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - 21

Things are getting exciting, shit is going down!

I have to say I took great pleasure in seeing Miyo's operation getting taken down by multiple fronts. This show did a great job over the ~40ish episodes of getting me attached to the main group and Hinamizawa where before I regarded Hinamizawa as a freak village that needed to be wiped out.

Next episode previews that the struggles are going to happen now. Really hope Tomitake and Irie come out of this alive.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I was enjoying Free.... until the drama drama drama, which didn't make any sense whatsoever. Maybe it's not worse than chuu2 in that sense, it's as bad but knk is easily better though, knk has a PLOT, as terrible as it might be there is something at least and it looks and sounds far better than the other two. Free and Chuu2 have nothing going for them. There isn't anything about them that I can mention as an standout feature, nothing.
There are 3 episodes of knk left, maybe it goes to the bottom until then, you never know!

Tamako is the best because of episode 9 which is probably my fave episode of the year still! it's that good.

Four episodes, actually. It's 13 eps.

jgminto

Upper body.

Also Rei. Because Rei is awesome. Nobody was awesome in what I watched of KnK.

duckroll

Now, is this a "you should watch it simply because they're skipping over it" or a "you should watch it otherwise you're going to be confused as fuck with the next episode" type of comment?

You don't really miss that much if you skip it, but you'll be missing a good time. The OAD covers Zakuro's attack on the town as well as Rin's back story. Lots of awesome action too.

cajunator

Banned

I interpret it like a dangling carrot that I shall never reach :(

He didn't say it wasn't.

welcome back my friend to the show that never ends

Yes I kept up after Free! I dropped Prism Illya tho... and Fantasista Doll.

I hope precure makes a return. Happiness Charge looks iconic and I have only seen the title image. I'm not feeling DokiDoki at all.

EdIT: OMG I missed the 3rd Madoka movie? I've been waiting forever for the new story ;_;

Ive missed all three. Apparently only movie #3 is worth seeing for new content, and some would say it still isnt.

DiGiKerot

Hmmmm. All right. Noted. If they're retellings then I guess watching the movies instead might be best.

Just to be a voice of dissent, I think the movies are considerably more effective if you've got the TV show behind you, even if they are essentially retelling. They get pretty divergent in places, but reference and play with expectations set by having knowledge of the TV version - they're coming from a very knowing place.

(Plus I kinda like the TV show and think it's probably worth watching for the music alone)

cnet128

Banned
Yusibu 9
Fino was really cute in this episode, much more than usual.

AND HOW.

But...she's already super cute in every episode. how much cuter can she be?

You'd be surprised.

Masterfully executed.

Takemoto just finished speaking, let slip talk of a Tamako film
https://twitter.com/katsube/status/406615794110709760

AWW YISS

The report is that there'll be both a season 2 and a movie in store for Tamako Market.

THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT I LIKE TO HEAR

Hunter x Hunter:

How different is the chimera ant arc in the new anime from the manga?

In the anime...it's animated. Nicely. And thus more engaging.

That's basically the only real difference.

Bakemonogatari 1-12

Faaaaaaantastic. Now where do I watch the last 3 episodes?

Seek them out through whatever means necessary.

lol

So onto Nisemonogatari it is.

If by this you mean you're going to skip the final episodes of Bake, I would strongly advise you to reconsider. The events of those episodes are pretty important and get referenced repeatedly over the remainder of the series. I can think of numerous major plot points that rely heavily on knowledge of those episodes.

As it turns out they got tricky with the kanji for this -- 中二病でも恋がしたい!戀, with the final kanji also meaning love but in this case using the alternate reading "ren", probably to avoid how silly it would be having two "koi"s in the title.

Archaic kanjis make me sexually excited. Mmmmmm.

I don't know if this was known already but Chuu22 is a Winter show,not Spring, and airing in early January.

WINTER SEASON SAVED

Awwwww...

On reflection, an OVA that's "like a movie" is actually better than a real movie because we don't have to wait months to see it!

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - 22

Shit's happening! fkagkjdagkdglskg

There's only one way to describe this episode: manly Akasaka

FINALLY
I figure out what the heck happened to Satoshi in next episode. Shion breaking-fourth-walls in saying that she wasn't informed of anything was funny and having Kasai involved is great too.

This show knows how to use its side characters and still have them relevant in the climax.

Theonik

HELL FUCKING YES!!!!!

The Laws of Eternity

I'm honestly not sure this belongs on the "list", as anything that has Demon Hitler unleashing a behemoth on people as Demon Nietzsche was unable to brainwash them into becoming denizens of hell is legitimately amazing.
If anything, that kind of amazing is EXACTLY what the list is about.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - 23

Satako's traps OP, plz nerf.

Shion meeting Sataoshi in his comatose state hit the feels. But more importantly I really enjoy how the main group dispatches trained professionals with assault weapons via guerilla warfare.

Time for the last episode and see how it all ends!

Vito

Banned
drop on yande.re is delivering this month's batch of megami and nyantype pinups

Makise is getting boring but here's a link anyhow, click on drop's username for the rest of the stuff.

cajunator

Banned
Strike Witches 01

Been a rough and busy few days. not much time to watch anything. Anyway I finally started the show. Nobody wears the pants in this anime heehee.
Seems like a show absolutely perfect for Zach, with ample fun, and butts and fuwa fuwa for sheer audacious hell of it. My kind of show. Surprised to see hand drawn cars, but there plenty of CG ships and set pieces to offset it. Too early to rank witches yet, though Sanya is the cutest one imo.

Theonik

Strike Witches 01

Been a rough and busy few days. not much time to watch anything. Anyway I finally started the show. Nobody wears the pants in this anime heehee.
Seems like a show absolutely perfect for Zach, with ample fun, and butts and fuwa fuwa for sheer audacious hell of it. My kind of show. Surprised to see hand drawn cars, but there plenty of CG ships and set pieces to offset it. Too early to rank witches yet, though Sanya is the cutest one imo.
*fuwa fuwa intensifies*

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - 24

And so the CSI-themed, murder-mystery, psychological horror anime known as Higurashi no Naku Koro ni ends.

As for this last episode I'm disappoint that Rena
didn't pull out the machete and start killing peoples.
Though I am pleased that Hanyu,
being a god and all that
, doesn't disappear in the end as it was much of her struggle as it was Rika's.

As for the ending of the episode, not sure what they wanted to go with there except show an adult version of Rika?

Anyways, will post series review soon when I've the chance!

Jintor

drop on yande.re is delivering this month's batch of megami and nyantype pinups

Makise is getting boring but here's a link anyhow, click on drop's username for the rest of the stuff.

LEWD
LEWD
NOT LEWD ENOUGH
Cute!
CORRECT LEVEL OF KIND OF NOT-LEWD
???

Hunter x Hunter:

How different is the chimera ant arc in the new anime from the manga?

Anime took some liberties at the start and made it better , then they followed the manga and animated it .

Pacing is awesome and the voice work is superb.
I can only praise what madhouse had done with it so far.

cnet128

Banned
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - 24

And so the CSI-themed, murder-mystery, psychological horror anime known as Higurashi no Naku Koro ni ends.

As for this last episode I'm disappoint that Rena
didn't pull out the machete and start killing peoples.
Though I am pleased that Hanyu,
being a god and all that
, doesn't disappear in the end as it was much of her struggle as it was Rika's.

As for the ending of the episode, not sure what they wanted to go with there except show an adult version of Rika?

Anyways, will post series review soon when I've the chance!

Congrats on finishing the show and I'm glad you liked it! Though it's by no means necessary, I'd recommend following it up with Higurashi Rei, which provides a satisfying epilogue that helps expand on Rika and Hanyuu a little, as well as a couple episodes of hilarious antics.

NeonZ

It was basically a tease for the author's next story (Umineko), although the anime kind of messed up the tease (and the Umineko anime itself ended up pretty bad too).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is but a sign of our weakness.

A wise man's words. said:
I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom