• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamato 2199

I didn't like it. Bad main characters, and only a few kind of interesting characters in the side of the bad guys. Terrible combat sequences and narrative, where you don't feel they are winning because they deserve it but because the writer says so. Story doesn't really go anywhere special, and the writing is lacking in a mediocre way.

But good visuals. The backgrounds, the ship designs are great (well, except the Yamato), lots of lovely shots here and there, a good attention to detail in special effects and mechanical designs and other stuff. I was tempted to make several screenshots, but Jexhius already provided.

cnet128

Banned
Only the best girl was visible i believe (Lisbeth)

Are you suuuuuure?

ibemTSL5E5rol0.jpg

After going through the entire manga just recently I can say that the staff have made the anime so much better by lengthening chapters and/or adding their own creative direction to the show. It's befitting to have such an awesome adaptation for such a wonderful author like Ume-sensei.

only the best for Hidamari.

1385852091178s9cia.png

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Log Horizon 9

Yup. This show still dilates time as far as I'm concerned. I'm really curious to see how things turn out with people who aren't down with the program. My believe is that though Shiroe has legs, he rolls through that world on giant titanium testicles. This is a story of who gets to ride on his balls versus who's crushed by them and I thoroughly plan on enjoying it. I can already tell I'm going to have to re-watch this series to get more nuance out of it but I'm seriously enjoying its current pacing and hope it keeps it up.

jman2050

Monogatari SS 22 (Koi 2)

So yeah, Kaiki pretty much owns. Best narrator for sure.
Holy yandere batman, Nadeko's lost it and then some. That whole shrine scene was unsettling and yet somehow endearing in so many different ways.

Quasar

Log Horizon 9 - Nicely done Shiroe.
Never considered the bank situation before that.
And yeah interesting the point of Shiroe setting himself up as a villainous despot. I wonder how much his nickname prior of 'villain with glasses' was taken seriously

Midonin

Doki Doki! Precure 42

So Aguri has
been having dreams about King Selfish and the Queen's battle
. So if it wasn't Ai and the Queen is trapped in a crystal, than what exactly is Aguri's relationship to her? Mana's mom also revealed this week that she was adopted. I thought her character had been fairly well defined, so this introduce some new twists fairly late in the game. Doki Doki's been kind of vague on everyone's relationships so far. One always clear one was Makopi and the Queen. That flashback of her saying that the Queen's been like a mom to her was downright heartwarming.

Otherwise, it was a surprise birthday party episode. I've seen plenty of these. Sebastian moment was nice, I'll say. Sebastian makes anything better. Regina's shell is taking some time to break, but it's forming a decent plotline for the show's endgame. And this plotline will be carrying over into next week. Huh.

I still want a Rikka episode before the end.

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi ♯ 08
iba3AE9EpTvN8z.png

Backgrounds that look like a 5 year old drew them with coloured pencil. Sasuga Toei.
Huh? Another awesome episode in a row. What's happening here. We are not worthy.
This week we get
time travel
the scene with Onpu and her mom at the end was sooogooood. Though I am starting to feel like they are overusing Onpu's song.
Also I've probably said this before but the Sharp transformation music still brings a smile to my face *clap* *clap* Magical Stage on the other hand is inferior.
Finally Doremi gets it.

Umineko is actually a great series with some amazing twists, surprisingly hardcore mystery aspects, and genius-level mindfuckery. Well worth checking out if you have the means. It's just a shame about the anime adaptation.

EDIT:

To elaborate a little, I think what happened is, people criticised Higurashi for "cheating" in its mystery by
including supernatural elements, and having the solution involve a fictitious disease that exists to serve the plot
. (For what it's worth, personally I don't think those elements hurt Higurashi, but I'm pretty sure they brought a fair amount of criticism upon it.)

Then Ryukishi's response to that criticism was Umineko, in which he:

• tells a 100% super-hardcore mystery story (so hardcore that most of the solutions, including the identity of the ultimate "culprit", are never explicitly given, though the reader is provided with more than enough clues to work it all out and strongly encouraged to do so)
  • at the same time ALSO tells a
    supernatural story
    without affecting the integrity of the mystery (while intertwining the two so tightly as to confuse the heck out of everyone in the best possible way)
  • turns the entire thing into an examination of the true nature of mysteries and what it means to solve them

It's nothing if not ambitious, and I think it's really well done.

Of course, it's that very ambitious and elaborate nature that makes it such a bitch to adapt, and I'm not surprised the anime adaptation ended in failure =/

Sounds like something I have to play the VN for instead of watching the anime, which is a shame as I like adaptation formats better due to the fact it's not abusing my interest in the story and forces me through repetitive content IE multiple playthroughs. Hell I still haven't finished the last arc of F/SN because I got bored.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi ♯ 08

Backgrounds that look like a 5 year old drew them with coloured pencil. Sasuga Toei.
Probably intentional to provide that nostalgic childhood feeling!

Also I've probably said this before but the Sharp transformation music still brings a smile to my face *clap* *clap* Magical Stage on the other hand is inferior.
True, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Sounds like something I have to play the VN for instead of watching the anime, which is a shame as I like adaptation formats better due to the fact it's not abusing my interest in the story and forces me through repetitive content IE multiple playthroughs. Hell I still haven't finished the last arc of F/SN because I got bored.

Vn is really the way to go, the only thing you need to know is that the first episode ( first game ) take his time to set-up all the necessary events. And aside from the awesome soundtrack and atmosphere , you'll be challenged only once the second game starts.
( but when it starts , it really starts )

Doki Doki! Precure 42

So Aguri has
been having dreams about King Selfish and the Queen's battle
. So if it wasn't Ai and the Queen is trapped in a crystal, than what exactly is Aguri's relationship to her?
Mana's mom also revealed this week that she was adopted.
I thought her character had been fairly well defined, so this introduce some new twists fairly late in the game. Doki Doki's been kind of vague on everyone's relationships so far. One always clear one was Makopi and the Queen. That flashback of her saying that the Queen's been like a mom to her was downright heartwarming.

Otherwise, it was a surprise birthday party episode. I've seen plenty of these. Sebastian moment was nice, I'll say. Sebastian makes anything better. Regina's shell is taking some time to break, but it's forming a decent plotline for the show's endgame. And this plotline will be carrying over into next week. Huh.

I still want a Rikka episode before the end.

This is referring to Aguri being adopted right? right? Before I even jump the gun here...

Well, Umineko requires no multiple playthroughs because it has no choices and thus no branching paths.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
White Album 2 - 9

I'm sorry people but it just can't go any other way:
Haruki is going to bang Touma's mother in the next episode. That's just how it's gotta be.

Ojamajo Doremi ♯ 08

Though I am starting to feel like they are overusing Onpu's song.
Finally Doremi gets it.

Chicchana te no hira ha
Nemofura no hana
Pukkuri hoppeta ha
Erika no tsubomi

Get used to it. I think motto witch transformation is good too,
but they don't use it *sigh*
. Magical Stage will be good again...in the last season.

Syrinx

Get used to it. I think motto witch transformation is good too,
but they don't use it *sigh*
. Magical Stage will be good again...in the last season.

It was always that lame
"switch from our patissiere uniforms to watch apprentice uniforms"
theme.

It was always that lame
"switch from our patissiere uniforms to watch apprentice uniforms"
theme.

Yes, yes, That's my problem with motto.
Even if the patissiere transformation use the same music, they never change directly into either of them, they always use the lame switch between witch/patissiere.

Pocket Monsters 38

2EDSXSml.jpg

So here's the infamous episode of Pokemon that caused it to go off the air for 4 or so months. And yep, I can totally see why.

The episode's your standard here's the Pokemon of the day, but with the cyberworld setting, they go a little overboard with the flashing lights all over the place. It is a little disappointing that this basically doomed Porygon and all of its evolution from ever appearing in the anime again since it would have been interesting to see them again.

It was also cool to see old school Pokemon, since the anime back then looks a lot different from how it looks now.

Picking up where I left off with Hidamari so I can watch the graduation special...

Hidamari Sketch x SP

RhEhx0v.jpg

The principal is a cool guy.

A nice collection of four stories, pretty well directed and well animated for Shaft. I especially enjoyed the variety in setting, which this series lacks at times. The first episode is actually storyboarded by Yoshiaki Ito, the character designer/chief AD of the franchise. It appears to be the only thing Ito has storyboarded, which is a shame since to judge by this he's one of the better people at using Shaft/Shinbo style smartly. The eyecatches were well integrated into the flow too.

My favorite half-episode was the museum, as I always enjoy seeing the crew do the art stuff that's supposed to be their specialty and it had an amusing take on modern art. My least favorite was the curtain cleaning; I wasn't fond of the spoken sound effects.

Articalys

Studio and staff revealed for the Gokukoku no Brynhildr anime coming next April:

Director: Kenichi Imaizumi
Series Composition: Yukinori Kitajima
Character Design: Hiroaki Tori
Animation Production: ARMS (who, coincidentally enough, also were the studio for Elfen Lied, Okamoto's previous adapted series almost ten years ago)

Is there such a thing as too much hype for Space Dandy? I feel like I'm going to be disappointed if I keep being this hyped for it. Just like with some people and Kill La Kill

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi ♯ 09
A third one? The fuck is going on here. #can'tcope
But yeah another great episode in a row. This time bring them Majo Rika moments forth. Great faces as always too, and I was very amused by Dera realising the wonders of the free market.
And let's not forget the clumsy moe and ara aras.

I was going to mention it last episode too, but I still find Magical stage to be hugely inconsistent as is the magic on this show
time travel seems OP for what usually can do, similarly this episode they use it for a thing that is well bellow a single one's power seemingly.
Preview seems delicious.

Ojamajo Doremi ♯ 09

A third one? The fuck is going on here. #can'tcope
But yeah another great episode in a row. This time bring them Majo Rika forth. Great faces as always too, and I was very amused by Dera realising the wonders of the free market.
And let's not forget the clumsy moe and ara aras.

I was going to mention it last episode too, but I still find Magical stage to be hugely inconsistent as is the magic on this show
time travel seems OP for what usually can do, similarly this episode they use it for a thing that is well bellow a single one's power seemingly.
Preview seems delicious.

What if I said I'm listening to the Piano version right now?
I should have appreciated Majo Rika more when I was watching the anime, she's awesome.
Next episode is fun.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi ♯ 09

Preview seems delicious.
I think it's more that individual magic is a more direct action, while a Magical Stage is its own entity that the witches ask to help them. It's more akin to a prayer.

Syrinx

What if I said I'm listening to the Piano version right now?
I should have appreciated Majo Rika more when I was watching the anime, she's awesome.
Next episode is fun.

One of my favorite moments from Motto! was when
Oyajide played that lullaby on the piano for Hana-chan at the kindergarten.
I don't know why, it's just stuck itself in my head.

cnet128

Banned
Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono 9

Theatre club episode!

Aaaaaand yeah, bitches be breaking the fourth (studio) wall again. Talking very knowingly about the terrors of ad-libbing. And then re-enacting their own ad-libbed lines in deliberately scripted-sounding fashion. Yeeeeahhhhhh.

This show am fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom