• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

I think it's more that individual magic is a more direct action, while a Magical Stage is its own entity that the witches ask to help them. It's more akin to a prayer.
But at the start of the first series it was introduced as a way to combine their powers and to get +1 magic level. Since then its powers have fluctuated drastically as well as its concept.
(IE you may well be right but this doesn't make it consistent)

I should have appreciated Majo Rika more when I was watching the anime, she's awesome.
I'm surprised Rika's always been awesome.
Next episode is tomorrow. Hopefully. My dark busy schedule is looming menacing once more...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
But at the start of the first series it was introduced as a way to combine their powers and to get +1 magic level. Since then its powers have fluctuated drastically as well as its concept.
(IE you may well be right but this doesn't make it consistent)
That was when they had to worry about power levels. After hitting level cap the arrangement changed.

6Bot9Ix.jpg
NgLnj6F.jpg

Kill la Kill 9

Lost it when Ira had the ball in his mouth.

That's a genuine masochist for ya.

Ira's past with him not kneeling to Satsuki was done well. That said, it made the outcome of the battle even more displeasing since Ira is just a much more likable character than Ryuko.

One of my favorite moments from Motto! was when
Oyajide played that lullaby on the piano for Hana-chan at the kindergarten.
I don't know why, it's just stuck itself in my head.

That was very nice. I don't remember well, but I was full of the lullaby at some point in sharp, and I think
Doremi's mother played it on the piano and everything was all right again,
and I could hear it without problems until the end season.

Hmm, frog song.

Gazoinks

Is there such a thing as too much hype for Space Dandy? I feel like I'm going to be disappointed if I keep being this hyped for it. Just like with some people and Kill La Kill

As long as you don't think Space Dandy will cure cancer, you're probably good.

Actually I'm not that hyped for Space Dandy. Looking forward to it, but I probably won't get legitimately hyped until right before the season starts, like with KLK.

Articalys

ANN doing a fine job of infringing copyright under the name of journalism.
My heart bleeds for you. (I knew you would provide some sarcastic comment the moment I linked the article in my post, by the way.)

Would you have less of an issue with them if they at least stopped watermarking?

Tenumi

Banned
Probably hated the Atari.

EDIT: As of today, Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! is fully subbed

Hurray, no breaks in my watching of GoGo!

...er, um, additional breaks, beyond the entire "My hard drive has 300 some bad sectors and is going to die but the computer is 6 years old so I'm just replacing the whole thing anyway" break. And watching stuff on my laptop just isn't as fun.

Hurray, no breaks in my watching of GoGo!

...er, um, additional breaks, beyond the entire "My hard drive has 300 some bad sectors and is going to die but the computer is 6 years old so I'm just replacing the whole thing anyway" break. And watching stuff on my laptop just isn't as fun.

I too hate Hard Drive failures *shakes fist at one I bought a few months ago*

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
At least you don't have to replace parts on the laptop. The main thing keeping me from replacing my old iBook's hard drive is the simple fact that you had to disassemble the entire thing before you get to the HD bay.

Monogatari Second Season - 22

Master negociator kaiki at work... and that was just a start of things to come.

The music they used in this season during the various dialogs were fantastic trully... Gotta need the OST

cnet128

Banned
Monogatari SS 22 (Koimonogatari 2)

gais I love this so muuuuuuuuuch

Kaiki da bes. Nadeko da bes. Kaiki and Nadeko da bes. Can we just have, like, a whole Kaiki and Nadeko spinoff series please? I'm glad SHAFT seem to have deliberately left plenty of episodes to do this arc justice (plus having no OP for the second arc in a row, which usually would make me mad, but if it's for the sake of giving this arc moar screentime I really can't complain).

Kaiki's "civilian look" was something I couldn't quite picture how it would work when I read about it in the novel, but they nailed it pretty well here. Still very much Kaiki, yet...not. Together with his super-smooth
investigation of Nadeko's house
(it was really fun watching him put on that act), the show has really built up the whole feeling of his professionality in the conman business. I love it. Oh, and what a godly line to end the episode on. Delivery 10/10, somebody give Miki Shin'ichiro a medal.

And then Nadeko. Adorable would be putting it lightly. If cuteness is a character flaw, then she really is so far gone as to be beyond recovery at this point, because even with all her creepy talk and inhuman-ness, it's like omigod I just want to hug her ow fuck the snakes are all biting me GET THEM OFF HAAAAAAAALP

Really gotta finish reading the novel soon because this shit is so good and I just know there's some kind of evil twist lying in wait. Also I want to find out
what was in that fucking closet
already >.>

Oh, and dat end card was amazing and caught me completely off guard. BOOM OSHINO AND NADEKO. That pairing makes no sense yet somehow I want to see a spinoff with those two now too. Maybe Oshino, Kaiki and Nadeko could be an amazing ghost busting trio or something I don't even know. It would be fucking awesome, trust me.

Kyuur

Can anyone tell me what the consensus on Yozakura Quartet is? Do I need to go and watch the OVA before continuing the anime?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
hajime no ippo: rising episode 9
brog is awesome, great episode, and now technically, ippo has lost 2 times even though it was unofficial.

At least you don't have to replace parts on the laptop. The main thing keeping me from replacing my old iBook's hard drive is the simple fact that you had to disassemble the entire thing before you get to the HD bay.

Hito, did you hear the Drama CDs of the first seasons of Ojamajo? In the sharp one there's a story for each* one, on why they consider Pop as a Imouto. A feast to the ears I say.

*Pop is already Doremi Imouto, so no story to her.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hito, did you hear the Drama CDs of the first seasons of Ojamajo? In the sharp one there's a story for each* one, on why they consider Pop as a Imouto. A feast to the ears I say.

*Pop is already Doremi Imouto, so no story to her.
I've listened to a bunch of them but not all of it. Hazuki as a wrestler is a bit out there, to say the least!

gais I love this so muuuuuuuuuch

Kaiki da bes. Nadeko da bes. Kaiki and Nadeko da bes. Can we just have, like, a whole Kaiki and Nadeko spinoff series please? I'm glad SHAFT seem to have deliberately left plenty of episodes to do this arc justice (plus having no OP for the second arc in a row, which usually would make me mad, but if it's for the sake of giving this arc moar screentime I really can't complain).

Kaiki's "civilian look" was something I couldn't quite picture how it would work when I read about it in the novel, but they nailed it pretty well here. Still very much Kaiki, yet...not. Together with his super-smooth
investigation of Nadeko's house
(it was really fun watching him put on that act), the show has really built up the whole feeling of his professionality in the conman business. I love it. Oh, and what a godly line to end the episode on. Delivery 10/10, somebody give Miki Shin'ichiro a medal.
The fact that his look change so much is probably why he can wonder in the city without much trouble .. it's really so much different , you won't be able to notice unless you're one of the people who trully know him. NOtice how he tries to put his air back at some point ? that's the whole difference ...and it works.

And then Nadeko. Adorable would be putting it lightly. If cuteness is a character flaw, then she really is so far gone as to be beyond recovery at this point, because even with all her creepy talk and inhuman-ness, it's like omigod I just want to hug her ow fuck the snakes are all biting me GET THEM OFF HAAAAAAAALP
You do need help.
Really gotta finish reading the novel soon because this shit is so good and I just know there's some kind of evil twist lying in wait. Also I want to find out
what was in that fucking closet
already >.>
i have no idea how they will adapt this and at what pace , but you have like maybe 1 or 2 eps at best untill you'll learn about it ... If you don't want to get caught up by the anime you better start reading :p

Oh, and dat end card was amazing and caught me completely off guard. BOOM OSHINO AND NADEKO. That pairing makes no sense yet somehow I want to see a spinoff with those two now too. Maybe Oshino, Kaiki and Nadeko could be an amazing ghost busting trio or something I don't even know. It would be fucking awesome, trust me.

Oshino & nadeko are opposites on some poinst and competiting on other points .. i don't think it's possible for the 2 to work together.
Unless doujins & comiket.

cnet128

Banned
So that was the last one. Taiko got the opening of 5 GoGo! in my head when I played it, first contact with Precure.

Oh yeah, slightly belated response but this post reminded me, for some reason the GoGo OP is the only Precure OP that's in the Band Bros P online catalogue right now. I have no idea why someone would go to the lengths to create that one when more obvious options like the Max Heart OP are still missing, but I guess the social rhythm game scene works in bizarre ways.

Either way, it's fun to play.

EDIT: Oh, and I just looked at the catalogue and somebody just added Staple Stable. Much appreciated (and quite appropriate since we're ostensibly in a Hitagi arc right now), but there are better Monogatari OPs that aren't covered yet. Step up your game, master song creator dudes!

jediyoshi

Still strolling down my kyoani backlog

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions 1

45eFSof.png

jxffUkB.png

Went in without knowing anything. Feels like a really pretty henneko without all the fanservice.
MC is a little bland but he seems like he's supposed to be more of a cypher for the viewer.
Pink hair clip is a hilarious look and suddenly a lot more things make sense to me.

cnet128

Banned
i have no idea how they will adapt this and at what pace , but you have like maybe 1 or 2 eps at best untill you'll learn about it ... If you don't want to get caught up by the anime you better start reading :p

Well, I'm about 80% of the way through the novel right now and Kaiki still has not deigned to inform the reader
what was in the fucking closet
. The story is just reaching the point where shit is almost certain to go down, though, so I'm sure it won't be long now.

Either way, I'm quite sure I'll have finished the novel before next week's episode, so nothing to worry about on that front =p

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This is referring to Aguri being adopted right? right? Before I even jump the gun here...

fun fact: "Aguri" is apparently an obsolete historical name that Japanese parents would name a daughter if they already had several daughters but wanted a son. I have no idea if this will actually tie into anything, but it's worth keeping in mind given that it's a nonexistent naming practice in the modern era.

Well, I'm about 80% of the way through the novel right now and Kaiki still has not deigned to inform the reader
what was in the fucking closet
. The story is just reaching the point where shit is almost certain to go down, though, so I'm sure it won't be long now.

Either way, I'm quite sure I'll have finished the novel before next week's episode, so nothing to worry about on that front =p

you had to be ready for that when you're having kaiki as narrator.

fun fact: "Aguri" is apparently an obsolete historical name that Japanese parents would name a daughter if they already had several daughters but wanted a son. I have no idea if this will actually tie into anything, but it's worth keeping in mind given that it's a nonexistent naming practice in the modern era.

I think I recall this.

I was just asking because I jumped the gun immediately and thought it meant Mana was adopted, but I had to sit back down and reread it before moving on.

Also dat Pixy Misa. Was considering using her as an avatar back then.

Hajime no Ippo: Rising 9

DAT sparring! Fucking Volg man1

Gazoinks

Still strolling down my kyoani backlog

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions 1

Went in without knowing anything. Feels like a really pretty henneko without all the fanservice.
MC is a little bland but he seems like he's supposed to be more of a cypher for the viewer.
Pink hair clip is a hilarious look and suddenly a lot more things make sense to me.

Funnily enough, I just watched the first ep of this yesterday cause a friend of mine really liked it. Was alright. Cute, but has some of the same KyoAni problems I have with Clannad (and the first episode of KnK but that's all I saw so I don't count it).

Oh yeah, slightly belated response but this post reminded me, for some reason the GoGo OP is the only Precure OP that's in the Band Bros P online catalogue right now. I have no idea why someone would go to the lengths to create that one when more obvious options like the Max Heart OP are still missing, but I guess the social rhythm game scene works in bizarre ways.

Either way, it's fun to play.

EDIT: Oh, and I just looked at the catalogue and somebody just added Staple Stable. Much appreciated (and quite appropriate since we're ostensibly in a Hitagi arc right now), but there are better Monogatari OPs that aren't covered yet. Step up your game, master song creator dudes!

I didn't spend an entire night going through the anime songs in the site, I swear! I just need to remember I don't have more space in the fridge of my japanese 3DS.
Got to hear some old ass shit.

cnet128

Banned
you had to be ready for that when you're having kaiki as narrator.

With Kaiki as narrator, I'm ready for pretty much anything up to and including everything that has happened in the entire book being a complete fabrication that Kaiki made up to amuse himself while he was taking a cold bath to cool off in the summer heat twenty years after all the other characters died in a freak accident involving giant piranhas.

But I still probably won't be ready for whatever does happen.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Admittedly, I only gave Aiko two months instead of the usual three because I had trouble finding a good source.

Being Aiko is suffering.

Admittedly, I only gave Aiko two months instead of the usual three because I had trouble finding a good source.

Being Aiko is suffering.

;-;. I couldn't find one either for you sadly.

Although.... considering my yelling about in how the fanbase apparently had AikoxOnpu, and how I shoot for DoremixOnpu, our interactions certainly backed up their fanon.
this was the terrible realization.

Maybe if I interact with gashikunFLCL more, it'll justify my mindset.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I loved all of this, I actually didnt think we would get to see sengoku until march 15th, but she shows up again and she is pretty much all gone now lol

;-;. I couldn't find one either for you sadly.

Although.... considering my yelling about in how the fanbase apparently had AikoxOnpu, and how I shoot for DoremixOnpu, our interactions certainly backed up their fanon.
this was the terrible realization.

Maybe if I interact with gashikunFLCL more, it'll justify my mindset.

Maybe it's finally my moteki time.

Watashi wa sekai ichi shiawase na bishoujo.

Maybe it's finally my moteki time.

Watashi wa sekai ichi shiawase na bishoujo.

It's lost on me ._.

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 40

Urara finally gets to achieve her dream! And then uses her One Free Syrup Ride coupon.

Euphimisms ensue!
I can't help but feel that this is what the Urashiro doujin was actually about. Too bad there's no translation... or there is, but I didn't look hard enough.

I guess before moving onto episode 41, something hit me, but it might be a bit off based.

Okay, for me, it seems like the Yellow Mahou Shoujo tend to be the most likely to have a dramatic personality shift, and may possible still retain their debuting personality.

Thought about this because Urara was a mini-Nozomi after joining the cast. And then there's Yayoi... and Pixy Misa.... and Momoko.... and I don't know if Minako counts for this one.

cajunator

Banned

jediyoshi

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions 2

EBxJAvF.png

brAqFUV.png

Ohh dear, this just got way more harem-y than what I was ready for. Already anticipating getting burned.
Kinda hilarious how straight they represent the cat during closeups.
Scene with Rikka's sister and the voice recording was perfect.
Dug the fight scene, brought me back to elementary school watching in horror as kids fought out dragon ball battles.

Andrew J.

Yamato 2199 20

I call hax on that teleportation bullshit.

Of course the guy with a picture of his family in the cockpit bites it.

Every part of this battle was awesome, except for Yuki getting turned into a damsel in distress. At least it prompted Yurisha's miraculous recovery somehow.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I guess before moving onto episode 41, something hit me, but it might be a bit off based.

Okay, for me, it seems like the Yellow Mahou Shoujo tend to be the most likely to have a dramatic personality shift, and may possible still retain their debuting personality.

Thought about this because Urara was a mini-Nozomi after joining the cast. And then there's Yayoi... and Pixy Misa.... and Momoko.... and I don't know if Minako counts for this one.
If Momoko counts, then Minako the shameless idol chaser certainly does!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom