• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So I was wondering why they mentioned Soul Eater. Obviously same studio but like nobody worked on Soul Eater on the known staff other than Nakamura, who is just doing key animation. So now I'm wondering if it might have been a reference to the composer, who we surprisingly still don't know about. So I checked who the composer was for Soul Eater and it's Iwasaki. This is more his type of show than Kanno's persay. The music in the PV sounds awfully like him...

It's just the same kind of tenuous staff/studio association that marketers have always used to give some meaningless semblance of pedigree to whatever they're peddling.

tYZmnVc.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
They probably just mentioned Soul Eater because it's a Bones show (as you said) currently airing on Toonami.
Actually, all three shows they mentioned aired on Toonami.

Pretty much most of the shows from BONES have aired on Toonami. I'm sure I'm over reading into it. There supposedly are multiple composers working on it and this really seems like something Iwasaki would love to do, not to mention he hasn't really done anything since Gatchaman which would make him free for this.

It's just the same kind of tenuous staff/studio association that marketers have always used to give some meaningless semblance of pedigree to whatever they're peddling.

That looks like a List show.

Pretty much most of the shows from BONES have aired on Toonami. I'm sure I'm over reading into it. There supposedly are multiple composers working on it and this really seems like something Iwasaki would love to do, not to mention he hasn't really done anything since Gatchaman which would make him free for this.

Well it is on the list.

fertygo

Koimonogatari - 02

This is everything that I want from this series.. so good..
Listening Kaiki analyzing and throwing snark to pedoragi feel so amazing and charming, and the episode itself look more polished than usual.. this shaping to be the best arc.

Oh Kaiki, you magnificent bastard.

Macross Frontier movies thoughts

What the fuck did I just watch. The love story aspect I liked but everything else was... I can suspend my disbelief for many things in anime but a robot show where the power of music saves the day is just...

It wasn't bad, just the ending pissed me off. Almost like it was setting up a sequel that never happened.

I feel like watching a Gundam show next. Gundam Seed seems like it's another mech show with romance, is it any good?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I should probably clarify and say that not every instance of association between works for marketing purposes is totally bogus, but specific staff need to be invoked and studio comparisons are only valid if a lot of the same creative talent is shared between projects. Anything like that Mystical Laws poster that's probably just referring to some minor key animator or contracted inbetweening studio is really shitty, though it's an extreme example.

This kind of thing was originally designed to encourage impulse buys when anime had a retail presence but it's not really worth getting too bothered over now that it's just used to try and get people to tune into stuff. The mention of Soul Eater in the Space Dandy promo gets a pass because it's a show that the Toonami audience is already familiar with and these promos have to be designed on the assumption that the person viewing the promo has only seen a very specific set of shows.

Yeah, it's the newest Happy Science movie.

Magi 1-7

Love love love this series. First one in a while where I've been hooked from the first episode. Part of it may be that it seems a fairly uncommon setting for anime. It's also hilarious (but not surprising) how much Aladdin loves boobs.

fertygo

Macross Frontier movies thoughts

What the fuck did I just watch. The love story aspect I liked but everything else was... I can suspend my disbelief for many things in anime but a robot show where the power of music saves the day is just...

It wasn't bad, just the ending pissed me off. Almost like it was setting up a sequel that never happened.

I feel like watching a Gundam show next. Gundam Seed seems like it's another mech show with romance, is it any good?

Dude, its what the franchise famous and about for..

Bombless

Magi 1-7

Love love love this series. First one in a while where I've been hooked from the first episode. Part of it may be that it seems a fairly uncommon setting for anime. It's also hilarious (but not surprising) how much Aladdin loves boobs.

Getting used to the source material after a certain figure popped up eh?
Thinking about doing the same, the synopsis sounds awesome.

Jex

[Monogatari Second Whatever] - 22

So this Kaiki arc is turning out to be unexpectedly great, perhaps in part because SHAFT actually seem to care a tiny bit about making it. Of course, more importantly, we're actually getting a follow up to the Snake Arc which is not something I actually expected to see. Based Nisio Isin, etc etc.

As always, firehawk12 is a failure of a human being for not having watched the Snake girl arc.

Jex

[Hajime No Ippo: Rising] - 9

Well, this is pretty classic Hajime no Ippo content, albeit with fairly generic music. It's quite hard to find anything interesting to say about a well executed and rather predictable sports series but it's satisfying to watch nevertheless. From what readers of the manga have muttered about in somewhat dark tones I take it that the story in the manga kind of goes downhill soon after this?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
madp: Utena's original DVD release had the prominent tagline of "From the director of Sailor Moon".

And I must confess I didn't have a full grasp of what that meant at the time.

Jex

So I was wondering why they mentioned Soul Eater. Obviously same studio but like nobody worked on Soul Eater on the known staff other than Nakamura, who is just doing key animation. So now I'm wondering if it might have been a reference to the composer, who we surprisingly still don't know about. So I checked who the composer was for Soul Eater and it's Iwasaki. This is more his type of show than Kanno's persay. The music in the PV sounds awfully like him...

That's just classic advertising for you, attempting to tie the work into something that people already know. I mean, it's not like many people know the names of directors or anything like that so throwing in show titles to peak peoples interest is a pretty standard manoeuvre.

Theonik

That was when they had to worry about power levels. After hitting level cap the arrangement changed.
The power inconsistencies first appeared well before power levels stopped being relevant, rather, they used them whenever it was convenient as well. Like I don't remember talking to plants being relevant for more than a couple of episodes or less.

fun fact: "Aguri" is apparently an obsolete historical name that Japanese parents would name a daughter if they already had several daughters but wanted a son. I have no idea if this will actually tie into anything, but it's worth keeping in mind given that it's a nonexistent naming practice in the modern era.
Fun fact: Aguri in Greek means cucumber. Coincidence? I don't think so!

First come, first served!
Can't be going around giving up Onpu-chi anyway.

Strike Witches 3

I wonder how much the military saved by not issuing pants. Lynne's the early favorite too!
I'm relevant!
They are wearing pants! They just live in a great world where they're much better.
"They are not panties, so it's not embarrassing!" - Miyafuji Yoshika

Toonamigaf sure does like that Toonami is getting Space Dandy first just to see animegaf "salty".

Or at least Andrex does.
The saddest part is we are actually getting it at the same time too. Also that inferiority complex.

"salty" has to be one of the most overused slang terms on GAF.
Kappa

I'm not sure how great the obfuscated story actually is, but at least it had great animation and music.
Be sure to listen to the commentaries after this if you haven't already. They make figuring your answer to that question a lot easier.

No idea, just seen him mentioning alluding to not liking Anime-GAF.
Probably one of those people that lurked here once and keep hearing 4th person reports of how terrible this place is/look at the idiots that spam waifu/persona threads and think this is animeGAF.
And yet I cannot bring myself to give a flying fuck.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 - 27-43 [END]

Finally decided to get back on that Gundam train. Too tired to make lengthy impressions but I will say this:
Char is legit as fuck.

Will start Zeta in a couple hours.
Sadly no purity in these shows as far as I remember. A reason why modern Gundam is better! And you are right. Char is indeed legit.

Jarmel

Banned
That's just classic advertising for you, attempting to tie the work into something that people already know. I mean, it's not like many people know the names of directors or anything like that so throwing in show titles to peak peoples interest is a pretty standard manoeuvre.

Yea I know. I'm mostly having fun guessing as we don't know any of the composers.

fertygo

[Hajime No Ippo: Rising] - 9

Well, this is pretty classic Hajime no Ippo content, albeit with fairly generic music. It's quite hard to find anything interesting to say about a well executed and rather predictable sports series but it's satisfying to watch nevertheless. From what readers of the manga have muttered about in somewhat dark tones I take it that the story in the manga kind of goes downhill soon after this?

LOL its not get darker, but more due to annoyance that Ippo fighting bunch of almost magical opponent.. I think the manga became interesting again lately though.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
LOL its not get darker, but more due to annoyance that Ippo fighting bunch of almost magical opponent.. I think the manga became interesting again lately though.

hajime no ippo is a shonen manga, not just a sports manga, and so eventually it will have to go beyond reality especially when they want to make opponents noticeably stronger.

hajime no ippo is a shonen manga, not just a sports manga, and so eventually it will have to go beyond reality especially when they want to make opponents noticeably stronger.

Considering how grounded in reality it is, it's not really acceptable.

I am bringing up Wolli again.

Westlo

Kill la Kill 03

KILL-la-KILL-03-01.jpg

whoo.png
@ Lady Satsuki's Kamui.

holeup.png
@ that terrible CGI sequence in the fight.

It's really dat one fight that kinda killed it though... can't believe how many chapters was spent on that fight... hopefully when it gets adapted in 2022 they can just say fuck this and do it in 2 chapters and pretend the rest of it never happened.

fertygo

Well people not annoyed that Mashiba have 2 meter punch or Ippo basically pull worst boxing style ever.. its never realistic at first place.

But Gedo and Woli fight is incredibly lazy by series standard, so no wonder people got turned off...
It's really dat one fight that kinda killed it though... can't believe how many chapters was spent on that fight... hopefully when it gets adapted in 2022 they can just say fuck this and do it in 2 chapters and pretend the rest of it never happened.
Bwahahahaha yeah fuck that fight.

Thankfully based Volg save the manga lately.

cajunator

Banned

I SEE YURI (yes I know its just tenchi muyo)

Hell yes Im excited for this.

I meant that I can stream anime shows on a legit site with good quality. No more pirating...

Erm....well thats good then. There are several streaming services, including Funimation and Viz, as well as Hulu, Netflix, and I believe one other startup service. Lots of choices.

I'd think that'd only happen to the more idol-ish seiyuu. I don't remember any rage when Rie Tanaka got married.

Also just assume it's me if there's ever news of Miyukichi marrying.

Your avatar...why no Yuno or fuwafuwa?

Westlo

Bwahahahaha yeah fuck that fight.

Thankfully based Volg save the manga lately.

30 chapters FFS, I can't believe it, that's over half a year on such a shit fight. At least the fight before it had a massive build up and deserved how long it went for, but Woli? fuck that.

cajunator

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Finally, a Zelda game that does things I've wanted for an entire fucking generation and then some: Cutting out a large amount of bullshit between Dungeons. As well as little to no fucking tutorials. Improve on this shit for your next game. This was a worthwhile experiment.

This game is godlike. Its just perfect. I dont really particularly enjoy the top down Zeldas that much, but this one is something special!

I'm relevant!

They are wearing pants! They just live in a great world where they're much better.

You'll always be relevant nakama <3

Why? Everyone is going to watch it all the same.

Seriously. Who's salty and why?

Marie & Gali - 00
Vb484XG.png

Haha, just because of the left-hand rule.

Marika...wa, wait! I know this voice! It's Chiba Chiemi! Nice.
This'll amuse me greatly, used to use the left-hand rule a lot...but now it's back to studing for my test tomorrow. =(

cajunator

Banned
Hmm, does he resent people who aren't happy just being given an English dub and want options?

But sometimes the dub is actually the best choice!

If it's anything it's probably one of the two usual unsubstantiated accusations that get thrown around in OT anime threads:

• animegaf is "elitist" and hates x show that I like
  • animegaf is a bunch of depraved moe lovers who hate MANLY anime

It's never both at the same time; imagine that.

Neither of the above are even remotely true.

madp: Utena's original DVD release had the prominent tagline of "From the director of Sailor Moon".

And I must confess I didn't have a full grasp of what that meant at the time.

I just checked my old DVDs and you're right.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
But sometimes the dub is actually the best choice!
That's a separate issue! Even when it's the best choice, it's good to still have it as a choice.

It can also serve as reference material, as you can actually check how Garzey's Wing sounded before dubbing instead of wondering.

cajunator

Banned
That's a separate issue! Even when it's the best choice, it's good to still have it as a choice.

It can also serve as reference material, as you can actually check how Garzey's Wing sounded before dubbing instead of wondering.

Well, thats true. Garzeys wing doesnt sound nearly as fun in japanese.
Neither does Desert Punk, Goldenboy, Cowboy Bebop, Gunsmith Cats, or a slew of other shows.

With Kaiki as narrator, I'm ready for pretty much anything up to and including everything that has happened in the entire book being a complete fabrication that Kaiki made up to amuse himself while he was taking a cold bath to cool off in the summer heat twenty years after all the other characters died in a freak accident involving giant piranhas.

But I still probably won't be ready for whatever does happen.

( spoiler for episode 21 )
i'm willing to bet that
the whole deal with the hawaian t-shirt and the fake glasses is something kaiki added to the story because it would be fun

fertygo

Kuroko's Basketball - 34

iyT3f4ptGwsix.gif

Better post game than Dwight Howard
Kick those scumbag ass Kiyoshi, pissed the hell of me..

So pleased with all of this saturday show.. Saturday > Thursday for anime!

cnet128

Banned
Kuroko's Basketball - 34

Kick those scumbag ass Kiyoshi, pissed the hell of me..

So pleased with all of this saturday show.. Saturday > Thursday for anime!

That gif is scarily mesmerising. I'd been sitting there just staring at it for minutes before I realised what was happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom