• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well people not annoyed that Mashiba have 2 meter punch or Ippo basically pull worst boxing style ever.. its never realistic at first place.

But Gedo and Woli fight is incredibly lazy by series standard, so no wonder people got turned off...

I kind of liked Gedo. But Woli was obnoxious, and that fight went on for way too long and was completely implausible in pretty much every way.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
GnNcsOl.jpg

Missed this yesterday but ohohoho yessssss. <3

Sadly no purity in these shows as far as I remember. A reason why modern Gundam is better! And you are right. Char is indeed legit.

What? There's pure love in Modern Gundam? I need names!

Jarmel

Banned
Utena-9

102771.gif

So this show is a dissection of the idea of princes and chivalry as a whole. Utena still believes in this system while trying to circumvent it at the same time. So she's both idealistic and a bit hypocritical.

7Th

So I was wondering why they mentioned Soul Eater. Obviously same studio but like nobody worked on Soul Eater on the known staff other than Nakamura, who is just doing key animation. So now I'm wondering if it might have been a reference to the composer, who we surprisingly still don't know about. So I checked who the composer was for Soul Eater and it's Iwasaki. This is more his type of show than Kanno's persay. The music in the PV sounds awfully like him...

Because it's airing on Toonami.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's just the same kind of tenuous staff/studio association that marketers have always used to give some meaningless semblance of pedigree to whatever they're peddling.
Can't believe they'd undersell it like that!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
FLCL 6

Well you can tell Gainax had fun making this. I'm not sure how great the obfuscated story actually is, but at least it had great animation and music.

I'm still of the opinion that besides the animation and soundtrack the show is pretty trashy. Glad you liked the soundtrack though. It's pretty hype.

duckroll

So I was wondering why they mentioned Soul Eater. Obviously same studio but like nobody worked on Soul Eater on the known staff other than Nakamura, who is just doing key animation.

What? It has the same character designer. Jarmel, why do you always have to be wrong?!

Jarmel

Banned
Utena-10

its9hKnjA4xMx.gif

This guy is like the ultimate asshole. Holy shit. I'll give him points for being slick about it though.
Also what is up with Japan and incest? There has to be some sort of serious cultural element somewhere.

What? It has the same character designer. Jarmel, why do you always have to be wrong?!

Oops. Should have checked more of the ANN links on the staff page.

fertygo

Probably because they so freaked out with Taboo, thus people in this niche medium (anime) interested with that. Pretty sure its not that big in their TV Drama/movies culture. CMIIW

Jarmel

Banned
Probably because they so freaked out with Taboo, thus people in this niche medium (anime) interested with that. Pretty sure its not that big in their TV Drama/movies culture. CMIIW

Maybe it does have to partially do with it being a niche medium as the videogame part of the incest trope page also has a heavy slant towards the Japanese as well.

Defuser

Monogatari ep 22

Nishio should really start writing more villian POVs because the Sengoku Nadeko arc is great and this arc is bloody excellent with Kaiki as the protagainst. It's amazing how Nishio can 180 transform somebody detestable into one swag motherfucker and even questioning Araragi's pedo tendencies.

Articalys

I'm done. Consider myself completely driven out and ousted from this thread, no longer needed for anything.

You accomplished your goal. Congratulations, buddy.

Not going to bother checking back here for replies either. Something to say, PM me.

Narag

Studio Ghibli blurays are on sale (50% off) at Amazon this week

wru mononoke & spirited away ; ;

I'm done. Consider myself completely driven out and ousted from this thread, no longer needed for anything.

You accomplished your goal. Congratulations, buddy.

Not going to bother checking back here for replies either. Something to say, PM me.

Ousted? Fucking stop it.

DiGiKerot

You know, I've been flicking through the US Girls und Panzer BD - has anyone said if even the terrible arrangement of That Song From Tetris used to replace Katyusha was forced on them from the Japanese side?

As it stands, it looks like the scene in question has been almost completely recomposited from the original materials - aside from the obvious removal of lip-flaps, they've changed the timing and speed of a camera pan (even over the Japanese BDs) without any discrepancy in the overlayed snow effects between the two versions. It's clearly been done by the animation studio.

Saying that, the music change alters the effect and impression of the scene so drastically that I honestly think the Crunchy version, with it removed entirely, worked better. If that music came from Japan, it's not only disappointing given the shows otherwise superb use of music, but also displays a hilarious misunderstanding of the tone of the sequence from someone in the proximity of the original staff. Or someone just doesn't give a damn about the foreign audience.

(PS - The BD is Region A+B encoded, should any of the British fellows feel like importing it. Placing it on a B player boots the BD to Hanabee (the Aus licensor) iconography rather than Sentai, so I'd presume the UK release will end up being DVD-only if a co-pressing deal with Aus over the BDs is off the table)

Teekyuu 33

ExgK4GQl.jpg

Being a priest in the 21st century.

Kyou no Asuka Show 15

The old timey tradition of crashing into a boy with toast in your mouth.

Koimonogatari (Novel) END

well, fuck.
It was for the greater good. ( can't say more because .... no i won't spoiler , this arc is too good to be spoilered.)
Isn't NISIO such a great trolling writter ?

Disgonbgud?

it's awesome.

There can be only one AnimeGaf newsman.

Sigh*

At least this is better than stopping yourself from posting an information that might be helpfull to some people because someone might have posted it already. What should matter is that we discuss the info not who is posting said info here.

Looks fun!

Yama no Susume 2nd season next year, for real this time! (I hope)

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-20260.html

Edit: reports claim it's going to be 2 cours long (two anime seasons) and episode length 15 minutes.

Hopefully the show can maintain the same level of polish over the longer timespan.

"Buddy Complex"? Really?

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi &#9839; 10
This was an interesting episode to say the least. For one it made me notice that Nobu's male detective in her stories is actually a self-insert for her.
The episode itself revolves around Nobu's later work involving a male version of herself and his romantic relationship with Aiko in high-school which I understand simply serves as a not very subtle romantic confession to Aiko though Aiko seems to have missed that point entirely. I mean come on.
The rest of the episode is a pretty fun dramatic story of NTR, and misc antics and is pretty fun.

duckroll

Yozakura "Please watch the OADs" Quartet - Episode 9

XezAQN5.jpg

Japanese maps are the WORST. Confirmed!

Great episode. I really liked the way they arranged the episode, and the animation was pretty great throughout. Nice direction, cute scenes, solid action. The only "flaw" in the show is how amazingly creative the animators are at sneaking in dodgy fanservice into pretty much any scene when they put their mind to it. It's really impressive how dedicated they are to their perversion. Not even Kohime is spared. >_<

It's going to be pretty hilarious to watch this episode for anyone who hasn't watched the OADs yet. The opening this week is replaced by a special one using the OP song from the OADs, and the entire sequence is a 90 second summary of the 3 OAD episodes using all the best animated parts. Really cool for those who have seen it, probably totally confusing for anyone who hasn't. The episode itself also serves as a really nice extended epilogue bridging the story and the new character from the OADs into the next stage of the TV series. :)

cnet128

Banned
It was for the greater good. ( can't say more because .... no i won't spoiler , this arc is too good to be spoilered.)
Isn't NISIO such a great trolling writter ?

OUGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII *shakes fist at sky*

I have to say I was pretty surprised to see that kid actually make an appearance, snakes and all. That plot thread has been left hanging ever since Bake, and I honestly thought Nisio was never going to address it.

"Buddy Complex"? Really?

i've stopped paying attention to the names .. valvrave was really the last time i've said WTF.

I'm pretty sure it sound awesome in japanese. ( and in all other languages except english )

---------
@Cnet128

It's my guilty pleasure to follow writters , authors that have a proper vision on where they are going , and are putting all the right steps even if it takes time. Nisio never disapoints.God bless hanghing threads & forshadowing.

The Steam Sale totally did not distract me from my anime. No not at all. In fact I watched a wonderful anime thanks to the Steam sale.

To the Moon

I have not felt so touched in a long time. This has got to be one of the most heartwarming love stories I've ever seen.

So basically two scientists have to hijack an old man's memories before he bites the dust due to old age. They have to make him believe that he went to the moon. The problem? He doesn't quite know why he wants to go to the moon. From there, it's a tale of love, drama, and suspense as the scientists dwell further into the man's memories. All the way from his old age to his childhood.

I'm glad it knew when to be funny, though the pop-culture references could have died down a bit. Seriously, some of them were really inappropriate. But other than that, to delve further into this tale would be spoiling what I think is a wonderful story. You will laugh and cry with this story.

cajunator

Banned
It's not just him, like the TV tropes page for brother-sister incest has a list that is insanely long for anime alone.

yeah its a popular subject recently.

I thought it'd be somewhat clever because Noel = Christmas bla bla bla. I may just have to switch to something else because there isn't a lot of art to work with!

Ohh thats Noel? Didnt recognize her without color. Thats perfectly fine then :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Look like you've made a 4kids censor .
Was it the butt line the real problem ?
Yes, I went a bit 4kids here, but you know what anti-AnimeGAF is like. I'd likely be accused of being Jimmy Saville reincarnated if I wasn't careful.

Yes, I know its odd that I'm saying this considering some of my previous avatars, but they were cropped.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ace of the Diamond Episode 9:

I'll tell you what, this series is make me appreciate the cheesy sports montage in ways I never would have imagined previously. Indeed, I think I am officially sick and tried of watching Eijun Sawamura be trained so terribly and failing miserably. Indeed this was yet another episode of that crawling towards some sort of fucking resolution as they finally have Chris quasi-coaching him. I think the biggest developments this are Satoru Furuya being sent back to second-string training and at last the end of the arc road being revealed. I will say Ace of Diamond is by far the weakest show that I fully picked up watching tis season at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom