• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Universal Atraction sounds like a Saint Seiya attack, even more after Omega.

Marie & Gali - 11~20

That episode 17 training montage was inspiring.And you ask me if this show is really about science.
Such a shame S2 hasn't been subbed yet. You can see a lot of Umakoshi cuts from it on your artbook actually just teasing you.

How does this work...

...down there?
We had this discussion here with Corvo and Mazinger! His take was down the middle with all that entails.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Such a shame S2 hasn't been subbed yet. You can see a lot of Umakoshi cuts from it on your artbook actually just teasing you.

The Marie and Gali section in my Umakoshi Toei Animation Works book is like five fukken pages.

Theonik

The Marie and Gali section in my Umakoshi Toei Animation Works book is like five fukken pages.
Well mine is sitting on my shelf like 2000KM away from me at the moment so my memory might be failing me. But I remember at last a couple.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well mine is sitting on my shelf like 2000KM away from me at the moment so my memory might be failing me. But I remember at last a couple.

I was agreeing with you! Sucks that Heartcatch and Doremi get like a hundred pages each and M&G is just an afterthought.

e: not M&G but just imagine actually owning these babies:

RoGH0RR.jpg

Theonik

I was agreeing with you! Sucks that Heartcatch and Doremi get like a hundred pages each and M&G is just an afterthought.
Kinda expected really since Doremi is almost 200 episodes long and HC is 50.
Whereas M&G is 40 5 minute episodes plus 20ish more iirc.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kinda expected really since Doremi is almost 200 episodes long and HC is 50.
Whereas M&G is 40 5 minute episodes plus 20ish more iirc.

It's a design works book, though! There should still be a ton of material from the developmental stages regardless of the show's actual length.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! episode 1-3
been enjoyable so far, rikka is cute and though its obviously exaggerated does bring a touch of realism of the preteen-teenager years of a kid into shonen anime.

How are you guys watching the latest episode of Yozakura. Do you speak Japanese?

I'm pretty sure there are several regulars in here who are at least conversant in it, if not fluent.

Also, I need to find a new avatar. Also, I need to finally watch some anime this week (all I've seen is episode 2 of Yozakura).

Theonik

It's a design works book, though! There should still be a ton of material from the developmental stages regardless of the show's actual length.
Yes, but then again something like Doremi for instance has new costumes each season and a ton of other things that get redone. In HC each cure gets several costumes etc.
So that just leads to more. A shame regardless of how M&G is kinda shunned.

Enron

Banned
I'm done. Consider myself completely driven out and ousted from this thread, no longer needed for anything.

You accomplished your goal. Congratulations, buddy.

Not going to bother checking back here for replies either. Something to say, PM me.

Seriously. Get help.

wonzo

Banned
I'm done. Consider myself completely driven out and ousted from this thread, no longer needed for anything.

You accomplished your goal. Congratulations, buddy.

Not going to bother checking back here for replies either. Something to say, PM me.
k

Jarmel

Banned
Yamato 2199- fin
I thought this was pretty fantastic. All the elements came together to create this really strong and cohesive work that is a fantastic modern retelling of a classic anime. While there are certainly elements of Battlestar Galactica,the modern version, it did feel like its own beast and the tone is much more consistent here. There are elements in Yamato 2199 that hint at the era from which the show hails from and while other works might have tried to downplay it, Yamato 2199 builds on those strengths and also uses more modern storytelling elements. It's a grand adventure anime that doesn't really take itself too seriously but really does nail a consistent tone that helps build this pervasive atmosphere. Even small things like repeating the number of days till Earth is dead, helped to reinforce the importance of the mission and also increasing the tension.
The most impressive element in the show for me was the 'villains'. The Garmillans, as Space Prussians I guess, are really fleshed out on not only a cultural level but an individual one as well. While there are certainly some characters on the Garmillan's side who are pretty much evil twirling mustache level villains, there are also some really in- depth ones as well. General Domel stands out as a highlight as he works as a rival throughout the series and the audience gets a really good understanding of his predicament. He's pretty charismatic but also dedicated to the cause and he certainly made the fights more dynamic. The show also fleshes out the anti-alien sentiment among the humans as well and there are some human antagonists thrown into the mix. Displaying both sides of the conflict not only helped to flesh out the universe as it displayed the contrasting alien architecture and society, it also served to make the fights more interesting especially when you know both sides of the battle.
The art direction was phenomenal. The user interfaces that both the human and Garmillans were used were intricate and cool looking. The architecture for the Garmillans felt organic and alien, reflecting differences them and the humans. I also thought some of the planets were really well designed as well and there are some gorgeous layouts during the show. It's a pity the ships were CGI but it didn't really bother me that much. I do think the anime had some great visual effects such as the afterburners on the ships or the Wave Motion Gun firing. I loved the character designs as they felt both old school and modern to an extent. I'm not necessarily wild about the Garmillans being blue humans though but that's sci-fi for you. The soundtrack had this larger than life feel to it in that it reflected this orchestral manly sound from the 70s. Yamato's theme is blaring and triumphant and the multiple Garmillan-related songs have this militaristic aspect to them. The space battles were alright, I liked that there were a lot of tactical aspects that went into them. I did find some of the outcomes somewhat unrealistic but it's not a serious complaint.
I have to say I really liked the characters as a whole. The only one that rubbed me the wrong way would be Dessler in that they tried to portray him in this sympathetic light but it wasn't enough. He just goes full on crazy near the end and any sort of character building with him is too little too late. I do give the staff credit for giving him emotions though and not making him one tone. The show really did a great job fleshing out the side cast and making sure that nobody felt neglected, which helped to make the Yamato crew feel like one big family to an extent. The show really did an exceptional job juggling its insanely large cast. I also thought the show did a notable job fleshing out Susumu Kodai and Yuki Mori's relationship. The audience gets a good sense of why they care for each other and the relationship builds gradually over the series. I do think the love triangle bit early on with Akira Yamamoto didn't do much though and was kind of a non-starter.
I don't watch much space opera anime but I enjoyed my time with this a lot. The fact that the setting wasn't in a high school, went a long ways.

What's wrong with Space Opera and high school kids?

They can be saving the world from an alien menace AND worrying about whether Sally-chan had an indirect kiss with them when they shared a bottle uguu~

edit: Also I've introduced my buddies to Mirai Nikki. Best yandere introduction for them to go forward in the anime world?

cnet128

Banned
Yozakura Quartet -Hana no Uta- 9

Hot damn
Enjin doesn't really fuck about, does he. Dude just shows up out of nowhere, wrecks shit up with his supercool teleportation stunts, mindrapes folk because he can, appropriates everyone's abilities as if he wasn't powerful enough already, and then takes his leave still smirking like the smug bastard he is.

Oh, also, I can't say I was expecting
that elder dude to be so badass. He didn't strike me as the fighting type, but turns out the guy can do some pretty amazing things with his pipe.

Andrew J.

Yamato 2199 23

I feel like it's a bit of a copout that they just plain missed, but I suppose there wasn't any other way to get out of that situation.

And Garmilas named their WMG after Desler, of course.

He's doing a colony drop on his own planet, his own capital no less, where most of his command staff still are, to destroy the Yamato, which can probably get out of the way in time anyway. Cartoonish supervillainy is one thing, but this is just stupid.

Himmler is the only one who approves, of course.

I can't tell you how glad I am that Yuki is being proactive and not just waiting around to be rescued.

Everything blowed up real good, but I've got the feeling Desler got out, if only because there are three episodes left and not just one.

Golden Time 9

NO GHOST BANRI WHY DON'T YOU DARE HURT KOKO GO AWAY

Yeah many of us are pissed with this recent development. But my fears were put away due to LN spoilers.

Gingitsune 09
I don't think I've ever wanted to have something of my own as much as I want a Haru. Who cares about pokemon when you can have a tsundere tiny fox god.

cajunator

Banned

Necrovex

Hajime no Ippo 58

Every haunted house should have a section dedicated to Mashiba.

Wait, what did I just read about Yoko being 12 years of age during the first part of Gurren Lagann? There's no god damn way that can be true. I'm being trolled right?

zeroshiki

It feels like it's at least weekly. And I'm completely mystified as to what even brought that on. I guess someone else posted news or something?

He really needs to get over that.

I know the previous times he got upset, it was because someone posted late news and people started replying to it. Srs bsns I suppose.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
He really needs to get over that.

I know the previous times he got upset, it was because someone posted late news and people started replying to it. Srs bsns I suppose.

Vito (@Ikari_Gendo) is like the supremo anime news guy on twitter and just started posting here recently so I assume that Arti feels like his turf is being muscled in on.

CorvoSol

I love this post so much.

I have words I could say but no

I'm not sure why you're missing the much more obvious truth of that show, which is that Araragi and his harem are the last survivors of some undescribed silent apocalypse, possibly caused by disease. Nowhere in Japan are streets that empty all the time.

Probably because I'm too busy trying to figure out why they all tilt their head backwards to look at people ALL THE TIME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom