• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marie & Gali - 21~30
KjKWUZ8.png
mszBPBg.png

Marika-robot vs Gundam Darwin
2QnzKiO.png

Curie-san this is not Dragon Ball.

I thought this was a short anime about science.

It's at times like this we need to call...
XR116V7.png
R3Zw07U.png

This episode was awesome. So much fun with something I already know

I need to look the artbook again, I wantexpect to see many Hertz pictures.

Andrew J.

Yamato 2199 24

Beach episode. These swimsuits aren't really much more revealing than normal clothing at least for the women.

Think something got in my eye during
Mamoru's message.

I have words I could say but no

Probably because I'm too busy trying to figure out why they all tilt their head backwards to look at people ALL THE TIME.
That's not the show fault , it's shaft , doing SHAFT things.
Seriously shaft should trademark or copyright this head tilting backward animation

Animegaf 101

If you see cdig gets banned. It's 99.9% because of lewd things being posted.

Each time he is more and more cautious about what he posts , but he still manages to get hit .

Samurai Flamenco - 8

I don't even give a fuck anymore; Samumenco is currently my AOTY. It may not be the crowning artistic achievement in anime this year (either technically or thematically), but it's easily the show I've looked forward to the most every week this season, and quite honestly, this whole year.

The fact that it's now completely fucking batshit just makes things better.

The only thing that actually sucks about the show is that it's utterly hideous about half the time.

Also, I was totally right about all the monsters being themed after various methods of execution and torture. Not that that wasn't incredibly obvious from the outset.

This show also reminds me that I should probably get around to finishing Kamen Rider Ryuki at some point.

I know it doesn't technically count as anime, but if you're one of those anime fans that likes cool animations and colorful artstyles and haven't seen Secret of Kells I can't recommend it enough. It's beautifully animated and has an amazing art style. I remember watching it 2-3 years ago. If you have US Netflix it's available for streaming.

Back on topic of anime though, planning on watching Gundam SEED. Reviews seem decent enough.

I know it doesn't technically count as anime, but if you're one of those anime fans that likes cool animations and colorful artstyles and haven't seen Secret of Kells I can't recommend it enough. It's beautifully animated and has an amazing art style. I remember watching it 2-3 years ago. If you have US Netflix it's available for streaming.

Back on topic of anime though, planning on watching Gundam SEED. Reviews seem decent enough.

SEED is awful; SEED Destiny, even more so.

I guess it might be an okay introduction to the franchise, but I'd just say to suck it up and watch the original (the compilation movies are pretty great, too, although they cut out a couple of major parts; they also have improved animation, which helps with a show as notorious for looking awful as OG Gundam is). If not, I dunno, Gundam X might work (disclaimer: I have not actually seen Gundam X yet, but have heard great things).

Unless you're actively opposed to traditional cel animation and insist on digital. In which case, there's really not a whole lot to choose from. Build Fighters is reportedly great, but I get the impression that a neophyte might not enjoy it nearly as much as a seasoned Gundam fan would (again, I haven't seen it, so take what I said with a metric fuckton of salt).

LordCanti

Monogatari 22

So good.
Kaiki
is turning out to be the most interesting POV character in a very long time. The revelation that
his "love" died in a traffic accident...maybe Mayoi?
was amazing, and this is one of those times where going back and looking at the text flashes actually paid off.

I'll be sad when this run is over.

jediyoshi

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions 4

7qX4BLZ.png

5JYtT7w.png

Yikes, Nibutani is ice cold. At least MC was completely unphased by it.
There's so little innocence left in the club now ]:

zeroshiki

They've announced the 2013 Light Novel sales rankings and... its as bad as you think.

Code:
*1 2,006,033 Sword Art Online
*2 1,051,305 Kagerou Days
*3 *,947,772 Mahouka Koukou no Kyoutousei
*4 *,727,435 Hataraku Maou-sama
*5 *,707,626 Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome ha Machigatteiru
*6 *,650,692 New Index
*7 *,618,026 Monogatari Series
*8 *,612,472 Date A Live
*9 *,565,787 Kuroko no Basket -Replace-
10 *,546,142 Accel World
11 *,516,907 Mondaichi-tachi ga Isekei kara kurusoudesuyo
12 *,369,306 Strike the Blood
13 *,358,990 Infinite Stratos
14 *,357,498 Oreimo
15 *,346,173 High School DXD
16 *,290,715 Haganai
17 *,271,999 Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
18 *,267,088 Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
19 *,235,532 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
20 *,198,895 Hidan no Aria
21 *,191,094 Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuuraba sugiru
22 *,189,537 Seirei tsukai no Kenmai
23 *,180,426 Kikkou shoujo wa kizu tsukanai
24 *,178,154 Ryuugoroshi no sugosu hibi
25 *,170,295 Haganai CONNECT
26 *,169,178 Gate Jieitai kareo no chi ni te, kakutatakeri Novelization
27 *,165,883 Horizon
28 *,158,304 Blue Exorcist
29 *,157,423 Kotenbu Series
30 *,155,964 Index

Its actually upto 30 but I can't be bothered to write it all out. IS is 13th, Oreimo 14th, Haganai 16th and Kotenbu(!!!) is 29th at 157,423 copies.

EDIT: I lied, here's the whole list.

Andrew J.

Yamato 2199 25

That bird is freaky.

Desler just won't stay dead.

Yesss, the space submarineis back! And it's fighting for the good guys, too.

Goer survived an awfully long time, but at least his death was appropriately humiliating.

Desler's dead, again. Let's hope it sticks through the final episode.

They've announced the 2013 Light Novel sales rankings and... its as bad as you think.

Its actually upto 30 but I can't be bothered to write it all out. IS is 13th, Oreimo 14th, Haganai 16th and Kotenbu(!!!) is 29th at 157,423 copies.

With how popular it is, you think they'll try and hasten up the release of the Kagerou Days anime.

Defuser

Can't wait to see how much increase will Mahouka LN sales get when the anime gets aired. Maou sama and SNAFU is expected given by how good the shows are and Index dropped due to no Index season 3.

LordCanti

Wait, what? When (aka which scene) was this revealed?

She says something about unrequited love and then it pops up real fast as text. It could be a mistranslation, but I can't tell since it's written (I only speak moon; I can't read it).

Nadeko: "I'm fine with my love being unrequited. If you could stay in an unrequited love forever, don't you think that's better than having it requited, Kaiki?"

Text: Unrequited - She died in a traffic accident anyway. - While I know love, I don't know losing it.

Could be a completely unrelated person, of course.

Dresden

Worse than Kirito.

>Regrowth - Allows complete recovery of any form of damage/injury. It is not a form of recovery magic; instead, by reverse-reading the records of the Eidos, copying the past information of the target and directly overwriting it, he is able to make the injury "not have existed in the first place".
>Decomposition - Decomposes material into atoms. Has been used by Tatsuya to unarm hundreds of soldiers from their guns at once.
>Material Burst - Decomposes substances into pure energy following E=MC2, almost like an atomic bomb. Actually produces more energy than an atomic bomb, as energy is not lost to collisions between electrons and positrons like in annihilation reactions.
>Elite martial artist by world standard. His physical ninja skills are so impressive people thinks they are spells, when they're just his natural parameters.
>Elite class strategist by world standards
>Incredible speed at releasing magic, elite of the elite by world standards. Can essentially eliminate the buffer time completely
>Nearly unlimited magic supply
>Eyes analyze magic, allows him to cancel spells.
>The worlds greatest magic technology engineer
>His crippling flaws are that he's merely "average" in looks and suffers from weakened emotions, making him the cool badass stoic character. He also is bad at baby tier spells, making people discriminate against him.

Mahouka is complete garbage.

I just wish more LNs were licensed in the U.S. I may have to support Yen Press' releases of Accel World and SAO when those are available next year even though I have yet to watch either of their anime adaptations.

zeroshiki

>His crippling flaws are that he's merely "average" in looks and suffers from weakened emotions, making him the cool badass stoic character. He also is bad at baby tier spells, making people discriminate against him.

This is the worst obfuscated self-insert ever.

I just wish more LNs were licensed in the U.S. I may have to support Yen Press' releases of Accel World and SAO when those are available next year even though I have yet to watch either of their anime adaptations.

None of them are worth buying except for Haruhi.

I really wish the Monogatari series would be localized here, but I could understand why that might be a nightmare to translate. It would also probably make me have a much lower opinion of the series, because the prose probably isn't any good in the first place.

LordCanti

I really wish the Monogatari series would be localized here, but I could understand why that might be a nightmare to translate. It would also probably make me have a much lower opinion of the series, because the prose probably isn't any good in the first place.

I've read the bits of Monogatari that are translated (up to just before where the anime is right now) and I actually love it. I'd pay out the ass for an official translation.

I've read the bits of Monogatari that are translated (up to just before where the anime is right now) and I actually love it. I'd pay out the ass for an official translation.

The translation is really, really awkward. I had to struggle to read Kizu. I got through it, but it wasn't exactly that enjoyable.

OceanBlue

Worse than Kirito.

Mahouka is complete garbage.

Lol, in my opinion, it's even worse than the list makes it sound. If I remember correctly, most of his struggles are only because he has to keep his skills a secret. Also the narration likes to remind you how a normal anime protagonist would respond to contrast it with his stoicness.

Aren't there English versions of Spice & Wolf? Buy that.

I already have all of the current volumes of Haruhi, Spice & Wolf, and even a few single volume novels like Welcome to the NHK and All You Need is Kill (all for the Yoshitoshi ABe cover art).

I would love to see more LNs and other anime related novels like the Monogatari series translated and officially released, but I do understand the challenges of translating multiple volume series to a niche audience.

wonzo

Banned
Teekyuu 33

tkyuu33.jpg

I'm gonna make sure theres a line in my will that everyone gets shitfaced and has a fun time at my funeral!

Kuromajo 43

kuromajo43.jpg

I'm sure Tika has some "moving photos" of her getting it on with Kurotori's grandfather stuck somewhere in the back.

Aren't there English versions of Spice & Wolf? Buy that.

For reals.

zeroshiki

I already have all of the current volumes of Haruhi, Spice & Wolf, and even a few single volume novels like Welcome to the NHK and All You Need is Kill (all for the Yoshitoshi ABe cover art).

I would love to see more LNs and other anime related novels like the Monogatari series translated and officially released, but I do understand the challenges of translating multiple volume series to a niche audience.

I own English versions of Crest of the Stars and 12 Kingdoms. You could try those too but they probably don't accomplish your objective of helping the English LN community since the publisher for those is all but dead.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Code:
*1 2,006,033 Sword Art Online
*2 1,051,305 Kagerou Days
*3 *,947,772 Mahouka Koukou no Kyoutousei
*4 *,727,435 Hataraku Maou-sama
*5 *,707,626 Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome ha Machigatteiru
*6 *,650,692 New Index
*7 *,618,026 Monogatari Series
*8 *,612,472 Date A Live
*9 *,565,787 Kuroko no Basket -Replace-
10 *,546,142 Accel World
11 *,516,907 Mondaichi-tachi ga Isekei kara kurusoudesuyo
12 *,369,306 Strike the Blood
13 *,358,990 Infinite Stratos
14 *,357,498 Oreimo
15 *,346,173 High School DXD
16 *,290,715 Haganai
17 *,271,999 Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
18 *,267,088 Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
19 *,235,532 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
20 *,198,895 Hidan no Aria
21 *,191,094 Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuuraba sugiru
22 *,189,537 Seirei tsukai no Kenmai
23 *,180,426 Kikkou shoujo wa kizu tsukanai
24 *,178,154 Ryuugoroshi no sugosu hibi
25 *,170,295 Haganai CONNECT
26 *,169,178 Gate Jieitai kareo no chi ni te, kakutatakeri Novelization
27 *,165,883 Horizon
28 *,158,304 Blue Exorcist
29 *,157,423 Kotenbu Series
30 *,155,964 Index

At least Hataraku Maou and SNAFU took the number 4 and 5 combo. :)

Gundam Build Fighters 2

The Gunpla talk makes my eyes glaze over, but the cartoony expressions are too good to pass up. I did get a kick out of Ramba Ral (or whatever his name is) randomly showing up in the school gym for no good reason.

Andrew J.

Yamato 2199 26 FINAL

Aw yeah, that is the exact right amount of goofy plot twists and resurrections.

If you like military science fiction even a little then you owe it to yourself to watch this show. It's smart, heartfelt, and has good animation; finding anime with just one of those is hard enough.

It has problems. Parts of certain episodes are poorly paced. The female costume design is absurdly sexualized. There's not nearly enough of Joji Nakata's character. But these issues pale in comparison with the skill and passion with which the overall work was executed.

My highest recommendation. AOTY voting just got a little tricker for me.

kills me that there is only one volume of KJ in English :(
the Nisioisin Xxxholic book is quite well written, a good Monogatari translation is possible but not v likely

Del Rey did the first two volumes of Zaregoto, too, but then they closed their manga division. Kodansha Comics USA should do a license rescue of it, although that's way less likely than Monogatari at this point.

I've heard it's actually better than Monogatari, though. Not sure why it never got an anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom